So I got this iPhone 5 from a relative in Austria, and it seems to be "provider locked"...

So I got this iPhone 5 from a relative in Austria, and it seems to be "provider locked". Some local phone services claim that they can do it for 30e, but I really have no clue if this is even possible, and what is the success rate of these unlockings. I got some background in programming, so maybe I could try to do it myself, just not sure where to start, it is even possible? Thoughts Sup Forums?

Give it back Jamal

options:
1. have it unlocked by the original carrier
2. jailbreak
3. pay 30e (which is really just them jailbreaking it for you)

The original carrier is few hundred kilometers away, so I guess that's not an option. Jailbreak would be interesting to try. Also, is this like a normal thing these guys do, as in routine. I'm just a bit sceptical that they might fuck something up

Wrong question to say that to retard. He's asking about CARRIER unlocking, not stolen phone iCloud unlocking.

Jailbreak and carrier unlocking are not even in the same ballpark!

Tnx, I didn't even want to bother with this tard.

Check the ios version and see if it's jailbreakable, it's easy af

I did it on my 3G.

which is the thing though. I don't know how they'd do it for iOS 7 and up, but those guys would be out of business if they weren't doing it right, I reckon.

also can't you call the carrier?

Carrier locked are easy, just pay for unlock. I did the same with my old moto droid 2 cdma back in the day.

Installing iTunes, guess that will tell me more about the phone.
I will give it a try, I guess that my relative can call them if he has all the info he needs. Do they need to actually have the phone to do it, or can they do it online or via network or what evs?

oh...
they'll probably need the phone, but don't take my word for it.

I guess its up to me or the local shops then, meanwhile stupid iTunes doesn't even detect the bloody device, not suprised

old iphones belong in trash. only buy a used iphone if you want to get scammed.

Ok so apparently unlocking it from network providers is the easy part, the bigger problem is with some iCloud account, where apparently the phone is unusable if I don't have the iCloud password or something?? Will try to get my hands on that, is this a real thing?

Did you actually steal the phone, cause your relatives must know their password

>tfw no iphone 5 running ios 6

I've had success with some LG and old Nokia unlock codes from Ebay. Don't know about iPhone.

But if your phone is still iCloud locked then it's a useless brick.

ask your relative for his account details

This is a super common thing in the UK, a lot of the time when you buy a phone it's locked to a certain provider and after a few months of purchasing it you can contact the carrier to unlock it for around £20.

Probably similar case in Austria.

iOS 6 isn't worth it as a daily driver, bro

>not running a bot that posts this in every thread with the words iphone and locked

>I did it on my 3G.
You did it at a time where there were hardware bootrom exploits for that model. Anything newer than a 4S has had very little in the way of hardware exploits like those older phones did.
Call the original provider of the phone and ask them to unlock the IMEI number or see if you can do it through their website. These places that charge you $30 are doing just that.

that's why I suggested he call his carrier instead for the reasons you stated.

see

This

Call the carrier and ask them to unlock it. If the phone is already paid off then they should have no objections.

give it back you fucking nigger

This here is neo-neo-Sup Forums, fellas. We are now seeing posters that don't even know basic shit about consumer technology. Soon, we will have posters who struggle to understand how to even reach this board.

It's a meme you dip.

>don't worry, guys, I'm not an actual retard! I'm just pretending!