do you have a local intranet?

and what does it consist off

Other urls found in this thread:

cnx-software.com/2017/08/14/intel-gemini-lake-block-diagram-and-yet-more-info/
qnap.com/en-us/product/ts-251 /specs/hardware
asustor.com/en/product?p_id=52
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822179103
amazon.com/Seagate-IronWolf-7200RPM-3-5-Inch-ST10000NE0004/dp/B01M4FU8Y3
webhallen.com/se-sv/natverk_och_smarta_hem/natverkskort/pci-express/release/?filter_text=&filter_price_min=119&filter_price_max=4390
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2.5GBASE-T_and_5GBASE-T
buffalotech.com/resources/5gbe_-a-real-game-changer
ebay.co.uk/itm/12U-Wall-Mounted-Server-Cabinet-600-W-x-450-D-server-rack-cabinet-/192156573943
store.netgate.com/Chelsio/T520-SO-CR.aspx
nextplatform.com/2016/03/24/construction-zones-ethernet-roadmap/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

When people call a local network of 30 clients intranet it grinds my gears.

This really should be a home server thread.

but intranet sounds cool

this lot, 5 desktops, 4 laptops, 3 tablets, couple of kindles, 6 or 8 consoles and 3 phones or something like that

>intranet
thats some adorable names you picked there

An Acer TravelMate 5740 in the middle of my livingroom floor which I SSH into from work when I'm bored. One day I'll use it as a fileserver but I literally have no fucking idea what I'm doing.
Come to think of it, what is an intranet?

didnt mean to quote the intranet

- Synology 5-bay NAS
- Ubiquiti 5 port PoE 1Gb Router
- Netgear all-in-one router repurposed as an AP
- some 1GbE switches

I'm at that spot where normies think my setup is over-complicated wizardry but where anybody who knows anything laughs because I didn't build my of NAS, have a rackmount router, etc.

cnx-software.com/2017/08/14/intel-gemini-lake-block-diagram-and-yet-more-info/

Hey Sup Forums, will Gemini Lake be good enough for a home NAS? Runs 24/7 so it needs to be low power so Core products are out of the question

im at the point where im considering getting a 10gb network since 1 gigabit is starting to get a bit "slow" when doing large backups

does goldmont even do ECC?
beyond that, full graphics system but only 2 SATA ports makes this look like gimpy living room media player more than storage oriented.

>intranet

Since that's basically just a fancy way of saying LAN then sure, I've got one.

I have a 24/7 home server that's a router/firewall and Bitcoin and Tor and YaCy server. It's connected to two gigabit ethernet switches and a wireless router. These switches are connected to a NAS server that's mostly off and my desktop and whatever people decide to plug into the wall ethernet jacks that's around, mostly laptops.

yeah I honestly am sick of 1GbE speeds too, but:
prebuild NASs with 10GbE (and preferably ECC and NVMe support) are outrageously priced
I've been waiting for a Zeppelin-based Xeon-D like platform to come out (4x 10GbE and 8x SATA on die) to no avail.

qnap.com/en-us/product/ts-251 /specs/hardware

asustor.com/en/product?p_id=52

All these use older Apollo Lake or Braswell generation Pentiums or Celerons, seems to work fine

That is undoubtedly very cool, but what do you even do with all that?

yeah, but a 2 drive NAS is a complete fucking joke.

What's the cabinet model that's housing it all?

Why? You can have 20TB of storage these days

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822179103

amazon.com/Seagate-IronWolf-7200RPM-3-5-Inch-ST10000NE0004/dp/B01M4FU8Y3

Now you're on a topic that really annoys me.

Gigabit ethernet over twisted pair has been a standard since 1999. I didn't get it that early but I'm fairly sure I made the switch from 100mbit to Gigabit with one of those "starter packs" that was around at the time with two cards and a switch around 2006.

Has there been advancements in other computer-related areas since 2006? Or 1999? Why, yes, there's been some minor improvements in a few areas... but computer networking has been standing still.

THIS IS ANNOYING.

Now, there is some "progress",

webhallen.com/se-sv/natverk_och_smarta_hem/natverkskort/pci-express/release/?filter_text=&filter_price_min=119&filter_price_max=4390

Now they actually have 10Gigabit cards for sale. FINALLY. Just one, though, and it was added [2017-09-14]. And by just one I don't just mean that they have one card from one vendor, no, they literally have ONE of those cards in stock.

What am I going to do, buy that one card they have in stock and .. network it with itself?

And btw, they still don't have a single switch or router or anything else for sale. Not one.

