Oh, Brits...is there...something you've been meaning to ask us?

Oh, Brits...is there...something you've been meaning to ask us?

You've been acting rather...tsundere lately

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/uk/2001/apr/14/johnezard
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>people expressing interest in moving to countries with similar language & culture for business or personal reasons
really makes you think

>similar culture
Yea not really. Don't get me wrong, I fucking love the States, but on my visits there I actually feel a sense of *gulp* European identity.

>Yea not really
i mean if you can turn on a television and at least vaguely comprehend what you're looking at, that counts for something

But the sense of ""humour"" and adverts for anti-depressants literally every 5 minutes will blow your mind. lol.

Speaking a mutual language is awesome though. I have some friends living in Cali and NYC and they fucking love it. Not bashing the States at all just saying there is quite a bit of a cultural difference.

Never really realized there were any meaningful differences between North American and UK cultures until I found myself on an ESL teacher training course where I was the only North American among dozens of Brits.
What is your collective problem with confrontation? Seriously if there was ever a situation where someone or something needed to be called out, be it receiving the wrong order at a restaurant or cooling off some dumbass who had too much to drink, it fell on me to use my North American ways to resolve the problem directly. I even got snide comments like "I thought Canadians were supposed to be polite, you seem like an American". Is that whats considered polite in the UK? Sitting back and taking it up the ass because you're too 'posh' to be confrontational?

Yes, that's exactly what it is.

Why are there people searching for "how to move to America" while they're in the freaking America?

maybe you were just with a bunch of pushovers

i mean i'm certain that in leafland there's at least one really really angry impolite guy

illegals trying to figure out how to stay

How come only brits and burgers are googling it though? I thought we were the chad of all countries

I was with a bunch of upper middle class white Brits aged 20-26. Not a single one of them were at all comfortable with direct conversations, a staple of North American culture. Even my lifting buddy during the program who was going to sign up with the Royal Marines after his 'gap year' was a massive pussy when it came to things like correcting a mistaken order at a restaurant. Bizarre.

Can you give an example?

I've lived in the UK for a couple of years, and I found the Bongs to be insufferable overall.

>ESL training course
Yep, no doubt. If anything I've found yanks to be more snide/two-faced, but we definitely do have a tendency to skirt around being directly confrontational..

I mean americas good, but why wouldnt you move to the first world anglo country right next door? best of both worlds
bonus: they love the queen too

the search results are in English, if you looked up the Spanish variant it would lean towards central/south America

I'd get in a taxi with a bunch of them and the driver would be "funny" with the meter and I'd be the only one with the balls to call him out on trying to scam us. Or we'd receive the wrong dish at a restaurant and I'd be the only one with the ability to ask to have it sent back. Tourist touts would harass us and they would just freeze up until I told the tout to fuck off in the local lingo. I'm considered a beta in Canada but fuck me sideways they have a bizarre culture in the UK with regards to confrontation.

maybe they didn't want to cause a scene when out for a nice meal with company. maybe they just accepted that a mistake was made and ate delicious food anyway? maybe they wanted to bond over hatred of a common enemy as a team-building exercise. who knows.

maybe you just bring bad luck wherever you go. have you angered any shamans lately

>I was with a bunch of upper middle class white Brits

There you go then.

It sounds like all of your situations experiencing this involves food orders, which is actually something I hear a lot. It's because of the massive difference of culture in our service industry. North Americans expect a completely different treatment from the people that serve them because they're dependent on the customers' tips, and as such they bend over backwards to please you. That's not the case here, and most people would rather just accept what they're given because they don't want to look a twat in front of everyone else in the place. Seems odd but it's just food, most of us don't care if we asked for something and got something slightly different.

not kicking up a fuss and being understated is very british
theguardian.com/uk/2001/apr/14/johnezard

They probably are Googling it in their native language. I know people who have been here for decades and speak perfectly fine English but default to Google in their own language for basic things.

