twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It just werks

But I'm using OpenRC

u a good man.

which distro though?

why should I care about it

gentoo linux

good goy

because it's a NSA conspiracy. it touches everything in the system. it's too messy and flawed, and it's a big security no-no

Because its faster, provides better security, and it improves and replaces outdated crap like fstab and openrc runscripts.

It's not a security issue if Lennart closes is it "Won't fix"

a.) I don't find it offensive from first principles
b.) I haven't had any problems of significance with it
c.) I don't find the conspiracy-theory people ()even remotely convincing.

"Lennart is a dickweed" is not enough of a reason for me to switch operating systems.

Because I care not for the drivel of purveyors of FUD or their useful idiots.

Never go full retard.

FreeBSD

Can't wait to try out GuixSD's Shepherd.
>Smaller
>Probably pretty fast
>Not botnet (not that I'm fully convinced that systemd is, but whatever.)
>Made by GNU
>Copyleft

Because I don't use Gentoo or LFS. If a just werks distro comes with systemd I'll use it, if not then I won't. The problem with systemd is that it replaces so many different things. The problem with replacing systemd is that I have to replace all those same things with some other things. That just sounds like work a distro builder could have done instead of me.

But user, this doesn't fit with the Sup Forums CIA Nigger botnet conspiracy narrative. You don't "get" our "memes" bro.

you dont need conspiracies to hate syscuckd

And yet conspiracies are all the systemd haters have. Go figure. Well, conspiracies and "le i le hate le lennart le le xD" reasoning.

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

>muh feelie weelies!
>i feel like this is a government conspiracy!
Okay.

are you mentally retarded?

>entire website that basically boils down to "muh feelie weelies" and "the globbermont is behind this!"
>someone else is the retard, though

no it's just that when people refuse to read anything and begin name-calling, they're usually niggers or retards

How is artix anyways? Manjaro openRC is probably one of the best Linux experiences I've had, so I'm hesitant to go back to a vanilla arch base

See, the thing is that we've ALL read ALL the crap on the website you linked. It's been discussed to death, over and over and over again. By everyone from clueless larpers to people who actually know what they're doing, and all folks in between. That horse has been beaten into a pulp, resurrected on the third day, and beaten into a paste again. It boils down to "this doesn't feel right" and "the government!" and nothing else of any substance or value.

So the problem isn't systemd, the problem is that systems became more complex?

artix succeeds manjaro-openrc and arch-openrc, so might as well hop on board or wait until they got their stuff sorted out.

so far, it's felt like regular arch, but it's still fairly young.

>It boils down to "this doesn't feel right" and "the government!" and nothing else of any substance or value.
except it doesn't

No, it does.

rofl this shit is getting old. go shill somewhere else.

rofl this shit is getting old. go shill somewhere else.

Is that a distro for ants?

There's nothing wrong with it.

using devuan

But I'm not. OpenRC is best init system.

OpenRC does pretty much everything the guy in your pic mentions.

G-guys...I actually like systemD and find the start|enable functions comfy...c-can I still hang out with you guys?

After reading that, fuck systemd. I was already against it but everyone involved in it seems to have contempt for their users in between janitors on anime imageboards and gayme journalists

Going to move to void because it still has that small distro feel.

No. Get

You get pretty much the same functionality with OpenRC. systemctl enable daemon is rc-update add daemon and systemctl start daemon is rc-service daemon start.

because xubuntu is perfect for me and I'm tired of distro hopping

consider devuan with xfce

Huh, interesting, I was thinking about installing Archbang on my laptop the other day, I think that uses openrc, my only concern is that I've heard a lot of things depend on systemd now and that most of the stuff on the archwiki is systemd specific now.

Is it possible for systemd to sneak into a gentoo installation?

"Expect breakage and please do not file bugs. "
- "Instead fix your kernel and enable CONFIG_CGROUPS. "

I don't have the slightest clue what cgroups are but goddamn that's abrasive

void's nice, consider artix linux too.

artix seems like it would be too big to be comfy, just like arch

Not if you make sure to have -systemd in your use flags. If you really want to make sure you can mask the systemd package. There's a page about it on the gentoo wiki, called without systemd or something.

cheers user

>t. totally not the faggot who posted the link replying to himself on his phone

Whos GuixSD here?
Are there ways to install non-free drivers, codecs and subpixel?

Most of the things that now depend on systemd don't actually need systemd to function (policykit for example) but packagers for systemd distros are lazy. Also Gentoo has started the eudev and elogind projects to provide a way to run things that depend on udev and systemd-logind without using systemd. GNOME is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that is hard to get a modern version without systemd. You can run some older versions of GNOME without systemd with elogind but elogind isn't as mature as eudev.

I tried installing it but got some weird boot errors. It seems like a cool idea, but I don't think its quite ready yet. I saw someones config that added non-free drivers using a git overlay or something.