Shitpost on Sup Forums

you can buy secondhand 100 GbE cards off ebay for 1GbE over UTP is that the received signals are so noisy that the receiving/decoding process is really computationally intensive.
the low density parity check FEC (= Gallager codes = turbo-codes but invented in the '60s and rediscovered) decoders still use 3-5 Watts per 10GBASE-T port on semi-modern fabrication nodes.
unfortunately, UTP is really the only viable consumer-grade wired solution, and WiFi took a lot of wind out of the sails of consumer wired ethernet anyway.

> 2*10TB NAS with no RAID

that's a lot of eggs in one basket.
I wouldn't even do 2*10TB RAID1.
the time it takes to wipe/image/parity-scrub a drive is roughly the square root of capacity, and a 10 or 12 TB drive can easily take over a whole day for any of these operations.

Since you seem to have some knowledge.. why didn't they make a less demanding consumer standard if 10GBASE-T is too difficult?

10 times as fast would obviously be nice. But even if we had just gone from say 1GBASE-T to 2GBASE-T then that's still twice as fast, right. If better is easy then just five gigabit, half of 10 gig, would be a huge improvement.

Just on a personal note, my RAID6 RAID array can read files at gigabit speeds but wouldn't be able to fill a two gigabit pipe.

I have from time to time looked into things like bonding/teaming but from what I've read there's no easy way to have two computers with two network cards in them connect to one switch and get twice the bandwidth between them. There's some switches with support for AD or what that's called but they usually just allow one box to be connected with bonding.

> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2.5GBASE-T_and_5GBASE-T
> buffalotech.com/resources/5gbe_-a-real-game-changer

gimped 10GBASE-T is actually just recently a thing.

but honestly, you can get a 4*10GBASE-T + 12*SFP+ port switch from Ubiquiti for $500 now, so I'd just go with that for NAS.

If you're really cheap, just buy some used 10GbE cards and do a direct crossover connection from your NAS to your main workstation.

i have a bunch of old laptops that i don't use for much due to a couple having broken monitors or power bricks. how hard would it be to make them into a server cluster like this?

I think it was this one

ebay.co.uk/itm/12U-Wall-Mounted-Server-Cabinet-600-W-x-450-D-server-rack-cabinet-/192156573943

pretty much as labelled - cluster is running this just now

docker swarm? very easy so long as you've some way of networking them

This seems incredibly inefficient and wasteful. Who does this kind of thing?

Someone with a hobby? Technically all hobbies are "incredibly inefficient and wasteful", they're all 100% things that don't strictly need to be done, they're only done for the enjoyment of doing them. Have you ever enjoyed anything user? Or is that too inefficient and wasteful for you?

Anyone got a HP Microserver Gen10 yet?

I am colocating my server in a datacenter in the city 20 minutes away. 1Gbps port and /28 IPv4 for $60/month. My power bill was higher then that when I ran it in my house.

Is there something wrong with you? You need therapy or something. I never suggested there was anything wrong with hobbies.

Unless you have a gigabit connection that sucks.

This is not true for mdadm RAID1 or a mirror ZFS vdev. Rebuilding a mirror takes less than an hour even for multi TB drives. There's no parity BS involved at all. RAID5/6 or RAIDz1/2/3 units are where you get the week long rebuilds. Between that and the improved I/O, I use mdadm RAID10 or striped mirror ZFS vdevs wherever I can.

Solution: Fibre home networking? 10Gb media converters etc are still wallet-breaking but I'm sure they'll come down with time.

Its sad that I have more VLANs than you have computers

>he doesnt have quad 10GbE

>but computer networking has been standing still.
It hasnt you just havent been paying attention

>Now they actually have 10Gigabit cards for sale.
100GbE has been around for years

>UTP is really the only viable consumer-grade wired solution
STP exists and fiber is cheap

>why didn't they make a less demanding consumer standard if 10GBASE-T is too difficult?
They did, its called N-BaseT

>Ubiquiti for $500 now
Shit boxes full of bugs. You can get Nexus 5010s for dirt cheap.

>local intranet
so basically LAN? Yeah.

die in a fire weeaboo faggot

so, only one person in the entire thread has any kind of real server?

/reddit/ wins again

sysadmin are you still alive

for the most part, yes - med making feel a bit undead mind you

Nice to see you're around, stay strong.

will do, life is good! be better if I could sleep properly, but I take what I can get.

NAS, HDhomerun, and then the other shit like TVs, phones, and computers

I have an old pc running arch as a very simple nas/torrent/irc bouncer. And a ac68u as router.
However I've set up kvm and installed pfsense. I can't get host-guest networking to work however and will probably have to rely on a ugly pc-switch-pc setup.
That is assuming I can be bothered to actually finish setting it up.

