/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtube.com/watch?v=deJcn1mYOlw

>Strap Guide: pastebin.com/SwRysprE
>Watch Essentials 102: pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oufOIzzNOq4
halioswatches.com/halios-seaforth-fixed-bezel/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>2017
>watch

>2017
>no watch

>This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering
Oh, sorry. I was looking /wt/ - Consumerism Thread. I must be in the wrong place.

You want /DW/ not /wt/ buddy

>2017
>wearing pants

I got chu f4m, just wear this shit and pretend to be more enlightened than the people around you.

I'm not wearing pants

Post and rate collections.
Here's mine, the Zeno explorer is the latest addition

Timex, Omega, Pobeda, Seiko, Sturmanskie are godly.
Donate the rest for poor kids in india so they know when to go to school.

No please, Ebay is flooded with indian watches, if you donate these to them they will re-sell em too.

Kek. Memes aside any of my watches looks like a pajeet special.

How thicc is that pobeda btw?
Around 8mm with the dome crystal?

Don't worry, it can't be pajeet special until you own at least one HMT watch.

Just checked it for you, senpai. yeah, like 8mm dome acrylic crystal included.

Missing Omega f8192, Seiko 5s21, some less interesting pieces

Respectably horologically driven, even if they aren't all to my taste aesthetically.

Thank senpai, the dimensions of that piece look pretty nice, I will keep my eyes open for one.
Fun fact, Pobeda and Zim are the same watch, the factory produced them under a different name for a while.

No problem. Yeah I know that, in fact my Pobeda is quite uncommon since the ones in the same Bauhaus style were usually branded as Zim.

I think I have that same shitty watch box from amazon. Does your pillows smell weird?

yes! finally! russian thread!

What is worse /wt/
>getting the true speedy moonwatch, but it might be too big for my wrist
>getting the speedy reduced which fits better, but is not as interesting as the true moonwatch.

Getting the watch that doesn't fit on your wrist obviously.

The top. Its not like any speedy you can get is an actual moon or even space watch. It's just similar so may as well get the one that fits.

>42mm chronograph
>too big
Lol who care what you want, you estrogen guzzling bitch wristed vegan LGBTQ numale faggot. This BOO HOO MUH WRIST meme on /wt/ needs to stop.

I think I can pull it off. Biggest watch is a seiko turtle which I can pull off. Which is bigger but has a slightly shorter lug to lug. I guess I just prefer smaller sizes these days when it comes to daily wear.

What should be my next Russian watch? I already have a Raketa.

i should update it some time but it really is a hassle

Sekonda/Luch/Poljot Deluxe.

Waiting on leather strap for 1963.

Need a better pic too.

youtube.com/watch?v=oufOIzzNOq4
>tgv squale

Is that the plastic watch I see

Still love this collection user

>removes the date but keeps the same movement
>removes a key feature of a diver with the 12 hour marker being obvious to help with orientation
>meme name and meme crest
>some nice clashing colours
>a leather strap on a diver
Well I didn't care about it before but now I know i don't care.

a chromed vostok something sporty for ya

What a waste of metal

Hi all.
I've recently gotten into this hobby and have been doing a tonne of research.
I finally receive my first Seiko SARW025 (SPB041J1) this Saturday and I'm so excited!
I've chosen Seiko for a number of reasons.
1) Because I strongly believe in Japanese-made products and the quality that they produce in Japan is phenomenal. I've always believed in Japanese manufacturing as they always provide excellent value for money.
2) Seiko is a major underdog in my opinion just waiting for the moment when they finally get the recognition that they deserve so now seems like the perfect time to get in, especially with their Presage line of watches which IMO are stunning.
3) I love the fact that the two watches mentioned in the title of this post are open-back so it means that I can admire the watch 'living and breathing'.
4) Seiko have some incredible tech and this appeals to me in a big way. The attention to detail is crazy!
5) I enjoy going against the crowd so for me, Japanese over Swiss is doing just that. I also get incredible quality in Seiko for a fraction of Swiss watch brands prices.
ANYWAY, onto my post haha!
I'm looking for advice from anyone that's had any experience with the SARW025 (SPB041J1) or the SARK013 (SRQ023J1).
As I mentioned, I already have the SARW025 so it would be a bit late now anyway if I have made a bad purchase but I want to get people's thoughts on it if possible please
I'm considering the SARK013 now as well as the AD that I purchased the SARW025 from is getting one of these in stock by the end of the month and considering how difficult they are to get a hold of, I don't want to miss the opportunity if it really is as good as reviews have said.
The best reviews in my opinion come from people like yourselves that know, have tried, experienced and tested watches first hand so any advice would be greatly appreciated from you lovely people
Thanks

