/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Ask your stupid questions here. Use a search engine that respects your freedom first, though.

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-15-r000-notebook-pc-series/6875200/model/7531303
windowsmatters.com/2016/11/10/gandalfs-win10pe-x64-redstone-build-14393-version-10-24-2016/
youtube.com/watch?v=sdfDRqRi_eI
github.com/Superfly-Inc/ShowKeyPlus/releases/download/ShowkeyPlus/ShowKeyPlus.zip
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
howtogeek.com/206329/how-to-find-your-lost-windows-or-office-product-keys/
blah.cloud/networks/raspberry-pi-dynamic-dns-using-cloudflare/
groovypost.com/howto/downgrade-windows-10-to-windows-7-windows-81/2/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What's the name of the font used in Japanese locale

Jesus, thanks senpai. I had actually thought of trying that but figured it was way too simple to actually work, especially since I remember seeing the # symbol in the address. I have offended my family, and I have offended the Shaolin Temple.

Can I connect a bluetooth mouse and keyboard to a tablet? What about a videoprojector? To make it like a PC.

meant for:

why aren't there any asian programming languages

the default font for asian letters depends on the operating system, same as roman letters

There are.
>ASCII
Pronounced, "UH-SAW-HEE," which is an oriental beer.

What reporting tool do I use if I use Access in my WPF program?

Just downloaded ubuntu on my new thinkpad t40 which will be used for productivity purposes...

On my old shit laptop i want to bust up and try out tons of differnt distros and all of that...

Anyway where can i learn how to use terminal and everything else like that?

What does sudo mean etc...just basic stuff to read i guess

Ruby was made by a nip

Hello /sqt/
I have an HP notebook, model 15-r031ds with a clean install of Windows 8.1. The drivers listed on HP's website are as follows:
support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-15-r000-notebook-pc-series/6875200/model/7531303
A lot of these drivers seem to be for totally different components that aren't actually included on this laptop. Specifically, look at "Driver-Chipset", "Bios", and "Driver-Network" which lists drivers for totally different components and I don't know which one I have. I though HP's update site was supposed to be model specific.
I'm afraid that if I install some of these that I'm going to fuck up my laptop permanently, especially the Bios one where there are two listed versions. I need to install the drivers to get the laptop functioning correctly but I don't want to install the wrong ones. What should I do?

o i love that shit, even the big breweries are copying it

Is there a better anti-virus than this? I've been using it since 2015 for family PCs and my own just because I do like having a bit of protection. I'm wondering if there's a better one I should try though because I'm still using a super old trial resetter version of Bitdefender from 2-3 years ago.

Should I get a sub woofer for my hs8s? Rooms not too large so idk.

Windows Defender + Malwarebytes free (for manual runs) + automatic updates + limited Windows accounts is the way to go these days, and it doesn't cost a penny.

>+ limited Windows accounts
like n administrator access?

My old laptop has some files that i want but when i go to login it says welcome for like 30 seconds then says wrong password. Its windows 8 if that matters, any ideas on how to get in?
Also using an hdmi to the tv because the screen doesnt work, its a replacment. The backlights work it just doest display anything.

Why IBM doesnt make laptops anymore?

Limited account as opposed to administrator account. Limited accounts do not allow access to vital system files nor operations. Viruses that affect limited accounts will not affect the admin account if Windows is properly patched. If an account is badly infected, you can run a virus remover like malwarebytes from an admin account to clear up the infected limited accounts. There should only be one admin account on the PC, and it should only be accessed when absolutely needed, like installing new programs or changing system settings. This has been a best practice on Windows PCs since the XP days.

What's the best free software to turn a folder into bin & cue files? Preferably FOSS, but not mandatorily. Trying to make some old crap work and it requires a bin/cue to reference to fully function.

windowsmatters.com/2016/11/10/gandalfs-win10pe-x64-redstone-build-14393-version-10-24-2016/

Arch wiki

Make a Linux USB.
Linux Mint if you wanna something easy.
Go to disk section>Mount settings of the partition>add "remove_hiberfile" or "ro" to the text.

Done, you can freely browse your files.

It's hard to sell PCs, especially these days. Sony just sold off their PC department not too long ago.

All IBM produces now is shit on the sidewalk.

What hasn't windows installed on its own? You get most of that shit through windows update.

I failed the comptia a+ 901 ._.

Which is like level 1 stuff tbqh..

It was very in depth...should i try again after studying even harder and getting first hand expierence or am i just wasting my time?

