Python is a scripting language, not a programming language

>python is a scripting language, not a programming language
can anyone explain this retarded meme?

Scripting is programming

python is programming

It literally runs in an interpreter. No compiling, no bytecode, it runs in a script interpreter

I've compiled plenty of python

It can actually be compiled

Consider: scripting is a subset of programming

Probably not, though.

Autoit can be compiled, you gonna say that's not a scripting language?

It's Turing Complete. It's a programming language.

And scripters are subhumans of programmers

This is the traditional view... (which also makes HTML5 and recent SQL programming languages)

>which also makes HTML5 and recent SQL programming languages
Then it's obviously wrong.

>can anyone explain this retarded meme?
Most undergraduate Computer Science programs will have one or two courses with a slide that calls languages like 'C' and 'C++ programming languages and languages like 'Python' and 'Perl' scripting languages, despite no one in academia or industry using these terms. Try hards repeat memes without understanding the meaning of the words.

It's obviously not.

>>which also makes HTML5 and recent SQL programming languages
The HTML5 and recent SQL are programming languages

Yes

Scripting languages are programming languages, but programming languages are not necessarily scripting languages.

try pyc

Sql aside, how come html5 is a programming language now? Did something happened with it in recent years?

>CS undergrads in charge of wanking over needless complexity

Is c/c++ more fun to program in than Python?

When Python first came about it people wanted an alternative to Perl and Python seemed to fit the bill. It gained its reputation as a scripting language from this, because it was too slow to actually run anything in production. Only when machines got a bit faster did people start using it to write "real" programs.

If you're mainly concerned with "fun", python is probably up there, at least for small projects.

This meme is clearly parroted by people who don't understand the distinction between interpreted and compiled programming languages.

It has a precompiled executable that interprets the script you write, yes.

/thread

the addition of some input and form attributes in html5 made it possible to create full programs with it and css3. somebody even implemented the rule 110 in html5 sometime ago, which apparently proves it to be a turing-complete programming language

That's not what he said you fucking moron.

Assume:
Python is scripting
Scripting is programming

Therefore:
Python is programming

BY DEFAULT it is a scripting language.
But yes, the difference is pretty fucking dumb.
It's a load of elitist wankery in every sense.

HTML can be compiled if you were so fucking tempted to actually do such awful translation.
You'd basically need to make a bridging language that would chain HTML tags in specific ways since HTML is just bastardized XML in reality. (which is good, fuck XML-compliance holy shit)

The only difference that is of any importance is whether a PROJECT uses an interpreter or compiler.
Language never matters much beyond that.
Even PHP, and PHP is just... just shit. There's no even making jokes, it is plain fucking awful.

>tfw I imagined hating myself so much that I have to randomly call people subhumans based on their programming language of choice every now and then to keep myself from commiting sudoku
feels bad man

>fun
some video games are fun

nice hair

More of her hair blowing in the wind?

Python is an interpreted (scripting) language.

C is a compiled language

ASM is machine language

All 3 are programming languages.

what the hell is this