Other urls found in this thread:

hooktube.com/watch?v=CQaEXZ-df6Y
mate-desktop.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=RmNz2jGzsDA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial_crisis_of_2007–2008
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What is there to miss?

what is there not to miss?

Why was 2008 the last good year to live in? Why did SJW shit magically start in 2009?

when beauty becomes visible so does ugliness, the ugly have to stifle beauty by becoming as loud and obnoxious as possible to make the beauty less visible

Normies buying apple products reached critical mass.

Apple should never have released the iphone. They should never have switched to x86 and amd64. Apple smugness and different thinking was manageable when the user base was small and controlled.

Gnome devs are retards. This has been a known fact for years.

I imagine most of the Apple companies smugness comes from how they were able to sell so much by playing on normie's desperation to feel special and unique. They did a good number on the morons
What the hell happened though? Did the good ones get replaced? How did it get derailed so hard with idiots and their decisions?

Change for the sake of change is what happened. Feature creep eventually spreads like a cancer until the whole program is consumed by it.

was that 804? best so far imho

t. virgin who can't take advantage of smartphone convenience

i remember this shit, best ubuntu ever

>trying to seem alpha on Sup Forums
rofl
ugly as shit
yes, 8.04. it's the linux version that put linux on the map (it appeared in tech magazines on the front page and was everywhere in the news) and what started the furor

2bh, I miss dapper drake more

I miss the classic XMMS and firefox 3.5 desu

hooktube.com/watch?v=CQaEXZ-df6Y

Yes, uninstalled you after five minutes.

well then, enjoy your JS desktop apps and flat design :)
i am so triggered, thanks for the share senpai

I actually went with Mandriva and WinXP dual boot but the computer died the next day. Probbaly was the power supply, oh well.

Mandriva was good, Kubuntu 8.04 and Pardus Linux were also excellent. The websites were light on JS and there were big communities and lots of good info without huge ads going around. Good times

I miss the comfy orange color.

>2 panels, even though everything can be fit into one easily
>quick launch button and running window indication presented in different corners of the screen for some reason
>shitty font rendering
>icons on the desktop. Literally why
>I can't even tell what lower left button does. Shows some picture?
>le meme dropdown menus, because we want to be win95 so badly. Can't into type-and-run
Absolutely horrible UI/UX. The only reason you "miss" it is your baby duck syndrome. Face it.

>tfw my ubuntu still looks like that but in black

>>I can't even tell what lower left button does. Shows some picture?
me too, very good choices.

oh yes I do, very much

What the shit. Why is this comfy af. Its almost perfect apart from having two panels. I dont really notice text rendering if im quite honest, it doesn't bother me all that much desu.

Obama

I'll be back under the name of PureLinux or Nostalgia soon, stay tuned :3

GNOME 2?
in a modern kernel?

mate-desktop.org/ is that-a-way.

Mate abandoned gtk2 and its Gnome 2 legacy for the flash of gtk3.

If you were to install a nice desktop linux distro on your PC or laptop, what would you choose, Sup Forums?

Seriously?
Deepin, Solus, Manjaro, Ubuntu?

10.10 is the best version of Ubuntu ever, 14.04 is next.

idk senpai, that's when shuttlecock started trying for macbuntu nirvana

Ubuntu 8.04 and its close relatives were unironically dope as fuck. Everything after '11 or so was shit.

I prefer 10.04, after that everything went to shit

Too dark. There are other colors than black in the world. OLED displays aren't even mainstream yet to justify blackness with power savings.

I miss this very much. Well, I miss the feeling I got when I dual-booted into it from Vista.

i do
ubuntu 9.04 was my very first gnu/linux experience

Can someone explain this two panels meme?

That looks so comfy. I hate the slick designs they make these days.

Ah yes, Hardy Heron. My first experience with Linux.

One is for information, one is for programs and windows.

But its easily possible to fit both into 1... I understand two panels on macOS when top panel has a function but there i just don;t see it.

I think it's cleaner to separate them. If you only have like one window open at all times it might seem useless, but when you have tons of things it gets cramped.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

nah, it has this shitty aura to it that hurts my eyes.

audofags will understand this, but... it's like when you boost the 15-20k + frequencies to make a shitty recording sound better than it really is

>ubuntu 8.04
Wew, I remember installing this one.
Fuck, that almost 10 years

ah, that was the day i learned that i hate KDE

Anybody else order the free CD's with 7.10? Ubuntu and Kubuntu

8.04 was just a polished system. No real bugs with any of the base installs. Nowadays you can't even install a printer on 16.04 without manually specifying the IP. Why did they let it regress?

no

t. Xubuntu 16.04

Not really. Hardy was a good release as was Lucid, but just install Mate if you miss it?

Just use Audacity?

I don't remember the version but I signed up as some kind of Ubuntu evangelist or some shit for my region and Canonical sent me like four boxes of CDs. My metropolis is maybe a quarter million people, I gave away three to people at the meetings and the rest I tried to leave in libraries and finally just trashed. I still have a few around somewhere though.

That's what I said but they're mad that MATE moved on to GTK3.

Who's "they"? One faggot upthread. What difference does it make it looks exactly the same?

mint 9 was probably the best lunix os ever made.

