>>brainlets
yes

Java is C++ done right.

That's why phones aren't written in it.

>widely used
>good
pick one

C# is Java done right.

Why are you here? Go back to your gaymin.

This board needs to move away from such useless arguments like this. This board treats programming languages like sports teams. Programming languages are tools, that's all. You pick the tool that suits the problem you're trying to solve.

That is all that needs to be said on the topic of programming languages.

But that won't happen. Sup Forums will continue to waste time arguing over the dumbest things when the community could be having more meaningful discussions and not mislead people curious about learning programming.

C# doesn't work elsewhere but on windows.

>what is mongo?

Wow you are really controlling the damage there

Garbage

Kotlin is Java done right

Wake up gramps, we have .NET Standard, along with Xamarin, .NET Core and Mono. It's not 2005 anymore

>d-don't argue about a topic that's subjective

If you think C# is Java done right, then you probably think C++ is C done right.

Richard Stallman don't like c++ he prefers C

>They can't all be wrong, can they?
you have the exact kind of mentality every C++ has, you use it because you follow what everyone else does

That settles it, C++ it is.

I've used many languages. Once you reach a certain programming maturity you realize the novice trend of always learning new languages is dumb. Most time in programming isn't spent writing new programs. If you wish you had some feature in your language some other language has and use it as an excuse to switch to the latest bleeding-edge thing is you will never move forward, you'll just be what's called an "expert beginner": very good at learning basics, not so much at building thing. Nowadays I mostly use C, C++ and OCaml which are far from recently released. For example one of my older experience was real time physics in C++, no matter what any new language brings to the table there won't be any valid reason to switch from it for this domain.

>Implying mono works well

Same could be said about java

When another language gets the same support (as in finely tuned as fuck compiler and libraries for basically EVERYTHING), this language might have a shot.
But C++ works and the resulting program is fast as hell.

C++ has just been around for so long that everyone just accepts it

There are languages that people complain about and languages that nobody uses.

Kotlin is C# done right

>can they?

"will they"
It's only a matter of time before that dinosaur kicks the bucket.

Sup Forums NEETs hate everything related to gainful employment. Productivity and being useful to society goes against their NEET way of life.

Interesting claim.
What advantages Kotlin has over C#?

can C actually be used for any real modern projects?

it runs on the JVM

For legacy purposes, yes. PLCs may also use C-ish languages.

I know this is bait but I still got triggered.
Well done.

it's all over the place in network programming

uh sure sweetie

What do you think router and embedded systems firmware is written in?

he said modern projects

t. unemployed

modern embedded firmware

The problem with C++ is that it lacks any coherent design.
It's literally designed by a committee which is why there are many features that are duplicates or in conflict with each other.
Prime example of this is the uniform-initialization-syntax introduced in C++11, which doesn't work properly, because they decided to overload the same syntax for initializer-list feature. Also, there's now total of 4 different ways of initializing a variable. There's also 3 different ways of type casting (c-style, functional style and static_cast).

Define "modern projects".

I love c++ it's the most logical and intuitive language for me.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh boy. you are a mess.

>>donald knuth
>useless theoretican
Found a 14 year old "autodidact pythonista".

I agree.
It's fucking stupid.

I use C# mainly, however I use python for my web scrapping, automation and other 'quick' tools. It's also useful to know because programs such as Blender use it for scripting.

I don't use JS exactly, but I still know it for when browser extension breaks/userscripts and the dev is long gone, or if I just absolutely need a page to function how I want.

There is no general 'best language', and people who argue about it are fucking stupid.

how many layers of OSI are you on senpai?

I grew up with C++
It has its place...

However, it is not as expressive as it should be.
In a day and age where hardware resources were scarce, C++ made a lot of sense. It was a step up from C (maybe) and shared most of the same efficiencies that you get from C but with small trade offs.

The need to write readable, expressive code has grown as the engineering field has grown. For most small projects, the complexity of C++ and the degree of control that it gives is simply not needed. Sometimes, the layer of abstraction that you get from other languages makes sense when you want to make things just "GO".

If C++ were made today and not a while back, I suspect it would be a lot like Kotlin or Swift syntactically.

TL;DR: C++ is like any other programming language out there... a tool. In your box of tools you use what is appropriate based on complexity, control, time, money, and other overall resources.

wow you got triggered hard

Just because something is popular doesn't mean it can't be good.

Operating systems and embedded development. But that's highly specialized. Most used is prolly Java homie

The rules are clear: initializer list takes precedence. They are complicated, I'll give you that, but there is no ambiguity.

nah, I just couldn't fathom someone actually choosing the JVM and saying it is, in any way, an improvement.
But don't let that get in the way of your "triggered" fantasy there Pajeet.