/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Stupid questions thread because the last one is about to 404.

I'll start. I have a gigabyte gtx 1060 6gb and someone wants to trade me for an msi gtx 980 ti (and Ill have to give them an extra $45) because they 'have to have to the newest thing'. Should I do it or nah. I would be pairing it with a 4790k.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-External-STEA2000400/dp/B00TKFEE5S/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1506550543&sr=1-2&keywords=2tb usb 3.0 external hard drive
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Posted in one of these before, but one of these fuckers just popped up again, and I can't figure out what it is.
Managed to copy the "Details" text this time though, so I'll drop that in a reply.

Yes, the 980ti is better, a 980ti OC'd is like a stock 1070. I'd tell the guy who wants to trade some excuse to give him just 20$ or so, but yeah, 45$ is still fine (300$ for a 1060 6GB+45= 345$, a second handed 980ti is around that price, maybe less if you are lucky).

Anyway, here goes my retarded question.

When I open some images in a new tab, these won't load, I'll get a blank page instead. It used to happen to me with imgur, but deleting cookies and other shit fixed it, or almost. Is there any way to fix this without deleting individual cookies? I'm using the latest version of Waterfox.

>so I'll drop that in a reply
You should have done that in your first post....

He's firm on the $45, fucker wanted $100 to start.

1/2

It's a lot of text. Wasn't going to drop a whole wall of bullshit into a post.

I am total noob at tablet. My android is 4.4.4 (KITKAT). Is it good or bad?

Well, probably selling your 1060 off eBay would end with just 250$ or less in your pocket, so getting a 350$ 980ti from eBay would be worst too.

Try and look for other second handed 980ti to compare prices. Also, if you know the guy and you can meet him now, then that's a few days you can save with transitions and shit.

2/2 (Probably could've taken the time to make these roughly equal in size, but idgaf)

980ti is significantly faster, $45 seems fair assuming it's in good condition

I live out in a shit area, nobody locally sells gpus and this one just so happened to pop up on craigslist. The local tech store still thinks people will pay $500 for an rx 580 as well.
I think imma just go for the $45 trade.

Have any of you anons used Hydrus Network? It seems like it could be really useful, but how are you supposed to tag stuff you already have saved? I have over 30,000 pictures so it's not realistically possible to tag them all individually, but the default file viewer isn't really cutting it anymore with this many.

From what I could gather you can upload your stuff to a big repository but I need my shit to stay locally-hosted.

I have a Modi 2 and a O2 with a DT880 250omh. Sometimes, when listening to 24bit music, I'll listen some "cracks", but going back for one second to try to hear that "crack" again, it won't. I store all my music on a 5400rpm WD Blue HDD.

Is there any tweak to fix that?

Looks like some kind of HP update software that's crashing, I'd just uninstall it, or at least disable it from starting on boot.

i got a very important text file overwritten by an "updated" one which turned out to be damaged. since the damaged one had 0 bytes, i guess that nothing was really replaced. is there a way i can recover all the text in it?

So I bought this shitty External Hard Drive: amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-External-STEA2000400/dp/B00TKFEE5S/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1506550543&sr=1-2&keywords=2tb usb 3.0 external hard drive
I want to transfer files from a Macbook to my Windows 10 desktop but anytime I plug it in, it says something along the lines of "device unrecognized" what do I do so this shit can work? Does it have anything to do that its files from a Mac going into a windows PC? It's just regular files like videos, and pictures.

Maybe the format type cannot be recognized by windows, like HFS+.

Does it work fine on the macbook?

What's the exact error message?

A very basic question, Never really bothered with Anti-Virus so what anti-virus is best?,

Will my carrier punish me for using an unlimited data SIM for my laptop, do they even know? X220 with the 3G modem, I'm in the UK on Three if it makes any difference. Will they even realise? Its not tethering. I'm actually using it right now and I'm not noticing any weird throttling nor have I received any warning text messages. I don't even have tethering in my plan. The Lenovo connections application even lets you tether to other devices if you have tethering in your plan and it seems smart enough not to allow it.

Am I in the clear? I'm just testing this out using my actual main phone's SIM. I'm going to be moving around a lot soon and I won't always have wifi so I'm seeing if this is feasible.

Does the contract specifically say you're not allowed to use it on a laptop/only on a phone?

it might be a format issue
it works as it should on a mac, but when i plug it to my PC it says
>USB device not recognized
>The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.

Whats the best way to protect myself from my chinese cartoon HDD which is packed to the brim (5TB with usually 1-10GB free) failing? I guess a raid, but I cant even set that up without without formating the initial drive, can I?

i'd say Kaspersky. unless you want a free one, then Avast

That's a USB issue, not a format issue, try a different port

>to protect myself from my chinese cartoon HDD

Best way is a proper independent backup, RAID doesn't help you against things like accidental deletion/malware/filesystem corruption.

Why do people on GitHub try to be so obtuse?
I'm looking at one program and it just says 'to run it'. I don't know what OS I need (I'm on OSX).

Then I download the files and they are .R??

