/pcbg/ - PC Building General

General:
>If your build isn't completely Poverty-tier, consider an SSD. Consider buying a large SSD for the price of an HDD + SSD, and saving 50$ to buy an HDD
>If your build needs Wifi, you will need a Wireless Network Adapter. General rule of thumb is more than 2 antennas. 2.4ghz or 5.

If you want help:
>Remember, we're not here to build a PC for you, we're here to help you
>View this handy guide on picking parts (MSRP)
logicalincrements.com/
>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>If your part list needs a monitor, include information like response time, refresh rate, and resolution
>State the budget & currency for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaymen, Video Editing, etc
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on other channels)
youtube.com/watch?v=VhdV2wv3jQs

CPUs:
No i5's unless discounted
>A8-9600 (APU) - Poverty-tier builds (At this point, if it's for gaymen, you should just buy an Optiplex and put a GPU in)
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (~500)
>R3 1300x - Gap between 1200 & Ryzen 5, consider a 1400 if you need multithreading
>R5 1600 - Best bang for your buck with gaymen & mixed uses, 1600x if you don't like overclocking
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy multi-tasking & mixed uses, not just for gaymen

GPUs:
Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up, using an old GPU or waiting to build may be a good idea right now.
>1050 TI - 1080p 60hz at low/medium settings (Anything below this, if it's for gaymen, you should just buy an Optiplex and put a better GPU in)
>RX 580 - 1080p 60hz at high/ultra settings, supports Freesync
>1060 6GB - 1080p 60hz at high/ultra settings, supports G-Sync
>1070 - 1080p 144hz at high/ultra settings, or 1440p 60hz at high/ultra settings
>1080 TI - 1440p 144hz at high/ultra settings, or 4k 60hz at high/ultra settings

RAM:
RAM costs so much because newer phones use DDR4 memory.
>Check your Mobo's QVL
>Ryzen CPUs benefit a lot from high speed RAM, 3200MHz is ideal

Other urls found in this thread:

outervision.com/power-supply-calculator,
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1
ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/PmyFf7/acer-monitor-umfg6aab01?history_days=365
pcpartpicker.com/list/4GzKzM
newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313848&ignorebbr=1
amazon.ca/dp/B01IAGSD68
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2kgvr7
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Finally we have the old recommendations back

Is a Crosshair VI Hero for $268 AUD good? its being sold as an ex demo item from a shop near me. What features will i see on it vs other mother boards? seems super expensive even without everything else taken into account

Especially as an ex-demo, no.
Do you want X370 features (e.g. SLI, more USB, SATA, and PCI-e) anyway?

I punched my hopeful build of an OCed Ryzen 1600x and EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Kingpin(I might settle, but are there any cheaper cards with that much memory?) into outervision.com/power-supply-calculator, and it suggested 750W. I'm thinking about spending extra to get better efficiency, is it better to shoot for higher wattage to hit that sweet spot, or get a higher 80 PLUS rating? I'm considering a Titanium rated PSU because it's the only rating that has an efficiency requirement at 10% usage.

>1600x
750w is fine; you won't use near that much anyway.

Even if it's OCed as high as it'll go, with a GTX 1080 Ti at the same?

550W

That's aud keep in mind, the retail is $350. I don't need sli as much as I need the full speed pcie ports for GPUs running independent of each other. More sata would be g, didn't check how many it had.

>vll and ll
what a bunch of garbage, how the fuck is anyone supposed to know what that means.
low latency is something like cl5 ddr2, cl7 ddr3
bet these cucks consider cl 14 somehow low latency

That's around 450w at most factoring in your whole system. Also 1600x isn't worth it without a discount.
Consider it, then. Could be worth it I guess.

Already got the 1600x/mobo/RAM, 1600x was on sale for $200. How the fuck was the calculator saying up to ~700w under load?! But a 750w Titanium is fine then?

Why does this thread exist f the old one isn't done?

OP the faggot forgot to list the W7 compatibility steps for Ryzen.

>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1
Pleb

This does not justify making a new thread when last isn't on bump limit

Simply reply to the OP with that link and make it next time

Move out guys

Got a H61 motherboard I pulled from a Lenovo prebuilt system that was using an i5 2320 at the time. I'm wondering if it will work with a i5 3330 or not? I hear some H61 motherboards will work with Ivy Bridge if they have a BIOS update, I presume a motherboard that came in a prebuilt Lenovo tower is unlikely to have a BIOS update for that?

Thanks senpaitachi.

>3.9 Ghz Poozen beating 5Ghz kaby lake quadcore
okk....

RAM prices will go down again r-right?

What aftermarket cooler should I put on top of an i5 4590? Also whats up with Noctuas being a meme now?

