Old ass phone thread

So with every OEM deciding to shell out mediocre devices for stupidly high prices, we can all agree that buying a cheaper older one wouldn't exactly be a waste right?

I've been eyeing the N6P for a while and wondering how it would hold up in 2018 since it had Oreo now. Any one here with a N6P or old device got some recommendations or anecdotes.
(Let's go for 3.5 years max)

6P owner here. Runs well with Oreo, still plenty fast imo so don't really see a need to upgrade.

I'm sticking with the BlackBerry Q10, Classic, and Passport

Using a Moto X Pure with Lineage. If you don't mind a shitty camera and poor battery life, it's still a pretty good phone.

I use a Moto G 2014 with Lineage, Magisk, microG instead of Google Play Services, and Xposed unofficial for nougat. works well

Is there anything at all about the XL2 that interests you? I want to say it's a good successor to this phone (without a jack) but I've never had one.

This. I'm pretty fucking amazed, considering every iPhone I owned would slow down to shit after a year.

Getting an SE in December, lads. I’m going to keep it forever.
>inb4 wait until March
Carrier plan dictates otherwise, plus I don’t want to wait and have Apple fumble it up. SE’s hardware is still great.

Moto phones have this odd vibe to them. They always seem like it would be better to go for OnePlus Chinkphones or just an old nexus if you want close to stock. I've never been for using Roms

I have a 6P. Have had it for 2 years and still like it. Still as fast as you'd ever need, great screen, 128GB storage, yadda yadda. The issue is you'll never get another official Android update after 8.0. I'm getting a Moto X4 Android One since I'm on Fi. I don't need a flagship phone anymore, the specs on the X4 are great and it'll get Android updates for the next two years. Only $400 too.

Bump for interest, my Nexus 6 is dying and literally every new phone looks like fucking shit, especially the no headphone jack meme. I'm not paying double for shitty quality Bluetooth headphones when I already have perfectly fine headphones.
The Nexus 6P looks like the only reasonable option but the fact that it's made by Huawei worries me...

The LG G5 is available for about $250 from china now. Since it sold bad there is a surplus of stock (particularly with the shop demo model which can be modded to run nougat.)

I've only had LG phones but once and they've all disappointed me.... that is a good price though but (insert LG meme here, bootloop, ugly skin, bad cameras,etc)

6p owner here. No problems so far. Oreo runs well and the phone is built well. I'll be using it as long as I can.

Any older SD820 or SD821 phone is almost the same performance wise as a SD835 phone, things haven't progressed much the last year.

6P is the best phone I've ever used after iPhone 5S.

After 2 years, I have not encountered any issue at all. Huawei is one of the best manufacturers out there. My only gripe is that the battery can only hold up to 3 hours now.

Planning on getting an XL2 to watch movies in daydream VR. Also sound won't be a problem thanks to Bose QC35.

Still on 6P. Bought a S8+ to replace it;turns out touchwiz is still dogshit. Returned S8.
Phone I'd consider would have to have AMOLED/1440p/headphone jack. Pixel 2 lacks the jack, and pixel 1 is the same thing as a 6P. Gonna wait a year and see how the pixel 3 is.

If you are buying an "older" phone, it would be stupid to get one that is unable to upgrade to the latest version of the OS (for security purposes). Shy of that, I don't really see the problem.

I have LG 2 chances. An optimus phone, which was a piece of shit, and pic related, which is, hands down, the WORST phone I've ever used.

I have 6p. I would nah the pixel XL 2 if I had the money. It's basically what the first gen should've been and is a good successor to the 6p. Too bad the price is doubled.

6P here, phone looks fine despite daily abuse and no case. Feels snappy with Oreo, customized black UI with substratum/Andromeda without rooting. Has good stereo front facing speakers and a headphone jack.

Have absolutely no reason to upgrade to any garbage released this year.

What's wrong with the camera?

Is a lightly used Pixel XL for $400 a good price lads?

No

Until the next iOS update, when you can choose between losing updates and support for all apps or have a high priced phone that runs slower than most mid-range of the same time.

Negatives first. 6P has very common battery issues, where the battery will die at a high percentage. This can be fixed by replacing the battery, but the 6P isn't the most friendly to user servicing. It's also prone to bootlooping. This can be fixed by disabling the 4 A57 high performance cores, which impacts performance. It's not very sturdy and is prone to bending around the power and volume buttons.