My stupid question:
What do you call that plastic thing that clips onto 2011 CPUs and you plug the whole thing into the socket?

>Then I download the files and they are .R??
That will be an R file. You run it with R.

So, since you're on OSX, go to your software centre and install R.

I was relaying this shit from a friend and it turns out you were right.
I told him multiple times to plug it in to all your ports...
Thanks user.

Can I make a search shortcut without using the Windows "save search" option that appears when searching? I don't like the way it behaves since it's a physical file with its own path, not a literal shortcut to the search. It's a nitpicking issue but wondering if it's possible, thanks.

if it's only text then you can easily recover it using DMDE

best mail app for android?
need notifications and being able to add outlook and gmail accounts

What is the proper way to manually download Windows 10 updates from the Microsoft search catalog? Every time i try, even if I have the right version, I get an error. I just wanna cherrypick the security updates, and I don't want any of the telemetry. I know you're thinking "hurr then why do you use win 10"? I know, it's a garbage OS, but I don't have many other options. For some reason Windows 7 and 8 just won't cooperate on this computer, so until I can figure out what, I'm trying a workaround.

you're a fucking lifesaver! many thanks!

Any good websites for learning how to use excel? I have a free voucher for one of those Microsoft excel certifications through college, but the lab center is like an hour and a half away from my house. Also is that certification even worth it?

how to save Sup Forums threads?
when I right click the page and do a "save as" the quoting gets all fucked up

I am deciding between an xeon x5680 and a x5690. Upgrading from a x5650. Should I go all the way and spend the extra $40 for the x5690 over the x5680? This will be for gayming, it has an rx 580 as the gpu.

screenshot

So I downloaded an IDE. How do I learn to code from here

I just got a new laptop and it came with win 10 home, is it okay if I just format it and install the LTSB? Will it fuck any specific drivers that came pre-installed or will I be fine with just getting the ones from the support page of the manufacturer?

how tf im gon click a quote link on a screenshot??
u need to think before u speak to me my g
i need real answers, no trolling yall this is important

Those plastic pegs?

Youll be fine, nigger

Windows 10 is Windows 10 regardless of the edition so the drivers will work across the two.

what's a good router under 150 dollars?

alright then

My sqt. Does netflix use the same protocols / ports that torrents use? If no what do they use?

For what?
Otherwise everyone will recommend you the classic WRT54GL for something cheap that werks.

Yah, you're friend is a dumbass.

Im sure many here have dealt with the system_server process using cpu all the time on Android in pretty much all versions. How the fuck do you solve it? I tried reflashing and factory reset without luck. Alternatively is there a way to force the phone to remain sleeping if I have root? Being a system process I imagine it's not easy to do.

Why? They're exactly the same after overclocking.

I have a dell t7500, everything is locked on these things. I want a new system but id rather mess with what I already have.

Get at least 2 new drives, one for long term backup, the other to replace your current drive or set up raid. Clone onto the long term, set up raid/replace old drive. Update long term back up every now and then.

The only better solution is an encrypted offsite backup, but it's not worth doing that unless you at least have like a Gbit connection.

No, it's a square plastic thing (with a hole in the middle) that the CPU goes into, then you plug it into the retainer clip on the MB and fold it down, then lock the clamp arms.

I can pick up a used 770 off eBay for 75$ and pair it with mine for 770 sli, is it worth it?

SLI is never worth it and usually counterproductive for games.

Depends what you plan on playing. Do research on the game you're looking at and if it even supports sli, I'd say its worth it if the game can even use it...

Get some practice, start by performing math operations the using loops and logic and so on..... Lookup project Euler, there are a bunch of free exercises there for every level

Not worth the $50-$100 USD. Get a newer mobo & cpu.

If you're budget it $100 then just get a new LGA 1366 mobo with overclocking to get higher performance out of your X5650.

I think I'm done with games for now.
unless I hit a low and I redownload some I'm gonna try staying clean.

I may need it for solidworks rendering, it's mostly personal use but if I can shorten a render from 12 hours to 8 that's also a huge improvement for me.

Last time i checked Solidworks doesn't support SLI.

Whats a good browser nowadays?
Firefox updated recently and holy shit it only gets worse. This bastard sucks up more memory than most games.

I'd have to get a lot of extra parts if I went ahead and got a new motherboard. I think Ill just get the x5680.

Yeah just regoogled and it has zero support

At 1080p maybe. SLI is really uncommon these days but if a game supports it, no complaints. Try haggling down $5-$10. Is it AIB? Is it clean? Can you pick it up? Price to performance it's comparable to a 1050Ti which retails for $150 even though it's barely better than a $100 1050.

GPU shows 0mhz on clock and ram clock. Won't do display out. What should I do to try and fix it? Its a r9 390.

What extra parts? Just get another LGA 1366 board and it will be compatible with everything else?

Install Drivers.
Use GPU-Z.

Is the core 2 quad q9400 good enough to handle eSport titles with like a gtx 1050? I was given one for free with and want to play games like csgo and overwatch. Max settings means nothing to me, I'm fine with medium.

