/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated - blame /csg/)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Apple iPhone 8 Plus review
gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_8_plus-review-1662.php

Huawei silently launches the Nova 2i
gsmarena.com/huawei_launch_nova_2i-news-27506.php

Alleged Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 renders show dual camera setup and a near bezel-less design
gsmarena.com/alleged_xiaomi_redmi_note_5_renders_show_dual_camera_setup_and_a_near_bezelless_design-news-27514.php

Another leaked screen protector hints at massive bezels on the upcoming Pixel 2
gsmarena.com/another_leaked_screen_protector_hints_at_massive_bezels_on_the_upcoming_pixel_2-news-27511.php

Deal: Unlocked LG V20 drops to $302.52, a new all-time low
gsmarena.com/deal_unlocked_lg_v20_drops_to_30252_a_new_alltime_low-news-27510.php

HMD official confirms Nokia phones will get Oreo by the end of 2017
gsmarena.com/hmd_official_confirms_nokia_phones_will_get_oreo_by_the_end_of_2017-news-27500.php

Ulefone working on 13.000 mAh battery phone Power Max
gizchina.com/2017/09/29/ulefone-working-13-000-mah-battery-phone-power-max/

old

are they getting rid of the Bixby button for the S9 or is it here to stay

also how much longer until the iPhone 6 becomes completely unsupported

>Listening to music all day
>Frequent Sup Forums and discord checking
>No access to chargers during the day
>Don't care about camera
>Like to keep phone clean, sometimes rinse it under the tap lightly or cloth
Moto Z2 Play or Xperia XZ1?

Is Nokia 8 good?

wait for Nokia 9

I expect the bixby button to stay but you can already disable the button or if you can root the phone then you can modify the button action

OnePlus 5

tfw lineageOS on OPO

the only thing i miss is a better camera, but really, does it matter all that much?

>3d pig shitter
i hope your mother dies soon

What is Sony normally like for updates? Considering the XZ1 Compact or iPhone SE or possibly 8

Is a Axon 7 worth 120€?

it'd have been more useful as a camera button...

You can already double tap the home button for that. Personally the button would work better as a open last used App button.

Yes

My biggest concern with the phone is if it has DAC, overheats and if battery life is bad.

Do we expect the Pixel 1 to drop in price? I dont like how the pixel 2 looks at all and am thinking of going from nexus 6 to iphone 8 plus:(

What do you guys think of the Moto G5S Plus?

My friend and I are thinking about getting one since both of us are looking for a new phone.

Ting
US
Around the size of a Nexus 5

It's great.
also you sound gay.

Sony updates flagships as long as their chipsets are supported by goyimOS. their entry level phones don't get much love. however the L1 is claimed to get Oreo. I have the original XA and running 7.0 with august 2017 security patches. I got the august patch yesterday though.

you're a genius

;>)

God dammit. I JUST WISH I HAD NEVER DROPPED AND BROKE MY NEXUS 4. ALL THESE NEW PHONES ARE SHIT

>Goyimos
What

it would be pretty funny if it was a common fault

android, i meant android.

>As long as their chipsets are supported by android
You mean as long as the chipsets support android

OnePlus is pretty solid desu

>using the winky smiley face with the greater than nose
(へ:

still using my n4 but after some repairs it's pretty mangled and the battery life won't last a day
>tfw still no good replacement

Are Android phones locked tot he Google ecosystm, or is it possible to install apps without connecintg a google account that makes the system use all kind of bloatware when all you want it the playstore?

If you want the play store, then you need the Google "ecosystem". Otherwise you can just use alternative app stores like aptoide

is oneplus 5 the most meme phone

For the price, it's the best phone.

great to hear, thanks. guess I'll have to use the play store first to get that and then uninstall on the google apps, correct?

To get rid of the Google system entirely, you need to install lineageos or any other custom rom that doesn't come with gapps built in. Then just Google aptoide and download the apk. It's not on the play store.

I mean Z2 and Z3 were expected to get Nougat but it required Vulkan or a newer version of openGL ES so those devices didn't get the update. maybe your statement is better. just know that if the requirements are met, a sony flagship will be updated to the newest android version.

you can always grab the .apk offline on a computer and then drop it into your phone and install that way as well...

the jelly scrolling screen is annoying but it is definitely one of the top phones available now

You can use alternative "stores" like F-Droid to get some pretty decent apps without the need for Google.

Both have lineageos 14.1 though

Define solid.

I'm tired of samsung gookshit failing on me. What would be a good upgrade from a Note 4?

Good hardware for the price, good software, good dev community

xiaomi redmi note 4 or oneplus 5

Some sell me on the LG V20.
Who has it is it good??

Now trying to decide between the Honor 8 and LG V20.
Want a solid 4gb phone pls help!

What's the best way to root a Galaxy s5 running marshmallow?

what's the best image viewer? irfan?

