/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-Chromebook-C201PA/
launchpad.net/~brinstar
youtu.be/8ucCxtgN6sc
wiki.quakeworld
unicode.org/alloc/Pipeline.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How long will my fucking package take to appear on Launchpad now that I uploaded it and it's like 11mb?

remember: no tux no bux

"just use wine" isn't good enough

third

for

bsd

zealotry

emacs.

Also, is that a boy or a girl, because it's literally dressed exactly like me right now, and it's freaking me out.

All BSD figs will be executed in the name of Our Holy Lord

Would this run Linux well?

asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-Chromebook-C201PA/

guise i'm famous i uploaded my build of filezilla to launchpad
launchpad.net/~brinstar

ChromeOS is GNU/Linux.

Would it run Debian well?

define well. debian can run a simple system well on machines from 2005.

would I be able to do programming and play minecraft

yes

thanks

Are you implying that i should make it a dumb device that can only do one thing?

I still want to be able to do other stuff but its going to be my replacement for a cell phone since itll have anji (flashcard program) and pdfs and other creative stuff.

Smartphones just take too much time and my thinkpads based.

fuck linux and fuck Sup Forums why did you meme me into this

>muh games

damn, i haven't played this shit in YEARS, if some /fglt/ user starts a server, count me in. does the original still work okay on newish hardware or are there some new builds that people use? just want to play the old quakeworld maps again, those were the shit.

go away, faglet. don't hate people who want to play games on linux, dumbfuck, that's literally the #1 reason people own a computer these days.
winshit would not be a thing if not for games.

try ezQuake

youtu.be/8ucCxtgN6sc

DEMAND A GNU/LINUX VIDEO TO THE FINE BROS

>that's literally the #1 reason people own a computer these days
pretty sure it's social media

no that's why people have phones user.

nope, iphones are the hardware of social media

nvm, nquake uses ezquake apparently. anyway who the fuck plays qw nowadays

do you also play broodwar?

Iphones are dead.

ask these guys, i'm checking it out myself. are you playing quakeworld maps?

no I haven't really played quake before, except for episode 1 of quake 1 on my windows install

oh wait I just looked it up and brood war is a starcraft thing
yeah I haven't played much of that either but I've tried out the free one before

lmao I actually did post it there as well. I really wanna play some quake
>are you playing quakeworld maps
I don't know, I just have the default nquake install

Is Debian ok for desktops? I am a bit concerned because i heard that Debian is mostly for servers.

testing is basically ubuntu without the cancer

I heard the earth is flat.

I heard you're not a faggot

Weird, I heard the same thing about you, too. We should all meet up somewhere to discuss this newfound revelation.

It's okay but needs to be configured and maybe (probably) you'll have to install some drivers manualy

Guys. someone gave me this laptop Easynote B3309
And I want to turn it into a youtube machine for my mom.

is there any good lightweight distro out there?

Amd semprom 3100+ 1.8ghz
512 ram
40gb HDD

Someone respond ._.

I finally figured it out, I was installing it in the /opt/ directory rather than my home directory which does work. must've been a permissions problem or something

So how do you guys sync your files?

Yeah, yeah, with rsync and all, but how do you lay it out? Do you have one script you run on your main machine that pushes changes to your laptop, to your backups, etc, or do you run something on those machines to pull in changes? How do you do it, NFS mounts, SFTP, Samba, etc?

wait I got another quake-related question actually.

wiki.quakeworld
.nu/Smooth_Quake_in_Linux
this guide says to optimize the mouse polling rate, I have to edit the /etc/modules file, but I don't have that file. what do

nvm it's a systemd thing, I have to use /etc/modules-load.d/

Am I a noob for using nano and cfdisk? Should anyone care?

If I were you, i'd learn vi, just because it's pretty much guaranteed to be everywhere. As far as partitioning tools, nobody gives a fuck
>inb4 somebody gives a fuck

>Am I a noob for using nano and cfdisk?
yes
Should anyone care?
no

Nano is cool enough for a non programmer.

>nano
you're a lazy weirdo. a noob would use a GUI text editor.

>cfdisk
Nothing wrong with it at all, tbqh. Partitioning is a weird thing because unless you're a literal sysadmin, almost everyone will be a noob at it, since you'll (hopefully) be partitioning things rarely.

convince me to use tmux or screen, /fglt/

no

Literally how? I use Nano because it's stock on fucking everything and I know my way around it when I need to do quick cli editing shit, it's easier to just nano to it for conf files.

>most features
>most

They're both pretty much the same.
I think tmux is a bit more easy to configure.

started with screen but all the cool kids use tmux so switched over

why do two programs exist for the same thing?

Freedom.

