/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

launchpad.net/~legimet/ archive/ubuntu/abrowser-kde
IMARETARD:3525
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
github.com/gnab/rtl8812au)
gnu.org/philosophy/not-ipr.en.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

a toilet is not a hat

how do I install Ubuntu to my actual ssd and not just my usb sticks ? Every time it makes me manually partition the drives and the ssd is not showing up.

Don't be a pussy, install on your main drive.

how ?

I want to install gnu icecat in mint/KDE because current version of mint/KDE firefox can't open links on github (shitty github javascript hyperlink buttons don't work for whatever reason)

I found this:
launchpad.net/~legimet/ archive/ubuntu/abrowser-kde

But when I try to add the repo it says my system isn't supported (they don't do ubuntu xenial 16.04 I guess), is there a way to force it anyways? Or a way to install manually?

What exactly you wanna do here? Install iso on ssd to have a live ubuntu (if ssd is external) or to install as a normal OS (if it's internal)?

normal os

install source mage

how do I set up hostnames for my local network.

I want to be able to do "BitchServer" rather than 192.168.1.blah

If SSD isn't showing up then could it be that you connected SSD incorrectly or it's disabled in BIOS?

etc hostname
etc hosts

can you stop trolling and name the thread Wine/Linux from now on?

>hostname
id rather not have to maintain a hostname across multiple machines especially when the dchpc is dynamic

Thats how fucking host names work you fucking dipshit

In FireFox, how do I get the back and forward button to show a cached version of the page, instead of reloading the page? I'll click a link, but before I'm transferred to the new page, see something which catches my interest, so after I am transferred to the new page, I hit the back button, only to find the old page has completely refreshed and the thing which caught my interest is now completely gone. Also, this would help with reducing data usage.

But user, all of the images and other media content is stored in your cache. Loading the html is mear bytes of data

so you're telling me absolutely every site in the world is on a hosts file on your computer right now and not resolved upon-request

take a picture of the partitioning screen where the SSD is not showing up and post the picture here

raspbian question
how do i setup my samba server to grant full rights to all folders in LAN? im a dummy please speak slowly to me

Effectively yes, that is basically what DNS does.

But this is your local network, you dont need a dns server.
Just fucking put it in hostname
then IMARETARD:3525 or the fuck else you're trying to do

idk, but I have a forward arrow. It shows up when I've actually gone backward so going forward is an actual option. Otherwise it's hidden

Suppose you can only choose a systemd-free disto. Which do you pick?

>Devuan
>Gentoo
>Void
>Alpine
>Slackware
>something else (specify)

alpine, its gnu free as well, which is a a very good thing

bullet to the head

t. le systemd man

I'm using Devuan atm, so guess my answer

Gentoo?

From that list: Gentoo
Otherwise: GuixSD

Parabola with OpenRC

Setup DNS server on one of your computers.

>be hardware manufacturer
>make a product
>write a driver for it
>don't keep it up to date with mainline kernel
>refuse to release the source for it, only provide blobs so kernel devs can't keep it up to date for you either
>get pissy and defensive when customers are annoyed that they're stuck on old, insecure kernel versions if they want to use your product
>blame free software for those customers never buying from you again
Why do companies do this?

Not needed

are you mearly pretending to be retarded?

I have no idea, but is there a reason you are not using nfs instead of samba?

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Seems like you have a few ideas already. I would like to suggest you boot a live distro and use that for web browsing and keep something like devuan for a desktop.

oh shit I know what that is

it's what you see when you have a migraine

I get them and it waves around a bit then I go blind for five minutes was pretty fucking scary the first time it happened I didn't even know you could go blind when a migraine starts

it's a weird kind of blind, too. You can see - you know you can see, but your brain just doesn't register anything, it's like a blindspot across your entire vision.

managed/run by incompetent and lazy people

>mearly

are you?
>you better not be

There are still linux jobs out there right guys?

Seems like most people even in IT barely know what linux is these days.

should i learn programming by modifying other people's programs? it seems way better than starting from scratch following courses, as you actually make something that you want to make or the changes you want
samba seems easier
i just want to browse my files in the most straight forward way
anyway, i did sudo chmod -R 777 to the folder i wanted and now i can actually do stuff to it through samba from windows haha

Linux jobs are pointless now that you can use Ubuntu with the NT kernel :^)

How does that make it pointless? You would still need to know about linux to use it even if its running inside of windows.

hahaha ebin xDDD

gnu is uneeded political garbage and does not belong on a linux system

I am on Manjaro and I am trying to install some rtl8812AU drivers for my wifi USB adapter. I downloaded the drivers from github (github.com/gnab/rtl8812au) and I am trying to make or install the drivers. However, when I try to run any kind of command, I get this error:
make[1]: *** /lib/modules/4.9.50-1-MANJARO/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
make: *** [Makefile:1052: modules] Error 2

I installed Linux49 headers and base-devel from Google searches telling me to, but I keep getting this error and Google searches aren't giving me the information I need. What am I doing wrong and how should I go about fixing everything so I can install the drivers? I'm still trying to learn this.

You could get rich with a job as clown for birthday parties. I can't stop laughing!

level up your router or use hostname.local and ensure all you machines speak bonjour/mdns/zeroconf/avahi

This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

fake news, it isn't ready for prime time yet. Also it doesn't make the OS any more suiable for servers.

This here friends is the stallmanite suffering cognitive dissonance.

