disclosure.zone/index.php?page=article&id=18

Other urls found in this thread:

ataribox.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

sounds breddy gud.

Looks like a pain in the ass to keep the clean

AYY
THANK YOU, BASED ATARI

It should at least be fun to develop for and unlike Sony products, doing so won't take warranty voiding hacking skills and/or a fortune.

slick af

While I have no intention of getting one I'm pretty pleased that there seems to be a growing interest in Linux based gaming platforms that are designed to compete with traditional consoles. Hope they'll actually get some market share and Linux compatibility for games ends up being more than an afterthought.

That is also a very nice looking machine.

It's nice to see others excited about Atari!

If anyone is interested in homebrew development, check out Atariage. They will no doubt be the place to participate when the time comes. atariage.com/forums

NO GAME MACHINE

>open platform
>easy cracking of drm
Good luck getting devs to make games for you

Why indiegogo? they arent indie

> Atari Console
> DRM
> LOL

Good question! I'd imagine it has something to do with them either experimenting with new funding sources or that they are outsourcing development to a third party who will receive the funding.

Dude open source lel

It didn't say the Linux distribution in particular would be open source, but they did say essentially that there will not be any built in restrictions to keep people from hacking their own system.

Good luck on doa console
No publisher will agree except for f2p or always online ones

Ouya 2.0

this.

This but unironcially.

STEAM
T
E
A
M

also

GOG
O
G

Is Atari retarded? Steam machines are DEAD. You can only be a console manufacturer these days if you're dedicated enough to provide full support for studios.

Nonsense... Atari was one of the first console makers, they know how to make a success.

This is going to do worse than the Ouya and even OnLive.

It's literally just a Linux box with an emulator and a frontend. No different than what Nintendo did, except, Atari isn't hiding the fact that they're just using pirated ROM's

Microsoft was one of the first tech companies. They know how to make a success

LINUX
GAMING
DEAD
ON
ARRIVAL

>linux based
Niceme.me

And you're telling me this is not going to be some 1$ hardware emulator/android box sold for $50-$100?

Which is why they've spent the last 20+ years as nothing but a brand name that no one wants, right?

so it's pretty much a steambox without steam

Why can't it just have windows? I want to play games, not code.

>Atari was one of the first console makers
Yeah, but that's not Atari, that's Infogrames.

More like Steambox 2.0
A product that's not objectively bad but simply has no reason to be bought because there is nothing that it does better than something you can just build yourself for less money.

Holy shiieeet!

Is this is the GNU/Linux gaming console we were waiting?

If it has decent hardware for the price of a console I'd buy it. I like the idea of steam boxes, an open platform for games without the hassle of a PC with a nice form factor for the living room

this

when it fails i'm going to tap one and repurpose it

What were they thinking!

Atari ST Book

Atari Stacy

Atari Portfolio

Atari ST

Looks comfy.

Atari 800XL

Atari 800

Atari 400

That model is rare. The Portfolio and ST are comfy! I have those as well as 400, 800xl, VCS, and 2600 Jr.

Atari SX212 Modem

Atari 1027 Printer

Cash Register?

>mfw we are now witnessing the beginning of a new era of Atari

That Atari is long dead. This Atari was formerly known as Infogrames Entertainment they bought the name then changed their name to Atari.

If this is librebootable I am fucking buying one!

Here is their official website ataribox.com/

It's beautiful though. With that Atari wood paneling

Any day now
The year of the Linux desktop

A steam machine and/or emulation box. It's guaranteed flop. It has nothing to offer at all other than possibly selling at a loss with good specs.

Well, they are trying to provide the Atari™ experience

As IF Atari would simply depend on Steam for games..

YES

Looks like it. They are doing a good job -- so far.

Printer+5 1/4" floppy drive

err they never said it would be open to develop for

this isnt even the original atari. But even if it was they've been out of the buissness for 20 years. they're not relevant at all. They will not manage to get any viable exclusives.

where can i buy one? looks sexy as fuck

i hope someone does the same for amiga. would love to take the stroll down the memory lane

So then it will never work and will have questionable connectivity to anything that doesn't use HDMI 2.0?

>Open Linux Platform
I guess piracy is going to kill it before it can actually do anything.

