What's actually happening when a system is installing?

What's actually happening when a system is installing?

Is it compiling or is it just copying files? I think the ones that take a long time to install are compiling and copying files.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.osdev.org/Expanded_Main_Page
weibo.com/u/2949960743?is_hot=1
weibo.com/tv/v/F8JD47lqh?fid=1034:1ebbaec855331dd861838b2c9e021f46
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Copying,

but file copy operations are relatively fast. i can install gnu/linux in about 10 minutes on my machine, any distro. but to install macos or windows it's going to take a while longer, and the fans rev up too. sounds the same as when i'm compiling software, so i think it's compiling the os

>t. brainlet
You're one of those people who don't even know what compiling is, aren't you?

Please stop

kek'd

>he's never compiled a graphics engine

What was it fuck

Rather than copying, it's usually extracting from archives. The ones that take forever do so because people think that it's important to compress the shit out of things like it's 1997, when bandwidth to download or fit them on a CD was important, and they take longer to decompress.

This.
I need to know too. What was it?

brap meme

got any sources i can read? apple and microsoft don't exactly make this stuff common knowledge

>sources
your OS comes on a CD rom, ergo it is compressed.

lrn2archive

wiki.osdev.org/Expanded_Main_Page

Windows installs a lot of small files that contain fragments of Quality, something linux doesn't have.

basically;
1. file copy
2. specialization/customization

linux installs are often faster than windows due to;
a. file copy taking less time due to less shit filesystems, and less data to copy
b. linux detects hardware during boot, so installs need not be specialized
c. some installers can do part of the customization (language, users, timezone, etc) during file copy

Extracting and copying files

windows install mines a tiny bit of a bitcoin to recoup the cost of having user that didn't install gentoo.

most installers use just one core

What a spooky ghoul.

weibo.com/u/2949960743?is_hot=1

looks cute to me
weibo.com/tv/v/F8JD47lqh?fid=1034:1ebbaec855331dd861838b2c9e021f46

>mines a tiny bit of a bitcoin
Would the average FB user detect this if it happened? FB could data mine users to see who has CPU to spare and lacks the intellectual capacity to see what is going on.

Windows installs lots of small files, however it doesn't install everything that could be installed, but instead scans hardware to find what's needed. the probing of harware, in addition to building the configuration files and registry (especially this), is what takes up CPU power. if it were just copying it'd just be a breeze. does your CPU ever heat up with the fans spinnning when you copy 40GB of data from one drive to another? no, so there's the difference

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.. did you just make that up?

>Windows
>compiling in the user's machine
You don't know what compiling means.