>comparing CPU Ghz in a video game.

One day user, one day you will have some experience and knowledge of computers under your belt.

Any reason for me to stay away from this Acer 1080p 144hz moniter? The price looks nice.
ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/PmyFf7/acer-monitor-umfg6aab01?history_days=365

it's not even 'beating', it just had one instance where the max fps was higher, but the average is still undercut

I'm in love with Vega and I demand her in op.

No reason to get a Crosshair unless you plan on doing some serious memory tinkering and OCing.
t. CH6 owner

The benchmark is obviously GPU limited
The CPUs perform almost identically

>if your build needs wifi, find a motherboard that has integrated wifi, it's easier

shit colours. consider getting G2460PF (better but still bad) or xg2401 if you want something that doesn't give you eye cancer

Not really worth the cost, and sometimes the module eats up PCIe lanes, so if the module dies (and they do--the one on my laptop is dead), the mobo is basically fucked.

Why are there three fucking threads?

I guess I'll ask here too

Is NVME a meme or should I just get a 7200RPM drive?

it sounds like you bought a cheap laptop that needs to be replaced

but that's just me

here's what they're going to tell you

>nvme is for advanced workload, you don't need it!

what you really need to know

SSD is like 300% as fast as an HDD, and NVMe is like 10% faster than SATA

just buy an NVMe and enjoy not having to wait for anything. (seriously you don't even have time to read the tips on the loading screen)

Nah, just old. HP Pavillion dm4. But I encountered the same thing with PS3 with onboard vs accessory blu tooth chips

Can I rip the 2.5'' drive out of this little portable HDD that I used to store my gaymes on for my laptop and shove it in somewhere in my computer? I don't want to have to reinstall all my games.

Cheapest build that will allow me comfy gayming on 1080p ultra 60+ fps on every gaym. I don't want to oc and ssd.

overpriced
im running off a 5400rpm drive and the boot is plenty fast
waiting 5 seconds less for boot and game launches is not worth hundreds of dollars

i5 and a 1060?

>I don't want to oc and ssd.
You don't what to OC? AND no SSD?
Overclocking is so easy children could do it. SSDs are practically a necessity.

It's not about how hard it is (because it isn't), but about how long it will run and ssd don't improve really performance in muh gayms (i'm using pc in 95% to gayming).

Is samsung still the only crew that makes good SSDs?

Upgrading from a 4670k and single rx 480, trying not to btfo out of my 5-600 dollar budget for cpu, mobo, and ram.

Should I go with the 1600 and faster ram, or 1700 and whatever ram I can find (probably 2666)?

Planning to add another rx 480 to cf and just move everything into my current case.

For those that already have a cooler:

too weak to maintain in every gaym 60fps+ on ultra (even struggle in some games on high to maintain 60fps)

what is it with you guys on this board

>i don't want to overclock
>WHY DON'T YOU WANT TO OVERCLOCK FAGGOT

>i don't want a pc, i want a laptop
>WHY DON'T YOU WANT A LAPTOP FAGGOT

>i want an iphone
>WHY DO YOU WANT AN IPHONE FAGGOT

>i want a rooted android phone, an AMD pc that i can overclock, and at least two VMs of linux
>WHY ARE YOU SUCH A NERD FAGGOT

if something rubs you the wrong way, just fucking ignore it, jeez

1600x and a 1060 6gb

ssds are the least important part
stop watching youtube shills

Why are you so worried about Internet name-calling, faggot?

you sure?
it's one rung below 1070 and 1070 is a 1440p card

as i said earlier not enough for stable 60fps on ultra in every gaym

i dont get it
is radeon part of amd?

then overclock you faggot instead of wasting money

I know 1070 is able to go 2k, but there isn't any card between 1070 and 1060 in performance

1060 3GB is missing.

So get a 1070 or rx 580. Why are you asking for recommendations when you have a build in mind? Guessing games are retarded.

AMD bought ATI and the Radeon trademark.

NO CUZ MUH LIFETIME

A 256GB Samsung 950 Evo NVME drive for 160CAD.

Is it worth it as a boot drive?

I'm asking, bc I don't know what cpu to choose (i thought about i5 4690k/1600/8350k/7600k) and sufficient amount of ram (ddr3 16gb/ ddr4 8gb)

>try to overclock 960
>overvolt by +1 mV
>every game crashes less than 30 seconds in

>I dont want to oc
>lets spend more on unlocked cpus

If you're asking about "cheapest", then you know exactly what constraints you're optimizing against. It's not even a linear problem. Get whichever combination of CPU and RAM you're willing to consider that costs the least money. Job done.