Yeah I have a 144hz 1080p monitor.

Btw it's funny you ask if I can pick it up because I just checked and we're in the same state TEXAS!!?!?! I'm 5 hours away from him.

The gas back and forth would cost me more than the GPU

I think the t7500 uses some sort of server ram and the heatsink is apparently not traditional. I don't know specifics when it comes to this, sorry.

Gpuz says 0mhz. I already have the and drivers for my 7970, how can I check if the r9 390 has drivers? I need the 7970 for video out

You are using 2 different GPUs in the same board?
Crimson software in one?

Screenshot you fucking retard

Get a GTX 1050Ti and you can max them unless you hit a CPU bottleneck.

>have to have the newest thing
Why doesn't he buy a Vega then?

are you asking me to screenshot the quote links?
they're fucked up because clicking or hovering over them does nothing.

Once i root my android phone, can i go back again and install android again ?
Do ppl nowadays still root ?
>p10 lite

IPC is similar to Nehalem. See So even though it's at 2.66 GHz, it's comparable to like a new 1.65 GHz quadcore. Your phone probably outperforms it, but...

Overwatch Minimum Requirements

CPU: Intel Core i3 or AMD Phenom X3 8650
CPU SPEED: Info
RAM: 4 GB
VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460, ATI Radeon HD 4850, or Intel HD Graphics 4400
FREE DISK SPACE: 30 GB

Recommended Requirements

CPU: Intel Core i5 or AMD Phenom II X3, 2.8 GHz
CPU SPEED: Info
RAM: 6 GB
VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 or ATI Radeon HD 7950
FREE DISK SPACE: 30 GB

So yeah, it's above the recommended CPU requirements.

Not worth the extra $50. Get an SSD instead for the same price.

This is horse shit tho. I had a phenom 955 overclocked to 4 ghz and it was 100% usage on overwatch and dropped to 50 fps on gunfights. hows 3 core phenom at below 3ghz recommended?

>$50
What, its $20 tops.

What do you think root means?

I happen to have acquired a used Nokia E52, which does not turn on, no lights, nothing. All it does is vibrates when I press the power button. No obvious signs of mechanical or water damage. Battery seems fine, 3.4V tells my multimeter.

What is likely to have died here? The screen or something else?
I assume if it were the screen, the phone would at least play the welcome tune and the keyboard LEDs would go on, right? Kinda most feature-phones do that when you turn them on.

Thanks.

So why is GitHub so obtuse?

So I don't know shit about routers/networking/home networking/etc and I need a dual-band router for under $100, what should I get?

That and people always recommend putting openwrt or something alike on it, but doesn't that void warranties? I know it sounds stupid, but routers suddenly shitting out is the second biggest issue I've had with computer hardware as a whole and knowing there's a warranty is nice. The only thing I found in the price range that allows for that is the netgear WNR3500Lv2, but that's not dual-band. So any routers that allow openwrt without voiding warranties or ones with built-in firmware good enough to get up and going again?
I just need something reliable and robust since my roommates like to torrent and stream a LOT of shit.

Will employers think less of me for using bootstrap?

Part of a plant?

Not but I also am interested in a new router.

I live in a house with 6 people using several devices simultaneously and occasionally there will be up to 5 people gaming at the same time.

What do you recommend for under $300?

Also how important is my modem?

Mfw found brand new samsung ssd's in thrift shop brand new
>3x500, 5x250gigs
>pick one 500gb box
>look at the backside
>10€
>Hory shit.tiff
>Grab them all, walk to cashier
>looks at me suspiciously...
>obviously doesn't know wtf ssd's are
>i start a little covo
>"Ha, never tought that these nostalgic pieces would still appear somewhere "
>asks immediately what it is
>"old disk like stuff which do not work with todays pc's of course...but im a little tech freak you know..haha"
>"Oh" she says " in that case 30€ for them all together is ok
>i act as if im felt embarrased....
>well ok if you say so...thank you alot
>offers me a used plastic bag
>fuck yo bag bitch.gif
>Oh nah thxx...i got my backbag
>Leave store, go home, replace old seagate
>sell few to people
>happy as fuck

Oooohh
>R o o t
>o
>o
>t

>So why is GitHub so obtuse?
More like somebody didn't think it was worth mentioning since the code is probably stats or math related and anyone who knows about that shit knows what R is.

Linksys AC1900 or ASUS RT-N66U.

And one or two range extenders since it sounds like a big house.

How do phases work for motherboard VRMs? I know why you'd want more phases for AC power, but isn't everything on the motherboard DC?

>i start a little covo
okay I don't know how much exactly illiterate the salesperson was, but unless he/she were in his/her nineties or legit retarded, I would just pay the 10$/piece without a single word and leave instead of having any convo which might lead to him/her or a coworker coming closer to realising the actual value of those

Why do people favour standard deviation over variation?

So I've made an addon for firefox and it uses context menu. The docs say android doesn't support context menu but my addon has a few users on android anyways. Do these people get anything out of it or not? What can I do for these people?

less new things to learn