CPUs can be shrunken down

>CPUs can be shrunken down
>ram can be shrunken down
>GPUs can be shrunken down
>storage devices can be shrunken down
why cant PSUs be shrunken down so they can fit inside a laptop instead of a power brick that weighs more than the average American?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zoZ1_aEDPos
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

because electricity, you fucking mongoloid

please explain

I studied power electronics.
The size is inherent to the inductors and capacotors used, it's a direct tradeoff between volume and efficiency (smaller means lower efficiency). Add to that the necessary cooling, thermal limits and switching losses in the semiconductors.
inb4: No, all components are necessary, topologies with less components have downsides that may or may not be acceptable depending on application.

Why can't a water pipe be shrunken down and still have the same amount of water flow through it?

could new materials help reduce the size?

Because there's a limit to how compact you can make something that actually has to do work

It actually can though...

still need big heatsink and transformer

If you could discover or invent them, and cheaply mass produce them, yes.

>ac was a mistake
dedicated DC power outlets when

Happens regularly, PSUs now are smaller than 20 years ago. SiC (silicon carbide) semiconductors and modern magnetic material (high tech ferrites) and higher density caps (or non-electrolytic but fuckexpensive caps) for example.

Moar volts/pressure

more pressure == thicker walled piping

You want even more heat swimming around in your laptop? Feel that brick when your laptop goes under load, add more for the shrink, and then have fun with the idea of your CPU thermal throttling into the 90s.

>switching psu

Indeed. When either one leaks, a laptop has a bad time. Mains voltage in a laptop is a fun thought.

GPUs shrunken down? Last time I checked they're still embedded in huge ass boards and need huge ass cooling systems.

Same for desktop CPUs.

We don't even have a mini PC that can house a desktop CPU and video card yet. You know, a system you could hold in your palm.

In this respect, we're still in the medieval 90s. Only storage has made huge progress in speed, miniaturisation and cost.

CPUs haven't made that much of a progress in terms of taking up less space, but computing power has increased together with advances in miniaturisation.

Do you have any idea how PSU looked like say 15 years ago? They were so bulky and heavy with their big 50/60Hz transformers. Switch mode PSUs are so much smaller and better.
Imagine how a 600W desktop pc psu would look like with traditional transformer design.

Not including the psu inside the laptop has practical reasons. You can swap the bricks for different countries and plug types. They also get hot and it'll keep the heat out when they are externally.
When they fail, its easier to replace them and so on

Once devices will adapt industry wide standard 24V

Because all the components needs electricity at various voltages and what not is a motherboard kind of like a travelling salesman problem?

if you can invent a new lighter and smaller material for caps that can be mass produced you will literally win the economy

You can offset this by enforcing efficient software.
Software is stupid inefficient. (consider the actual utility excel gives you compared to lotus)
If you don't draw much power you need less charge current so you don't need big components.
Might even integrate the power supply into a laptop at that point. Just keep a mains to DC jack around then.
Rpi is an example of this. Though it's also running inefficient software.

this

there have been huge advancements in PSU design in the last 15 years

>nu-Sup Forums doesn't remember that some laptops back in the day had integrated PSUs

i'm a retard. can you post proof please?

blame the japanese caps

literally they are cancer in tech business, 30years stagnant

Yeah, I also want unnecessarily thick and expensive wires in my walls.

damn, what a machine

>power brick that weighs more than the average American?

Lol

I piss in 32 psi pressure, where can i overpressure it to 100 psi ? I tried to glue the tip abit to narrow the spread and let it out as hard as i could.

Do you even physics?

This post is so retarded its funny in itself, ever heard of moore's law chump?

>GPUs can be shrunken down
Is that why when my GC died I had to get a laptop GC as the other ones couldn't fit inside?

Because if there is an issue, an external power brick can be recalled separately from the main device, saving millions of dollars.

See: Xbox Power Supply fault

>massive, clunky power bricks
stay mad, pcfags

>Only storage has made huge progress in speed, miniaturisation and cost.
Only by removing required parts and making the user or oem make up for the shortfall.
m.2 overheating is such a problem that even laptops are now moving the ports so that they can thermally bonded to the case.

GPUs could be smaller if we sold them sans cooling and made the user supply that themselves.

Blame the inefficiency of modern processors and displays. If laptops only required 10Whr batteries instead of 60Whr batteries for 4-6 hours of use then we could charge laptops directly with small 5V/2A wall chargers.

Even 5V/4A dash charging would take 6 or more hours to charge a modern laptop.

>We don't even have a mini PC that can house a desktop CPU and video card yet. You know, a system you could hold in your palm.
We could have if that wasn't a completely retarded idea. The entire point of having desktop parts is that for many applications, volume and weight are NOT important factors, so the focus is obviously on performance and not miniaturization.

thats a nice white brick you got there macfag

damn read a book, the same reasons why MOS amplifiers use >120nm.

Modern processors are literally more efficient than at any time in the past. Are you actually mentally retarded?

>what is mini-itx

Mac mini hasn't that problem

Not for computers. Go find me a laptop processor that only uses 1 watt while web browsing.

