Older PC's

Is there any other point in buying a old model PC that has windows 98, ME or XP as the OS besides the nostalgia circle jerk? And I don't mean getting a virtual machine I mean getting a real PC with a CRT monitor and physically using it/

are you interested in it beyond becoming part of the "nostalgia circle jerk?"
then yes
are you not?
then no

I am intrested to see to capabilitys of a 90s computer and see how it can do in todays modern system. And of course to feel nostalgia at the same time.

Is there ever any reason to use outdated obsolete hardware/software?

People still buy classic cars from the 60's. While that is not a good example when technology is the main topic it still shows how people can love the older models than the newer stuff.

then you just answered your question, go find one and get some perspective
90s hardware overall is a decent blend of the diverse excitement and quality of the 80s and the modernity of the 2000s, depending on the [original] price bracket you pick it can be decently capable
not practically if you're a home user, but people aren't machines and reasons like curiosity or nostalgia are great enough in themselves, novel hardware can make mundane concepts and tasks more fun to learn

Well with hardware, there is certainly some things that you can't emulate like playing late 90's games using Glide rather than DirectX or OpenGL.

Play 486 DOS games and learning assembly thanks to msdos. That's literally it

>Is there any other point in buying a old model PC that has windows 98, ME or XP as the OS
>BUT IM NOT ACCEPTING THE MAIN REASON PEOPLE DO IT CAUSE I WANT ATTENTION

No I never said im not accepting it iI just did not want to invest in something if im going to feel joy for 10 seconds then sell it again or lock it in my basement,

nostalgia is the ONLY

O
N
L
Y

reason to buy anything old.

and you know it.

Some people enjoy old computers. Some people have old games or programs that work better on real hardware than an emulated environment.
Some people have hobbies that aren't massively practically useful, god forbid.

It's dirt ducking cheap to get a PC that old. Find an old 64 bit PC and install temple OS on it. That's about it.

To tap into outdated/obsolete software/hardware?

What if I want the utility of a full-sized station wagon?

90% of old hardware I own and mess around with I never owned before, half of it I didn't even know existed.
Yet I'm having fun with it.

/thread

Normies and hipsters really shit the hobby up for the rest of us.

It's not worth it to buy anything that old that's using Intel/Windows since it can all be emulated, and the emulation is a lot faster and more stable/easy to manage. The old PowerPC Macs and MIPS SGI workstations have very specific hardware that makes running software for it in a VM kinda difficult, so it's worth it for running legacy applications and stuff.

If you're a NEET that needs a reliable day to day machine then just grab a Core2 Duo laptop with at least 4GB of RAM and 60GB of storage off ebay for like $50 and then install Linux on it.

CRTs are nice but they're heavy and bulky. You can get them for like $5 at the thrift store so just buy one and see if you like it.

>It can all be emulated
>Except it can't
perfect logic

Playing old games without issues, especially really low res stuff, upscaled it *can* (not *does*) look like garbage on modern LCDs.

Also just faffing about and the like.

I specifically said that Intel/Windows can be emulated easily but certain PowerPC and MIPS software can't, especially SGI stuff like IRIX, you fucking illiterate.

are you retarded?

No u

every piece of hardware built after 2/2002 has been backdoored by agencies.

Older software.

People still like to play older games on actual hardware. Compatibility mode, VMs and Wine don't always work well.

Then what are you doing in this thread?

I want to see how they get into my C128 or Osborne Executive.

vintage gayming

When you understand that the "advances" of the past decade or two have not been helpful you will use old technology because it still works and it doesn't do a bunch of stuff you don't need or want.

nah, not really, most of the shit I had as a kid was absolute garbage and I'm mostly into weirdo niche shit, high-end workstations and enterprise(TM) systems that I never even knew existed until I was like 14, I just like owning nice, expensive pieces of high-end engineering (or just curiosities) and exploring new things

i still use CRT and don't plan to get rid of it

>there is certainly some things that you can't emulate like playing late 90's games using Glide
>glide wrappers don't exist

Old hardware doesn't have backdoors, so it makes sense if you care about privacy.

Games

For that you'd need to make sure ALL of your software (and firmware) is free, so you don't have to blindly accept blobs and assume they're safe.
If by "old" you mean "anything that runs libreboot," you aren't talking about hardware that's really old.

While it falls on nostalgia circle jerk, you can use it to build arcade machines, maybe a jukebox or a photo kiosk.

yes

this was the inside before i refurbished it
i dont have any pics of what it looks like now

They are wrappers, not emulators.
They wrap glide instructions into opengl ones, the visual result is different.

>no bees

You keep saying this but you can never demonstrate it.

It's fun.

Yes

Old hardware like printers and scanners may not have drivers for modern OS's and buying an old beater might be cheaper than an adapter cable. If they still work, it could be the cheapest solution.

Soon they will
You can already accurately emulate voodoo1 and 2 in PCem

It's cheap