mpv.io/manual/master/

User Scripts (including opengl shaders):
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/User-Scripts

High quality video output profile (goes into mpv.conf):
profile=opengl-hq
mpv.io/manual/master/#configuration-files

Input.conf:
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/etc/input.conf

Post your system specs and config if youre asking performance related questions.

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.nvidia.com/vulkan-driver
sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-player-windows/files/Test/
github.com/jb-alvarado/media-autobuild_suite/issues/608#issuecomment-333384812
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/commit/51985e3dd630a5fc212f643781b4a0ca7f590782
mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html
pastebin.com/vxJ2HF6x
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

OpenGL + Angle = 2200
OpenGL + Win = 1900
OpenGL + dxinterop = 1900 (dips down into 1600)
Vulkan = 3100
Huge improvement!

dxinterop is fixed on 240FPS for me for some reason. With or without opengl-dwmflush=no. Do i need to change something else?

I know vulkan is too new but does you guys also have problems when resizing the window while playing or paused?

Me again.
>opengl-backend=win 1200FPS
>opengl-backend=dxinterop 240FPS
>Vulkan= 1500FPS
AMD. Windows.

Everything seems fine on my end, especially going into fullscreen, mpv has never been faster for me

>problems when resizing the window while playing or paused
Yes. Playing in windowed mode feels very broken at moment. I never use it so i don't really care since fullscreen playback is perfect.

The MPV crashes for me sometimes after playback, I did the debug on it and this is error.

>Unhandled exception at 0x00007FFB4F5C3F80 (msvcrt.dll) in mpv.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000000014B5FFF0.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Ok then. Windowed mode also works well at its initial size.

Since osd has been deprecated I changed my input.conf to have P set to cycle osd-level

the only problem is that every time I do it also displays what OSD level mpv is set to
how can I stop that from showing?

picrelated

>no-osd cycle osd-level

noice
thanks lad

Figured out what causes this weird crash for me and "fix it".

>gpu-api=vulkan
If I change to opengl, it doesn't crash

How I isolated it, since I'm dumb with debug. At first I thought it might be something to do with outdated autoload.lua script, but I updated that and didn't change. Then I removed all the other scripts in the folder to control. Problem still persists. Then I cleaned out my mpv.conf file into just the basics with vo=gpu, profile=gpu-hq,gpu-api=vulkan(one per line without commas) and it still crashed. Finally removed gpu-api and then it didn't crash. Changed the line back to opengl(auto defaults to it) and no crash.

I can produce the crash fairly consistent. I use autoload script with mpv. Folder with few video files. Play a first file, skip the videos (right arrow key to the end), then wait for the script to load the next file. It will crash. Another way is to skip a bit (right arrow a bit) then move the click to last few second before end of video, wait for autoload to open next file, it will crash (might take few more tries for this route).

If anyone wants to test it and replicate this.

My guess is something to do with caching function and maybe some type of flushing mechanism that doesn't trigger properly?

You could have just used mpv --no-config --vo=gpu --profile=gpu-hq --gpu-api=vulkan

Also another quirk to this, if you play a file and hold skip to the end and it doesn't crash, repeat the procedure with the next file that's playing. Hold skip to the end. It will crash.

Well if you're talking about the deadlocks in rev2, sure; but what does that have to do with shaders?

--speed 2.5

Aliases less

There's also the cost of uploading the stats texture, which for high window resolutions can be quite big (bigger than the video itself).

Known bug, fixed in rev2

Nope, needs to be even newer. Try the nvidia beta drivers from developer.nvidia.com/vulkan-driver

i5-6400 + 16GB + GTX 1060 3GB + Win10 x64

hw specs, maybe this isn't an issue for AMD.

Not the other user but beta driver is 383.18, the user has a newer 384.90.

The regular drivers are better for Nvidia.

385.69 are the newest

I have the same crash.

Seems to happen randomly when switching files in the playlist via seeking or playing past the end. Can't trigger it with playlist-next.

No script is needed to trigger the crash.

