/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Handy overview of available parts (outdated prices / builds)
logicalincrements.com/
>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & currency for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, try to include information like response time, refresh rate, resolution, and size

CPUs:
>No i5s unless 50% discount; new i3s will be old i5 eqivalents
>G4560 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPU
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Check your Mobo's QVL before buying RAM or look for user reports
>Ryzen CPUs benefit a lot from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal

GPUs:
Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon), so using an old GPU or waiting to build may be a good idea right now.
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced gfx cards for 1080p; 6GB 1060 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 / 1080 - 1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 4K

General:
>If your build isn't completely Poverty-tier, consider an 240GB or larger SSD.
>If your build needs Wifi, you will need a Wireless Network Adapter, either 2.4 or 5GHz

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

asus.com/Motherboard-Accessory/HYPER-M-2-X16-CARD/
9to5toys.com/2017/09/24/lg-29-inch-ultrawide-monitor-29um60-p/
inet.se/produkt/1901045/asus-rog-strix-b350-i-gaming
amazon.com/FreeSync-1920x1080-Samsung-Professional-Monitor/dp/B072K3Z5NC/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1500993415&sr=8-1&keywords=pixio px245c&linkCode=sl1&tag=jokerprodu03-20&linkId=a84b9c9014cccccf3f7e55c410213958
youtu.be/pTaKNiq8LhI
youtube.com/watch?v=yyw7coOhN78
cnet.com/products/gateway-gt5628-core-2-quad-q6600-2-4-ghz-3-gb-500-gb/specs/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I want a 1070, but there are so many versions I have no idea which to choose. There are so many brands, prices, ect. Should I just sort by highest rating and hope for the best or are there companies I should look for/avoid?

Just buy the most expensive one it means it's better.

Hold up, Mr. Merchant.

Get the cheapest EVGA/Gigabyte/Asos one you can find that has an aftermarket cooler on it (meaning it has two or more fans on it).

asus.com/Motherboard-Accessory/HYPER-M-2-X16-CARD/

Would running this on an x8 lane for 2 960 pros in raid 0 on a R6E give me more, less, or equal performance compared to the included DIMM.2 module?

Buy whatever model has the best cooling and best warranty (in that order). Given pascal cannot into voltage the need for a top tier pcb is nonexistant.

Is it worth buying a 4k 60hz now for 1080ti gaming or should I just get a 1440 165 hz?

not sure if this belongs in /sqt/ but will i get nvme speeds on a z87 board or should i go with sata ssd?

Are you a graphic whore or do you actually care about things that matter?

So prasumably high refresh is what matters?

What's the most you would pay for a case?

$1000

msi?

For me, yeah I rather play on low in 600fps than on ultra in 60fps.

1440p 27-34"
It'll be the last monitor you need

They cheap out on their electronic components in all of their hardware, avoid them.

Can ALL DVI monitors work with modem GPUs? Or are some analog?

Some gfx cards don't have DVI, only HDMI and DP

How do I find the dimensions of my case and what form factor of motherboard I can use? Because I really don't want to have to buy a new case

Will my 1080ti be gimped by my oced i5 2xxxk?

Any particular models you would recomend?

Why don't you use a tape measure you little slut.

Manufacturer's site should have all the necessary information.

Google it? If you are using a prebuilt though you might be out of luck since some of them uses proprietary motherboards and power supplies so you still have to buy a new case anyway

Buy a tape measure you tard

Unless you're at 4K, yes

Show us a pic of your guts and we'll be able to tell

Shit, guess I will have to live with it until I can find a covfefe lake i5 for a good price.

Looking for a monitor
>250 USD
>casual gaming and programming work
>image quality is of utmost importance, don't really care about response time and etc, although FreeSync and high refresh rate would be a bonus.
>at least two digital in (DP/HDMI/DVI), because console + PC.
>3.5mm audio jack for my headphone.

My PC is a Ryzen 7 1700 + RX 480 8GB. Currently I have an old-but-ok 21.5" 1080p 60Hz monitor, so I'm planning to do a dual-monitor setup for programming, while using just one for gaming. Suggestions?

>tfw built an r5 1600 pc in july and the new locked i5 is about a third faster

>Buying anything but an r7 to be with the big core bois

I am looking for PSU that can power a dual CPU mainboard. That requires two CPU plugs. I will use it mainly as a workstation and will probably add a GPU. I presume 750W will be enough.

Can anyone recommend one?

What do you guys think about nvme SSDs ?

BenQ BL2420PT

Fucking thermal limits

the card is flashed with 64 BIOS, haven't tried to push 1100mhz on my HBM2

I have this one.
It's very nice.
I use it for the same reason you stated.

Should've waited for sapphire version.

Fuck

9to5toys.com/2017/09/24/lg-29-inch-ultrawide-monitor-29um60-p/

Don't think it has the 3.5 jack though.

