Android Pay

What's Sup Forums's opinion on Android pay and similar services?

Worst than IOS

doesn't work with rooted devices, so it's worthless

Contactless acceptance is far shittier in the US, so Samsung Pay (which additionally emulates the magnetic stripe, but uses tokenization when it does so to prevent replay attacks/make skimming useless) is far better. I use Samsung pay quite a bit.

*worse

>using anything else but cash
Do you even privacy

This is my thing with it. It seems to me like jewgle is turning android into iOS just so some retards can have a new meme payment system.

I already carry a wallet and my card is already NFC enabled, so I see no point in this. Plus I don't have gapps.
It does.

Apple Pay lets you pay with your Apple Watch. I hope Android Wear gets similar functionality.

Why the fuck is this needed? Like, is it so hard to take a plastic card out of your wallet?

Even if I wasn't worried about botnets I still don't see why I'd want this, since tying yet another thing to your phone just makes losing access to your phone that much more damaging. I already know people who, if they dropped and broke their phone, wouldn't be able to contact anyone, get around town, and now they wouldn't be able to buy things either? Insane.

Eh, I wouldn't mind using my phone instead of my NFC plastic card. But not through a fucking Google botnet. Hell no.
There should be an open standard that works across different banks and different phones...

>giving a massive corporation your credit card

Your credit card is issued by a massive corporation.

what is rural banks? coop banks?

At least in France, when we talk about this with restaurant, they say the NFC cards are a gift to humanity, but no one use smartphones or smartwatches to pay.

The rural banks tend to not be supported by Android Pay and similar services, therefore problem solved.

My credit union isn't supported.

Your "rural bank" debit card still has to be issued by Visa or Mastercard.

Too bad I live in Europe where every bank would rather implement its own HCE payment solution.

Use magisk.

What is Visa? What is MasterCard?

It's funny because rooting isn't like jailbreaking.

It's literally login into the admin account on your desktop.

Apparently I can't use my own operating system that I own the admin account for.

If we were talking about desktops people would be rioting.

The problem is the stigma around the term rooting that scares the consumer or normie and associating it as breaking the law or something.

It's fucked..

VISA and MasterCard just carry the transaction information. They aren’t actual corporations. The banks however are.

Incorrect. When you pay with a credit card, the credit card company (Visa, MasterCard) pays for you. The amount is later deduced from your account.
Debit cards, on the other hand, function in the way you described. The amount is directly dedued from your account, with nobody inbetween.

Good shit. I work in London, I no longer need to carry anything but my phone. Contactless public transport, contactless lunch purchase. It's pretty nice.

Also, even if the card in question doesn't have contactless support, it still works for this.

How much do you really save by not having to carry a wallet though? I don't know about you but I don't find carrying a wallet to be a burdensome issue in need of a solution.

Also I don't like the idea of "whoops, forgot to charge my phone, and now its dead... how am I gonna get home?"

I've carried a portable charger with me for years now, that's never really been an issue. It's more of a convenience thing - I can leave my bag, go out for a walk, buy lunch, and come back without having to take anything but my phone.

When I rooted my phone initially it didn't work. Then a few months later it started working again

Considering you live in Londonistan and Big Brother is always watching you do you carry any sort of id on your phone?

>I've carried a portable charger for years
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of not carrying a wallet?

I lug a laptop around, the charger isn't much in comparison. It's just the convenience of not having to dig around in the bag + I can't get it stolen. £30 limit is useful too, because on the off chance my phone gets nicked while it's unlocked they can't drain my entire account instantly.

And no, I don't. Unless you're buying an age restricted product like a butter knife, you don't really need to carry ID around. I have a drivers license just in case but I've never had to pull it.

Well it just seems redundant to be honest. But whatever floats your boat user.

A-also it's cool being able to slap your phone on things to pay for it.

I think the best use of this tech is combined with some of the "temporary card" stuff, where each payment is a separate card made on the fly by your phone so there's no card or account to jew anything out of, if the vendor is shady. Not sure how doable that is yet.