Nvidia's version numbers are non-monotinic

Do those fix the std430 issue?

rev1 or rev2?

mpv-x86_64-20170930-git-052ae53.7z

no idea, i'm on the 382 branch

rev2
Window 10
GTX970

Does it still happen with rev2?

What's rev1 and rev2?

How do you change between the two? I'm only using the shinchiro's latest build/

Then why are you saying that 385.69 is better?

>How do you change between the two? I'm only using the shinchiro's latest build/
sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-player-windows/files/Test/

it's a newer branch which also includes vulkan.

>mpv-x86_64-20171001-git-f9a99d0-branch-vulkan-rev2.7z
Yep. Same crash. Found a new problem with rev2 version as well. The cscale option with ewa_lanczossharp/ewa_lanczos is broken. Video closes instantly with those two options

Onii-chan, why doesn't mpv have a built-in, finely tuned, anime preset so we don't have to copy/paste bullshit settings from people who don't know what they're doing?
Why don't mpv devs just give us a really good preset?

Because there's no objectively good preset that's better than gpu-hq, so the only good way to not force opinions on people is by only providing gpu-hq and leave subjective enhancements to the people.

>look mom I posted it again

Ahh the rev2 has other problems with windows/fullscreen/pause managements.

>Known bug, fixed in rev2
I just compiled latest rev2 on WSL and pic still freezes when resizing the window.

log shows some yellow lines
[vo/gpu/vulkan] Requested width 1072 does not match current width 998
[vo/gpu/vulkan] Requested height 603 does not match current height 562

Using mpv as my main music player is comfy.

github.com/jb-alvarado/media-autobuild_suite/issues/608#issuecomment-333384812 ohhhh nooooooooo

I use it as image viewer.

github.com/mpv-player/mpv/commit/51985e3dd630a5fc212f643781b4a0ca7f590782
YES FUCKING FINALLY

What is that? Thanks anyway, rossy.

ever since Vulkan commits compiling on Windows w/ MSYS hasn't worked
finally fixed it

>some winshit shit for wintoddlers and morons who can't install a real OS

>install Linugs :DDDDDD
>bug in AMD GPU driver limits my refresh rate to 120 Hz
>tablet drivers don't work without some pajeet unofficial workaround
did a 360 degree turn and walked RIGHT out of there

>he has a shitty gaymer TN monitor
Ew.

>he uses a shitty hobbyist OS
ew

>install Linugs

Such a meme, I got fooled in to that as well, I assumed it would be as good quality as mpv is but boy was I wrong.

120hz is better than 144

ikr

Why is it impossible to set custom refresh rate? Instead of 144 or 120 or 60, why not 130 or 24 or 44 or something. I can understand that overclocking monitor refresh rate is an issue due to bandwidth limitation, but downclocking should be doable right? Why isn't this a thing?

>Load zip file from samba share
>Takes ages to load and a while to switch between files
>Load same file from C:/ drive
>Loads instantly
Seems like more of a problem with samba or whatever, but any way to fix this? I'd assume that mpv just loads everything into cache anyway, but if I load the file from --cache-file it works slightly better on my samba drive and perfectly on my C:/ drive.

i only watch anime in its purest form

>unironically owning meme monitors

240Hz is less of a meme than any other refresh rate though. It perfectly squares up with 23.976Hz, 30Hz and 60Hz. So every content imaginable works perfect. And the increased motion clarity with 240Hz helps a ton.

So does 120Hz you dumbass.

it is

CRU

I seriously think madshi will give up madvr in a short time. Now that vulkan is running on windows, madvr is no longer needed.

he should give up because mpc-hc is a dead project

can you fuck off with your retarded and entirely off topic fanfiction?

120hz max refresh = 8.3 ms scan out
240hz max refresh = 4.2 ms scan out

The increase in motion clarity isn't linear and doesn't double, but it's noticeable. Even my dumbfuck normalfag friends can tell the difference.

not worth having to deal with TN garbage at a low res

Why should I use stock mpv instead of IINA

The 120 hz bug has been fixed for some time now

[post-purchase rationalization intensifies]

Wait and see little boy.
Madshi didn't work that much these last 3 months and there was not any madvr build this week.