This is truly a mental illness

What watch is this?

>Red bezel
>Blue-grey dial
>Off white indices
>Orange hand

Looks classy

On the website it's a bright blue dial and that version is for sale

That is one damn nice dial, now I really want one but I think I have too many dress watches and not a single sporty one.
Alright, any model in particular? I'm more than open for vintage and under 38 if posible.

A watch that sure as hell doesn't belong on a NATO.

I'm not a fan of the SARW025. The SARX041 might be an alternative. Someone here owns an SARK031, and it is a very awesome watch.

This watch is proof that the entire TGV shtick is one big fucking troll of watch plebs. Holy shit.

i hate that orange hand

it was a smart move by squale to make money with zero efforts.
btw squale it means nothing in italian, shark in italian is squalo

Still, why the red bezel? I get the orange and blue since those are complementary colors, but that deep red bezel is out of place.
It should be orange or blue if you want that kind of look.

Some sort of vintage Omega probably.

>under 38
apart from some models most of them are up that number also fun thing, don't take them into crowded places or at least not those with pointy bezels, you will start scratching hands and tshirts.

Any inputs on this kind of vostok? The auction already ended but if it turns to be a good model I'll start looking for more like these, it's 34mm without crown.

Thats the kids version.
Get a amphibia rather than the komandirskie.

>Thats the kids version.
You mean is it really targeted for kids or do you say it because of the small size?

Why did no one tell me how small 38mm looks in person?

It really is the kids version of the komandirskie.
If you want a 34mm watch, I suggest you stay in the dress watch category.

Alright and what size is the non kids version? I already own a few dress watches.

Amphibia 420 is 38mm and has short lugs so it sits well on the wrist. I personally would avoid the komandirskies.

They're middle of the road Vostoks with a hand winding movement, brass case, and fuckall in terms of weather sealing. Can't really speak that much for the Junior model, but as a wholle they're kind of considered cheap tourist watches like Raketas and Pobedas.

The non Junior one is about 38mm.

You coinvinced me, 38mm is just right for me. I'll start the search on ebay because it seems like it has many variants like the Seiko 5.

Doesn't look that small to me, and I have 7.5" wrists.

38 is a great sweet spot unless you're a fatass or Rich Piano.

Speaking of Piano, what watch would you loot a low-level skeleton for?

Help me figure out what to do /wt/.

I thought I wanted a modded SKX013 with movement upgrade and sapphire crystal. For a 4R36 the guy quoted me $555, $655 if I wanted a 6R15. This comes to 7-800 maple syrup bucks for me. For an SKX. I then figured out he would do just a movement upgrade and crystal upgrade for $290 or $390 if I supply the watch. If I can get a used SKX for 200 CAD it brings my price down to about 5-600 movement dependant.

Am I retarded for even considering this? Are there better options I should be looking at? Need a weekend / casual watch and the only diver in my collection is an Amphibia.

what do you think about titanium micheles, Sup Forums?

Artifice Horoworks does an SKX007 with 4R36 and the stock hardlex for $360 USD, and speaking as someone who got their SKX007 with the flat sapphire crystal upgrade, I honestly don't think it's worth it. See what Artifice can do for an SKX013 with the 4R36 and the stock hardlex, because I would seriously consider that rather than spending $555+ USD on an SKX013MAS if that is a significant amount of money too you. I think it's really hard to defend the value proposition on it, and it's really aimed at people who don't care what it costs but they want what they want.