Real servers are fucking awful to use at home unless you have a separate room for them with adequate cooling and sound protection.

>You can get Nexus 5010s for dirt cheap.
yeah, but not everyone is in the market for 10 year old data center surplus rackmount equiment.

we're talking about the mainstreaming of 10GbE, not how to indulge in your basement hobby on the cheap.

The mainstream doesn't want 10GbE. They dont even want desktops, they want phones and occasionally laptops.

anime forum

don't like it? leave

doesn't even have to be datacenter to be mainstream.
office LANs count too, and 10GbE would actually be a benefit to a lot of uses there.

>office LANs count too,
Well go spend several grand on a Catalyst 3850 or 9300 so you have N-BaseT ports

>would actually be a benefit to a lot of uses there.
No it wouldn't. If any desktop worker needs 10GbE you just set them up on a VDI solution. Office workers dont need more than 100Mb ports.

>>UTP is really the only viable consumer-grade wired solution
>STP exists and fiber is cheap

SFP a shit, and fiber only cheap if you're talking about buying used ebay transceivers.
Compared to $5 ethernet cables, they're in totally different market segments.

I wish that plastic optical fiber would have taken off, since the supported lengths at 10Gb are more that sufficient for home use and you can literally terminate it with scissors and a ferrule clamper.

Are these good NICs? Want pfsense compatibility

store.netgate.com/Chelsio/T520-SO-CR.aspx

>SFP a shit, and fiber only cheap if you're talking about buying used ebay transceivers.
They're $16 from fs.com for SR optics

>Compared to $5 ethernet cables, they're in totally different market segments.
Its a apples and oranges comparision, a SFP is the entire PHY layer which makes the switch cheaper.

And if you can't afford a $16 SFP+ module then you cant afford the hardware to utilize 10GbE

Only Intel and Chelsio work properly at all on FreeBSD derivatives, Intel is overpriced and you can't go wrong with SFP+

>Intel is overpriced and you can't go wrong with SFP+
Intel X520s are cheaper than that Chelsio

Are lowend Intel NICs any better than realtek?

what does that have to do with anything?

The word you are looking for is LAN.

Ok Sup Forums look, servers suck. What you want is workstations with server hardware. They’re silent and badass.

Example: last year I picked up a Dell t7600 workstation with 2x2670s (Xeon 3.4 ghz 8 core x2) with 128gb ran for 800$ on amazon. If you price that workstation it was $13800 2 years ago.

It runs esxi with zero modifications and has dual gbit intel nics plus hardware perc raid with SAS/Sara hot swap. I have 2 of these and use them for my homelab. I have about 18 vms with various uses.

Also have a qnap for mass storage.

> all this autism

NICs + SR transeivers + fiber cables cost orders of magnitude more per port more than a preterminated Cat5 cable plugging in to basically everything that already has RJ45 ports.

Anybody who's not a welfare case can buy any of this shit, but it won't become universal until the cost is low enough that manufacturers start throwing it in normie equipment, which is most definitely not the case today.

The problem is that until >1Gbps home fiber becomes available there's literally no need for most normies to have 10GbE anywhere.

What do you guys use these retardedly complex setups for? I've got a NAS I built myself, a WRT1200AC and I can't see why a home user would need anything else.

Serious question, if you guys are doing this for a hobby then I get it, but I'd like to know if there's something I'm missing by not having rackmount routers.

>caring about 1G> over the WAN

Please, it's all about those local network transfers.

>preterminated Cat5 cable plugging in to basically everything that already has RJ45 ports.
Cat5 isnt even rated for 1GbE. Congrats on poorfagging to the extreme. I'll stay with quad 10gbe. And i'm going to take a nap, i'll shit talk you more in a few hours.

here's mine

>if there's something I'm missing by not having rackmount routers.
Oh no, you're not missing anything. It's their hobby, it makes them feel cool roleplaying being a real sysadmin.

They buy expensive(compared to consumer gear with the same performance), old, loud and inefficient rack servers. Sometimes combine them with impractical, cheap low power SoCs.

Nothing really, it's a hobby. It's like asking why people need to buy 500HP cars, there's no reason other than because they want too.

That being said, prosumer level gear is all anybody here really needs, just enough features to give you control while keeping costs low.

The most cost effective upgrade really is running cables properly, most people either don't care and stick with wifi or do it poorly and have visible cables.

