Bitcoin miner in firefox addons

>bitcoin miner in firefox addons.
>addons are autoapproved starting firefox 57.
Firefox is finished.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/ParticleCore/Iridium/issues/189
github.com/ParticleCore/Iridium/issues/149
github.com/ParticleCore/Iridium
github.com/ParticleCore/Iridium/commit/f8030c133db598707bcddb5d855b22664747eb46
github.com/ParticleCore/Iridium/wiki/Features#miner_threads
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

holy fuck just inject ads to steam it'll be better

wtf? i hate firefox now!

>addon promptly removed from the store
>MOZILLA IS FINISHED AND BANKRUPT

Reminder that monero is literally an ad you can block

> :)

ugh, fuck off

Majority of those type of people are going to put the crypto/coin miners in userscripts like what the youtube + dev is going to do in his new version called Iridium that works with youtubes new layout.

How do you know he is going to do that, the youtube+ dev?

Also github.com/ParticleCore/Iridium/issues/149
He's done a better job going about the whole thing but that really isn't saying much.

At least he's nice enough to tell about it in advance.

>all of a sudden coin hive is a thing
>all of a sudden everyone has been thinking about it for a long time
People are just greedy.

Guess I won't update my script

its against firefox terms of service

That's sad unfortunately. Webext was supposed to be a restrictive API to prevent botnets, that's really sad.

Microsoft Edge doesn't have this problem.

It'll be useless anyway once Youtube stops allowing you to change back to the old layout. Once that happens I guess you could try maia-yt by the youtube center dev?

I am talking about the new iridium, it doesn't have mining yet.

>Webext was supposed to be a restrictive API to prevent botnets, that's really sad.
Cryptocurrency mining doesn't need any features from the API so there's no way that would have prevented it.

It's going to be opt-in anyway as a way to donate. If it isn't I'm sure there will be multiple forks.

I hope someone forks and maintains it regardless because it shouldn't be in there period.

Hahhaah... I commented on this piece of shit's intent. He banned me.

People who put coin miners into their scripts and websites are the biggest peices of shit ever.

Eat shit ParticleCore.

lmao at the faggots defending him

I can't tell if this bait or not

Nah, you're just a freeloading piece of shit. Rot in hell, Nick.

>being this cucked
kek.
enjoy running that malware.

people are getting way too greedy
everyone wants to be like fucking youtubers, replacing their job with their hobby

>implying
I don't run any malware. I also don't bitch about software devs who do it for free and want to at least make something from devving.

is there an addon that can switch the destination address of the mining so i can earn the coins my hardware is mining?

it's ridiculous. you'll have to endure a 2 min commercials before videos after Youtube adds DRM and now most websites will run this shit in the background and slow everything down while you read some news story.

Who would willingly install this shit except for normies who don't care? With that being said isn't it a good thing? Idiots will subsidize the internet for the rest of us.

If youtube adds DRM I think that'll be the push it needs to kill the platform and we'll move onto the next big thing.

>want to at least make something from devving
that's called a job, user

it's just the matter of time. Google voted for DRM during he W3C meet. They'll add it to all YT videos because it will block ads. But they'll hide their decision by saying something like "copyright owners have asked us for DRM so we've had to comply." and every channel will turn it on because ad revenue will increase.

problem is that youtube as it is isn't profitable?
besides dentralized p2p, how?

decentralized*
damned tablet

>1990
>i make operating systems and enterprise grade software for free in the hopes it will help people
>2017
>i made a 30 loc javascript extension here is my patreon, flattr, bitcoin wallet, paypal please follow and subscribe

Back in the day programmers were enthusiasts. Now it's mostly people who got on the high wages bandwagon.

Fuck, what a greedy bastard, i use that script. Now i have to remove it.

Literally one application.

>crypto/coin miners in userscripts like what the youtube + dev is going to do in his new version called Iridium
github.com/ParticleCore/Iridium

Nope, it's open source

github.com/ParticleCore/Iridium/commit/f8030c133db598707bcddb5d855b22664747eb46

Oh...

Open source doesn't mean people won't put malicious or dumb shit in their stuff. It also doesn't mean people won't download/run it either because there is always some retard who won't even bother checking what they're using despite it being open source. Best example I can think of would be the userscript site. It used to be filled with scripts with dumb shit linking to malware or other such garbage.