Once you are talking about spending $500 or $600 on a diver there are a

How about you post a titanium watch that isn't a relic of the 90s.

Accidentally hit the reply button too soon, anyway, my point was that once you are spending $500+ USD on a diver you should seriously consider some of the more reputable microbrands out there before deciding to spend that much on a modded SKX013 or spending $250 more than a simple SKX013 with 4R36 upgrade would be.

>Once you are talking about spending $500 or $600 on a diver there are a

Oh shit the Seiko males got him

Probably the greatest true tool watch diver on the market at any price.

What type of watch is the second guy from the left wearing?

Alright thanks, you really don’t think the sapphire is worth it ? Hardlex cuts it? I’ve never owned a seiko. What microbrands do you recommend if I devide to spend 500-600?

what are some good cheap ass watches. im talking less than $40 without strap.

Probably a Datejust.

Most watches are going to come with a strap, so you'll have to remove it with a spring bar tool or a tiny flathead. Either way your options are pretty much going to be exclusively Casios such as the DW290, DW5600, and the MDV106 if you prefer an analog diver.

>6.5"
>fatass
okay wristlet

The flat sapphire crystal is way more reflective than the hardlex, and it's hardly as if you hear about people scratching the hardlex crystals on the SKX that often. I'm not saying don't get the sapphire upgrade, but I am saying that if you are budget conscious, it's definitely one of the options I would omit.

As for microbrands, I just did a little looking around and at 38mm I don't think there are any divers available from new under $600 USD that I'd even consider. Maybe someone else on /wt/ knows some 38mm divers under $600, but I ain't found SHIT.

After like two years of using it as my beater my SKX has like two minor scratches so I would say Hardlex is perfectly fine. And surprisingly the bezel insert also seems pretty hard to scratch, I think the shape of the bezel really helps protect the insert and the crystal.

Well you have the Trident 300 but that watch is even more of a meme than the SKX.

Seaforth is 40mm and $650

halioswatches.com/halios-seaforth-fixed-bezel/

r8 pls 7750 movement

Generic 90s mall shitter/10

Not with the rotating bezel it isn't, it's 41mm.

I wish you luck user. For some reason companies refuse to make smaller divers like they used to.

One of the reasons I opted for my 62mas reissue was the 38/39mm diameter.

>$800 to $1000 USD
You did read that he said under $600, right?

>tfw no hand winding or automatic Bulova Moonwatch

That's why I wish him luck.

At that price range, even in the thousands of dollars, there are few options that meet his criteria.

He'll need to compromise.

Seiko makes some solar womens divers 38mm x 46mm lug to lug. A man can wear it no problem. Honestly the best small diver is the omega seamaster 300m midsize at 36.25mm.

anyone else see TGV's disgusting excuse for a watch with meme brand squale? thing is uglier than my asshole.

What's on the wrist today /wt/? For me it's the 50s Accurist.

nice. how tall is it and does it handle being used just in everyday scenarios? i have 50's omegas and a 40's laco but im almost too afraid id destroy them and their movements.

I don't dislike it. But it does not really spark intrest for me either. Like the maroon and navy color interaction. But the orange hand interupts it.

Also the 12 3 9 markers are kinda odd. Combined withe the 6 marker just being a standard rectange is weird.

I'm ashamed to have been a subscriber to his youtube channel a year or whatever back. And then I saw a video where he "reviewed" a jump hour watch and he had no idea how jump hours displayed time and I quit. Never understood his shilling of squale, isn't that just a shitter brand anyway? and holy shit that's a polished turd of a watch.
>nailed it

Thanks, it's around 9mm thick. The movement is a manual wind A. Schild and seems pretty robust. It's pretty accurate too, probably within 30s/day. It could probably do with a service but it only cost me ~ £12 and seems okay.

Are Casios any good?

ahaha holy christ ariel winter is such a skank
bless her for displaying the goods all the time, but goddamn her for that reduction

>accutron
>7750
wat