Is there anything cool I can do with this old powermac g4? Besides selling or gutting for parts...

Is there anything cool I can do with this old powermac g4? Besides selling or gutting for parts. Can it be turned into a reliable server or something?

Other urls found in this thread:

webfusion.net.nz/g4pc/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Afaik you could gut it and stuff a hackintosh inside

hmm sounds interesting, never thought about this.

B I G
I
G

E N D I A N
N
D
I
A
N

Pop a decent spec'd computer in there! The blue G4 cases are my favourite bit of hardware

Iirc a YouTuber called ItsMyNaturalColour has done it

webfusion.net.nz/g4pc/

P O O
O
O

I N D I A N
N
D
I
A
N

yes

PowerPC chips were actually RISC processors, ideal for server usage.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

15 years ago you mean.
>what is performance/watt and why would it improve over yeras?

it is a loud inefficient heater.

Learn which Mac models are which.

All macs are shit.

Don't trash the parts user. The PPC macintosh computers are really cool. They are going to be the fastest computers money can buy when the IME bug goes live and kills all modern computers. Stick Debian on it and some neat packages.

Put Mac OS 9 on it and enjoy. There are tons of games and useful software.

Pre-2006 or so Intel is not known to be affected nor are Transmetas. I recommend downloading the full Devuan DVD set for each architecture you have. They will be worth their weight in gold.

This

You can run PPC OS X on it. There's a lot of good software floating around for those. I recommend OS X 10.4. You could also install Debian and shitpost from it, or just gut it and toss modern parts inside. If you do gut it then be sure to do very minimal permanent case modification and save all the parts. especially the main board, power supply, CPU, and any other parts that may be unique to the machine. This way you can rebuild it if it ever becomes a serious collectors item.

>They are going to be the fastest computers money can buy when the IME bug goes live and kills all modern computers.
There's some pretty fast x86 hardware supported by Trannyboot, silly CIA nigger.

>Pre-2006 or so Intel is not known to be affected nor are Transmetas.
AMD stuff before 2012 lacks their PSP.

>I recommend downloading the full Devuan DVD set for each architecture you have.
Devuan is garbage. Use Slackware (binary) or Gentoo (source) if you don't like systemd.

>They will be worth their weight in gold.
Not really, considering that there's just so fucking much of this old hardware. There's just mountains of it for like $5 a piece all over ebay, even less if you buy in bulk. Besides, normies don't give a fuck. They already know that Windows 10 spies on them but they use it anyways.

You can also install Yellow Dog, from Red Hat.
Might as well have a professional Linux.

>Yellow Dog
>Red Hat.
>a professional Linux.
Please kill yourself.

> install MorphOS
> enjoy superior Commodore lifestyle

>IME bug
what is this? just googled and didn't see anything useful

Intel Management Engine

Tinfoilers are convinced that it's some evil backdoor. It's basically an IP KVM built into the chipset that doesn't do anything unless you turn it on and configure it. It wouldn't even be accessible from the internet unless you open the ports on your firewall, or directly connect your computer to the internet.

D E S I G N A T E D
E
S
I
G
N
A
T
E
D

I N D I A N
N
D
I
A
N

P O O
O
O

If you have no use for it.
Sell it.

>t. 17 year old

feel like an idiot now, have read a little about IME before and i'm pretty sure it can be turned on remotely, either way what about this "bug"?

>not owning a g4 macbook with debian for this exact reason instead

you dun goofed

install BOINC on it and earn yourself some Gridcoins from crunching