What is a good alternative?

From looking at the first couple of changes it seems it's disabled by default.
So is it really a deal-breaker if it's opt-in?

Something to use with Youtubes new layout? Either hope someone will maintain a fork of Iridium without whatever dumb stuff he may put in it or use maia-yt userscript.

It is, he lists what and how it works in specifically edit 2.
That's really up to the user though. Personally I don't think it has a place anywhere in anything.

> 2018 every extension have a crypto miner
> integrated. Your graphic card run at 100%
> everytime you launch the browser.

Wow

>steam inventory helper
Reevaluate your life choices at the earliest convenience.

Hahahah, youtube will never die, you can't kill it, and Google has tried.
>You can't say mean no-no words
>"Guess we'll just have to be family friendly xd"

>insert your steam login credentials and credit card.

What sort of moron would click on that?

>didn't see this thread in the catalog because OP is too dumb to fill out the subject field

No it's true. github.com/ParticleCore/Iridium/wiki/Features#miner_threads

Developers are already including crypto miners in their extensions.

Iridium works with the new material layout.

>What sort of moron would click on that?
Sup Forumstards would do it happily. On chrome's store alone, there are nearly a million users.

As long as it's completely opt-in, I can't see why it's awful.

It sets a precedence so that this sort this becomes "allowed".

Oh you mean microshit windaids users. Who gives a fuck then, those cucks certainly don't.

Wait until this sort of behavior becomes then "norm" and devs to put crypto miners in their software that aren't "opt in".
>ib4 muh slippery slope fallacy

We've already seen this in the Landuke vs Stallman argument of "I want to make money so I can feed my kids" against "If you are going to offer code for free you cannot make money of it"

why did you even use this shitty addon instead of youtube center?

(You) that was mildly funny

>Although I might change my mind about this later, initially this will be enabled by default

read up on slippery slope
and not just a wiki article
>hurrrdurr called it muh fallacy
nah, actually read up on it you'll realize the premise is all wrong

When you go to a fancy restaurant how many cpu cycles do you usually tip?

help Sup Forums

Why don't you get a real job instead of frying millions of people's cpu for peanuts?

>ching chong firefox
You're getting taken for a ride by fucking chinks and it's your own fault.

>having the steam botnet installed on your computer
>somehow firefox's fault
lmao, you retarded goys deserve it

>people will read this and see no problem with it
>they'll install it anyway
>most of the shit plugins that have this "feature" are probably useless junk you could live without 9/10 times

I hate you fucking normalfags.

How long before people inject this into mobile apps? Is that even feasible?

>damaging computers by making use of them
Is this the power of Intel's TIM?

No one would do it on mobile apps, wrecking the battery life is enough reason for most people to get rid of whatever app is fucking shit up
Only doing it while charging would work but Google would never allow it on the Play Store

So what happens if this shit gets popular, and every extension is running a coin miner and every site is running a js coin miner? What are normies going to do?

nothing wrong is user knows this

>everyones computers get slow
>normies buy high core count cpus
>cpu manfactures double the amount of cores each year to accommodate for to increase of computational power required for browsing the web.
>2023
>128 core CPU's are the "norm" and are 100% necessary for browsing the web

webext was supposed to be shit

I'm ok with this.

I fucking told you cucks, I fucking TOLD you this would happen!

It was also to give Mozilla a green light to throw away pieces of Firefox's internals rather than strictly for security.

t. Moralfag

>everyone wants to be like fucking youtubers
But user, they're the future of entrainment.

cryptocurrenct was a mistake

I'm legitimately scared, besides that steam helper and Iridium, what other firefox addons do this?

noscript

No way, prove it.

>
>Wait until this sort of behavior becomes then "norm" and devs to put crypto miners in their software that aren't "opt in".
If opt-in becomes the norm, devs who put miners that are on by default will continue to get their shit wrecked by Mozilla et al. If miners get popular, very soon every major application/plugin marketplace will make its policy on miners clear, and it will be financially stupid of them to allow opt-out, always on or hidden miners, so they won't.

Opt-in will never work. Reasons:

1. No-one will opt-in unless they are deeply loyal and gratuitous to the producer
2. Increases friction of UX since you have to show a pop up or modal asking for consent. This will cause bounce rates to sky rocket.
3. Why ask for consent when the average user wouldn't have any idea?