Why is it with small board computers we are now blatantly ignoring ESD?

Why is it with small board computers we are now blatantly ignoring ESD?

rpi cost like a blowjob

Because ESD was never real.

I've assembled my last four computers sitting naked on a carpet with pieces strewn everywhere. ESD is a meme.

The damage is there. It just takes time to develop and cause a fault. A few years or even months something will break.

stop visiting cheap whores

the nature of electronics has changed, while things are still susceptible its nothing like as bad as it was back in cmos days

Compare the data sheets. We have more ESD resistant devices now.
Also for these cheap cheap devices you don't have to care beyond your inconvenience.

yes of course

and if I sin I'm going to hell, I might not feel it, you might not have proof, but when you die YOU ARE CONDEMNED! THE PRIESTS SAID SO!

What exactly does this damage consist of? How does it worsen over time?

>naked
duh that allows static charge to discharge through the ground

Old ICs would die if you looked at them the worng way. Many still do, like analog amplifiers and analog shit in general.

ICs that deal with digital signals are nowadays very resistant to ESD. They can still get fucked, though, you can never be too safe.

this

You two are fucking retards. Please never post here again.

Instantaneous failures are usually the only ones you will experience as Joe Average. A lot of devices run at very low current and the shock just outright burns something up instantly. This obviously snibs the snab.

The average consumer generally won't ever realize that they've *partially* damaged equipment through ESD. The physical damage may be minute, but it can keep a device from being able to reliably operate at spec, allowing it to degrade further until it eventually fails. You usually only experience this with things that run long and hard cycles, such as in industrial/high-availability applications. Since next to nobody on this board does any actual work, and just sells their 1080Ti to get a new one every year or two, we have all sorts of these "ESD is a meme!" retards shitposting every time it's brought up.

SBCs like the Raspberry Pi aren't intended for high-availability or X-critical applications. If you want that safety, TI makes their Hercules MSP430s that are reasonably priced and intended for such applications. I'm sure there are more fully-featured SBCs for the same task, although that capability comes at a pretty big cost, more than most hobbyists would stomach.

Has this bait ever actually worked? Have you ever successfully derailed a thread into shitposting using it?

>tfw got job in enterprise
>build servers sometimes
>heh I never do the esd and it has been OK my whole life!
>yes but now you use protection user
>o.. Ok

>tfw manager makes me wear footstraps

The lifetime of a server any more is less than a decade, if it even comes close to that. There is redundancy out the ass. It is very rare for somebody's life to depend on a single server.

I'm not saying that you need a special autism strap just so you can touch anything electronic. I am saying that if you were to go tell an electrical engineer that:

1.) because you don't use your equipment long enough to experience any issues from ESD, and
2.) because you don't *really* care about reliability anyway,

that ESD must not be real, he would laugh you out of the fucking room.

Those get ESD tested before release, I've zapped my Rpi a couple of times and it only resets, still works just fine

>people don't know that nowadays pcbs are coated with esd resistant coat

My experience is that ESD scales with humidity. If you live near the coast you may have 1-2 days per YEAR where ESD could be a legitimate concern, given you don't do retarded shit like wear a sweater and rub a balloon on it.

The only component that consumers are regularly exposed to that is super ESD friendly are MOSFETS. Now go cound how many are on a RBP or your mobo.

Question: Is touching the grounding pin in a wall socket enough or do you need to put more effort into it?

Assuming your house wiring ground is even connected to anything, that's fine. Thing is though, that static electricity can accumulate in an instant. If you wire yourself to your house's ground, that would be a good solution. That's what wrist ground straps do.

Arguing over cheap vs expensive whores is like arguing between McDonalds and Burger King. Either way you'll be eating something greasy that has been handled by niggers.

>ESD
i had to take out my wrist rest from the chair because of that

We aren't. We are just holding them around the edges where there are no traces or pins that could lead to raping it.

Also there is no path to earth through it most of the time.

Building computers naked on a carpet sounds like hell already desu.

>enterprise sever monkey
>real work
pick one

Like eating out your mom

Ground yourself to the closest ground of what you are working with. Perhaps a ground pin on the board, if you can.

>naked
You're not going to get anything with electrostatic discharge if you're not wearing anything.

No this is definitely not enough. You should also touch one of the other pins to create a loop to ground.

Because 99% of the time, ESD is a meme.
The Pi has everything laid out on a ground plane, it's very hard for ESD to do anything to it, unlike handling a stick of RAM that isn't connected to anything.

What's up with reddit and Sup Forums idiots posting this shit in Sup Forums?

For that much the Raspberry Pi has more teeth.