/hpg/ Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Sescom-SES-AUDIO-AB-Stereo-Audio-Switch/dp/B008BMLXAU
soundcloud.com/user7734010
akg.com/Headphones/Professional Headphones/K712PRO.html
innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR009.pdf
clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2015/05/introduction-measurement-procedures.html
asa.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1121/1.4984044
youtu.be/5dLsBorzaDM
youtu.be/EuGfYbxu9MY
youtu.be/rwgGmy0SfOw
ghentaudio.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Modern wood glue is so powerful that to bond it creates is stronger than the wood fiber surrounding it.

Is there anything like that for plastic? My headphones snapped.

Araldite.
Or if you don't have that in your country, look for something called "2-part epoxy".

Cute yuyu uwu

i want to kill myself. maybe I'll use my hd600s and hd598s cable to create a noose

So I have a setup like my current diagram – turntable to preamp, then preamp to my speaker amp or headphone amp.

Currently I have to unplug the cables between the amp and the preamp every time I want to change whether I'm using speakers or headphones (no line-out on my speaker amp).

Is there something available that takes a single RCA input and allows me to switch between two outputs easily? I've seen products out that take two inputs into one output, but that's the opposite out.

I also want something that looks nice if possible.

Not sure if this is the right place but feel free to tell me to get lost or point me in the right direction.

Schiit sys.

Any rca switcher.

amazon.com/Sescom-SES-AUDIO-AB-Stereo-Audio-Switch/dp/B008BMLXAU

How much do you have to spend on headphones before dacs/amps become worth while?

dude, sell all that buy the DT880 600ohm and the emotiva a-100 with the direct drive
you'll be much happier

$200 to $300

This is exactly what I;m looking for, thanks.

This won't colour my sound at all or anything will it?

Stupid question, but how do I tell which way I should wear M1060? Does the fat side of the pad go in the front, or in the back?

Nah it's just a relay switch or in schiits case a passive pre with a relay switch.

Amps are totally dependent on the load the headphone presents.

Dacs never make a difference

THICC on the back

>DT880 600ohm
treble: the headphone

Nah they're on the bright side of neutral

Grados are treble the headphone

>i want to kill myself

>insists on staying in mid-fi

No wonder. Just sell you headpho-

>insists on not selling his shit
maybe you should kill yourself

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

the HD600 isn't the best headphone tho

We /yys/ now. All headphones are equally great. The HD600 is simply more equallier greatieriesterererererererererer. Er.

>
What're the closed-back versions of the HD5XX that can do this?

HD598Cs.

Can a balanced setup actually provide better separation? I imagine it would have to be subtle but is there any? It seems, in theory, like less of a meme than a lot of things

>actually wanting better separation
>not using crossfeed

>What is the second best headphone behind the ma900?
Fixed

I want to hear your music, /hpg/. soundcloud.com/user7734010

literally garbage

any thoughts on the AKG K712s? also you can get them on amazon for $300

akg.com/Headphones/Professional Headphones/K712PRO.html

any help?

>No veil
>No vice around my ears
It's way better than any alternative and comfy as fuck

hd598c

decent bass for an open headphone, but it's more bright than bassy, highs are not harsh though. comfy. good all-arounder. decent alternative to the 600s if you don't mind a more colored sound

And you can get them on ebay for around $250 or less

>Diffused target compensated
Kek

Change Log:
- Get prices from amazon API rounded up to nearest dollar
- Add shekel links
- Minor Visual Improvements
- Add M50x because people keep asking where it is(originally excluded in favor of the M40x)
- Add details for T50RP, DT770PRO, and K612

Additional comments:
Low end headphones generally converge on three midrange headphones: HD600(neutral), DT880(V), and K7**(inbetween leaning on V). While headphones are not a binary neutral or V, it might be reasonable to do a rough categorization based on that scheme (neutral, v, semi-v).

>HD600
>not endgame

>what is SR009

An inferior headphone to the HD600.

do people actually believe this

I just sat my stupid drunk ass down on my HD 650 and they took it like a champ. I never understood how people could manage to break these and even in my peak retardation I can't break them myself

innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR009.pdf It's shit m8.

clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2015/05/introduction-measurement-procedures.html
>no dummy head
Wow, it's fucking nothing.

Somondre: the headphone

get a fucking headphone stand

ok, MOM

I really want a pair of these, are they worth the money?

I have a schiit stack for home use right now but as I go to sea a lot I would probally get the Hugo 2 to pair them with.

>IEMs
>not Etymotics or HJE120
>are they worth the money
No.

>cheap garbage

No headphone of any type sounds better than the ER-4SR and the HJE120 feature unparalleled comfort and low distortion at $10 making them an ideal IEM for equalization. There's no reason to buy any other IEM than these two.

>v shape sound
>bass heavy
>Pros

Coming from someone who settles for cheap trash and hasn't tried anything else your opinion is invalid.

Baseless ad hominem usage is not an argument.

Hell no.
HD569.

They're the same fucking headphone only the HD598Cs is built better. Compare raw measurement of HD598Cs on rtings with raw measurement of HD569 on Innerfidelity. They're the same thing.

It's ludicrous that HD598Cs got a bad rep here based solely on a flat coupler measurement.

I just don't see how something so inexpensive could beat out flagship, high grade IEM's.

That's to me like saying a Toyota camery is better than a Bentley

I didn't have the chance to hear the ATH-M50x, but I wouldn't say that the M40x measures better.

