Tablet was supposed to kill pc

t.according to everyone in 2011
What happened?

Other urls found in this thread:

asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Apple-A-semiconductor-superpower-in-the-making
eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1328561
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It was a giant phone, and people were expecting a small PC.

It's happening, just slowly. See Surface Pro + iPad Pro + newest Chromebooks.

Surface pro & Ipad pro are 2-in-1 laptop. What does it have to do with tablet?

chromebooks are the biggest meme

Tried in 2002

>It was a giant phone, and people were expecting a small PC.
/thread
Give us a regular sized phone that is a small (dockable) pc
This will kill the pc

Tablet was supposed to kill netbooks, and it did

They're tablets with keyboard covers.

You mean like the massive success that is Samsung Dex?

I thought tablet PC was a cool idea but I didn't have a purpose or even money for one. The iPad is a media consumption device which makes it easy to justify. But once you realize you can't do anything else on it then it seems like a waste of money. Basically the same problem that Windows tablets had but in reverse.
Apple and MS are both trying to fix their ends of the problem but neither has really done a great job.

they are referred to as 2-in-1 laptops.

steve dies

Did not work out for Windows phones. See the HP Elite x3.

HP Elite x3 is runing on a mobile OS, not the desktop OS.

MS is working on this with CShell and x86 emulation on ARM. Dex is downs syndrome because you're just running phone apps on a desktop. If MS actually puts reliable x86 emulation into a dockable phone with surface-level hardware they may finally have something.
Given their track record I'm not holding my breath but I'm excited to see what they've been working on.

It's just a gadget to play with for 2 days, then you throw it away. It serves no purpose, why would I want to buy an oversized smartphone that I can't put into my pocket, that defeats the whole purpose of smartphones to be mobile.

>according to everyone
nope
>What happened?
a strong sales pitch misled some pundits

Sort of. Elite X3 can act as a server client and stream desktop programs. It's integrated into the OS more than any other phone, and is still being supported and sold by HP for that reason. It's a good idea, but it doesn't work properly.

The only limitation of UWP apps is the amount of developers. It can be just as featureful as a desktop app.

> Dex
Ubuntu on ARM in chroot. I'd pay for that and migrate to that phone.
> Why?
My PC is always with me.
Less weight in business trips.
Longer battery life, considering the whole laptop dock can fit a giant battery now.
Actually, I thought about it for a long time but it can't be solved by a consumer. DisplayPort over USB is required to have more than one display but manufacturers rarely implement even MHL. Then it's problematic to get X.org on Android working. There's no docking stations to feature all of that, so there will be tons of dongles instead.

Phone screens became large enough to kill both tablets and PCs for most normie uses.

>pc
ITT: dumbfuck macfags. Tablets are PCs.

It kind of did for me. I barely use my pc now.

Except they aren't.
They are dumb terminals owned by companies.
PCs died when when they renamed "My Computer" to "This PC"

ARM its not enough.

UWP is a meme

IPad pro isn't a real computer.

Innovation left them a long time ago.

>x86 emulation
NO. DON'T DO IT

devices converged (2i1 and windows tablets). I know a lot of the public sector here uses ipads or tablets. I think it was a terrible idea to give them ipads and tablets though as i question the productivity gains

not everyone think that.

the software is shit and you can't actually get any work done. The only useful tablet is actually just a PC with a tablet form-factor and a shitty keyboard

you cant install another os on it, ergo not a pc

can you install linux on the surface?

you can't install another OS on certain Windows Laptops due to problems with the SATA-controllers.
Aren't those real PCs either?

not capable enough.

yes

what issues are you talking about? if its just a hardware bug i wouldnt say it disqualifies it as a pc, but if its an intentional thing then yeah, its not a pc, its just a laptop

They will turn the iPad into a PC.
asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Apple-A-semiconductor-superpower-in-the-making

hard to tell. also there are linux builds for ARM, which one could get to work on an iPad or android based tablet.
I think your definition of PC is silly.

Google, Amazon, Microsoft... Even Quallcom and Intel are all doing this. But yeah I wouldn't be surprised if Apple got credit for it.

>What happened?
It did.

Android IS a Linux build for arm

RIP Intel
RIP MS
RIP PC

I bet Apple wished that chart actually meant something.

>Android IS a Linux build for arm
lolno. Android will switch to Fuschia soon and no one will notice. Linux is not exposed in Android. it's just a low-layer.

>mfw people actually thought that would ever happen

As far as I know no one has shipped a mainstream OS on ARM laptops yet.

Whoever is first will get credit for it.

>hard to tell. also there are linux builds for ARM
correct, thats why a phone in addition to being a phone can also be a personal pc. Many are, mine definately is because its running the software i want it to, and i can change software at every layer. The issue with idevices is they dont have this support, and often its only gained through hacking the devices. thus some idevices can be hacked into becoming personal pcs (iirc some used to be capable of running android not through an emulation layer). If current ones only allow for emulation level custom software then they arent pcs.

*based on linux.

It never was meant to kill PCs, Mr. Titcomb

Android is a glorified Linux shell and I hope you enjoy supporting joogle

Move to what? PC is their only businnes.

They put iPad/android tablet as their own category ios or android, not a pc/laptop replacement.

>Mobile
Ok

>Move to what?
that's the problem for them. it's why their stock has been falling.

yeah, I got your point the first time. I still think it is a silly definition. It is a personal computer if it is build to do computations for a single person contrary to a server or mainframe which are build to do the computations of many persons.