Have you got your linux headers installed? At least on debian /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build comes from the package linux-headers-`uname -r` and it isn't installed by default.

Your mind just hasn't been the same since the electro-shock, has it?

I heard you got a brain transplant and the brain rejected you!

Everyone has the right to be stupid, but I'm afraid you've abused the privilege.

I do, or I believe I did. I ran sudo pacman -S linux49-headers in the terminal, but I guess that may not be the correct command since I'm getting the same error beforehand.

Do you still love nature, despite what it did to you?

>pacman -S linux49-headers
uh wut
sudo pacman -S linux-headers
bruh

curl -sS randominsults.net | sed -n '//{s;^.*\(.*\).*$;\1;p}'

Thanks. Will add to build system on monday.

So how long after RMS kicks it do you think GNU and the FSF will last? I give it about two years.

No problem, satan.

The linux49 command was the one I found from several google searches, so I thought that was it. It asked me to reinstall it, but I did it anyway. It was giving me the same error, so I restarted the computer and the command finally worked and installed the driver. Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Try using a search engine which respects your privacy.

arch is rolling release, unless you go out of your way to use a non up to date kernel, it will always just be 'linux' when relating to kernel things.

Why didnt you look on the website under teh packages tab and find the package name?

Will do so in the future.
Because I'm retarded and I'm still trying to get the hang of everything. I didn't understand how to use the site at first, but now I do since everything makes sense now, so thank you.

I feel like free software would be improved it was separated from RMS and the rest of his political views.

Though it will be funny if the FSF dies with him and therefore the most vocal advocate of anything similar to what he is suggesting is the Mises Institute (though it's against Intellectual Property in general, which he still supports.)

gnu.org/philosophy/not-ipr.en.html

I think they should have focused on "standards" instead of tackling everything head on.

I think even the most anti-GNU fags out there would have to consider agreeing that anywhere we have "standard software" it should be required by law to be free software. Schools for example should never teach a class with any proprietary tools nor should they offer discounted/free software to students like windows.

Most people don't see the benefits when you're telling them that software they use is bad. They'd rather just decide that RMS is wrong right off the bat and then come up with why they think he's wrong after the fact.
But focusing on software standards only would have been a realistic goal.

I shouldn't have said "supports IP" but rather "does not oppose IP to the extent that the people at the Mises Institute (most notably Stephan Kinsella) do."

GTK needs to be eradicated.

shattup hagrid

shattap GNOMEfag

agreed bring back gtk2 or just kill it for good. gtk3 is a joke.

GTK2 was shit as well. I refuse to let Glib trash touch any of my software.
Too bad there is no viable gooey toolkit available.

>mfw typing "man tree"

see
>mear bytes of data

REKT

what is the best disassembler for linux

I think nfs is easier. its really simple. i dont think samba is that simple

>mfw typing "man tree"

>nfs
>that's a real nice directory you got there
>it'd be a shame if something were to happen to it and its parent
>*disconnects*

>Subject: (empty)
>Picture: Pixelated screenshot of an article without providing a link
>Comment: *breathes* HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA

Why is this allowed?

I know the absolute basics of navigating a debian terminal. What distro should I get on my new laptop? I just want to unbotnet

*gnu/linux

Either Debian unstable or, if you're feeling plucky, Antergos. After that I'd try base Arch, and at that point you'll be good to pick your own distro.

why are there no FOSS disassemblers for linux

>Too bad there is no viable gooey toolkit available.

why not Qt?

also FLTK, FOX, Tk, wxWidgets...

its late and im on drugs, please explain to me what youre getting at

NFS has a nasty bug on all versions where if the connection to the server is lost, the directory which the external share was mounted to and its parent directory become completely inaccessible, and It also makes any program that tries to access the directories hang. There is no way to recover the directories save for a hard reboot.

it's a real fucking pain in the ass I'll tell you what.

Debian Stable or Debian Testing.
AntiX is kind of fun and free of systemd
Lubuntu is ok. Xubuntu is probably ok. All the Linux Mints are probably fine, especially the XFCE based ones

The thing I dont like about Debian Unstable is you are stuck on it, as far as I can tell anyway. Debian Testing can be locked onto the release and used until it becomes Stable. I dont think there is an easy way to do this with Unstable

oh wow, I think Ive run into this. Is this bug present on non-systemd setups as well?

Thanks. Reading the rice article on the wiki, it seems like Plasma or KFCE are the DE's a hopeless riceboi like me should be looking at. What's your preference? Cinnamon also seems neat

If you're using an unreliable server, use nfs soft mount option. Only use NFS when the network and server can be assumed to be as available as power.

it's not related to systemd, it's a bug in NFS itself. It happens on my gentoo, debian, and ubuntu systems.

it's not that the server is unreliable, it's that I use it as my home directory for my systems on my LAN so I can have a centralized /home for all my computers.

Unfortunately I use my laptop a lot and when I leave the LAN, it all goes tits up.

On a side note, I've wanted to figure out how to create a VPN so I can be on my LAN at all times, but I've only been able to figure out how to use a VPN as a personal proxy so far. I can't figure out how to access my home network through the VPN server.

I'll try the soft mount options and see if that helps

What the hell is the point of using a showcase distro if you aren't even using the DE that distro is showcasing?

>I know the absolute basics of navigating a debian terminal.
Did you try reading the OP? Or did you think that was there just for decoration?