What are the chances we will get windows 11? If we do,when will we get it? July 2018?

What are the chances we will get windows 11? If we do,when will we get it? July 2018?

Other urls found in this thread:

howtogeek.com/220957/no-windows-10-won’t-require-a-subscription-heres-how-microsoft-plans-on-making-money-instead/
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet)
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
twitter.com/AnonBabble

That looks gay
and not in a good way

100%. July 2018. Yes.

iirc microsoft that windows 10 will be the "last" windows, and that future updates will be pushed in a rolling fashion, like osx

Thats pretty lame.

when windows 8 dropped, I decided to move to linux after windows 7 support expires in 2020.

turns out that linux is actually really fucking good already, and i don't need to wait until 2020. my desktop, laptop, and work computer all run some kind of linux now.

Don't worry, it'll still get shittier over time.

Lame that you keep getting changes forced on you? Yes. Lame that they're not making a big show of upgrading windows editions and whether or not they'll charge you? No.

Separate versions is an antiquated system.

Well I heard microsoft plans to turn windows 10 into rolling release.
So therevis a chance ther wont be a new windows so hope for microsoft releasing something like "Windows 7, we are sorry edition" is very small.

Why microsoft must do all this spyware and complicate shit.

They should release alternative for windows 10, respecting privacy, without metro shit but good old xp/7 times interface, with less annoing updates and bloat reduced to minimum. Compatible with new hardware and software. And support it alongside windows 10.

You'll have no choice. Windaids will force the upgrade on you and 10 will stop getting patches and eventually stop working for free upgrade plebs.

It's because Microsoft found it's a motherfucking bitch trying to get people to buy their latest OS. Hell, 50% of Windows users are still using Windows 7 today.

So, now they found it's more profitable to just have one, continually updated version of Windows, and mine the ever living shit out of the users to profit off all that data.

Nope. Windows 10 will stay a long time. Microsoft said it's the last version of Windows they make. Probably will change their mind tho.

Instead we get a product that's never finished and you have no control over.

They don't care about having people "buy" an OS. That has been an insignificant part of their revenue stream for years. What matters is having everyone on the same platform for using the store and their services.

Windows 10 is just a name they have no reason to change.

They'll just make an operating system called Losedoors instead of Windows.

>Why microsoft must do all this spyware and complicate shit
The world's becoming transparent in a bad way. Not for government services, but for technocratic reasons - Microsoft wants to become the new rothschild of the world.

Which is why the banking sector is becoming very nervous. They're no longer the big fish.

It will become simply "Windows" and require a subscription if not bought on a new PC. They will do this only when the Windows 10 migration is complete and they don't risk losing customers except on new machines. By that time we'll be fighting over AR/VR or some other technology.

after SatNad deposed and micro soft change their business strategy

that mockup looks like a nightmare fuel version of vista.

microsoft is already trying to corner that market with their mixed reality thing.

It's harder to buy laptops without windows 10 lately, that shift is beginning to happen whether we like it or not.
I currently have a windows 10 for work reasons, but I will be buying a cheap used thinkpad or something soon for something away from windows 10.

Put it this way, windows 10 is like an open briefcase. They don't give a shit about your dirty laundry, they just want your ideas.

also, current windows 10 looks better than whatever mess you posted, OP. That looks like shit.

This. Starters' version will be free, most probably.

>turns out I didn't need a computer for anything important

>Losedoors
Audible kek.

Obviously it's ass. But that's our problem, not theirs. They have no reason to put out separate versions anymore. Building good will is not in their business model.

I think the biggest money they get is from microsoft office. Office has unique features that Microsoft has copyrighted (or something along that lines). Hell, try installing calibri font on libreoffice... it barely functions correctly.

So Microsoft still has a monopoly on that market. Over 100 dollars for something worth not even a quarter of that. Then there's the "365" trap... paying a subscription for it. Rediculous.

The moment windows becomes a subscription service is the moment everyone switches to linux.

For some reason it's actually working. Almost every MS hardware partner is jumping on board, and Steam is offering support.
I get that there's no guarantee that VR will be successful but it doesn't make sense to just simply hand the power to Microsoft for the first time in decades.