With a sample size of two, I had minor battery problems, dying at around 10%, and minor bending. My dad had severe battery issues, dying at >60%, and also bootlooping. Mine was under warranty, replaced with a Pixel XL. His wasn't, battery replaced and ElementalX 4-core kernel applied.

And the positives. Great display, speakers and camera. Fast. Charges quickly, and before the battery went to shit battery life was great. Overall, I loved that phone. If it wasn't for the battery issues, I'd still be happily using it.

I'm running the OnePlus 2 with CarbonROM atm. Will try LineageOS Oreo today. It's working really nicely and i have no reason to upgrade.

My Samsung Galaxy Note 3 has a cracked screen and the battery only lasts 20minutes, but it is doing duty as bedside alarm clock/podcast/music player, and feels very responsive on LineageOS, if the screen/camera were still in good condition I'd buy a new battery and continue using it

Had the Nexus 6P, RMA'd it for a Pixel XL. 6P is a great phone, runs smooth and never gave me trouble... EXCEPT they fucked up and the vbus is out of spec, kills the battery over time. Got to where it couldn't hold a good charge and would die around 30% battery. Rather fond of my new Pixel XL but if Google hadn't offered it I would have done a battery replacement on the 6P and been happy

Shit, well that's a deal breaker. Anything repair-wise is out of the question because they don't even sell Nexus phones in my country. That sucks, is there any other phone similar to the 6P or will I just have to buy a Pixelcuck?

Couldn't even get a battery off the internet? Bootlooping fix is all software.
Anyway, the Pixel XL is fantastic. Faster, better (if slightly smaller) display, better camera. Build quality feels more solid and it's more ergonomic and less slippery in the hand. Only complaint is it only has a mono speaker.

>Bullshit the post

Moto phones run well for lagdroids

Have my old Oneplus One around, with a cracked screen that doesn't respond to touch (can only use it with a USB mouse), a dying battery and Wi-Fi that disconnects frequently.
In your experience, do you think repairing it is worth it? The only decently priced parts are chink shit and I'm really afraid of getting chink'd.
I would honestly prefer it to my current phone, a 2GB RAM P9 Lite that can't keep more than 1 app in the background and can't handle Chrome with FB Messenger at the same time.

LG v20 for 300eur lads good deal?

Have you tried using Messenger Lite?

>no bubble
>no video call
Such is the price of being a poorfag in this day I guess

t. iToddler

I'm still on my Nexus 5 which I bought at launch. It's on its death throes though... battery can barely last half a day, the phone gets warm all the time and it's no longer recognized by the PC via USB connection.

Still not sure what to replace it with but probably a Sammy. Both my parents use Galaxy devices ie. Note 5 and S7 and they are built supremely well.

I've really liked mine. Everything is snappy, comfy to hold, modest battery life (not to mention swappable). The bootloop issue took LG a while but now they acknowledge it so if you get the fault they will replace it. Skin issue was resolved on 7.0 with system wide theme engine.
I've found Sony to be one of the worse ones as of late. Their quality control went to shit on the z5p.

idk mane since iphone dropped analog audio connectivity to be able to compete with asians everyone kinda thought they might as well take the leap and things have been retarded. one might even argue that this started with samsung doing curvy displays for no good reason other than 'look what we can do'.

imo designs such as pic related are the ones that hold up best. straightforward, big display but no memes, fingerprint reader/physical button up front, expandable storage and discreet waterproofing.

>Choosing to use facebook bubbles
Why would anyone EVER.

Nice
I sold my Q10 to this place to upgrade to a passport
I saw they still had my Q10 so I might just buy it back from them

Using a moto z, bought it for around 300$ pretty comfy

I bought mine for a similar price and it's a great phone

Removable battery, big screen and it came with the bang and olufsen headphones

Yes, until it bootloops

N6P runs great with oreo.

well, i use mine since 06/16 and never had any battery issues.

I have a droid 4 running lineageOS and it runs buttery smooth. Keyboard feels good man.

I use a 16GB 2013 Nexus 5, a 2005 iPod Video 30GB, and a 2008 ThinkPad T400 with Libreboot and Fedora as my main portable computing devices. Just replace the batteries every couple of years and your electronics can easily last you decades, now more than ever since there haven't really been any massive CPU speed increases for a while. I plan to use this hardware until it breaks and I can't repair it. If there isn't anything I like better at that time I'll just buy the same devices again. I have no fucks left to give about mindless consumerism and I have no desire to go out and buy new toys all the time like a child.

TLDR just buy older devices and install custom software that isn't as resource hungry they'll work forever.