Most of oc versions have higher base performance than non oc

>not telling if 8gb ram is sufficient for 7/8 gen intel cpu and zen in comparison to 4th gen intel with twice as much ram
>thinking job is done

how much would it cost to set up a camera network of 8 480p cameras? how much would the wiring cost per foot?

no

>So get a 1070 or rx 580.
These aren't on the same performance level at all.

Don't upgrade mobo+CPU+RAM yet. Also CF sucks. Don't bother.

If you're buying new don't buy any DDR3 platform. 8GB is enough, with the exception being BF1. Just get an R3 1200 or 1500X and a 1060 and quit asking for something that's unreasonable (try playing Mafia 3 at 60FPS Ultra).

pcpartpicker.com/list/4GzKzM

1080p @ 144hz (or as high as possible without being ridiculous)

and yeah i'd like to make one of those super flashy RGB builds

I have socket 1150 and i just wanted to ask if ryzen 1600 non oc with 8 gb ram + b350 mobo will be better option in par with 1070 than buying a i5 4690k with 16 gb + 1070.Am i now clear what i want or i need to simplify even more?

>simplify
You are a defensive retard who can't even explain himself correctly. Have a nice life

Wait for 1070ti (that price is awful), and you don't need 6 fans, even if your case supports it. Spend the mpney on a better graphics card or monitor (1070 is good for 1440p), and buy RGB later.

Sure, just throw your money at things because it sounds good.

clearly he wants a high refresh rate rather than 1440p. you cant take advantage of both with a 1070

>price is awful

...it's $50-$100 less than a gtx1080

Going to buy the shit out of an 8700K tomorrow, assuming they are actually available.

Are they super definitely guaranteed to work with Windows 7? The trouble is just telling the Windows updater to fuck off, right? If I can't use Windows 10 is it better for me to just wait to make sure?

because you are a dumb intel shill

>that much butthurt over someone on internet

>buying a $400 6 core CPU
>dumb frogposter
checks out

Is this a good deal
newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313848&ignorebbr=1

its a good deal but my fuck is that ram ugly

Any opinions on this drive?

amazon.ca/dp/B01IAGSD68

(dubs)
I don't care what my system looks like desu

get a BX 300 instead they are newer and faster than the MX 300

Final build, for light-mid gaming in 1440p but mostly coding and productivity shit. Windows on the Pro (already have it) and Linux on the Evo.

Where did I fuck up?

>B350 AM4 boards say they support 3000/3200mhz ram
>they actually don't according to most reviews
fucking hell why does picking parts have to be such a fucking BITCH

Intel cucks btfo

>muh ram argument
fuck off intel shill go back to stuttering

I just got a ryzen 7 chip in from amazon and it is a 1716PGT

How would I explain to amazon that I want another one?

They do, but they don't support all of it (a lot of Hynix memory is not supported).

>1716PGT
how could you tell?

It says on the chip on the front of the box.

I just got it and am very disappointed, I wanted to build over the thanksgiving weekend (Canada) and I am annoyed.

NVMe SSDs for regular use is a meme unless you use it for VM, scratch disks, or deal with large files on a regular basis to take advantage of its speed. Whoever removed this snippet from the OP is a faggot

go for a more popular one like 1700 so you get fresh stock

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2kgvr7

Finally put together this new box to last me the next 5 years, everything works fine that I can tell, only issue I'm having at the moment is that while rear jack audio is fine, front jack sound is highly distorted. Only using headphones at the moment, no speakers.
The Realtek audio manager notices when the headphones are plugged in and set them up, and their testing sound works and sounds accurate; though in mono and not stereo.
I've looked in my case and it seems like everything is connected; all that isn't hooked up from case to mobo is the fan-control.

What's likely to be the problem? Loose/incorrect front jack connection to the mobo?

>video games aren't large files

>being poor

You bought a new system to last five years and you couldn't be bothered to wait another thirteen hours for Coffee Lake?

Anyway, you need 32GB of RAM for stereo audio.

>loading muh gaems 5 seconds faster is worth $200
buy a better graphics card instead

Unless you play the copy+paste game with your files the difference in boot between (quality) AHCI and NVMe solid-state drives is less than a second.

Have
>i5-4670k
>full ATX mobo for it
>stock intel cooler
>16GB RAM

Help me build a pseudo-NAS type home server /pcbg/. What should I buy as
>case
>PSU
>~4TB storage with raid 1
>better CPU cooler? Would that even be needed?

For case specifically, I'd like something as small as possible - if I can fit it into a 50x30x25cm space, I'll be overjoyed - but I don't know how much that's possible given that I have a fullsize ATX mobo.

>waiting for a thirty second loading screen on every door you go through rather than a three second one
kys