>they didn't want to cause a scene when out for a nice meal
See this is exactly what I don't understand. At a restaurant you're paying for both a service and a product. If the 'product' you paid for is not what you receive it is the service's responsibility to respond. Politely notifying the service of their error is standard operating procedure in most of the world. I guess brits just like to take it as it comes.

>ESL teacher training course
>Upper-middle class Brits

Yeah, absolutely not. Only rejects do that stuff

The "brits are polite" thing isn't a meme, it's really important here. Theres a lot of pressure not to make a scene, no matter what's going on

>upper middle class
there you go

Sure were a lot of literal Oxbridge "rejects" if that's the case. Pretty sure everyone was there to have an excuse to fuck off in Thailand for a year or two.

To be fair though, Greeks just love the sound of their own voice, hate listening, and have a penchant for talking whatever nonsense suits their agenda.

The Brits on the other hand have a low tolerance for bullshit. So it was never going to work.

t. unbiased non-brit

>Oxbridge grads doing ESL

Give me a fucking break pal

You sound like a total pain in the ass.

Brits are conniving cunts.
They might act polite, but they'll shit on you the minute you turn your back on them.
They are a very repressed and unhappy people, living in a shitty (weather-wise) country.

I just grew up middle class in big North American city and learned young that if I don't assert my rights other people will trample them without a second thought. Canadians being overly polite is a meme. Culturally Anglo-Canada is American, I'll admit that. Don't tread on me.

>"funny" with the meter and I'd be the only one with the balls to call him out on trying to scam us
the other things i get but maybe you were just with some muppets. mind expanding on this?

>DON'T TREAD ON ME

You would not believe the number of silver spoon faggots "chilling out" in South East Asia. I took a diving course and the instructor was a German guy from Freiburg with a PhD in Microbiology. Plenty of Oxbridge and Ivy League twats hanging out on daddy's dollar. The memes are real.

>If the 'product' you paid for is not what you receive it is the service's responsibility to respond.
getting all spittle-flecked at the underpaid, overworked food service staff because they brought curly fries instead of the straight fries is a bad thing to do. ok maybe you're strictly in the right, but raising a scene and over-reacting is likely to spoil everyone's evening and make you look like a big over-reacting clod in the process.

note: this does not apply to trouser food or issues that would obvously warrant a 'come on now' reaction. thanks

wtf i hate greece now

>living in a shitty (weather-wise) country.

Literally nothing wrong with it, much of the country is lush, green and beautiful.

i wish i could live in britain, first reason being far fewer ads during sports

>Theres a lot of pressure not to make a scene

sums up everything itt

Never piss off anybody who handles your food.

t.Canuck on vacation.

Probably started the meter on a couple of quid, which is done based on the time of night it is and how many passengers there are

don't you know that other people of world google in different langugage?

Its like you can even imagine politely and tactfully pointing out an error on the part of a paid service. I really find this weird.

Euros in general I have found to be non-confrontational.
If you fuck up their order they will just deal with it, instead of saying "Excuse me, sorry to bother you, but my order was mistaken"
For some reason they seem to think they will offend someone simply by implying that they were wrong.

Or maybe Brits just can't take criticism so they learned to not dish it out.

I had dinner with an american girl (in America) who didn't want salad dressing on her plate but was too shy to ask. I had to ask for her.

Ayyy.

>I don't think Google works with other languages.
>t. Burger Bear meme

Cute. She's too good for this continent, too pure. This culture has a higher chance of making boys into men but it also has a tendency to make girls into men as well.

uhh... what did they mean by this?

there's nothing wrong with politely and tactfully pointing out errors on the part of paid service; but if the effort & inconvenience of pointing out & correcting the error is greater than the effort & inconvenience of dealing with the error, who cares? curly fries, straight fries, it all comes out the same in the end

in fact i think it's weirder that people are asking google literal, fully-formed questions like 'are penguins found at the south pole or the north pole' or 'how to move to [country]'

maybe it's a generational 'the computer feeds me knowledge now' thing? i'd just mash a few keywords like 'penguins habitat pole' and scan the results

>This culture has a higher chance of making boys into men
lol OK then if you think so.