I tried, but the reference PCB is damned good, and we had no news on after market cards. Going to water cool it at some point.

Not sure about your PSU situation, but for the average consumer NVMe provides no benefit. If you work with large files or something and need a scratch disk or want to run VMs then you could see a performance gain.

For anyone who wants to fall for the Ryzen ITX meme but don't want ASRock or Gigabyte boards, Asus has finally throw their hat in the ring (this is a Sweedish link, but that probably means it will be available worldwide soon enough). APUs gets BTFO though since it has no video output ports

inet.se/produkt/1901045/asus-rog-strix-b350-i-gaming

>Can anyone recommend one?

Perhaps the Seasonic Focus Plus 750w? That has 5 PCIe/CPU plugs and comes with 2 8pin CPU cables

>What do you guys think about nvme SSDs ?

Unless you are working on VMs, scratch disk or large file sizes it isn't needed

EVGA's GQ PSUs have 2 8 pin CPU connectors I believe

If you have to ask you don't need nvme

Thanks anons, that BenQ seems to fit my expectations.

Hmm, neat.
I was thinking about a build, but I'm probably gonna go AsRock.

AOC makes a $200 1080p 144hz TN free-sync display

Or there's this $250 144hz VA korean monitor

amazon.com/FreeSync-1920x1080-Samsung-Professional-Monitor/dp/B072K3Z5NC/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1500993415&sr=8-1&keywords=pixio px245c&linkCode=sl1&tag=jokerprodu03-20&linkId=a84b9c9014cccccf3f7e55c410213958

I wish ryzen had an iGPU

Fucking graphics kikes

Looking for a cheap mATX B350 motherboard to go with a R5 1400. I'm thinking of doing some OC but nothing too extreme.
ASRock AB350M Pro4 or MSI B350M PRO-VDH? More about the quality of the board itself than the extra features since I don't really need a second m2 or USB C.

>Using iGPU
Why would you do this

So I don't need to spend $200 cuckbux on an entry level card just to play overwatch and do Excel

I've used the AB350M Pro4. Worked well. I don't know what to say about quality except that I didn't have problems.

My last build was two and half years ago (i7 4790K, 970); how much longer should this carry me

It is still useful for doing diagnostics or have the computer up and running if you don't have your GPU for some reason

ASrock Pro 4, VRM just needs a fan if you ever go to 8 cores, MSI's AM4 boards are all pretty bad, though 4+2 on the MSI VRM isn't the worst thing ever, but it lacks one heat sink

APUs are master race

If you need a basic gaming GPU the 550 and 1030 go on sale to near $60 all the time

Otherwise Raven Ridge APUs are coming.

Good luck playing any game on integrated.
Buy a used card.
It will carry you until you want something more. If you don't want anything else them don't upgrade.

There is no upgrade option for gaming performance, all you can really do is double your cores with Ryzen.

I am currently using that but with a 1060, no reason to upgrade user. That processor is fine, maybe a gpu upgrade when the 11xx gpus come out.

holy shit you are seriously retarded. he stated that he cares the most about image quality and then you suggest him
- shitty budget 144hz monitor with cancerous colour reproduction
- a fucking korean monitor with a CURVE when he mentioned programming work. also enjoy dead pixels
go back to Sup Forums faggot

>Good luck playing any game on integrated.
Last gen APUs can run it at 540p, Ryzen + Vega is far more capable.

youtu.be/pTaKNiq8LhI

>although FreeSync and high refresh rate would be a bonus.
Do you have another monitor at $250 with better specs than the 144hz VA display?

The korean monitors are only bad 5% of the time or less, I've used tons of them.

>excavator in 2017
youtube.com/watch?v=yyw7coOhN78

The A12 is total trash yes, but the $70 version with a B350 board is reasonably capable for an under $300 new system.

The biggest limit for APUs is memory speed, not core count or mhz, I don't even know the difference between the 2 but it's been true since Kaveri at least that the A8 and A10 performed pretty close.

Is it even worth installing updates on Windows 7? I've already got service pack 1.

I want to buy some new fans because my current ones are too noisy.
I've seen noctua mentioned a few times but I've also seen a lot of shit memes thrown in the air.
Are Noctua genuinely good? I like their price.

My I/O backplate is misaligned with my mobo (I didn't install and I'm not gonna be bothered removing everything to realign)

Can I simply trim some of the thin metal that's blocking the usb port I want at? It's about 2mm.

Can't see why not. Might make sure it ain't too sharp after.

Ok, thanks
I will check them out, thanks

Picture for reference. You can see the scraping going on with my usb 3.1.

I just got a Rog Strix B350-f

Did I fuck up?