Should probably add that it's an AT&T model

You can double tap the recent apps button for that too

Bought a S8+ for 480€. Did I do good?

Is it better than the g5 plus?

Are a SD625 and 4GB of ram good enough to remotely use my desktop PC through softwares like Remmina or similar?
Or should I go for a SD660 or better?

who cares it's ugly as fuck

Yes
>Microusb

would assume so, it's pretty cheap for a good one on eBay now.

I know this sounds really stupid to look for in an android, but what phones are designed well for snapchat? I know some companies went kahoots with the snap devs to make their phones run great, cuz everyone knows android is dogshit with snap, but I use snap a lot so I want a decent smooth experience. I know the pixel is good for snap, also the oneplus 3T is too designed well for snap?

How good is the current black berries?

Ok that sucks then. Guess that means I need to smartphone and that the other stores don't have the same apps available?
That doesn't sound to great to me.

Wut? How can a phone be good at snapchat? Either it takes and displays pictures or it doesn't, it's not a fucking complex application.

across all android phones, snapchat fucking sucks because the devs are iphone cucks and design the app to be shit on android. There's a few phone companies that I would assume paid the devs to make snap run better on their phones, make it less laggy, pictures and videos to look better and smoother.

honestly, I don't care about the charging port. My home is full of microusb cables anyways

Have the Mi a1 bands been confirmed to work or not work in US LTE bands?

Probably poorly optimized AR support. Now that iOS has hw acceleration for both AR and CoreML, you can expect that breach to grow larger for pretty much the entire lifespan of Oreo.

It has bands 1,3,5,7,8,20,38,40

I guess I never use any of that shit, I just send pictures and videos. Am I just getting too old?

Nah, it's just limited to filters right now, I guess that will change too.

What's a good T9 keypad app?

what's the best 100 dollar or below smart phone right now?

I've got a upgrade available at Verizon, what's the best phome to get?

Next years iOS 12 update will be the last one for iPhone 6

Is there any reason not to get the Moto G5S Plus over the Moto G5 Plus?

>Someone developed a port of Sailfish for the Moto G4

Huh.

Serious question: how the fuck do you guys carry your phone?
Despite being 25, this is the first time I have ever owned a cellphone and while I can put the damn thing into my front jeans pocket (I don't wear slims by the way, only straight cuts), it makes a huge bulge and I can't even lace my shoes without taking my phone out my pocket.

I'd put it inside my jacket except my fall/spring jacket doesn't have any inner breast pockets and I don't even wear one during summer.

my galaxy s7 fits in my pocket perfectly with room to spare. next time don't get oversized 6" screen phones

I wear super skinny jeans and I can't even notice my op3t in my pocket. Have to check if it's there from time to time

Buy pants with deeper pockets.

My Mi Note 2 fits just fine into my front pocket and it's 5.7" in size.

I bought a Redmi Note 4 though. It's not the smallest phone out there but it's not the biggest one either.

>LG V20 drops to $302.52

Alright, I was thinking of getting the 4GB/64GB Moto G5S Plus for the $299.99 deal. But damn is there anything wrong with the LG?

LG v20 and get a 2nd battery. Or literally anything and get a battery pack

that tenor g looks alright

>Oneplus 5
>waterproof

Its a fucking travesty, if it was waterproof it would be the goat smartphone

put the phone in a heavy duty ziplock bag, there's your waterproofing.

would waifu

>3dpd
>waifu
What did he mean by this?

Is iPhone SE 16GB a bad idea?
I can get a new one for $175
I would just stream music and browse Sup Forums and youtube and read articles. I want a smaller phone. Just worried 16GB is too little.

>skinny jeans
>OP3T
like a glove

what's the perfect amount of ram for a phone?
(casual gaming)

Is 2 GB of ram enough for a Moto G5 Plus?

help!

my lg g4 randomly turned off and now won't boot. it only turns on and sits on the lg logo. apparently it's a known problem with seemingly no fix. any of you autists know anything that could fix this shit?

>tfw had Pixel for about 2 months
>tfw nothing but regret

welcome to the bootloop nightmare

Nothing you can do except replace it, it's a well known hardware flaw.

I could feel my Nexus 6p but not my oneplus 3t. Sometimes I look for it around my apartment and then realize it's in my pocket.

why? everyone says it's good

redpill me on the lg g6 /spg/. is it a good buy?

Is there a website that lets you see what android version a smartphone was released in and what it's running now since it came out?

Is the V20 worth the $330? Moving up from a 2014 Moto G, so basically anything is an upgrade.

Gsmarena

I’m still using a 16GB 5S and doing the same, you’ll be fine. I do have to admit how annoying it is to clear out photos to save space at times because of Whatsapp pastas.

>25
>straight cut jeans
>first phone
Poverty or autism? No hate, I just want to know.

like that pic, and I still have an S4 that is very comfy with one hand

Poverty and schizophrenia actually.