Whats the best way to apply thermal paste, i've been using the cross method and never had a problem

whats the best way to apply thermal paste, i've been using the cross method and never had a problem

Other urls found in this thread:

arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.html
youtube.com/watch?v=qc7bCC1TmVg
pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Thermal-Paste-Application-Techniques-170/
youtu.be/qc7bCC1TmVg?t=253
youtu.be/JL1C8LrsBto
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

1, pic related

dunno about amd

1 if its a small cpu like most intel or amd chips
if its a 2011, 2066 or TR4
use more small dots

1 for most processors
4 when the die is rectangle shaped such as quad core laptop processors

>not buying a bucketload of thermal paste and just dunking your cpu right the fuck into it

One dot in the center for square-shaped processors.

One line covering about 60-70% of the heat spreader's length if rectangular.

Same rule applies to either - you want the thermal paste layer to be as thin as possible while facilitating full CPU head spreader to heat sink contact at areas which transfer the most heat (generally the center and/or CPU core locations).

The less, the better
Copper conducts the heat better than the paste

Depends on the paste
1 for regular paste
2 for metal alloy paste

Got some Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra like 18 months ago. Sightly overclocked (I don't want to push more than 1.4V for 24/7 use). Temps are around 55°C with prime95 and a H100i.
The only down side is that its hard to remove after it has set and the risk of short circuits while its liquid.

Yeah, well, I've never used any and I've never had a problem. It's a placebo.

Five is probably the worst possible way since it will most likely create an air pocket at the center that won't properly conduct heat from the chip under the case.

First one for mainstream Intel CPUs (that are relatively small in size). For Threadripper (and maybe larger Ryzen CPUs, though I don't remember how big those are), you should consider another method. Maybe 4th one.

1 or 4, depends if compound is thick or not.

rectangle, 25% of width towards the inside

Doesn't really matter as long as there is enough
I usually spread it out

ma nigga, I didn't even use thermal paste...

why the fuck you guys believe that you need thermal paste??... you guys getting jewed by thermal paste manufacture

>dunno about amd
Like so, as evidenced per AMD's audiovisual documentation

Thermal paste absolutely helps.

Although I usually just use what’s already on the stock heat sink.

1, Covers the area
2. Its not thick or very light
3. Clean

Thats all the criteria for "best". You can exclude the "Clean" part and it would still be fine.

X method is best method. It covers the center, and works for threadripper with its 4 distributed dies.

multiple small gobs, 1 or 4

why is every techtuber (pauls hardware, bitwit, jayztwocents, gamersnexus) spreading with their fingers now??

the theory is to only use enough TIM to smooth out the gaps between the metal
"a little dab'll do ya"

Short answer:
It doesn't make much difference

Long answer:
It depends on the size and shape of the CPU die (QP3 on pic).
Some popular brands of thermal paste provide relevant information per CPU,
see: arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.html

Just dump your tube on it and cover the whole thing.

2 is best. Why would think anyone otherwise?

MEIN NGGER

It doesn't really matter the only thing that will mess with temps is if you don't use enough. If you use too much all you are doing is wasting it and making a mess it wont screw with temps. I will say though if you have a cooler with heat pipes that directly touch the processor you should probably do lines right on the heat pipe because any of the other methods wont really spread it around.

I tried 1 and was having overheating issues, then I smothered the shit out of it and haven't had an issue since

youtube.com/watch?v=qc7bCC1TmVg
der8auer shows that the cross method works fairly well and most of the the others can be a bit spotty.

>19w processor
>several gallons of paste
That poor little apu

Unless you have autism just put a rice-sized amount in the center and you're done. No need to waste time and paste trying to pre-spread.

>he doesn't also spread paste on the heatsink

>needing to curcumsize your CPU and void the warranty just to get "acceptable" temps, why are intel users so cucked

>he doesn't have a specially designed paste application tool

I use #2 since its the only way with liquid metal, also have to apply it to the cooler the same way

>he doesn't buy his pc pre-built

cross has the best spread

X method worked best for my 2600k.
Out preformed the pea and line method.
All were like 2-3C different though.

pea method. anyone else who says otherwise is lying to themselves

by making various lines you're just leaving gaps between the processor and the heatsink and those airgaps retain heat much more. so it's better to just put a pea-sized amount down and let the weight of the heatsink spread it out for you.

Ctrl+F "Jewzizz" : 0 results

grain of rice
it get flattened out by your heat sink anyway so everything else is a meme.

X

pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Thermal-Paste-Application-Techniques-170/

Because I got free thermal paste with my cooler and it wasn't shit.

The best way to apply thermal paste is to not.
Stuff like the Indigo Xtreme (renamed Maingear Epic) are superior solutions.

The actual die is a very small area in the center of the "CPU". You want as thin a layer as possible over the die.

>I don't understand statistical variation the post

Thermal paste is for normies. Use cummies.

It doesn't matter how you apply the thermal paste it will wind up being spread evenly by the heat of the CPU and the pressure from the heatsink. Just don't put on too much or put it on in some stupid way that results in lots of paste somewhere other than in between the CPU and heatsink.

Do a BB sized dot, spread it across the CPU with a micro fibre cloth, do another dot dead centre and put heat sync on

>Copper conducts the heat better than the paste
But unless the surface is like a telescope lens perfect it's less conductive than using a moderate amount of paste.

It doesn't matter how to apply it, so long as you have enough. And enough is more than a tiny amount, and even if you squeeze it out the side it's conductivity isn't going to suffer.

And only needed if you're using a shit intel CPU.

1 is the best. 3 is ok. 2 would be perfect if you could make it super flat.