Because on a phone that's all they fucking get to use while the rest is used by the screen, lte modem, ect.

They could be shrunken down marginally by increasing efficiency and decreasing heat. Maybe using more expensive materials could help. How cares though? Laptops are for niggwrs

Unrelated to what was being talked about.

But who the fuck cares about a high spec desktop system fitting in their palm?
is right, get your head out of the gutter and stop crying that 'huge ass' desktop parts are too big for manlets like yourself

t. Edison

Works for England!

Just make more power efficient hardware so you don't need as much electricity in the first place ;^)

>small
>starts convenient fires
truly the power of Apple

I haven't heard of any Mac power bricks catching on fire recently but the one he posted is like 25W, so it's barely more powerful than a smart phone power adapter.

I wish they were bigger and included more EM shielding. There are also some instances where they should have some kind of sound dampening, or be engineered to be silent. I've had a lot of issues with power supplies for my music gear making too much noise to record with.

My favorite keyboard costs over $2000 and cannot be placed in the same room as a vocal mic if you plan on recording well

Rate my psu design

t. English major

Metal penis.

is that supposed to be a voltage divider at the end? Because that's wrong as hell.

also the dc voltage should be circles not batteries.

>is that supposed to be a voltage divider at the end?

Those are the positive and negative cables you connect to the dc device.

>dedicated DC power outlets when
when you decide to either move into a caravan or a boat, or install them yourself.

You can set up, dedicated dc outlets; but unless you live in a mobile home (i.e. off-grid), don't bother - no real point.

I wonder if you could build in and ARM processor and offload trivial tasks like that. That'd actually be pretty cool. MFGs would have more room to work with too, so they'd have more room to scale.

They can be shrunken by using more expensive materials, but that raises the cost more than the bulky size does.

>reminisce about laptops with integrated PSUs
>posts an old crappaq that uses an external brick.

I had one of these. Biggest piece of shit I've ever owned. (Protip: the video cable behind the bezel will sever itself after the lid's been opened/closed enough times :^) ).

Would have made more sense to post a mid-90s Toshiba Satellite.

Stop talking out of you ass. Uses a brick.

Your*
Touchscreens are cancer

It can. Just increase the pressure.

There's still no reason a 120 volt wire that only uses 45W can't fit inside the puter.

Articles circulate around the internet saying that Macbooks start housefires.

What they fail to report is that the user is charging their Macbook with a frayed wire, instead of replacing it like a responsible adult. And then they immediately go to the press, because they can no longer afford a lawyer without a house.

Apple gets all of these class action lawsuits dismissed because of stupid users committing user error.

Madman

My old Toshiba has a built in PSU

>the video cable behind the bezel will sever itself after the lid's been opened/closed enough times
I had to put three display cables in a ThinkPad T23 for this reason. Design flaw with the wider SXGA+ cable, I believe.

Every technology is just waiting for better, affordable materials

They can and sometimes are
Usually they're not inside the laptop, but at work I use a laptop where the psu is in the plug. Its just ever so slightly larger than a normal plug

They can but it all comes down to marketing.

Nobody cares about the size of the power brick.
They only look at how thin the laptop is.

If integrating the power brick would add 1mm to the laptop's thickness people would choose the competition.

This is a 65W universal laptop charger

Unfortunately it costs $99

>65w
weak useless shit

lmao, what kind of gamur rig are you running

Speaking about power supplies.

Do you think hardwired USB ports will become a thing?

A famous youtube looked at a crap one not too long ago.

youtube.com/watch?v=zoZ1_aEDPos

Not gaymur, only the intel igpu but with a 57W TDP quad core processor.

>What they fail to report is that the user is charging their Macbook with a frayed wire
>designing a cable to fray is user fault
Fuck off

USB ports become basically obsolete after a few years.

If you got one of these when they first came out 10 years ago, you'd be charging at a shitty 2.5W right now.

If you got one 5 years ago, you'd be charging at a shitty 7.5W now.

If you got one 3 years ago, you'd be charging at a shitty 10W then and 2.5W now because QuickCharge basically died.

If you got one last year, you'd probably be wishing for USB-C already.

65W should still enough for normal use.

If you go above it it will just drain the battery a bit.
You'll have to run it at full power for hours on end to completely drain the battery.

I have one big brick (130W IIRC) and a smaller one.
I keep the big one attached to my dock and use the small one when I'm on the road - works perfectly.

The one in the video doesn't seem like a good idea.

It means having to run a transformer 24/7 on sockets you might not even use for years and years.
That potentially wastes shitloads of power.

I would rather see a single transformer for the entire house providing USB power to every single power outlet.
Then if you don't use one port it's no big deal as long as you use some.
I would mean having to run DC cables through your walls so I'm not sure normies would fall for it.

it actually will have the same amount of flow, just at a higher pressure

dumbass

There's a limit to that you cockmuncher.

Because a consumer looks at the spec sheet and sees dimensions, weight, thickness and battery life.
So manufacturers rather improve these things instead of shoving a psu into the computer itself.