Some Ryzen 1600(X) owners are getting 2 free extra cores

Some Ryzen 1600(X) owners are getting 2 free extra cores.

nordichardware.se/nyheter/flertalet-ryzen-5-1600x-med-8-fungerande-karnor-dyker-upp.html

Oy very it's annudah shoah!

Man, AMD can't do anything right. It might SOUND good on paper, but it just shows how low their quality standards are, that chips don't even match the specs on the box. Glad I wasn't sucked in by the Ryzen hype.

t. Intel

'People that bought AMD Ryzen 5 1600 or 1600X-processorer, got them with 8 activated cores. The ghz on the cpus were the same as the 6 core variants they're supposed to have bought.

It was quickly found that all of these R5 1600 models were manufactured during week 36 this year and all were manufactured in Malaysia.

A Reddit user called /u/rigred
took the time to write a guide for anyone who wants to determine when his processor was manufactured. This process, however, means that you must uninstall its processor cooler in order to read the numbers on the CPU itself:'

> chips don't even match the specs on the box
Actually yes, it looks like a PR campaign. "Get our CPU and you may get extra two cores for free". I don't remember those mistakes being made during Bulldozer era or in any of their server CPUs.

Intel
>features might get disabled because we're too lazy or incompetent to fix bugs lol
AMD
>features might get enabled because we're too lazy or incompetent to fix shit lol
Will apply to Vega as well if they get those drivers working

Enabling cores was a feature on Phenoms, it boils down to the production process, if all cores dont work on stock volts the defective ones are locked and the chip is sold as a lower tier product

They are working (Confirmed by Vanguard insider). But they are holding off releasing until they are compatible with a lot of games and making sure bugs are fixed etc. Also they are waiting on more AIB partners, their pro line up of Vega and for leather jacket man to announce the 1070Ti. All this coincides with the end of October/beginning of November.

It's marketing tactics.

This is how you tell this board that you are here since maybe 2015 or later. Enabling cores even on athlons was a big thing several years ago. It's the same PR stunt.

I don't even know what to say

>coffelake launches
>all Ryzens move down a tier in price
>1600 for $120

>getting free cores is bad

>inb4 you can unlock all cores even on 6 core Ryzens by microcode modification

>AMD giving customers free cores
What a nice company

I have a 1600x, those would be dud cores or shitty and unstable at best.

The r5 series are failed r7 with 2 shitty cores that didn't survive

>free cores

Its a meme you stupid fucks

>how dare a huge company make my product better for free

It's tricores all over again.

Is this the reason?
I was thinking that the Malaysian manufacturers might have fucked up somewhere.
Like soon you'll be hearing about a R7's with 6 cores

I actually would like that. Any processor better than Sandy Bridge will do. Man, the CPU competition comes along quite nicely, don't you think?

>tfw my 1600X is 6 core
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

> Enabling cores even on athlons was a big thing several years ago. It's the same PR stunt.
Everybody knows about unlocking on Phenoms II, you don't have to be on Sup Forums to know that. Still, those mistakes don't happen due to incompetence.

amd stop
its coffee lake launch for god sake

STOOOP

>free cores are unstable/broken cores
either that or yields are too good

B-boy I s-s-sure am glad I didn't get 2 cores for free

>B-boy I s-s-sure am glad I can't overclock past 3.9GHz so my chip stays cool

>He needs a 5.0ghz housefire just to compete with a 3.9ghz processor

>mfw Intel shill talking about cpu cooling

He's still holding the chip, so what's on fire? Did he have an AMD CPU in there?

i7

they are getting to high yields, while demand for 6core is very high, so they either need to disable 2cores, or just dont bother. And sell them as is.
Honestly they should just cut 8core prices to 250$ or something, But thats what they prolly do anyway.