Any other will just trap air. Two or more drops can be used if placed on a line

>airgaps
everyone always talks about these as if they're common or even exist to begin with
where's the fucking proof?
der8auer didn't see anything resembling an airgap in his video trying different methods

So it's probably "whatever you like" shape. Next time try painting a dick on your cpu lid.

DELID DIS

the best method is probably put a chunk above where the chip is, and don't worry too much about the rest

also NEVER scrape

This. I remember using a line for my Skylake chip right above where the die was under the heatspreader.

Fuck this shit I'm just gonna buy a thermal pad

1 and 4,
others leaving too much air,
and NEVER spread...

source: pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Thermal-Paste-Application-Techniques-170/

I wonder how many people learned that from MSI

>the risk of short circuits while its liquid.
So your suppose to just wait for it to dry right? how long that?
Also you can never have to much ram

>This is too much air
lmao

look at this youtu.be/qc7bCC1TmVg?t=253
Do you really think Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra is worth it. I wanna try it cause it looks fancy but that big bubble in the middle.

Also this video pretty much proves that cross is the best method to use. Why do people still circlejerk le dot

>der8auer didn't see anything resembling an airgap in his video trying different methods
So people getting better temps after reapplying TIM is a lie?
Just like Sandy Hook?

>pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Thermal-Paste-Application-Techniques-170/
Nigga hardcore scientific analysis was done i mean look here.

>he saw that company on the Linus's video and now is posting stuff from it

>Fuck this shit I'm just gonna buy a thermal pad
Never heard of this. Can anyone tell me pro's and cons between paste and pad?

for the most part, as long as you don't create a bubble like 5 may, it doesn't matter.

a line down the center is good enough possibly a bit thicker on the application in the center.

the cross also gets great coverage age but its relative as the majority of the heat is transferred from the center.

the end result should look like 2, but unless you have a silk screen for the processor, it's not worth doing that method, though If I ran a shop this would be the method I use.

tldr
1) don't make an air bubble, 4 and 5 are shit
2) cover the cpu
3) grain of rice where the cpu is possibly thicker is all you need.

Thermal pads are simpler to use but they don't conduct nearly as well. They're using GPU's mostly because you have a thicker area between the things they want to cool and the heatsink, but for anything that really matters that has to be cool like the GPU die itself they use thermal paste pads are relegated to where paste conductivity could be an issue and were getting the heatsink to actually conform to shape of the board would be prohibitively expensive.

That was hard to read. Try some punctuation next time but thanks. I'm still not sure if I understood you though.

>Hellman's

i fixed mt PS3 with toothpaste worked fine

The Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.

Place a peasized amount underneath your foreskin, rub it vigorously and then use it as an applicator to get an even coat.

1 is best for most cpus
3,4,5 are okay and 3,4 are sort of necessary with threadripper
2 is absolute garbage and you should never do that
And if you do 6 you probably are retarded and/or need to where you can fling shit with the other console loving spergs

Yeah apple just let's it throttle whether you have thermal paste or not

honestly it depends on the thermal compound you use as each one has different viscosity. but the pea size drop in the center method is the hardest way to fuck up.

Americucks cant into this

everyone else is lazy and stupid

2 is actually the worst way MSI.

Bead of rice method right on the center. Then press the heatsink down and don't turn or twist. Screw it in evenly.

Although if you have a metallic paste it's not like your run of the mill stuff, you must spread it out yourself because it's too thick to have an even spread if you just smashed the heatsink on there.

Actually FujiPoly makes some pads that are 17watt/mk
That's better than some of the crappier thermal pastes...

have you ever actually removed a heatsink after applying thermal paste?

yes if you see the results it is the second coolest after the x method which is more difficult to get right. Smooth spread is the easiest method to apply the correct amount of paste to the whole surface.

fucking brainlets commenting

>we'll never have graphene thermal paste
why even bother.

We'll never have graphene anything user - it's literally a dead-end technology now.
It was found to cause issues the same as asbestosis - the Graphene 'revolution' died before it even began.

Depends on heatspreader and dye size

Intel consumer CPU -> Dot
Intel Skylake X -> circle | cross
Ryzen -> Bigger dot
Ryzen Threadripper -> Cross

line > dot

Dot was good when CPU dies were roughly square, they've been mostly rectangles for a while now.

Generally speaking:
- Line for new CPUs, provided you find the direction the die is laid out and apply the TIM appropriately.
- Dot for older CPUs
- Cross for when you don't know the die orientation and/or shape
- Multiple Lines or dots (based on die shape) for multiple dies under the same heatspeader (Threadripper)

>I don't understand statistical variation the post number 2

Why wouldn't you want your heatsink to make contact to the heatspreader in areas where there's no die directly under it? Those parts of the heatspreader would still get hot, albeit less so, because it's metal and it spreads the heat. The heatsink would still be able to get heat from those areas.
Doing a line specifically instead of just putting the same amount of thermal paste everywhere is stupid.

You can find some manufacturers of AIO'S have these weird contraptions that go on top of the cpu you move a piece of plastic dragging the paste ontop of the cpu and then move it back and it creates this incredibly thin perfect uniform layer of thermal paste

youtu.be/JL1C8LrsBto

>Got some Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra like 18 months ago.

Why do people fall for this retarded meme? Literally watch benchmarks, AS5 is SUPERIOR to anything else.

Dot works for everything, you just need to apply the correct amount which will expand to all the surface when you put the cooler in.

>intel users have to tape down their delidded cpus

lmao

there were a few pads at ces a number of years ago that were comparing themselves to as5 and winning, but no idea what happened with them.

honestly, I would go paste over pad for pretty much every application a normal consumer would have when it comes to computers.

For VRMs, memory modules and whatnot with a yuge gap to the heatsink, I'll put paste on both sides of a copper shim.