English

Why do countries like the scandinavian or The Netherlands or Germany have a much higher english fluency rate than other countries like spain or france? Not trying to be a dick, genuinely curious. It's at the point in some of those countries where English is spoken just as well as their native tongue.

The more south you go, the lazier people become and learning a new language takes a lot of effort

They language are basically like english.
Also they are massive cuck and want the anglo dick very much.

Small countries can't rely on their own language, so naturally we have to learn English. We start learning English in 3rd grade in school.

Germans can't speak English either, only the youth, general German of 35-40+ years don't understand a word.

no. france just had 2 centuries of imperial-wannabe policies exterminating multi-ligualism, something thats natural by default for smaller countries and countries with multiple languages

this, look at how hyper productive the scottish are, compared to the english

The whiter you are, the easier it is to learn English.

That makes sense. Thanks for the answer. Btw the pic is of my dad in Hungary 1989. He went there as part of a study abroad program at his university in the US. He's told me what life was like behind the iron curtain. It's shocking.

Its not that good actually

Because we're shit at learning other languages.

It's been proven that when you natively speak multiple languages (as it would be the case with all the regional dialects that were once spoken in France, pic related), you can learn other languages very easily ; but France led a politic to eradicate all these languages and replace them with the parisian dialect, françien, which is current french.

We're surrounded by english media 24/7. You have to be retarded not to pick something up. And if you are retarded english is mandatory in school anyway and studied at a much higher level than any other language. They expect you to be fluent when you graduate high school.

do tell

>there is always someone asking this

Germany isn't a good example, they are not very efficient at english.

nordic countries and the netherlands, learn english at a very early age, then they practice english on a daily basis because the american media they watch is never dubbed but it is subtitled so they are always exposed to english.

In countries like italy, france, spain. We aren't taught english at a very early age and everything is dubbed in our languages so we forgot about our english lessons. that's it.

this. I'd also like to add that Nordic languages and Dutch are very close to English so it is easier for us to learn than say a spanish person. (Finnish isn't, those guys are wizards)

I can understand that, but I'm wondering more 'why' countries like italy, france, and spain don't teach english at an early age? I think someone mentioned because they are core languages that alot of people speak?

> scandinavian or The Netherlands or Germany
germanic native languages, more similar to english, easier to learn
>spain, france
romance languages, less similar to english, harder to learn

They're closer to english and we were friends with them, french and spanish not so much

I speak Hungarian, which is actually very similar to Finnish in grammar and tone/pronouncing the words. I agree, the language is one of the most complicated in the whole fucking world

We start learning english when we're 11 in France, we just don't really pay attention to it. I don't mean to be rude by that but we can live our lives without english so there's no immediate need to learn it.

>romance languages, less similar to english, harder to learn
Not really, the vast majority of english is, if not exactly the same, very similar to french, so it's really easy to learn.

to be honest english isn't very important, I mean it is if you want to have a high quality job in finance or even in science but most people end up with "pleb" jobs, so it isn't something our educationnal system focuses on. I "perfected" my english on my own by watching subtitled movies and series and by browsing english speaking internet forums and sites.

no, that doesn't mean shit, we have tons of dialects but are right there after the dutch and scandies in english proficiency

Anyway, the biggest factors are probably the size and, as it were, strength of a cultural sphere.
In large cultural sphere's it's easier to become enbubbled and consume media, art, forums and so on in only your own language.
There's also the effect of state institutions, that try to influence the cultural sphere in an effort to promote the national language over the lingua france, as in the case of academie française.
And of course, one of the bigger factors used to be dubbing.
But lately, in my opinion, that has been superceeded by the quality of a cultural sphere's internet community, that enables one to consume online media, again, in a bubble.
As an example, take VK as a russian alternative to Facebook.

nevermind, I completely misread your post

It's way to simple for their incredible high intelligence, so they see no reason to waste their time getting better at it.

Seems like it's more *perceived higher intelligence along with arrogance

We aren't fluent in English!
because our movies and tvshows are dubbed.
Nordics and Dutch are small minorities they can't afford to dub every single entertainment export from the USA.

This way they rely on English much more and much earlier on, than Germans. If you rely on it, you are much more likely to put efford into learning it, as early as possible.

Portuguese, Spanish, Itallians, French have an easy access to their groups languages. It 's easy for a Spanish pupil to learn French. latin languages aren't so different.
I don't know if there is a system where pupils can chose in all these countries, but if there is a choice, what do you think are they gonna choose?

We can afford to dub everything becauase we pay the voice actors doing the dubbing slighlůy less than they nee dto put wamt meal on the table every day.

SVO is the latin-languages word order .
Half of the English vocabulary is French.

He brings up a good point, when I was in the 80s there was hardly any dubbing going on,
so I learned English because the best media (games,movies,toons) all came in English.
These days the Dutch dub almost all of the cartoons, so it would not surprise me if in a couple years we'll see a huge drop in English speaking Dutch people.

>when I was in the 80s

*when I was a kid in the 80s

I didn't wrote anything contrary to your post, did I?
I did not meant to reference Czechia.
Are you now not only just Germanic but actually of Nordic masterrace?

Time traveller pls, your secret is out.

I thought the Timetravelling Hipster to be Dutch right when he was revealed.

>Small countries can't rely on their own language, so naturally we have to learn English
I never thought of it like this, but it makes a lot of sense

cuz everything below denmark is fucking trash countries

>English
>Raped version of Norwegian
>Why do skandis learn it so easily?????

It's actually closest to Frisian, which is closer to Dutch and German than Scandinavian languages

English is integrated in everyday life.
English music on the radio, english movies on the tv, english products in the shop, english games etc.
And on top of that since our economy is so reliant on international trade it's a good thing to speak the international language.

1) nordic/germanic languages are closer to english, including pronunciation.
2) people here have a lot of pride in speaking their language + we can usually speak or at least understand pretty much everything in either spanish, french or italian. Also since french, spanish and portuguese are spoken in other countries (which are closely tied to us) lots of people dont really feel the necessity of learning english.
3) only recently has english become the lingua franca at least in portugal. My parents and teachers generation learnt french at school, not english.
4) portugal is a bit of an exception because we dont have dubbed media. Kids here grew up watching cartoons in english (some in spanish). In france , spain and italy pretty much all of their media is either from their country (or in spain's case, from latin america, like music) or dubbed into their respective languages. And so they dont grow up listening to it much and all they have is that 3(?)hour weekly lessons in school.

this

Lol shocking, 14 million people starve to death every year. Hungary was among the most liberal communist countries and had a far higher living standard than most of the world. First worlders go to Eastern Europe and think it is "shockingly poor", lol no, it is just that you are 1 percenters of the world. Most people on this planet live far worse than the pooresr gypsy in 1989 Hungary. My dad lived in 60s communist Czechoslovakia and he got pneumonia as a toddler, he was hospitalized and doctors cured him with antibiotics. At that time, life expectancy in India was 40 years, here 71 years, in the US 72 years.

On topic, Old Norse was mutually intelligible with Old English. So it is like asking "Why do Ukrainians find Russian easy?".