Microsoft is trying to be clever and phase out Windows 7, 8, etc users. The idea of the rolling release of Windows 10 is to bid time. Bid time until Windows 7 and 8 no longer become viable options with modern hardware. They tried this already (artificially) with Ryzen and Kaby Lake.

Windows 7, in particular, is a thorn in their side. It's a fantastic OS with only a few flaws relatively speaking compared to OS. Everyone compares 10 to 7. By eliminating 7, they have nothing to compare the subpar experience of 10 to.

So eventually this goes on and on until users have the choice of Windows 10 or nothing (in their eyes).

Nah. We won't be seeing a "Windows 11" for a good long while.

Apple stuck with "10" for so long, many companies will have a hard time moving from this "magical" number. Windows 10 still exists trough these dumb ass patches they make just like OSX lived on and will live on for the probably next 10 years.

The major problem is... Microsoft is making "Windows 10" more and more compelling trough updates. It's more versatile and more functional than 7 or 8.1 could have ever been and it's getting active support on all sides while 7 and 8.1 are already crippled receiving ONLY security patches and updates to other software such as net framework (which is also majorly security patches). Windows 10 is still receiving RANDOM performance updates for different platforms.

Sadly, if Apple does it... all others follow. It's a disgusting, stupid, inefficient trend that WORKS due to the fact that over 50% of the population on this planet is uncultured, uneducated and dumb and thinks that if some major label/company does it and others like it, they should also do it. And the more sad part is that majors companies/names are not excluded from the said trend. And they legitimately think that if they also have a "10", they are winning over customers trough gimmicky Apple methods while as a matter of fact, there are still people who don't think the situation well enough to take proper, legitimate decisions rather, they take what their ego feels like is worth taking.

Apple for example released the iPhone 8 which should've been the 7S but if it were the 7S, their scheme right now wouldn't have worked as well as it did. They also announced iPhone "X" (just like Mac OSX really) which then proved to be "10". The very next day, I personally went on facebook and twitter and guess what? "APPLE CREATED AN iPHONE 2 GENERATIONS AHEAD OF SAMSUN!". People are so stupidly dumb that they think Apple was the FIRST to do that bezel-less design and it will sell like hot cakes.

> RANDOM performance updates
So, either it lags after an update or it's not?

Nobody wants to pay a monthly fee for their OS, and microsoft's not dumb enough to try it. Businesses and schools are the only sector where that's practical, and they've been doing it for ages already. For normal users that's just not where the money comes from. We're so used to seeing this shit from our perspective, which is totally irrelevant to microsoft.

howtogeek.com/220957/no-windows-10-won’t-require-a-subscription-heres-how-microsoft-plans-on-making-money-instead/

Yeah. If you're on say... an old generation of processors and for some odd reason your... let's say, calculator app locks up on your Windows 7 system. You're 95% screwed. Microsoft has an extremely low chance of even touching upon that issue or even taking care of it for the rest of it's existence entirely due to them not wanting you looking at "less than 10" Windows operating systems.

But if that happens on Windows 10, your next update in the same day might just fix it. (Also, the fact that you can't really disable auto updates unless you know what you're doing plays a big part in this as many updates roll out and you don't even see some of them but they assure a better product... only on "10" tho).

Windows doesn't lag after an update. At least not on modern hardware in the past 5 years or more. But there's infinite configurations of hardware they need to support, and it's an exercise in futility they engage in to make every Windows deployment as close to flawless as possible.
Granted, a lot of this is because of issues with their own OS code, but the hardware manufacturer's driver are rarely any better.

Preach, brother!

Fuck Apple in their smooth white I-hole.

Or maybe he does. Stop being a faggot, there are professions you can do without relying on windows.
DevOps or Data Science are some of the best paying meme jobs in IT right now and both basically require linux or OSX (or bash on Windows 10)

People said this about Office too. I don't think it'll ever be a thing on a new computer, but maybe for retail copies of the OS. There are tons of system builders that won't pirate software.
People forget that it's only easy to pirate Windows because MS lets it be that way. They could easily break any of our copies tomorrow.

how on earth does microsoft make ad revenue?