Should i go to the recycling plant get a cheap computer to open up and leaen everything?

I thoroughly ran through Windows Update as well as updates via the HP Support Assistant program and I managed to install a bunch of drivers, but there are still a few things missing and the device manager is showing yellow exclamation points on "SM Bus Controller" + 4x "Unknown device". Also, I apparently need to install a bios update in order for the Windows 10 upgrade to word but I don't know which one to install, and we all know what happens when you botch a bios update.

Windows 10 upgrade to work** I mean.

That's weird for a bios update to be REQUIRED.

You sure you got the right model number?

>SM Bus Controller" + 4x "Unknown device"
Chipset drivers are missing.

Ignore them, or install 3DP Chip (Remember to dont check those adware boxes).

is this "dock" useful at all?

youtube.com/watch?v=sdfDRqRi_eI

You can look up the component ID's to figure out what you're missing.

From the link I posted, select "Bios" category, then select "Details" under "HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processors), version F.39 Rev.A". It says I need that for Windows 10 support. It also shows previous versions under the "Previous versions" option, but then there's another Bios update branch with its own previous versions right under than. You may say to just install the latest version, but if you look under "Driver-Network" category, it shows a bunch of different driver for different type of WLAN adapters when this laptop clearly only has one of those, which makes me think that could mean the same for the two options under the "Bios" category, and I don't want to fuck with the Bios if I don't have to. In any case, I'm going to attempt the Windows 10 upgrade without changing the bios to see if it'll work as is.

Thanks.

No, is just a gimmick.
Also let me remind you Windows phones flopped for a reason.
Its not exactly windows.

>got laptop used today
>spent all day installing crap b efore thinking about scanning
>scan with malwarebytez
>1,855 THREATS FOUND

Should I just wipe the hard drive or simply remove the 1,855 threats found and move on with my life? I am really at a bit of a dilemma because I don't the laptop came with Genuine Windows 7 and I don't have a spare key or even a cracked Windows 7 installation disc.

Should I install 2 DEs or at least a second wm? I broke xfce while trying to setup Japanese ime a few days ago and I just figure it might be handy to have a 2nd option for a session.

Alright, I think I'll just say fuck it and totally wipe the drive. Anybody know a good Windows 7 crack that won't give any non-genuine status issues?

Just get another computer.

Write the code down.

If you already have Windows installed, just extract the current key that's installed, get an OEM ISO of the version of Windows you currently have installed, and use that key to do the new install. All should work well.

Do I use some sort of tool to extract the genuine Windows key? I always that you could only use the key once, so never learned about it.

Use Show Key Plus to see which version of Windows you have and what the installed key is. You can download here: github.com/Superfly-Inc/ShowKeyPlus/releases/download/ShowkeyPlus/ShowKeyPlus.zip

Also, the asterisks won't be present, they're only there because the image was posted on the internet.

pastebin.com/smjvLZN4

I want to make a custom PC case. I already have the basic idea of the shape and layout, where do I go to get it custom made? I'm thinking too of getting it vinyl wrapped or something

Thanks, but I've got one more stupid question. If I have activated Windows 7 ultimate on my desktop right now, could I use that same key to activate this wiped laptop? The key on the laptop is only Home Premium.

No, you need a home premium key, and an OEM one if the laptop came preinstalled with that version of Windows from the factory.

Is there any way to remove comments on Clover that contain filtered content?
Sometimes posts will have 3 replies, and viewing them will still show a comment that should have been filtered out

Not at the same time. If you're scrapping the desktop you might be able to call the activation hotline and claim you're replacing the desktop's mobo, but that'd be quite a stretch on a laptop.

You've got OEM keys vs installs mixed up. Also he's talking about a clean install.

ShowKeyPlus says my OEM key isn't present, so I guess I'm in luck.

I'd use the stuff in that pastebin. Sometimes windows 7 puts fake keys in the registry.

Hi, I have started trying to use notepad++ as a notepad replacement, but I don't understand its behavior. It doesn't save on close, nor does it ask me confirmation to close the file. Instead it uses a personal snapshot of the file and accesses that, where normal notepad can't. How may I just make notepad++ save on close and ask me confirmation to close? Or just save without confirmation.

OEM key doesn't apply to Windows 7, only on Windows 8+. That's the key that comes embedded in the laptop bios so you don't have to deal with typing in keys manually and such. If you have the original Windows key that came with the laptop, just download an ISO of the exact version of Windows that it's associated with, install it, and all should work fine.