The level of control I have over the computations IS certainly important, I agree. I wouldn't be comfortable with a PC that I can't control completely but thats not where I would draw the line for what a PC is and what is not.

yeah using android only idirectly supports google. depending on the way you set it up it only supports google in a very obscure and not profitable manner

perhaps then we need a better term. I define pc not as ownership personal but obviously the way i define it. so perhaps lpc or tpc

It's coming later this year but why people thinks it will change anything? It's just another way to jew you with the 4G/5G LTE cellular data.

I have like 15 computers so calling them my computer would get confusing

>implying

I agree. There needs to be a better term to differiantiate between ownership and usage meanings of personal.

Phones killed PCs instead.

How

we always have libre, but then only a few pcs (many 10 i think) are actually libre, and i dont know of a single completely floss system that has absolutely zero close sourced code. perhaps some risc machine exsists. Perhaps im reluctant to use the term since that then reflects on the state of computing today; being closed source no matter what. semilibre i'll call it.

in some senses they did although not really. they definitely have an annoying effect on certain parts like nand chips or controllers or whatever

Phones didn't kill shit, now everyone just has both.

Also, PCs last a fuckton longer now that SSDs became common and everyday home/office software demands hasn't even come close to hardware advancements.

Phones are still at the point where they become completely useless trash within 2 years and the main reason they sell so much. Once they reach the level where PCs have reached they'll fall off as well.

>What happened?
the smartphone killed the pc already. What do you think the ratio of phoneposters to pc posters in this thread?

It didn't. I just sent that from my 10 years old laptop. THings is a laptop last longer than a phone. They don't jew you to buy a phone every year.

This, phones took the place of tablets.

Tablets are merely a device for consumption of media. It's even a pain in the ass to do things like comment on social media, due to the virtual keyboard.

No one wants to pay $600 for that.

Good riddance.

>Phones are still at the point where they become completely useless trash within 2 years

Stop buying pajeet trash then

And it is supposed to kill PCs?

There's more to marketing than claiming invention and that's doing it right, which is what Apple did

Sounds like shilling but in 2010 the competition was laughable, and still is as Microsoft's just butchering their decent products

This

They failed to lure everyone to buy the shitpad.

Yes. Vast majority of people don't need PCs. Just like most people don't need trucks and vans.

PC == truck
tablets == cars

>makes a tablet that is actually usable and not shit
>"HAHA you didnt invent tablets they have been around since 2002 i dont care if they are shitty machines that no one used"

Surface Pro is.
Ipad Pro is shit crippled by toy OS and software lacking multitasking 30 years since it was available on bloody M68000 home computers.

They did, as consumption devices. It'll take a bit longer to really kill the laptop or PC in entirety, though.

They have utility in proper situations. For example, it's a lot more feasible to set up a school district on a couple carts of chromebooks which will require very little maintenance and charging compared to the cost of money and time for a single set of conventional laptops, tablets, or much of anything else.

The shills and the dude in the op picture claimed exactly that. Of course they were all dicks.

It will never kill PC, are you that delusional? If anything, phones want to be PCs but they can't.

Unless we really wall up on diminishing returns with technological improvements, eventually a phone or tablet will have enough horsepower where the average consumer will not care to shell out the extra money for a "proper" laptop or desktop in favor of using a dock/monitor setup with their more mobile/portable device.

In gaming you can already see it starting with the rise of smartphone gaming and the Switch. The Switch in particular shows that specs are not as important if you can offer a convenient and flexible interface, and when things get enough on controls and the like the market will abandon dedicated home consoles in droves.

There you go faggot

That's a literal PC. What are you on?

>fans
>tablet
inb4 m3 version
>wangblows
>4gb ram

It literally has tablet written on it

It's running on a PC desktop OS.

then take a surface pro with wangblows RT from several years ago

Windows RT is not a desktop OS.

>This will kill the pc
Until the price is justifiable, no. The current PC replacements out there are fucking expensive and not good.

It is still occurring? Less and less people buy PCs, more and more buy tablets.

No productivity apps when it launched.

There is no "cloud" without data centers, and almost every data center runs on x86.
Intel isn't going away any time soon. Don't even try to bring up Power or SPARC because they don't even add up to 10%.

Journalists are quite literally clueless stupid asshole liars by trade who take everything out of context for money. Note how this idea started right around the time clickbait did.

Serious desktop software still isn't web based especially if it's not text but graphics of some kind. You're a clueless fucking moron if you even think this could happen even now - so you're basically a journalist.

One of the other fun problems to see happen is how something has been going "too well" for too long and stupid shits like journalists start questioning everything. For example if you banned all PCs tomorrow including the accounting software, suddenly you'd start hearing about payroll problems where they get it wrong all the time. Or if you insisted everyone had to be like you and type on a tablet, it would take software developers ten times as long to make anything. Oh all I do is dick around on twitter, what do all the other departments even DO? Well if your world wasn't completely based in bullshit maybe you'd be able to figure it out.

THIS is why you shouldn't read the news. Hippie stuff aside and political stuff aside, there is absolutely NO FUCKING CONSEQUENCES as a journalist shit to just MAKE SHIT UP. Just cite some homeless person as your source and rake in the clickbait money. This is not going to stop until the masses learn to stop clicking on this fucking shit. So never.

Phones are already getting to the point of being usable after years. I still use my S5 from years ago. The only think that keeps phone sales thriving is the whole walled garden ecosystem where manufacturers can hold you off system upgrades unless you renew every two years.

Good post

>There is no "cloud" without data centers, and almost every data center runs on x86.
not for long. RISC-V is close.

eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1328561

Google and others are gonna move to RISC-V in less than 5 years. What then?

Also, Google already has RISC-V TPUs in their data centers:

>The Google TPU is designed as an ISA extension of RISC-V according to the paper

>THIS is why you shouldn't read the news.
don't be an extremist. read the news, but apply some critical thinking. separate the facts from the opinions, then form your own opinions.