"HP and Dell shit go make your own thread" Edition

"HP and Dell shit go make your own thread" Edition

Previous thread:
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X, and W SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended old models:
X200, W500

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768x1366, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900x1600, easy to obtain, ideal size, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable after Coreboot flash
T520 - 15", 1080p, Quadcore-CPUs
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM possible, USB 3.0

Last good models:
X230 - 12", USB 3.0, IPS option avaiable, classic keyboard installable
T440p - 14", last ThinkPad to have replacable CPUs, 1080p IPS displays avaiable
----
Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard), great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support
----
Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads and running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

ThinkPad wallpaper collection:
imgur.com/a/NlepZ

ThinkPad BIOS splash screen collection:
biosimage.booru.org/index.php

first for ULV a shit

>last good models
>no T430

Put the fucking /tpg/ in the subject or anywhere.
If I filter this shit that means I won't make any useful comment.

Put the fucking /tpg/ in the comment or anywhere.

>Whitelisted batteries

Fuck off reddit

12 hours of shitposting on 1 charge.
Are (You) sure?

EU brothers, I'm looking for a W5X0, but I can't, for the life of me, find a cheap one. I had this perfect W530, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, sold for £300. The cunt wouldn't send outside the UK. Any tips? I usually use ebay.

Put the fucking /tpg/ in the name or anywhere.

What is the best thinkpad for gaming again?

thinkpads are for productive people. If you use your for any other reason than work than you are a failure, or a faggot pretender(worse than apple users)

My W520 sometimes goes into a coma when I put it to sleep. Opening it up causes the hard drive to spin up a bit and act as if it's going to wake, but results in a blank display and a slowly pulsing power button. The sleep symbol on the back is gone, but it seems to not accept any further output until I forcibly restart it by holding the power button. Is this some S3 RAM meme or am I missing something?

Wait, so you actually fail for the thinkpad shills?
kek

hahaha

so funny

include me in the screencap reddit

dx

thinking of buying a T430 with an i7 3520M, 2.9 GHz mainly for programming and other school related stuff
that cpu should handle 1080p video fine right?

Again with this
my t530 worked with a chink battery out of the box.
What is this based on? You idiots made me think I had to go through a whole process of modding my bios. Good thing I tried it out first.

A mini itx with an AMD APU

Wow, you guys are seriously tech illiterate.
No need for an i7 for programming or watching movies

You're really gonna lug around a thinkpad in school?
Out of my whole class this one pajeet kid has one and not only is he autistic looking as fuck, theres always like 3 seats free next to him.
I walked in late once and had to sit next to him, caught him on fanfiction.net in class. I swear to allah im not making this shit up.
Just get a macbook air like everyone else user.
I own all of these and I'm typing on my air right now.

Yeah, the i5-3360M in mine can handle 1080p 60fps no problem. You'll be fine.

what the hell are you buying these for then?

I am a horder. I try to compensate for the lack of love by buying useless shit I don't need

dvd drive powered off and when i try to right click > power on, nothing happens. how can i fix this?

install adobe reader

>Just get a macbook air like everyone else
What cuck field are you in that the standard laptop is a literal toy? I'm in STEM (engineering school) and the standard is X220t, X230t, Yoga 700 series and the P40 Yoga.

???

I like thinkpads. The t530 is my "gaming" (all I do is shumps, emulation and outrun 2006) rig while my t500 is my desktop.
The rest I have because I like them.
I just don't use them in public because I recognize that not only are thinkpads ugly to normies, they make you stand out in a bad way.
I have a fileserver at home, gentoo on my main desktop and I havent touched a windows machine in over a decade. A mac lets me do all my unix shit without making me look like a total autist. the nice screen and excellent battery life are just bonuses.

Of course, all the autists here will start chimping out about muh trackpoint and muh build quality and muh roll cage.

Wanna know a secret? When I use a thinkpad I start missing my macs trackpad.

Oh. I see... I kinda do the same...

>being this new

just started computer science and I can't afford a mac I just need something cheap and I can get a T430 for under 150 dolleridoos

>not google ultron
pleb

ultron is a virus, you should have switched back to internet explorer

Medical school

>being this much of a useless shit
why are you even here?

Are you dorming? bring your desktop.
You dont need a laptop when all you're taking are minority studies and intro calc

because op didn't put /tpg/ anywhere, and I am trowing a tantrum with my 15 replies, making the thread toxic so next time that faggot will do it

I keep posting here about it but is the hd+ screen update worth it for the t420? I've been on the fence about it since I bought it because that'd mean I put enough upgrades into the computer that it is the same price as I bought it. I don't use it much since I use the x220 around the house so I'm probably answering my own question here.

there is a huge fucking image with white /tpg/ in the middle of it, you blind piece of trash

yeah, but automatic filter can't see it faglord

I make it seem as if I'm retarded when I phrase it like that, I mean I'd put in enough upgrades into the laptop that the upgrades alone would cost the price of the laptop when I bought it.

Deal with it without throwing a childish tantrum and then I'll put it in the topic. If you can't stand to see a thread without shitting in it for some arbitrary reason, perhaps is more your speed.

A new screen is like $50, the HD+ cable $15 and then you can resell the current 1366x768 on craigslist or something because fucking everything still uses 1366x768

good luck finding the exact models on pic related though

bump this

Oh, thank you my lord for your kindness that you will consider to put it in the topic. You are truly generous my lord.
what a faggot, kys

u2 child

>eject DVD drive
>reinsert DVD drive
Is there a thinkpad where you can't do this easily? T420 here.

wrumm wrumm

lmao at thinkfags, you need to fuck around with a dvd drive just to power off your devices.
It is truly the pineapple of technology

There are actual idiots here they buy x2shits instead of X1 carbons with FHD IPS and GLASS FUCKING TRACKPADS because of Sup Forums memes.

half of the comments are mine. No wonder you fags want more people to reply in your shitty containment general

Read the entire conversation again, retard.

