Give me a reason not to use it

Give me a reason not to use it.

Nobody uses it

phone required. also not open source.

This. Fucking hell. Should I buy a smartphone already? I have an old Nokia and I can't use Telegram or Whatsapp.

I thought telegram had a desktop app.

Only normies use mobile-exclusive chat platforms, anyway.

I'm just looking for something that's secure and trustworthy so I can convince my friends to switch from literal botnet Auschwitz Whatsapp. I'd use Signal, but there's no desktop app for that.

It does, but it needs a phone number to use it.

Y'all doods hmu @zagato

if your Nokia can receive texts (and I'm not sure but calls may work too), you can use Telegram.
The server is proprietary but the clients are open source (shit building process or release cycle though).

botnet

client contains binary blobs i.e. not open source

wire is a great cross-platform im app and is pretty secure. it doesn't require phone number and it's completely open source. however, the prefect option would be going with decentralized messaging, such as xmpp+omemo, if your frienda aren't too dumb to set it up.

>server is proprietary
that's a big flaw by itself
>clients are open source
yeah, but the fact they haven't update their android client repository from july, while play market has 4.3 version for a month already is a huge problem and ruin the whole point of open source, as they free to put any malware in client until they decided to pull it on git.

Gnu/ring

Whatsapp is more secure than Telegram, though.

If you want more features, incl. desktop client and no phone number requirement use Wire.

telegram is pretty good
i use it to communicate with all my furry friends

>Whatsapp is more secure
arguably, it's just encrypted by default.

/thread

Not true. I tried it today on a desktop. I got a text message from them but when trying to log in with the code I got from the text message it said that I don't have an account and in order to create an account I have to login via mobile app.

Yes, WhatsApp is genuinely more secure than Telegram.

Even fucking Nadim Kobessi's Cryptocat is more secure than Telegram.

So what, you thought you'd go from Auschwitz to Gulag?

Try Wire, maybe.

botnet

im not sure paper airplanes are technology

Telegram is great,
you just need a phone to activate it.
After that, you can use it only on PC if you want.
Desktop app (i have the windows version) is really good, way better then whatsapp.
Cloud storage is comfy.
I actually also use it as my music player on my Android phone.

The client is completely open source and you don't actually need a phone. You can fake a phone number with various online services. The client also runs many different platforms.

Are you retards actually feeding your real phone number to websites like Twitter? Fucking nu-Sup Forums must have Down's syndrome.

Because this exists.

>wire
quads of truth

At least it doesn't need the phone to be connected.

But that's simply not true. The official repo from GitHub doesn't have any.

Yes, most of Sup Forums shits about popular software yet they can't actually take the proper precautions for their privacy.
They are ironically the people the NSA knows the most about.

The wire desktop app crashes multiple times. Use keybase instead.

Only reason I use it is because I convinced my circle to use this instead of Whatsapp some time ago (at least for me), it was the only competition back then.

I can't fucking convince them to use yet another one. Wire looks nice, maybe in a few years I'll convince them again.

If by multiple times you mean zero then OK. I've never had a crash, never.

It crashed for me twice in the first 5 minutes after install. It also doesn't support individual @ for other users but only a ping to the whole group.

Better products exist. Wire, Signal, hell, even WhatsApp is better. If you're going for group shit, then IRC.

I've got a really shity laptop, and never had it crash.

I don't understand what you are talking about regarding pinging individual users, as all you have to do is go to their username on your friends list, and ping them.

I mean @'ing someone in a group conversation, which is a feature available on discord, keybase and other platforms.

Use GPG. It's open source.

So start a private message with them...?

Matrix is 1000x better and has a open license. New librem phone will support it as well.

Signal is better and like says: nobody uses it.

Your normie friends would rather hang themselves than use it.

>Facebook botnet
>shitty features
No thanks

ikr, facebook shills

Stores your chat logs on simple unencrypted txt files

Made by the russian creator of Facebook ripoff "Vkonakte"

It was a nice ripoff while he still was around. It outclassed facebook in terms of interface ergonomics for years.

Shit security

useless

You can get an open source version on F-Droid which works perfectly.

librem phone isn't coming out for another two years if it isn't vaporware

I use Telegram because it has functioning desktop clients and doesn't require my phone to be connected like the shitty Signal client. It has some issues if you're super security conscious.

bad encryption

>require phone number

>fake a phone number
How?

Russian botnet

so fire up an emulator, dingus

>I use Telegram because it has functioning desktop clients and doesn't require my phone to be connected like the shitty Signal client. It has some issues if you're super security conscious.
This. Fucking this

I thought telegram used military grade encryption? what happened? Or is that just a meme way of saying "shit"

They have their own encryption algorithm and it's not open source

But can you pet any other instant messenger?

Russian botnet.

Fuck off, Durov.

>How?
>with various online services
can't you read?

Furries use it

nobody uses it