GuixSD is a distro created by GNU. They consider proprietary software to be unethical, so you won’t be able to get closed drivers on Guix. They won’t support it

>but packagers for systemd distros are lazy.
One of the core aims of systemd was to make things easier for distro maintainers. Everything I've heard is that its been very successful at that, see the pic in

You can completely avoid systemd if you use FreeBSD. You might somehow get pulseaudio if you use pkg instead of ports, though.

Sure it makes it easy for distro maintainers, but due to some unnecessary dependencies on systemd it makes it hard to switch to a different init. Also the features in the pic are pretty much all in OpenRC.

>better security
please elaborate
>outdated crap like fstab
what the hell is wrong with fstab?
>openrc runscript
>old
you probably mean sysvinit scripts that are old, openrc is much newer that sysvinit
no, but if if you want to be sure 100% percent than set -systemd flag in make.conf
this shit is old but still true faggot
thats arch's developers fault for that

enjoy you systemdick faggots, i hope you will find something informative in binary logs, ohh and be sure to tell systemd your screen brightness config, ohh and login, network stuff..
if you are using gentoo its pretty simple to install gnome without systemd(latest version available in overlay is 3.24). Anyway gnome 2 rocks for me and will always rock, it has much more power than gnome 3
>deskop icons by default
>cool panels with tons of plugins
>resize icons
>making desktop launchers with custom icons
>making links is so fucking easy
in overall you have so much freedom in gnome 2/mate that gnome 3 can just suck off
even "regular" distros actually dont support proprietary drivers, and guixsd cannot forbid you from installing prop* drivers in any case
i would use freebsd but once they improve their drivers, pulseaudio sucks cock, using linux compatibily layer in freebsd is retarded

>if you are using gentoo its pretty simple to install gnome without systemd(latest version available in overlay is 3.24)
Woops, I didn't realize you could get a more up to date gnome. I use XFCE myself so I hadn't really looked into it.

Yeah, that's kinda expected. Too bad because using Blender with Nouveau is impossible.

hence why several of the big distros shrugged and said "Well, if you want a different init system, you get to do the big pile of work to make it happen". And why Devuan is still based on Jessie, if I remember right.

Honestly the pile of work isn't really that huge and has been done already by Gentoo. Really all you need to do is use an alternative to udev like eudev and have policykit not depend on systemd for no apparent reason.

>depend on systemd for no apparent reason
Seriously, why did devs do this?

its forcing user, in every popular distro if you want to remove pulseaudio it pulls systemd as hard dep, systemd pulls Xorg, why?!?? because they are forcing systemd onto us

PolicyKit is a red hat project, and red hat wants to force everyone to use systemd.

>Why did devs do this?
I’m not really sure (((why)))

nsa can't subvert linux kernel, so the init system is the closest they can get. so they need to promote systemd as far and wide as possible to compromise as many users as possible.

It's easier for them, solves their problems better, only autists like the people ITT object to it, and those people are free to fork the software anyway, so that they can add or remove whatever dependencies on whatever init system they please, if it bothers them so much.

this, forcing, but people dont realise that, i started with linux when ubuntu 12.04 came out, i messed up with init and i was scared like hell from init scripts, then i moved to fedora and they have introduced systemd and it looked much simple to use than sysvinit/upstart, and i avoided those distros at all costs.... so you see what i have done here, just because i had this
systemctl set-default ...
systemctl enable/disable
i didn't like other init scripts, when i moved to gentoo i started to grasp some things very clearly, openrc is pretty much easy to use and init script are not that complicated, here is my nvclock script for fan speed...
#!/sbin/openrc-run

depend() {
need alsasound
}

start() {
ebegin "Setting nvidia card fan speed to 70% RPM."
nvclock -f -F 70 > /dev/null
}

stop() {
ebegin "Stopping nvclock."
nvclock -f -F 60 > /dev/null
return 0
}

it has start, stop, depend.. and you can make your own functions... of course this script is easy and scripts for more complex software are more complex but not comparable to sysvinit ones... anyway, stay awesome anons

>someone else uses Artix on Sup Forums besides me
Good man

>elogind isn't as mature as eudev.
Perhaps not, but the main dev is a good guy. I asked for some extra sd-bus functions to be implemented and he added them in like a day.

I love OpenRC. The scripts make so much sense and they are much more extendable than systemd units because you can actually run shell commands.

I wasn't trying to slam elogind or anything, I love the fact that Gentoo is running projects to allow people to keep using different init systems, it's part of the reason why I use gentoo. Besides they have a hard target, trying to keep up with systemds everychanging nonsense.

Yeah, I don't use Gentoo but thank god for their autism. The world would be a much darker place without them.

I use Parabola GNU/Linux with OpenRC