How can I execute a cli command and show the result in the osd?
>execute date
>osd prints date
?

I'm on 0.27.0 but it's not recognizing 'gpu-hq' what do?

Unknown profile 'gpu-hq'.
Error parsing option profile (option parameter could not be parsed)
mpv 0.27.0 (C) 2000-2017 mpv/MPlayer/mplayer2 projects
built on UNKNOWN
ffmpeg library versions:
libavutil 55.58.100
libavcodec 57.89.100
libavformat 57.71.100
libswscale 4.6.100
libavfilter 6.82.100
libswresample 2.7.100
ffmpeg version: 3.3.4

You do you. I'm just saying 240Hz isn't bad. Sure the monitors are expensive but neither IPS or VA can push the pixels that fast, despite their better still image quality.

OLED sure but it'll take time for it to become affordable.

Image quality is more important for video playback.

Either build your own or download the shinichiro's latest build

I'd say it's 75% image quality and 25% motion quality for me but I also switch between watching some things on my Dell U3014 and Asus PG258Q.

I've seen these MPV threads frequently now and asked myself:

>Why should I use this over any other media player?

Could someone give me kind of a brief rundown (pros v cons)? I primarily use VLC so a direct comparison between those two would be nice.

Without knowing much about MPV (besides reading the wikipedia page and understanding some of it's brief history). There was a slight rundown on some features of the software that does sound intriguing.

Anyway, I would not be opposed to using this software. I merely wanted some additional information via actual users.

just try it yourself. its free. its not like buying a car.

mpv has less bloat, better quality and better integration than any other media player in the world.

mpc-hc, madvr, xysubfilter and all that shit looks and feels like some russian twink set it all up. you have to use registry hacks and bat files to make that shit work properly.

mpv? you just put it in a folder and associate videos, music, images or whatever to it and you're good to go.

Reminder to support MPlayer and abandon all bloat.

mplayer is full of bloat

basically, a really more lightweight player than MPC + MadVR, more compatible with other programs for streams and such, and far easier to setup.

Holy hell.
This player is fucking shit.

Seems that with that vulkan rev-2 Shinchiro's build, and using Vulkan, mpv can no longer estimate my secondary monitor's 144Hz refresh rate correctly, it just goes to insane refresh rates (600Hz~) and displays the video at faster playback.

try changing the swap mode

I most likely will at some point.

Easy to set up. Sounds good.

The way you describe makes it sound to be a good candidate for my older laptop. I'll probably try an install there.

Thanks for the advice fellas.

For me VLC out of the box the video looks washed out and shitty. You CAN change the settings to make it look better, but once you do that it has trouble seeking and every time you jump around in a video you get ugly green artifacts for a few seconds.

The mpv interface is a bit scarce (pic related) and you don't get a volume slider or anything, but the 9 and 0 keys turns it up or down, everything else is available with the mouse without a frontend. It just plays back much better, lets you do some fun things with your config if you wanted to, and just stays out of your way when you don't.

like, first time, you will have some difficulties, but on the long run, i feel it's vastly easier than MadVR. the manual they created explains stuff really well, and surprisingly, people on these threads really help.

It's a good candidate if you have a 4K display as well since shit like MPC-HC+madVR apparently need a 4-way Titan Xp SLI to use any decent scaling algo for 4K, meanwhile my old R9 390 did fine with Jinc equivalents.

Fifo does the same, fifo relaxed is unsupported by my device apparently, same for mailbox, and immediate just increases the refresh rate regardless.

Thanks for the info. Also, good taste in movies.

To be expected with new software. I feel I'll catch on quickly however.

No 4K display sadly haha. Although not a really high priority for me. I'm also running an ol' 390. Holding up pretty well despite the abuse I've put it through.

I really appreciate the input guys.

conveniently missing the part where development stopped altogether and the project was abandoned, they advertise mpv now: mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html

Post log

have you updated your drivers recently?

>missing the point

point is it's shit

pastebin.com/vxJ2HF6x
Yeah, yesterday.

>moving the goalpost

go make your own thread for your dead player

"Go make your videoplayer from scratch and don't take code from others".
Live and let live.