Is Infinite Scroll the worst thing to happen to webpage design?

Is Infinite Scroll the worst thing to happen to webpage design?

No, autoplaying videos

Yes

yeah this
especially when they're the background of the page
the hell are they trying to do?

I don't know if I'd say the absolute worst, but it has to be in the top five

As an extension of this, autoplaying videos on news sites that teleport to the corner and follow you while scrolling. I fucking hate that shit I just want to read the text.

Esp. scroll jacked ones

I have to say websites that override the user's scrollbar with javascript to add stupid effects like "smooth scrolling" are worse.

fuck this shit

>click news article
>being scrolling
>suddenly brought back to the top of the page because the shittily optimized video player finally loads
>begins autoplaying
>scroll down
>video keeps playing in a corner
>on top of this the website header stays at the top of the screen and follows your scroll

it's always news websites that have this shit

blocking JS usually leaves the text visible but kills videos, ads, and other bullshit on many news sites.

Yes
And Yes

>Story Time for Sup Forums
>Pic Related

>I'm sick of my mom saying "my computer ($500 laptop) is too slow.
>"All I do is go on Facebook for an hour"(and continually scroll down while opening 15 - 20 links).
>That's why I need a smartphone there not as complicated.
>7 years pass
>Now she has a smartphone and she says "why are they so complicated"
>My stepdad brother and I tryed to tell her to just learn how to use her computer for years.
>Now I have to close her application because she has 8 -9 open at a time
We love her, but some people and tech

Yes.
Fucking facebook chat that just teleports you around arbitrarily as text loads scrolling up.

I usually just delete the container element entirely. Feels good

I'd say popunder ads.
Popup ads became extinct once all the major browsers implemented built in popup blockers.
But now shit sites are using sneakier and more malicious popunders.

The invention of j***script.

What's wrong with Jerkscript?

nice blog pajeet

dynamic content is a scourge. even google makes me fucking rage and it used to be SO SIMPLE. DONT EXPAND THE FUCKING SHIT INLINE IT'S SLOW AS FUCKING DOGSHIT. YOU LET WOMEN PROGRAM THIS DIDNT YOU?

Besides the absurd bloat, the lack of security and it being proprietary? Nothing.

It's not JavaScript that is bad
If we didn't have JavaScript we would have Java applets or ActiveX controls everywhere and that would be even worse
The worst is converting the web from a static medium, offering text and images, to a programmable platform with bloated sites running shitty code on your computers, tracking cookies, targeted advertisement and user-hostile-features like Don't blame JavaScript, blame those that turned the web into shit

pop-up loads:
>yes sign me up for the beach body diet
>no, I've already got a beach body

every single website has some newsletter they are shilling

Yes.
Worse than pop-ups, worse than auto-play videos, worse than those shitty smilie ads from years back.
Fuck all you cunts, give me my pagination back!

The few times I've had to use that shit chat makes me want to end myself.
I hate that jumpy scrolling shit.
I've never used such a shit chat as Facebooks.
There were live-chats in 2002 that worked better.

Not sure if it's because I have a shitty phone, but
>Open news website and open an article.
>It loads perfectly and quickly so I start reading.
>In the middle of reading it, all text disappears for 10 to 30 seconds.
>after being cockblocked and losing interest in the article, as well as being emotionally aggravated, the text loads again and I can finally read the article.
>I don't want to anymore.

only if it doesn't start where you left if you happen to close the tab

this
luckily firefox has an option to turn such absolute garbage off

No,
>"Click here to show more"
is.

All the drawbacks of infinite scroll without the one advantage of not having to click.

is there actually any advantage in tracking?

>Is Infinite Scroll the worst thing to happen to webpage design?
The worst thing? Don't know. There are so many bad things in the modern web, it's hard to point at a "winner".
But it certainly grinds my gears.
Not only are browser in itself bloated pieces of shit that need a few gigabytes of RAM anyways, now you can easily bloat that up even more, if you want to read a lot on a page.
And when the browser inevitably crashes, you can't continue where you left, because its all dynamic.

Oh, and this:
also is high up on my list, right next with those fucking floating headers on websites.
Remember, back in the days, when you simply tpyed in url.tld in your adress bar, and you got a site where you could start reading?
Nowadays you have to wait till it is loaded, because before it is, it will just jump around randomly, then hunt for the video, making noises, and then when you start reading, you realize that the header is blocking most of the text when scrolling, so you have to open ublock and try to get rid of it without accidentally deleting something important.

Oh, and on load delays:
oebb.at
Austrian railways.
WTF are they doing? Can anybody tell me WTF is wrong with those fuckers?

Not quite. The slideshows are worse in my opinion.

after javascript, yes

autoplay video ads for third place

It's good having a browser that supports reader mode. :)

The real worst these days is the opposite, when you have to click next a lot (reloading ads)

>using HTTP/S in 2017

you fuckers have gotten what you deserve

most annoying shit I can turn off or disable, but infinite scrolling...