>where each payment is a separate card made on the fly by your phone
If that was the motivation behind this I'd be more enthusiastic. Especially if it had some private mode - the retailer just gets a confirmation that a transaction cleared for X dollars, but doesn't get your name or any unique identifier about you from your payment.

If that's what they're doing though I'll eat my hat. I'd bet good money the reason they want to do this on phones is to collect more information, not less.

>get your watch close to that thing
>it explodes
>not only does it burn your hand but it also burns the stores sensor
>not only do you have to pay for your medical bills, but you also need to pay for damages to the store
>apple wont give you any settlement because you signed a contract
>mfw

I actually use a service like this for online shopping. I create a temporary card for a single purchase, but the seller gets my name and whatnot. It's only the card number that's temporary.

Linking my bank account to THE botnet is something I'm not going to do. I'd rather barter with chickens and apples.

Pay with money or with a card at least. Why the fuck do you want your purchases to be tracked?

Losing your phone would be a tragic event in that situation

Massive corporations are the only ones I'd trust with my card number, they'd get their asses handed to them if they did anything malicious.

Absolutely nobody uses them.

Works great in my country since it's almost impossible to find any terminals that dont support nfc

meanwhile
>apple pay
requires merchants to be partnered and as such hardly works anywhere
>samsung pay
no one swipes anymore, most places have that disabled these days

but it does if your watch has nfc

Samsung Pay is the fucking best. I can pay with it at pretty much any store!

Samshit Pay seemed cool but they botched the launch (no surprise). But their phones are shit anyway so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

This shit is the precursor to the mark of the beast foretold in revelations. You should avoid this type of thing and demand to be able to use cash as long as possible.

As a delivery driver, I only ever see students use it, and every single time it's slower than them just using their card.

"How much is it?"
>unlocks phone
>stares at phone for a bit putting in passwords or turning on NFC or whatever the fuck
>confusingly hovers phone over card machine
>stares at the screen again
>tries again after enabling the payment
>beep, transaction complete

ok faggot you could have just took your card out and waved it over the machine and let me fucking leave

>a way of making my bank account less secure? Sign me up!

Do you get an hourly wage or a salary? If the prior, I'd happily let people take longer, I get more money for less work that way. When I was a cashier people used to apologize for taking so long and I'd just tell them "Don't worry, I'm getting paid the same amount to do less"

Paid per delivery only. I don't want people to waste my time. If every customer I deliver to is slow I make less money because I do less deliveries.

That's pretty shitty then

its cool to pay with my phone. i want to try

>Android pay
>your bank information is used by Google
Botnet.

Samsung pay master race

I use samsung pay quite a bit, but I still carry my card around since the store terminals sometimes just get their shit fucked up and stall the transaction.

Apple Pay user here...its fucking glorious.

Also, since retailers in the US cant get their shit together and routinely get their credit card databases hacked...Apple Pay virtualizating your card number is pretty fucking great.

Also, Android Pay IS Apple Pay, Thats why Google changed it from Google Wallet. They licensed the tech from Apple so that Android Pay would actually be accepted on the same terminals. Also, ApplePay user the secure element for NFC while Android Pay doesnt.

I Used Android pay in the past but it still had to carry my wallet around. I'm currently using Samsung pay for about 80% of my purchases. It works on every standard non nfc payment terminal I've tried it on.

I can't wait for Facebook to get what's coming

This also brings the question of teaching grandma and grandpa how to use this. It's already a pain in the ass to get some old people to answer a call let alone make payments with the phone.

its just a less botnet way of sating google pay

botnet
use magisk nigger.

I have an app from my bank for that already

You don't need to unlock/wake a contactless card

It's so fucking sad that people think having admin access to a device you bought and paid for could be illegal

It isnt even in use here. Like the only place that actually makes use of it is subway and when asked about the cashiers had no clue what I was tlaking about

There was a lot of shilling back in the day saying rooting voided the warranty.