Wow this thread got more replies than I expected but I'm planning to make a new distro with the same look as 8.0 (wallpaper, theme and all) using an updated kernel and software.

>Fuck, that almost 10 years
They should go back to this as a 10 year anniversary celebration of user friendly UIs in 18.04.

>it looks exactly the same
Except all the gtk2 only themes are no longer compatible and even ported to gtk3 they may not look completely identical.

Why do millenials get so triggered over people's nostalgia? Why are you kids so insecure? I'm curious

If it means that much why not port them yourself? It's not hard. Fucking crybaby parasites man.

>Fucking crybaby parasites man.
you're getting too emotional over nothing, i suggest therapy m8

I was actually planning on it. I had a folder full of gtk2 -> 3 conversion bookmarks, but then I abandoned Mate for gnome flashback after 1 or 2 programs started going to gtk3 every point release. I decided I'd rather use a mostly identical DE built from the ground up for gtk3 rather than one hacked together from legacy code.

That was the last year good things were happening in your life but you aren't smart enough for introspection

gtk3 themes (like clearlooks phenix) have a retarded black border that you cant seem to get rid of thru the css too, also retarded defaults for sizes, its an abomination to work with

I recently reinstalled my computer to 64bit 16.04. It had been running 32bit upgraded since 7.10, back when it was still an Athlon. Ubuntu upgrades work man.

I've been using Ubuntu MATE and I believe it's the best flavor or version of Ubuntu.

Is there really any difference between MATE ad XFCE?

Being nostalgic for literal dog shit brown desktop.

I tend to agree, it's very nice.

post more 2000s linux looks

budgie is the true heir of /linux aesthetics/. looks good out of the box, is easily customized, and doesn't have a bunch of stupid design decisions

Social Justice warriors have existed since the 1900s dude. You were just in a bubble.

This. Uppity pearl-clutching faggots have been a thing since the Victorian Era and all they've been doing is palatte-swaping and getting morally outraged about different things with the same tactics as usual.

But that's MATE user

Arguably they have a greater incidence for politically motivated violence now though. I mean, the violence itself is not new, it's just more popular.

No, I don't miss you
I liked your first releases with the naked attractive people as the background
I thank you for showing me that desktop GNU/Linux can be easy to use and introducing me to Debian
But when you released I have already moved to Debian

I got sick of your constant updates, including kernel updates, forcing me to always restart
Back then I was on 56K modem but even when I upgraded to aDSL I had to spend more time updating you than using you
I never liked your orange icons and how you were turning more orange and purple with each release
A new release every six months was too soon and LTS were a mistake, that's what Debian is for

I still think the naked attractive people were the best background and your first releases were the best
I hated you for pushing not ready and buggy software like pulseaudio on me and later compiz by default
In hindsight I hate you for introducing code of conducts to the Linux community
Also now that time has gone by I finally see that two panels were a mistake

Goodbye Ubuntu and thank you for everything, you weren't bad

undercover in antifa
youtube.com/watch?v=RmNz2jGzsDA

>Why did SJW shit magically start in 2009
The SomethingAwful forums are where the virus metastasized among prominent Goons. Some were taking it seriously, but the nature of Goon posting and trolling usually follows the form of "I'm only pretending to be retarded" taken to the most extreme possible lengths. But even if some where being satirical it still ended up being the dominant culture on the site. Much like how on Sup Forums the nazi stuff started off as memes and edgy humor until they all gradually started believing it.

From there it spread to the rest of the Internet, because Goons are everywhere. Maybe it was aided by Project Chanology which saw a lot of people from all over the internet intermingling to shit on scientology. There was a fair bit of in-fighting caused by the conflict of edgy 'nigger faggot' chan-based humor and the 'moralfag' proto-sjws who wanted to suppress that kind of shit to try to gain credibility. Also Tumblr started up around that time.

That gorgeous heron wallpaper.

I want an animal in that style for every ubuntu release, is that too much to ask? Instead we got purple.

That was beautiful my friend.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial_crisis_of_2007–2008

t. gnome dev

It's been a long time since I've used gnome 2 but MATE seemed much the same. There's not enough man power to keep gtk2 up to date and working, it was a necessary move for them.

>I can't even tell what lower left button does. Shows some picture?

You're one of those web "programmers", aren't you?

Same here. 9.04 is still my favorite, even though there's nothing much to it.

10.10 is great, so is 14.04. I think 16.04 is better, specifically on the Xubuntu and Lubuntu releases. Stable, full-featured and light weight. Compatible, too.

But 10.10 was literally just a polished 10.04, it had the best looks and a few more features I cant remember now that where cool. But since 10.04 was LTS ended up using it until it died and had to upgrade to 12.04
11.04 is when it went to hard, 2011 was a bad year for ubuntu/loonix in general thanks to the shitshow gtk3 was at first, if ppl think gnome is shit now is because they havent used it when it started, literally unusable

9.04 was alright, 9.10 was a shitshow
Using 17.04 right now and will probably stay there until 18.04
October released are usually crap, 10.10 being the only exception

Good post. It was tough watching the gradual change. I miss the days where lulz were enough to keep everyone entertained without people pushing some overt political agenda. SA in the first half of the 2000s was a pretty nice place to be.

>not 1 but 2 panels eating away vertical space
No thanks.