> bragging about quad 10Gb

please tell me what it feels like to post on Sup Forums via an obamaphone.

nextplatform.com/2016/03/24/construction-zones-ethernet-roadmap/

It's basically taking so long to roll out cause none of the major consumer mobo/switch manufacturers wanna take the initial couple year hit on making them "affordable" and taking the loss.

>ASUS branded 10G NIC

Embarrassing, I'd rather be seen with a r8169

No one cares what you have at work. bixnood.net is obviously something at home.

>not aligned to RU
>overloaded and bowed in sliding tray
>zyxel switch
absolutely disgusting

sorry to impart such a poorfag sense of burning shame, but this is literally in my living room, from today on a Sunday.

I also have some multiple 40 Gb Mellanox switches for all of this.

I did it today. And it will come the Tuesday.

I didn't realize that slide tray was bowing. Time to buy a real tray for that area, haha.

What is the RU that i'm not aligned? I'm not familiar with this.

The zyxel was cheap, meh!

>forum

Kill yourself retarded weebshit

>I have all these things at home
>I have no pictures of anything setup in my home
>i dont have servers in a meme domain to post pictures of
congrats on stealing a $50 cable from work

literally nothing but the switch is aligned to a RU. you see those numbers and lines on the posts? your equipment is supposed to be aligned to them.

>real server
Have you ever tried to run rack hardware at home? The sheer amount of inconvenience of it all drives me up the fucking wall.

I have 2, whats the problem with it?

i guess that overloaded tray is aligned to a RU as well but it is triggering and wasting space

I don't live in a basement where my mum pays for the electricity. I'd rather use the $100+ per month on drone parts than handing it over to the utility jews.

Most normies do fuck all LAN transfer.

no literally, my backup equipment that I don't even bother to keep racked is worth more than your ghetto rig.

With my 24 bays, I found that they wouldn't align with the numbers.

The sliding tray came with the rack.

I didn't feel like taking out the rails at the top (also came with the rack), so the tray underneath just got mounted there.

This rack came from my work. They sold one their sites and i was able to keep it.

You're definitely right that I was being lazy about it as far as the top tray goes.

I'm not quite sure why the 24 bay systems didn't align on that level that you're speaking of though.

This is my first rack, so I'm quite new to a lot of this.

pic related

the 2 servers, a switch and 2 APs are using like 750 watts. its like $65/month at $0.12 kW/hr

>still no pics of anything setup at home…
congrats on being a IT contractor and having equipment at home waiting to be deployed

>With my 24 bays, I found that they wouldn't align with the numbers.
they will. literally everything aligns to RUs, except for the occassional odd ball equipment which is a fractional U, I've had some 60 bay 4.3U equipment from HP at work

I saw some 1.5U machines once, I think the idea was that you install them in 3U pairs. But 4.3U? WTF?

>not taking account of the air conditioning
do you just stew in the waste heat 24/7 or something?

AT&T access point in bridge mode connected to a WRT54G running dd-wrt connected to a server with 8TB in RAID0. Save for a printer connected to the router everything else is on WiFi.

Half the year it can be cooled with a cheap $20 window fan

yeah who knows why. looked up the model, they were HP SL4540. they came with .6U blanking plates but we never bothered using them and just stuck 6 in each rach

> imblying any place would even let you deploy 5 year old switches

I'm unfortunately in the middle of a move with shit not up to take pictures of, but here's some equipment maybe more on the level of what you're familiar with.
(CX4 uplink ports if you're too pleb to recognize)

>random boxes and old as fuck video cards
As I said you dont have a home lab as evidenced by your pictures. Let along anything justifying a 36 port 40GbE switch which you are waiting to deploy to a customer. No one cares about things you dont own.

>6 or 8

This is really bothering me. How could you possibly be unsure if it's 6 or 8. It's either "6 or 7" or "7 or 8". Do you only buy and keep consoles in pairs or something?

what you are referring to is the lan.
And yes I do have one involving about 4 subnets.

10Gb has been around for long enough. The issue is that pickup has been slow because there is almost no justification for it outside of the server room or network closet, so sales have been struggling. Cisco recently walked back a battle with IEEE to allow for 2.5 and 5Gb standards to push out to end devices that as of today are not needing 10Gb.

>Do you only buy and keep consoles in pairs or something?

Knowingly the kind of aspies that visit this place, I wouldn't doubt that's a possibility.

I don't think you need this much to play touhou

>Rebuilding a mirror takes less than an hour even for multi TB drives
>drive sequential read/write speed of ~200MB/s
>~700GB/h
The numbers don't seem to agree with you.