Have you ever been outside Europe?

Cos I have and let me tell you, I knew what it meant to be European then. I went to Asia.

I met lots of Americans. A Peruvian. They were all insufferable. Asians themselves model their countries on America for some reason. Korea is just USA 2.0. I also met some Brits, a Belgian guy, French guy, German guy, Norwegian girl. We just clicked instantly. There's just a shared European culture we take for granted that you don't notice until you hang around non-Europeans.

American college students are like literal children. They dress in tank tops, baseball caps, cargo shorts, and flipflops. One dude went clubbing dressed like that. They eat shit food, they ate at a Korean McDonalds more times than I cared to mention. They act like teenagers when confronted with alcohol and start playing stupid games like beerpong.

One day I was out with the Belgian dude and the Peruvian dude. The Peruvian dude was a fatass. He was "hungry" in late afternoon early evening. We suggested stopping for food on the way back since it was almost dinner time, but no he wanted to grab potato chips from a store on the way home. He flat out refused to eat proper food so we gave up and he went off to stuff his face with potato crisps while me and the Belgian dude ate rice and chicken + shit at a little hole in the wall place.

I laughed with the Belgian dude about it, and he told me how earlier the Peruvian dude was telling him how he was trying to lose weight but always snacked all day and sometimes substituted entire proper meals for snacks and junk. He also took junk food to bed with him because he got "hungry". When the Belge said "dude that's unhealthy, don't do that" he replied "but I can't not eat when I'm hungry" and made up some bullshit excuse.

A bunch of tiny stuff like that that all adds up together, though the approach to drinking and food is definitely the biggest.

Tbh I'm inclined to agree.

It's more similar than different imo. Go to China or India If you want a true culture shock

>Canadians being overly polite is a meme.
I agree you're more like us than a lot of people on both sides will admit. However, I think where in our respective countries one is from makes a big difference. I'm from New England and we're sometimes viewed as cold because we won't be falsely polite like Southerners and tend to mind our own business. Having said that none of us would ignore a completely wrong order or let a cabbie rip us off.

Na. Being in the sticks, or being in a ghetto toughens you up wherever you up. But culturally they are just as, if not more pussified, than us.

The edges on this Canadian are extremely sharp.

>Plenty of Oxbridge and Ivy League twats hanging out on daddy's dollar.
Can confirm for the Ivy Leaguers. They find themselves by living the highlife subsidized by mommy and daddy because they want to be an artist or some other such shit that would never afford them said lifestyle.
t.Guy whose sister went to an Ivy League school with said people.

i don't think it's good to be 'my country eeeh eeeh your country doo doo doo' desu.

Yes I can believe that just fine, but they're not doing ESL in order to go there.

This is actually completely untrue but you're welcome to believe there are meaningful differences between American and Canadian culture with regards to social etiquette.

I know there is 0 difference between the two.
I was just stating that your "this culture creates men" thing is complete bollocks. Physical toughness is completely separate to whatever perception you have on how we conduct ourselves socially.. FWIW I find Americans abrasive, and yet at the same time much more snide than their British counterparts.

A lot of other posters have agreed with your observation about us being less confrontational (as did I) but to equate manners with toughness is retarded, as is judging an entire nation from a group of fucking EFL teachers.

Its not about being tough its about being able to assert yourself and get what you deserve. If you can't prevent yourself from being ripped off you're not a man. Nobody in NA considers being confrontational as "tough" its just considered normal. "Tough guys" are stereotyped here as the kind of men who seek conflict rather than trying to solve conflict via direct confrontation. And course I'm not judging a nation based on the select group of cunts I worked with in Asia. I've been to the UK and Ireland and seen it all first hand.

1) the results are english
2) its ridiculously hard for irish people to move to america thanks to sean lemass trying to avoid brain drain (theres more illegals than anything)
3) aussies and kiwis dont really move to america