>Do you have another monitor at $250 with better specs than the 144hz VA display
C24FG70/FG73 but he's not a fucking "pro gaymurr xdd" he doesn't need a monitor like that. the curve impacts the text clarity due to squat subpixels. also those 144hz VA panels suffer from shitload of QC issues like purple overshoot / part of the panel flickering. and it's not something that can be fixed since the never revision (fg73) also suffers from purple issue.

for someone who does programming and only casual gaming an IPS panel is a no-brainer. stop shilling shit people don't need.

I've heard there is a gpu sagging when using heavier cards. I've never before used high end gpus so it wasn't my problem, but now I'm planning on buying one and was wondering what do you guys do to fix that?

Unless it comes with a mount support, you sjouldn't need anything.

Those support bracket pillar thingies, vertical mounting or a case where mobo is laying down.

Budget: ~£600 can go a little higher but 600 is the objective

Uses: CAD and Photoshop, and some gaming.

Peripherals: I'm all good on monitors etc.

So my research this far has led me to thinking a Ryzen 5 1400 paired with a GTX 1060 6GB would be good for my use case. Starting with 8 GB ram and moving to 16GB when I have the money.
What motherboard and ram would you guys suggest? Are my CPU and GPU a bad decisiojn?

Reasonable/10

Not bad.
The 1600X is cheaper than the 1600 at the moment (not sure how long that's gonna last), and is gonna be much better than the 1400. For I think just around $40

You may be fine dipping down to the 1050ti, or get a 1060 6GB used and use those monies to finance the better CPU

Ok, so if it needs some support it should be included with a gpu.

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/DFKFvV
Does this link work?
If so, does it seem good? How do i check compatibility, or is that already done for me?

So what's the deal with this Coffee Lake? It'll beat out current CPUs price wise and performance wise?

And to add, the 1600/1600X will be better in the long run for CAD, and if down the line you want to get a newer GPU, you can go that route. 1050ti is totally adequate.

>performance wise
yes
>price wise
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH no

Nice. Also the stock fan is gonna be just fine in the interim.

I'd think more about the GPU before pulling the trigger, but good build if you're comfortable with it.

Motherboard?

ATX or Micro ATX? Smaller build would be better but not at all a requirement. I have virtually no requirements for a case too, since I plan on keeping the PC hidden. Just a nice, solid build is all I need.
Is there a downside of using micro atx over standard atx? Will a micro atx get hotter?

Price? No
Performance? Yes
Price/performance? Unknown.
The new i3s might be better than the R3s, considering they'll have the fallback iGP

I have a feeling it's going to go
>Cheapest 2c/4t Pentium (Netflix/browsing)
>Zen / Raven Ridge APU (gaming and no dedicated graphics)
>Cheapest 2c/4t Pentium (bare minimum gaming with dedicated graphics)
>Cheapest i3 (possibly R3 1200 will be competitive with an OC)
>R5 1400 (for the sweet eight threads)
>Highest clock speed locked i5 (possibly the 1600 will be competitive with an overclock)

It's pretty trivial to remove the six or so screws and seat it properly. That's what I'd do. But if you don't want to, cutting the metal would work.

You could do well with a micro ATX. Supposing the case is well ventilated, you'll be ok.
A friend had one until recently.

Reminder Ryzen doesn't have better IPC than Skylake.

Back in the day I had a case that allowed me to mount a PSU in the top and the bottom.
I know Cooler Master and Lian Li used to have cases like that, but they seem to be EoL.
Do any current cases let you mount two PSUs or at least choose where you mount it?

why would you want to do that?

Why can't x399 boards run 16x/0x/16x/16x?

mounting on the top is retarded

Just flip your case over

I want to throw a 2-4TB HDD in my small ATX rig that only supports 2.5in drives. Who's gonna be my best bet for a manufacturer? I've been using Western Digital Blacks for four or five years now and have never lost a drive so it really breaks my heart to go with a different brand but size matters here.

>2.5" HDD
You are better off buying a new case or using double sided tape on some open surface.

Does it compromise the integrity of the drive to decrease the size? The case I wanna use is the Node 202. I was gonna just use a 1TB WD Black because its 2.5 inches but when I realized I could still find 2.5 in 2TB drives elsewhere I figured I'd see what options I might have or what drawbacks a smaller drive would bring me.

Anybody have any experience with "Drevo" external HDDs?

Redid the whole thing, actually put in a motherboard this time lol. How's it looking?
I'm torn between the R5 1500x and 1600x. I know the 1600x will perform noticeably better but it sets me a fair way from the original £600. I'm just not sure whether it's worth going that far out. I guess it probably is worth it?
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/wFxhbj

Hard drives are slow enough already. Save up and buy a bigger SSD or multiple.

cnet.com/products/gateway-gt5628-core-2-quad-q6600-2-4-ghz-3-gb-500-gb/specs/

I have link related just sitting around. Already updated BIOS, upgraded the memory to 4gb, and replaced vista with arch.
Is there any use for this computer at this point? Can I use it for mining or is that completely pointless without heavy investment?

t. dustfag