I took my laptop in class and people behind me started to laugh at me for having a band aid over the webcam

I took my laptop in class and people behind me started to laugh at me for having a band aid over the webcam
this is not fine

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.erratasec.com/2013/12/how-to-disable-webcam-light-on-windows.html
jscholarship.library.jhu.edu/handle/1774.2/36569
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>privacy lmao

>what is electrical tape

I'm sure used a cheap generic brand. They wouldn't have laughed if you used a boutique hand crafted band aid like a person of any distinction would.

>tapes over webcam
>doesn't tape over microphone

>tapes over webcam
>doesn't just uninstall/disable webcam drivers

yeah if you put a bandaid over your webcam you're just retarded

>drivers
He thinks it is possible to defeat botnet with uninstalled drivers when his uefi can use network and webcam without even functional OS installed.

It stands out like a sore thumb.

Use black tape instead.

All of the qts (literally all the girls) in my comp sci class have taped over their webcams

>qts in CS
Things that dont exist.

CS is mainly a soft science made for women.
CE is all men though.

Assuming a nation state can compromise webcam and microphone drivers / firmware without your knowledge, they could also compromise the OS to falsely report devices / drivers / status / etc.

Software solutions are not a viable form of protection.

You'll know it's recording when this green light shows up.

And when Uncle Sam's spy division modifies the webcam firmware to keep the LED off when they want to record - what then?

You're using a newerr MacBook. The camera can't be on without the LED next to it being lit.

Well that's what you get for using a fucking bandaid. Put electrical tape over it and no one will even notice.

Neither of these are true.

The LED is not controlled by software, when power goes to the camera, it has to go through the LED light first. It's literally hardwired to power on when the camera does.

you can't tho. Take apart the webcam and you'll see why.

user, just go buy some electrical tape for like $5 at Walmart, cut a thing slice off and put it over the webcam, you'll barely be able to see it

Unless the LED dies or you physically remove it, it's impossible to disable it through software

/thread

>$5
jesus

You deserve to be laughed at for using a fucking band-aid.

>Tape webcam
>BIOS
>Disable webcam
>Shove a pin into the microphone
>Set Microphone volume to as high as possible
>BIOS
>Disable Microphone
Problem solved

> this is not fine
Problematic.

For mobiles: open your phone. You can do that, right? You don't have one of those Lol Sweetie You Can't Mess Around In Here iPhones, do you?
You'll likely find the front-facing cam (a useless feature to anyone except hijackers that want to ID the user) connected to the chipboard via a flat, rectangular connector. This looks like a chip but is in fact only a connector, and, with a sharp, flat object, you can gently pry it loose. Put some electrical tape over the socket and connector leads and then reconnect it (it's hard for it to go anywhere else because there's not a lot of room in there). Your front cam is now disabled.

(Make sure to only use the main cam in your camera app; switching to the front one only to find it disconnected may crash the app because they never thought it possible that they'd find an offline cam, APPARENTLY.)

>I fear my machine is compromised, it might be running a program that records my webcam
>It doesn't bother me that such a program could also read all my documents, passwords and photos
>a piece of tape will fix it :^)

>sore thumb
Heh.

Bandaids are made for skin, not plastic displays. I'd probably order stickers just for taping a webcam if I cared enough

Dissemble your laptop, like remove the screen and stuff. Then put some black tape on the cam from the inside. Or put it on the playstic. Nobody will see some tape on the screen while you're happy that the cam won't be able to see you.

By the time you notice, it's already too late.

>hurr durr
>What is firmware

>he doesn't use an fpga-based computer where all the circuits can be rewired in software on the fly

>what is physics

The only things you should be covering up with bandaids are wounds and labia.

This guy gets it.

I don't have photos of me masturbating on the computer though.

>labia
>american girls have this
Why do you allow your baby ovens to be so unclean?

Nice PVM back there

/thread

I had a kid on steam literally ask me why do i care about privacy when asking me why i have a private profile

Why do you?

here's your (You)

That's not an answer.

here's your (You)

So you don't have an answer?

here's your (You)

Pathetic.

here's your (You)

Autism.

(You)

But a bandaid is cuter! Like a maebari~! OwO

It's as if you try to be as stupid as possible because muh boogeyman.

This

I dunno man, it was a pretty fucking retarded question in the first place. You deserve the (you).

I bet you glow in the dark.

>didn't remove the whole webcam to sell it or use for other shit

/thread

>Using steam
>wanting privacy
Pick one.

>Not masturbating to the fact that the NSA is watching you masturbate.

>being this illiterate
sad!

>not using the EFF sticker

you only tape over your camera because you shamefully fap

blog.erratasec.com/2013/12/how-to-disable-webcam-light-on-windows.html

CS is a historically female-dominated field

This exists

I hope he gets it now

Either trolling or completely missing the point

Bruv, my mom isn't even anything REMOTELY close to a Sup Forumsentooman, but she started doing that a while ago, citing Wikileaks and the fact that she's often discussing business stuff around her computer.
I don't even give a shit enough, but she's generally paranoid enough. It has more to do with your personality as opposed to how "socialized" you are.

Fucking neck youreself

OP is using a MacBook Pro.

jscholarship.library.jhu.edu/handle/1774.2/36569

Macbooks are fully capable of running Windows.

The LED light is hardwired and not accessible by software in any way, power going to the camera will unconditionally lights it up. Installing Windows will not magically make the LED light software controlled.

>The LED light is hardwired and not accessible by software in any way
Looks like you're wrong

I would laugh at you too you paranoid fuckwad.

If you'd read even the first paragraph of the paper you'd see this study was done using 2008-era MacBooks and iMacs.

>band aid over the webcam
lol
switch to tape instead

If you used your brain you would know that every led from every webcam in existence is controlled via firmware, this happens because you cannot cut power to devices inside the laptop like that, if you can mod the firmware you can control the led, regardless of os. Its just that recent firmware on recent laptop is more secure than before.

/thread

I would laugh at you too.

I don't use a macbook I found the image online

not how electronics work

I only take off my laptop's camera cover whenever I'm jerking off