Ubuntu bash is on 10 and works fine. Good look doing anything without the windows version of Excel and the proprietary plugins you need to do data science at almost all major companies. My point isn't that there aren't linux use cases that work as well or better than Windows, just that if you can live your life without Windows you don't have a serious job.

The store, the login screen, bing searches etc.

It's much easier to do this with a particular software sweet than an OS they basically just had to copy Adobe. Name one home OS that pulls off a subscription model.

Bing. For a long time it was the default search engine for Siri. They also were the engine for Yahoo and obviously they power the xbox and windows searches with Cortana

>two clocks

Literally no one even charges for an OS except Microsoft. They're in a unique position.

And they're moving towards the same free model that everyone else uses, except for commercial use.

Anyone who is not a company pirates both windows and office, its not like they make it hard, just run the iso and kms ez activator

>there's infinite configurations of hardware they need to support
>what is HAL

>What is getting the same benchmarks on the same PC instead of Windows always having any and/or better hardware support.

That looks much better than the shitty win10 UI.

WPS Office is fine. If you think working with spreadsheets is a serious job then you're retarded. You're basically a step above a secretary.

>I currently have a windows 10 for work reasons
Can't you have it in a virtual machine?

Office will continue to make a killing as long as they control a monopoly over features.

I don't get how the fuck it's legal though

>Use win7 until 2020
>Switch to Win8.1 until that runs out of security updates
Are there any ATM versions of 7 and 8.1 that still receive seucirty updates like the WinXP version? If so maybe they could be viable options in the future. I'll go through every Windows option I can except 10 before switching to Linux.

I can't afford any issues though, soon I'll be requiring the product for financial reasons.
This is the problem, if you're just using it for information, learning, entertainment and gaming then go ahead and pirate it.
But if you need it for finances and you risk losing significant amounts of money from any issues - you need a stable product.

>seucirty
I meant security. For fucks sake that ruined my night.

Why didn't MS name it Windows X then.

There are other office suite options, they just suck ass

How old are you?
Microsoft told us years ago already that they won't give another version, just update the current one for years to come.
Even if it's a major update, it will still be Windows 10 in name.

Windows 7 is showing its age though and is the new XP, better in your memories
Ever try to do a clean install of 7 on a PC versus 10? Have fun driver hunting

kek every update I've gotten has only made my Surface Pro 3 smoother and better on battery life, the only way you can tell it's a 3 year old device is because of the poor condition of the type cover

Can't really say anything 3rd party like my XPS 15 since it's running Ubuntu

>Ubuntu bash is on 10 and works fine
Yes, I literally said this in my post. This is okay solution if you are locked into using windows.
>Good look doing anything without the windows version of Excel
Since when is excel required for data science?
>and the proprietary plugins you need to do data science at almost all major companies
Like what? Do you even have any idea what you are talking about?

Just install 7 on my Ryzen 1600, just werks 4 me

That's the problem.
Nothing comes close to competing with MS Office.
That's why they charge $176 AUD at the store for the home a student package for ONE FUCKING PC.

It was like $40 AUD a few years ago for limitless installations. What gives microsoft? Why are you such a fucking pig?

Excel is used extensively for data management and manipulation, not just spreadsheets.
I've worked with both the marketing and IT departments of several well known companies and neither can do their jobs without Excel.

Because Australia

In Soviet Canuckistan we pay $109 a year for 5 installs. Got rid of a PC? Just deregister it online and use that install for another one
That's like less than $2 a month per person

Or just pirate it because you're poor

>Got rid of a PC? Just deregister it online and use that install for another one
I know that's what you do once you buy it.
But I recently bought my first office product since MS office 2003.
I was shocked.

Office 365 is more profitable, you pay every year and it's essentially 100% profit for them.

>DevOps or Data Science are some of the best paying meme jobs in IT right now
no they aren't, sales with commission is better.

