What is good used server for home? I want to run nas, firewall and various VM for testing and development

what is good used server for home? I want to run nas, firewall and various VM for testing and development

used servers usually aren't good for the home, they're very loud and generally quite power-thirsty. Also if you just want a NAS and a couple of VMs ordinary desktop hardware is more than powerful enough. Just make sure you have enough RAM.

Buy a pair of dell r210-II with ivy bridge xeon 1230+ and 32 gigs of ram. Dual 1tb hard drives in raid 1 and you're golden. I run 2 210s and 2 110s and they are whisper quiet after booting.

A $50 Core2Duo system.

Can confirm

Nice.

Wouldn't get a rack server unless you have a place where you can put them that isolates the sound from the rest of the house and electricity is cheap

do you know power draw during idle?

Where to buy?

What are the cheapest drives for a home file server? I'd also like to have a backup drive.

reddit.com/r/homelab

Seagate IronWolf NAS drives. Their 3TB drives are cheaper than 2TB WD Red drives

Obviously these are meant to be used in RAID

>7200
How violently do they thrash around on a scale of 0 to HGST? Do they park or tick every few seconds?

No

I have a NAS, little webserver, and I will add OwnCloud soon.

I'm moving everything from an Odroid XU4 with 2 external drives to a HPE Prolient Gen10 with 4 internals.

user, idle HDDs either park or tick.

Yeah but not every few seconds

So 4 of these in 6TB RAID with one pair as a backup? Or should I have the backup drives not be RAID? Which RAID do I use?

RAIDs 5 and 6 use parity as their redundancy mechanisms
For example with RAID 5 you'll have 3 drive's worth of storage and the 4th drive will be used as a parity drive with information spread over all 4 drives. So when a drive fails you replace it and the system will rebuild the array using the parity information

Here's the kicker, if another drive fails during a rebuild you lose the entire array.
RAID 6 is like RAID 5 except it uses 2 drives worth for parity, so 2 drives can fail during an array rebuild

Have you ever used an HGST HE drive? They tick every three seconds producking very noticeable vibration and sound. 6+ HGST HE drives in one case are absolutely intolerable for home use.
On the other hand WD REDs park and take some time to start back up even without spindown but they are absolutely quiet.

Good thing we're talking about Seagate drives

And the HDD ticking sound is the last thing OP is gonna hear if he gets a rack server

Not OP.

I went with a PowerEdge T410, because while it was a very base config (2x 5502, 4GB RAM) it had the hotswap drive bay, and I had 8x 8GB RDIMM's. It was also $30.

Added those, a pair of 5660's, DRAC, 6x 4TB WD RE3's, 8x 1TB 2.5" HGST spindles, 4x Sandisk cloud SSD's, a pair of 6 drive 5.25 enclosures, a pair of H200's, and an H700.

The controllers, CPU's, SSD's, and 4TB drives were all things being thrown out at work. The 1TB's and enclosures I bought.

It's quiet, and does what I want it to.

/r/eddit fag detected!

>le reddit boogeyman

Tower servers, like the T-series from Dell, is an exception.

RAID 6 sounds like exactly what I wanted, thanks for the help.

Just remember, since 2 drives are being used for parity in RAID 6 that means you don't get to use those 2 drives for storage

That's what I wanted.

>trusting seagate
i've had about 6 different seagate HDDs in the past and they've all gone to shit within 4 months of using them.
HGST is the way to go.

Are you by any chance in charge of Backblaze's servers?

Best < $100 server that isn't too loud?

unfortunately no

Cheapo Optiplex from Craigslist

a raspberry pi.

two raspberry pis

1 rpi3b for nas, and orange pis for other things(pi hole, vpn etc)

a series of light switches attached to wires attached to a power source and some light bulbs that (depending on what lights are on) will solve equations at will, like an electronic abacus

need it to be quiet? destroy it. it will no longer make a sound.

I am hosting at home a website (100k page visits monthly) a mail server and a cloud server
and all of this just on a raspberry pi 3
never had any problems