GNU screen
BSD cuck license tmux.

So here is this.
>lern grep
>cool, learn that sed is more powerful
>learn sed
>cool, learn that awk is more powerful
>learn awk
>cool, learn that perl is more powerful
>learn perl
Whats next?

Does anyone know how to blacklist modules in Solus linux? I usually have to blacklist radeon in Arch but it seems to be completely different in Solus and I can't find a wiki or anything.

I've had trouble connecting my external drive to my tower, but I found out I could switch it to another USB port and it works fine. I noticed it doesn't mount in USB 3.0 ports, but does in USB 2.0. Is there some Linux-based reason why that happens, and maybe how to fix it to mount on the 3.0?

use this universal epic troll.
in /etc/modprobe.d/ a file called meme.conf which includes: install meme /bin/true

Screen is excellent, I know some fall for the meme that is tmux but if you want some eyecandy then install byobu with screen.

i want to let a script running after i close ssh
nohup and disown are not on the machine because its busybox
screen fails:
Cannot find termcap entry for 'xterm'.

no termcaps are installed on this machine
i tried
scp /usr/share/terminfo/x/xterm-256color destinationserver:/usr/share/terminfo/x

tmux is not installed.
im not sure if i can install aditional software, its a NAS from qnap

please help

>1F12F; 3 stages left
unicode.org/alloc/Pipeline.html

apl

Motherfucking testosteronic C.

(ɔ)

try changing TERM to linux or somthing.
Also try dtach.

Can someone please correct all of the instances of "based off" in the installgentoo wiki links? I thought Linux tards were supposed to be le autism geniuses.

I am running Linux Mint, and was formerly running Windows. In Windows, my sound profiles distinguished between my front headphone port, in which I have a single pair of headphones connected, and the rear ports, in which I have a 5.1 sound system connected. Moreover, I could choose the headphones, or the speakers whenever I liked.

As things stand in Mint right now, I can't have both connected and switch between them; moreover, my speakers don't sound right when audio comes though them in Mint.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I am fairly new to Linux, and am in no sense an advanced user.

What are you even referring to

GNU/Linux tards*

Oh my god, what is this GUI? How have things change, I feel old.

alright ive been working all fucking day on different distros. it turns out, i fucking hate gentoo. i fucking hate void.
i want a GNU distro without systemd that isnt fully retarded. i am about to go back to openbsd and say fuck linux

Slackware? Give that a try

Try using pavucontrol, I think that is the pulseaudio GUI. pulseaudio is the backend that that mint dialog is configuring, but the proper tool might have more options. Sounds ilke you just want to switch between different sound cards/devices.

This

>le

is there a way to install gentoo with uefi and an encrypted disk, that doesnt take 200 hours and 10 different writeups ? or is everyone running gentoo just doing the gentoo handbook install with no encryption?

Alright, I installed Pavucontrol. It shows my headphones as being plugged in and as being the primary audio device, which they are. However, it states that my line out, which I would suspect is my speakers, is unplugged. However, they are currently plugged in, and if I unplug my headphones, they start working (although the sound is weird compared to normal).

im going to install ubuntu on my new (refurbished) thinkpad for the first time..

Wish me luck lovers ._.

its the easiest thing you'll every do no luck needed

is there a way to make ls not print the full path when I do ls /path/to/some/other/dir/ ?

got connection error when adding the -l to ls

is there any way to increase the size of the ASCII field in hexdump

What DE should I try next? So far I've tried XFCE and KDE plasma. Plasma 5 seemed needlessly complex and easy to fuck up by changing simple things and XFCE feels ancient and unintuitive and most changes you want to effect need to be done in a needlessly complicated, roundabout way

I like ubuntu unity but everyone told me unity was shit

is there a way to have octal permission values in ls?

STOP USING DE
ALL DE ARE SHIT
DE IS FOR NORMIES

I'm unironically down for that. I think it would be better to learn linux with nothing but a wallpaper and terminal. What are some good distros for that?

this

why do we have de's? because people are too lazy to learn a new system, so we need de's which make the system look familiar

de's are a stepping stone

your question betrays your ignorance

it doesn't matter what distro you're on, you can do that with any distro

fluxbox

You could just don't use your DE.
>install a wm like openbox or if you like tiling, i3
>use the terminal to change system settings instead of DE interfaces

no, fuck those jews

why tf do you need wallpaper without x?
stop foolin

_donald

yeah but stock DEs look like shit so just leaving them there are only using the terminal would trigger my need for a e s t h e t i x
memedistro
what is X

your response, again, shows how much you don't know

you can install any window manager, any desktop environment, any terminal, on any linux distro

>memedistro
Fluxbox isnt a distro, its a window manager