Maybe the price difference is not worth, but I'd say the M50x measurements look better. I had the M40x for a while, the sound was fun and detailed, I recommend them at their price range, but the bass and the high-treble were noticeably boosted.

Meh. I don't spend too much on headphones. Pair of 650's and Magni/Modi 2 combo.

Just werks.

asa.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1121/1.4984044
Welcome to the world of audio, an industry based largely on snake oil where price is scientifically proven to have no correlation with quality.

>rtings compensated measurements
Only their raw measurements are useful because they use a shitty retard melanin-enhanced target curve for their compensated measurements.

huh

People have different preferences like how some men like cuckoldry and scat.

Also, solderdude's recommended treble reduction for IF graphs is too steep and his measurements should not be taken seriously as they're not done with a dummy head.

Explain to me, in laymen terms "v shape". I understand balanced, and certain parts recessed but what is V shaped?

Boosted bass and treble at the expense of midrange. The most cancerous pleb sound signature of all.

Again, there is no problem when you are comparing two measurements from rtings, as the relative difference is still the same. I find the compensated measurements better to interpret the treble, that's why I've used them.

By the way, the difference between the rtings and the diyaudioheaven measurements are small enough to support that the headphones are really like that.

>Again, there is no problem when you are comparing two measurements from rtings
Just keep in mind with their compensated measurements that they do not represent perceived bass response in the least.
>By the way, the difference between the rtings and the diyaudioheaven measurements are small enough
They're not. The diyaudioheaven measurement makes the FR look like much more of a rollercoaster than it actually is.

>I find the compensated measurements better to interpret the treble, that's why I've used them.
The raw measurements have the target curve on them as reference. They let you see the actual bass response unmolested by the shitty retard target curve while still providing the decent treble aspect of the target curve as a reference. The raw measurements are far more useful on rtings and should always be posted and preferred over the compensated measurements.

What's the modern equiv of the mic in pic related? I can't find it stocked anywhere anymore

What's a good set of IEM's that doesn't feel like shit in your ear? I was considering pic related but got turned off by all the complaints regarding comfort.

probably the Antlion modmic. I use one with a pair of m50's for games and it works pretty well. Just make sure tyou have at least a cheap soundcard or something that isn't the onboard audio for it otherwise there will be quite a bit of noise

HJE120 has the same profile like a earbud (Earpods, VE monk+) and is a IEM.

Holy shit this paper is awesome, this should be in every topic. How to dodge the snake oil purchases??

This is a nice answer. Thank you friend.

Not the original asker.

>Unhappy with too many headphones
>Doesn't want to sell them

>inb4 "HD600 is more accurate" with no refference to what it is accurate to.

put the sound signature in its own category of general information instead of a pro or a con.

What said, i think we could even go a little further and be realistic, no headphone is 100% neutral, just close to neutral at it's best, so you could put "warm/neutral" on HD 600 for example just as you went with "Bright side of neutral" for V6, this way people would really know what they are getting into. (This might trigger shills of more than one brand though).
Also, while FR should have it's own category, i think it's ok to put on Pros " good Bass extension" as a pro if that's the case (one of the selling points of planars) or even just "good Bass" If that's one of the things people who like a headphone praise ir for.

I agree with this statement.

>He thinks mid-fi is endgame

is this the best headphones I could get that

maybe the best

youtu.be/5dLsBorzaDM
youtu.be/EuGfYbxu9MY
youtu.be/rwgGmy0SfOw

Sounds great on my HD600!

Which model has which measurement?

I need some comfy headphones as the top of my head is very sensitive, my budget is $300 and would prefer them to be neutral or a bit v-shaped
What do you guys recommend?

who said i was unhappy with my headphones? i just want to kill myself

Your only solution is to upgrade
Used ma900 for

Absolutely this. Most of all the prices are based on snake oil schemes. That study is a really good find, saved.

No, that is just simply what you would like the believe to be true. It's another study that confirms your bias and yet you've never taken a step back to confirm the legitimacy of the said study.

Your willingness for confirmation bias is no different from those who believe in snake oil and you don't even realize your own hypocrisy

What study is that?

If you want open back, yeah. They're a bit bright though.

>Scientific source vs. You are biased for believing in science.
Are you are going to say evolution is just a theory next?

not very scientific at all. there is a lot of untested unsupported assumptions in that paper.

people look for certain sound signatures that are biased towards the person. Everyone hears differently. measuring to a curve only tells part of the story to why 1 can is subjectively better then another.

>Welcome to the world of audio, an industry based largely on snake oil where price is scientifically proven to have no correlation with quality.
Yes

I'm not sure how to reply to a comment from the last thread, but there was an Ausbro who was asking where to get cables from that don't cost as much as smashed avo: ghentaudio.com/

I bought my cables from these guys years ago. High quality with good braiding for a reasonable price. From what I can remember, they work a bit like Audiogd with email orders.. but my memory is hazy. You can ask for a custom length and I even asked for them to use a different colour sheathing for my xlr cables because I wanted black instead of blue and it was free of charge. They can also give you fast responses if you want advice on your use case.

From what I remember, you can get free shipping (if you don't mind a few weeks of waiting) and customization as they are hand made when you order them.

I think you were looking for rca to xlr - I can't remember (so that's the image)

Oh, and I'm pretty sure they are Ameriburger prices, so keep that in mind when ordering more expensive long cables. Also, they can probably make you a cable with two ends that aren't advertised like say two different usb types on each end if you email them.

will an o2 drive HD800s just fine?

Absolutely

Holy fuckkkkk is this the real world? Are those 500 usd headphones all a bunch of lies?;