I'd love to see smaller devs get somewhere on consoles, lord knows most of the console market is dominated by the same regurgitate shit

>STEAM
this.

negative. Atari is dead. Died after creating a huge landfill with cartridges and being out of touch with reality.
Whoever is behind this, is as deluded as they were. They will move some units fueled only by nostalgia, but that won't be enough.

Because Candy Crush Saga is a shitty game. They even removed Space Cadet!

so this is pretty much a Linux/AMD version of the nvidia shield tv

I hope with you

>no discs or cartridge
>digital only
D.O.A.
O
A

Fuck off Microsot. Yes, we know is you.

I'm still salty about space cadet

>adding a lump in the back so you cant set anything on it

It will never launch. Don't get excited. Too few people are interested.

Because they have absolutely nothing to show. They haven't even begun the production and are just jerking around with the case. Otherwise they'd use kickstarter.

It's a desktop PC/OS. Games are still made for desktops last time I checked. Also, platform being open doesn't mean games will be and it doesn't mean games are any more difficult or easier to crack/pirate than they are on desktop computers, yet nobody stops making games for desktops. Look at steam and SteamOS. They're doing fine and so are devs that publish games there.

It's literally a desktop PC in a small box. It won't be any more difficult to develop for it than it already is.

It's not a steam machine. It has the same idea, but it probably won't make the same mistakes. One of the problems with steam machines was that it was overpriced and there were too many versions of them. Atari box sounds like it won't be a bad piece of hardware for 300$ (which is a standard console price). Remember, you're literally getting a compact, new, working desktop computer for 300$. Sure you could build a budget computer for nearly the same price, and depending on the parts it could perform better, but this box is small and semi-portable and comes configured for games and media consumption.

You'll be able to install windows.

You can support it on indiegogo soon™.

It would be amazing if they had exclusives. Then again, it wouldn't matter since you could play them on your Linux desktop. But it could help both Atari and Linux if they had amazing exclusives. Unfortunately they're unlikely to get exclusive contracts when windows has a 90x bigger userbase on Steam so devs would earn 90x more if they don't make Atari/Linux exclusives.

Except it won't be as shit since nvidia runs on Android. And it will probably be more powerful.

So it's a Steam machine?

Is Microsoft hiring someone to boycott this?

the link is honestly a much better concept than the steambox

Why would they even care? It's DOA.
You seem to be obsessed with MS.

This looks like a success.

No? Are you a winfag retard by any means?

Nope, its going to let people use the desktop and install and play their own games and software. Its basically a mini x86-64 pc (amd ryzen/vega apu) that will easily run most games of today. I may actually buy one and use it as an htpc (with the cool atari extras)

Who was dumb enough to throw out Centipede? That's a great game.

This. I bet collectors would pay big cash for a copy.

I might buy it if it has an amd cpu with some hackability, such as replaceable ssd and maybe upgradeable ram.

It looks pretty good and I'm ln the market for a 4k htpc.

I'd imagine you can replace the drive, you've been able to do that on PlayStations for the last >15 years. RAM I wouldn't be too surprised if it was soldered

>Atari Stacy

Where's the Atari Chad?

It's most likely an almogodo desert shot, where atari dumped millions of unsold cartridges.

I thought that was specifically ET games

It's what the rumor said, but when they actually found it, there was copies of several other things as well.

The ET launch was hilarious. It's almost like they were TRYING to crash the whole thing. They made more cartridges than there were consoles in circulation!

Do we know its specs?

>An Open Linux Platform
If I can't install Gentoo on it then I don't want it.

>gog
Have fun with indie shit and most indie won't even port for linux if they already haven't
>steam
Nigger you need devs to port the game, games won't automatically work.

Looks really aesthetic, can anyone point me to some details? Will it run old classics? Emulate like a wii? Run full distros? Is it targeted at triple A games like xbone/ps4? or will it run inhouse shit like Switch?

did you want to prove him right?

>The year of the Linux desktop
don't you mean year of Linux couch?
you can be disappointed by multiple memes simultaneously

which market does this appeal to? The promo picture has a TV with a green with games on it and one is asteroid. Why the fuck would I want to play asteroids and if I did then why would I want to buy an ataribox to do so?

Useless product with no target market desu