If the key he has doesn't work, then yeah.

Alright guys, thanks a lot. Gonna be a long night installing everything again, but I guess I deserve it for being so neglectful.

Which is why he should make sure he's got the real key before he wipes his system.

I think he did. I'm assuming he ran the show key program on his laptop that he hasn't wiped yet.

This should not take that long. Just make sure you have your real key, follow the update instructions in the guide, and use ninite.com to install your basic shit.

Like I said, those key catching programs often pull fake keys from the registry

howtogeek.com/206329/how-to-find-your-lost-windows-or-office-product-keys/

is being a loser who never leaves your computer the future?

i've been using pandora for ages, is there anything like it that's newer? didn't really span my horizon much.

Never mind, I read the patch notes I found from googling over five more times and finally gleaned that if you enable backups it doesn't save progress in the file unless you do it manually.

Weird, I never had a problem with it before. The only time it didn't work for me is when I was trying to mix different versions of Windows, or the key was a leftover from before an OS upgrade was performed

Depends on who made the computer and what system they used for activation. You may have just lucked out on what brands you used. Key on the bottom of the PC is always good though.

They's dyin yo. It's all about spotify now. Although the suggestion system isn't quite as good.

why would everyone jump to spotify if it's worse than pandora?

is it legitimately possible to code malware into images? hiding it in pixels or such?

Or video files?

Guessing shit you might like based on what you've already listened to is the only thing pandora is even a little bit better at. Spotify owns the shit out of it at everything else, and has like 10x the music selection. There are surprisingly few things that aren't on spotify these days.

I was sorta wondering something like this too, because the other day I saw someone say they update their old PCs, and someone replied saying since it's running XP, don't connect it to the internet since M$ dropped support for it a while ago. I wonder what's possible.

Does it even have jap vidya artists like Masato Nakamura?

Is there any JSON editor for complete retards?

Usually at least a couple of songs. I wouldn't delete my youtube app, but compared to how netflix and co. are doing with video it's goddamn amazing.

I am having trouble understanding this blog post re: DDNS, OpenVPN, cloudflare. Does pic related mean that the OP will be able to connect to the VPN server by typing "belfast" since it's an A record on cloudflare?
blah.cloud/networks/raspberry-pi-dynamic-dns-using-cloudflare/

Seems like whenever I browse Sup Forums and tried to save some picture (bigger pics particularly) it always go to

>1501168592416m.jpg

Is there any way to tell the site to actually open the original pic size instead of compressed ones?

I want to use bluetooth headphones on a non-bluetooth music player. What's the name of a bluetooth adapter that does this? Google keeps giving me adapters for wired headphones.

Try typing 3.5mm jack to bluetooth in your preferred search engine.

Repost from the old thread , how can i fix this ?
Windows doesn't show small window when i hover on an icon anymore , and many animation problems with the system
Please some help here

if you find out an item wont work for what you want or just made a shitty purchase can you smash it with a hammer and rma it?

The letters nd re not working on my keybord. Wht do I do?

get a new keyboard

>3.5mm jack to bluetooth
Thanks. Too bad all the ones I can find look bigger than my sansa clip

I just bought it yer bck.

>in start screen, search for "adjust the appearance and performance of windows"
>tick the animations you want

dont buy a shit one this time

I want to get into IT for a career and have no idea where to start. I know a lot of basic stuff, and I hear the best way is to complete certifications - CompTIA A+ being a popular one. How would one get started on that and what is a reputable online source for these certs?

Can I delete "Intel Trusted Execution Engine" or will that fuck up my laptop? I just want the Intel Graphics driver (and I guess the sideband one too), not this shit.

Holy fucking shit thank you

how do i get my windows 10 taskbar to function properly again? i cant left click the start menu and i cant right click applications

After failing to implement node delete in binary search tree for half an hour I gave up and manually found the answer

want to switch from windows 10 to windows 7
is there some way i can backup my steam games without backing up the entire disk?

Trying to install Windows 7 using a USB. It's giving me an error saying Windows failed to start right after the "Windows is Loading Files. . ." bar fills. Anybody know why? These are the settings I had for Rufus because I'm trying to install it using EFI partitioning.

Steam > Backup and Restore Games

One for the road:

groovypost.com/howto/downgrade-windows-10-to-windows-7-windows-81/2/

Try a different usb port and/or different usb stick

You patched that shit?

>using EFI partitioning
Why?

It's the settings it chose for the ISO.

I didn't do anything beyond download the ISO.