Finally, first world internet service (and without the Google Network Box of Ass-Fi and lack of $20 router options)

Finally, first world internet service (and without the Google Network Box of Ass-Fi and lack of $20 router options)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YpufzJNrZ2Y
flyovercountry.org/2014/02/google-fiber-gigabit-speeds-your-router-part-1-vlans/
flyovercountry.org/2014/02/google-fiber-gigabit-speeds-your-router-part-1-vlans/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Don't worry, I saved the screen shot from the last thread, we can still be friends :^)

;)

>Google Fiber

I'd take it if it meant $70 1gbps

>selling your soul for $70
A cheap whore is what you are

If your alternative is 50mbps cable for $100/month, fuck it.

I'm ok with this; just went from 200/20 to 945/945 for same money. I only use HTTPS as it is so they're only getting my requested URLs.

And the draw of finally not paying any money to the cable company cannot be overestimated.

>tfw live in dead zone for all my life
>All I get is shitty satellite and frontier
>Not even 1/2 a mile away from the closest suburban area
>Neighbors tell me how comcast started setting lines on their poles down the road
>Doubt it will come to fruitition
Why is it hell to be a rural fag, I just want something that isnt fixed/sattelite internet.

The only thing keeping me from moving to the country is lack of quality internet access. The Democrats just proposed $40B budget for getting rural areas real ISP service, and normally I'm against this sort of thing, but damnit I don't want to live in a city anymore.

>democrats keep giving money to the people who don't vote for them.

god dammit

Their least-serviced constituents are black people as they are a lock to vote for them anyway.

>The Democrats just proposed $40B budget for getting rural areas real ISP service
Great more money for ISPs.
This will likely change nothing unless if incentives are in place and will probably take years to be fully integrated.

Or actual regulation instead of trusting businesses to do the right thing and do the fucking job they're being paid to do.

>The Democrats just proposed $40B budget for getting rural areas real ISP service
You know this isn't the first time they've done this right? Each time the ISPs take the money and put up fuck all cable, point to it and say they tried, give us billions more and we'll try again. It's literally against the interest of ISPs for there to be many internet options available to people.

>tfw pay $60 a month for 6mbps
I hate centurylink so fucking much.

Some local governments have municipal ISP's now - Salisbury, NC has 10Gbps service for $400/month. It can work if there is proper oversight.

>requested URLs
Why are you not using DNScrypt?

I live in Gastonia, so I want to hand you a hearty FUCK YOU.

How would that solve anything? An ISP will still know what IP you're connecting two and the path/query string parameters.

youtube.com/watch?v=YpufzJNrZ2Y

If you fully encrypt your traffic through a VPN all your ISP will see is your connection to that VPN IP address.

Even if they wanted to do DPI on those packets they'd hit AES-256 encryption. Which i guess if the NSA is after your ass can be broken, but besides that most people wouldn't have the time or resources to bother trying to delve deeper.

i have spectrum and i get 60down and 5up for 65-70 a month. id rather pay that much for google or verizon but both of those are not available here in shitty rochester ny

Right, but then what's the point of my thick, fat pipe if I have to fit all my traffic through a VPN - are their any VPN's that offer 1Gbps throughput?

Yeah but it's cheap. $400/mo rent is pretty sweet.

That's 10Gbps service in Salisbury. And I doubt a place rented for $400 is sweet, but I can respect frugality.

I get 500mbps+ through private internet access.

TorGaurd will sell you a VPN with a 10gbps network stack if you wanna cough up an extra $20/month over their regular $8/month service.

Also depends on your hardware, if you have a nice beefy enterprise class router that can offload the VPN encryption overhead that's the best solution as it doesn't matter what device on your network is going through the VPN since the router is doing the encryption the client device is freed up from that overhead.

tldr, there are many variables involved, but no reason you couldn't get at least most of that 1gbps connection through a VPN.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

If you go through TorGuard they have yearly or 2 year subscriptions.

Also with the code TGlifetime50 it's 50% forever, the coupon is tied to your account.

kek I pay 1/2 that for gigabit fiber

Congrats, now what eurotrash cess pool do you have to live in to get it?

>free
What's your marginal tax rate there, faggot?

Yeah I rent from a friend so it actually is pretty nice. Much better than spending $1000/mo for a similar place in Charlotte.

I'm all set to move (hate urban Charlotte) but now that I got the fiber, it will be tough.

Nowhere else really worth living if you like having a job unfortunately. Charlotte's an awful city.

>and without the Google Network Box of Ass-Fi and lack of $20 router options

What did you mean by this?

Fellow GS-108t user?

I have an HP ProCurve that I used.

Bump

I thought you needed the network box. According to their support pages you do anyway.

I'm not running their pos box on my network.

Can't vouch for VOIP or TV service but regular ol' internet can be had without it.

Needs certain config, though; VLAN 2 for outgoing traffic and QoS priority of 3 to get the 1Gbps

If you had better hardware (pfsense box or similar) would you be able to configure it to work? or is it something about the HP that makes it special?

Should be able to get it to work - the guys that figured it out were working over on the pfsense forum, I believe. This is what I found:

God damn I'm glad Verizon isn't this retarded.

You just plug in any router you want to the ONT. They have the Verizon provided router they want you to use (and rent) but you don't HAVE to use it.

I'm sure it has to do with the botnet. The customer service rep that I spoke with said they do not support it and if I have network issues without a network box they will be unable to troubleshoot. What a load of BS but whatever.

Nope.

This.

$200 a month for 1g. Still better than living in Charlotte though

>120Mbps Upload, 1/8th the Google Fiber Speed for 3x the price
Ew. Charlotte wins.

oh, and 24 month contract and you must lease the router for $10/month. This pos company also wants to sell you a warranty plan to cover your surge protectors!

Don't you love diversity?

In comparison to a more expensive botnet. Good goy

All ISPs are botnets.

Move away from that frigid place.

Kind of jealous of all you fiber people. Paying $85/month here for cable 100/10. Can upgrade to 300/30 for another $20/month, but I'd have to get a new modem too (my old SB6121 has 4 channels, so can't do any more than 172 Mbps).