I noticed that.
365 is the best con they have ever made.
And I think the government needs to start cracking down on this anti-competitive bullshit.

Apple should look into making a proper competing product perhaps?
I dunno, something has to happen, or soon it'll be half a grand a year just to use MS word for a specific fucking font that is impossible to use on other products.

Perhaps, and this is a big perhaps, governments need to start making these products themselves as a basic requirement in this day and age. Every person nearly requires these tools. It's like electricity or water in this day and age.

I know a guy that did sales back in the 80s and made a killing but idk if you can do that now with internet sales. And idk if anyone really wants to deal with random people every damn day.

>sales with commission
Is that possible online?

>MS Office used to cost $300 for the full suit
>new release every 3 years
>Office 365 costs $100 a year
>new major version every 3 years
>can still buy the regular version

They said that, but then they also released the Windows 10 EOL dates (support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet) so yes, there will be a new windows version.

They'll likely just drop the 10 over time.

Each update has an EOL, yes.
There will be new versions
There won't be new marketing version numbers.

It's 'Windows 10' now and just 'Windows' in the future.

>Ubuntu Bash is on 10
>Works fine
It really doesn't. It's buggy as fuck to the point where even simple things like tmux sometimes go haywire. It will be usable for anything remotely serious in like 3 years at the very least.

It clearly says Windows 10 with major updates being listed under the 'latest update' tab, so the EOL date very much applies to Windows 10 as a product.

I'm too lazy to look, but if I had to guess there's a separate listing for each significant releaser, or simply one for the last major release. If they actually put out an EOL for the original Windows 10 version number then that would be pretty big news.

There are EOS listings for each major release at the bottom of the page. There's also a EOL listing for Windows 10 as a product at the top of the page.
Thing is, it was in the news. But it wasn't a part of MS marketing campaign, so media didn't really push it and turns out nobody actually gives a shit.

...but I give a shit

Given the number of businesses that rely on Win7, they might just keep pumping out security-only updates indefinitely.

pastebin.com/quC0gz4j

I hate windows 10, regardless if it was telemetry free... Will be switching to Linux once 7 died out... Few gaymes I play run decently there too.

That looks disgusting.
I doubt we will see windows 11 any time soon, the model they have right now allows them to release a complete different OS under the same "Windows 10" name.

Also: that picture looks disgusting.

Never. They will just name it Windows and it will be a rolling release

>Separate versions is an antiquated system.
You mean like Linux distros?

>telling lies

Linux distros don't handle it particularly well, no. But they're functionally pretty similar to how apple does it.

Well that's no surprise

adf

because OSX is a unix OS. When will MS gets the credit it deserves for having literally the only unique OS

>unique
If that was the most important feature we'd all be on unity right now.

What's so good about it over 7 or 8.1

device/driver support
dx12 for gaymes (not important now, but soon)
that's about it. otherwise they're all identical.
I think the interface is better but I suppose that's subjective. This is based on 8.1 though because I haven't used 7 in years.

No it doesn't retard. It's referring to specific updates, just like the old SP updates. Windows 7 has SP1 has a later EOL date than Windows 7.

Just like how Windows 10's Creator's update has a later EOL date than the Anniversary Edition. That's what it's referring to.

You would know this if you weren't fucking retarded.

I still think they should return to what they did around 2003. Then again, I have no doubt if they allow more that one install, it will see keys sold on ebay for dirt cheap.
I guess that's the problem MS found.
The times had change and a cd with limitless installs is no longer profitable.. People ruined MS office.

I'm strangely upset that this isn't still a thing. I miss putting in a cd and it was my software or game and at most all I needed was a code.
There was once a time where my computer had 4 disk drives to copy to at once so I could make money selling bootlegs on ebay. Now I have only one drive and all it ever does is play old music cds I find around the house

It's people like you which is the reason why it isn't a thing.
Cheers.

If I hadn't done it numerous other people would have. and they did. don't be pissed at me for capitalizing on an opportunity.

>not important now, but soon
Only for the shit in windows store. No sign of it making a noticeable difference anywhere else.