8470p master race reporting in

>windows 7

it's not picture of mine, I'm rocking Xubuntu 17.04

The screen I have has a blemish that'd probably reduce the price a little, but I imagine I could still get about 30 dollars for it, but even then I'm cheap enough that I don't know if the upgrade is worth it.

If I buy a complete panel with cable will it just work with the t420 without the hd+ cable?

>no msata
>retarded caddy design
>stupid heavy
>abysmal key layout
>shitty cooling
>bottom panel will pop off at the slightest bump.
>>>out
you somehow posted the only laptop worse than the t420

Nice, good taste.
Ubuntu mate here

>thinkfags are so poor they'll go through the hassle of selling something on ebay for a measly 30 bucks
ok, this is getting sad now

>ubungo anything
>good taste

What else would I do with it? Offsetting the cost of buying a jew screen by selling the old one only makes sense

you somehow managed to go full retard.
never go full retard

Took and modified this pic today.
Hope you like it

you forgot the anime girl baka

>no red dot on the i

>>no msata
I'll give you that one
>>retarded caddy design
Elaborate? seems to be good enough
>>stupid heavy
Feels sturdier, it *is* a ton heavier than most computers with a 9-Cell bringing 'er up to around 8lbs
>>abysmal key layout
? It's fine for most people
>>shitty cooling
Agreed
>>bottom panel will pop off at the slightest bump.
This is wrong, I've never had the panel pop off in an undesired situation because it has a latch. Stop spreading FUD.
>>>>out
no u elitist
t. Owner of a disheveled 8460p

What's a good screen upgrade for a t430 and how simple is it?

the little plastic latch is worthless. It'll wear out very fast.
The caddy is easy to and overdesigned. expensive too.
all you need is a tray and 2 rubber bits but they had to go full retard with the design.
>there are retards who defend 8lbs laptops
literally just get a desktop at that point.
The layout isn't fine for anyone.
It's shifted over for no reason and it's way too easy to miss backspace and enter.
fuck off

how much / where can i get a broken T530 or thinkpad in general? I don't feel super comfy doing a full tear down and would rather practice on something that's broken so i know the protocols and where wires go

also speaker replacement?

ebay/craigslist/your local repair shop?

what if i don't want to pay money?

Any experience with audio issues with the X220? On Debian and I've installed alsa and pulseaudio, still no sound.

Help ;-;

Ihave T500 with arch installed. Can anyone guide me to finding out why my battery last only 30 minutes? I have tlp installed too.

Nevermind, got it working.
Now just need helping mapping the mute button and volume keys accordingly

if you're willing to pay with services, idk senpai

Might be old, you should check the battery life. I don't know how to do that in linux though. Also, try powertop.

Is the cooling really that bad compared to thinkpads?

Can someone break down the t440 vs the t440p? Disadvantages and advantages of each. Whether I should buy and what price I should look for.

I don't know where colling meme is coming from, I own 8470p and I don't have problems with cooling

Get the i5 to save on battery life

Hi guys
I heard that on newer Thinkpads Fn is automatically on so in order to press F1 you need to press Fn+F1, is this true and if so, can this behavior be disabled?

Bump

that's called "always on function keys" and yes you can change that functionality in almost all laptops, either through the BIOS or simply holding the function key for a few seconds or through some software the manufacturer installed

What's the ideal price for a x220t/x230t?

The price seems to be roughly about £200-£250 on ebay, Is it worth waiting for a better deal?

$40.89 USD.
i5, 4GB, 1440x900 resolution.
How'd I do /g?

Should I get a Dell Latitude E6430 or should I get an equivalent model? If so, tell me which one. I also want mine to have a Windows 7 COA so I can use Windows 7 (I don't want 8, 8.1 or 10).

Also, is the i7-3720QM good?

What does the weight of the T430 feel like? I read it's around 6 lbs and that seems tollerable in a backpack but has someone here actually lugged one around to see what it feels like? I need it for school

>tfw see a great deal on a thinkpad but cant buy because your in debt

Bumping again...

Give it to me straight guys, how much is one of the 1080p panels going to kill my t440p's battery?

>>tfw see a great deal on a thinkpad but cant buy because your in debt
>>your in debt
>>cant buy
>>your
>>cant

Asked this in a previous thread but does replacing the harddrive with an ssd really have a big impact on low idle temps? Using an x220 for reference

Just purchased a T440p.

i5 @ 2.6
8gb ram
128gb ssd

Yay/nay? Picked it up for $269.00, Refurbed.

(checked)
yay if you replace the trackpad

So I've got an X200T and I'm realizing that it's decently thin and portable. I really like it and feel like it's good for my needs. I also have the dock for it. How weird would it be to carry around my thinkpad WITH the dock attached? Is there any practical reason to do so?

If i buy a T440p at 250$ usd how much do i need if i want to

>Replace the trackpad KB
>1080p ips screen
>i7 4800qm

I have a P50 with a Xenon and it's amazing.

just wanted to say that

Man that shit would be awesome if you actually, i don´t know work on movie making on schedule or something, but you know... we are on Sup Forums and if you tell me you are making a movie with Spilbergo i´ll believe you.

I do a lot of VM work and need ECC