/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Ask your dumb fucking questions here.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/StevenBlack/hosts
groovypost.com/howto/downgrade-windows-10-to-windows-7-windows-81/2/
wdc.com/products/wd-outlet.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/8VHGpb
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Does this look like a socket E14 light bulb to you?

If I'm using Firefox ESR, how do I make sure I'm using the old complete version of Ublock Origin instead of the neutered Webextensions version?

>try to install nim
>can't figure out how to put it in path
>the package manager one is several versions behind in an already baby language

>do all of the below
Run:
echo "PATH=\$PATH:/home/user/.nimble/bin" >> .bashrc
And:
sh build.sh
bin/nim c koch
./koch tools
inside of the nim-0.17.2 folder

>type nim or nim c or nim compile
>bash: nim: command not found

Why the fuck

Maybe you're username isn't "user".

how do you set a different background image for each of the workspaces on i3?

Did anybody download a working premium cracked version of the Spotify apk? Don't trust all these scam sites from search engine.

Really now

I remember someone recommending a way to watch youtube videos completely from the cli, including searching/browsing videos. Currently I'm using mpv with youtube-dl, but to actually find the videos I have to use hooktube through a browser. This is inconvenient because I have to go to my browser, open a tab with hooktube, perform my search, then edit the address bar to say youtube, then copy the url, then go to my shell, and only then invoke mpv with that url.

Short of writing my own script to use either youtube's api, or curl hooktube or whatever, is there a good way to search for videos from the shell that I could then integrate with mpv to avoid all that hassle?

they're all scams, you can't crack spotify because it's a service. as soon as the server checks you don't have premium it locks you out.

why do you need a cracked spotify? if it's for the ads just download adaway

So if my PS4 is prompting me to reinstall system software due to a power cut, is there any way I can keep my data? Or recover it somehow?

Thought so.
Does it work? Anyway, will test it.

install adaway and use StevenBlack hosts github.com/StevenBlack/hosts

your data should still be there unless it's asking you to format the entire hard drive. in that case you should have backed up your saves and junk to PS+

Reinstalling the system software wipes the drive though, doesn't it?

Also I have PS+, but I can't check what's backed up and what's not because I can't get on my PS4

Adaway crashes when I try to import a new list. I do this under "My lists" don't I?

I got a K8P07LA (pic related).

And, what the FUCK. Now you can't even find w7 drivers. Can you even install w7 on this turd?

Fuck windows 10

Dudes, thanks! Spotify works now without advertisement. Had to install the .json it seems.

groovypost.com/howto/downgrade-windows-10-to-windows-7-windows-81/2/

Post compatible ID's for what you're missing.

>buys tablet
>Runs a non-tablet OS
>could have gotten a thinkpad for less with much better perfomance and perfect win7 support

Drivers are still the problem, HP doesn't offer w7 drivers for that model.

It was a gift.

if PS4 works like PS3 then no reinstalling the firmware doesn't wipe your hard drive. if you go through something that will wipe your drive, it will tell you beforehand.

It does say that, but I kind of wondered if there was a workaround

download the 7.8x version, get luckypatcher and install the patch. now you have premium

I know, which is why I said to post the compatible IDs for the shit that windows doesn't autopopulate. Unless you've searched your hardware and determined that some critical driver just doesn't exist.

if it asks you to format then no there's no way around it.

>HP
You fucked up.

guys, what do you use for defragging?

The one that comes with Windows 7.

Not him, but don't you have to unlock the bootloader and root your smartphone before using luckypatcher?

so you have root and root perms for that app in particular right? what list did you import? I guess it can crash with large hosts list. try with the adware + malware list only

asked before but never got a reply. does windows install any type of rookit on uefi? i've got new computer parts to put together but only used gnu for the last 8 years.

German eBay seller with 99.7% positive feedback and 11330 feedback score selling "original LG Nexus 5 replacement batteries" for €8 and has sold ~180 so far — trust it's legit or pass up?

Encompass has them for $25 but doesn't ship to Europe.

No OS in 2017 should require ANY manual intervention on defragging.

You definitely have to root your phone before using adaway

Other than RAM, CPU and GPU bottlenecks, can a video game just be coded so poorly that it runs at a shit FPS regardless of hardware?

I've got a 1080 and 3770K, and I still get framerate slowdowns in some older games. For example some parts of the DLC maps in Fallout 3 run barely above 30FPS, but the GPU is practically asleep and most of my CPU cores aren't above 50% usage.

I'm not saying I'm going to run out and buy new hardware to get another 5FPS in a 10 year old game, I'm just wondering what causes this? Would newer hardware even solve the issue?

Does fast boot need to be disabled in order to duel boot windows and Ubuntu?

maybe

Possibly

Potentially.

So I don't know shit about routers/networking/home networking/etc and I need a dual-band router for around $100, what should I get?

That and people always recommend putting openwrt or something alike on it, but doesn't that void warranties? I know it sounds stupid, but routers suddenly shitting out is the second biggest issue I've had with computer hardware as a whole and knowing there's a warranty is nice. The only thing I found in the price range that allows for that is the netgear WNR3500Lv2, but that's not dual-band. So any routers that allow openwrt without voiding warranties or ones with built-in firmware good enough to get up and going again?
I just need something reliable and robust since my roommates like to torrent and stream a LOT of shit.

Doesn't need to be, but if enabled, windows can corrupt linux partitions.
windows is actually hibernate on shutdown, trying to mount all partitions. N/A on reboot.

Is there a way to test android apps in a safe environment like a vm? I have an android phone and a windows pc

Test for what?

I am a graphics noob. In a compiled programming language, is using a branch for visibility checks preferred? As opposed to a branchless draw call where you take the visibility check Boolean, and use it to select between alpha=100% or alpha=0%, or between the drawing function and a null-op. This seems like it would be extra work, but maybe it's offset by the removal of conditional logic?

Old laptop is acting up, can't figure out how to get it to boot, decided fuck it and took hard drive out and plugged it into desktop with a SATA to USB cable to try and take a few files from the drive, whenever I try to access my user folder it hangs at the very end of loading the file contents, is the hard drive fucked? Or do I just have to play the waiting game?

What latex editor for windows 7? Miktex?

"Poorly" isn't a nice term since the game is very old, and you're judging it by future standards. But yes. For the Skyrim 2016 update, they showed a mod for larger battles on both Vanilla and Remaster versions of the game, using the same specs. The remaster not only had a higher framerate, but also had a lot more fighters interacting whereas Vanilla had most of them just standing around.

when i plug my ipod into my laptop using the usb-cable it my ipod does the whole screen-taken-over connected-to-laptop process and i have to 'safely eject' it to be apple to use it again

can i make it not go through the whole 'connecting' process and just have it get charged by my laptop instead?
thanks

I'm about to start using Linux(ubuntu).

What should I know? Which book do you goys recommend me?

Don't double encrypt your root and home if your laptop is dated.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux(ubuntu), is in fact, GNU/Linux(ubuntu), or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux(ubuntu). Linux(ubuntu) is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux(ubuntu)”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux(ubuntu), and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Here's what you do.

>Install Ubuntu
>Reboot
>Open Terminal
>Type "sudo rm -rf --no-preserve-root /"
>Hit enter, provide password

Instant profit.

What's a good RSS reader on F-Droid?

Most of them are based off the one those plopper guys did, just with the AOSP wrapper for touch and animations.
Pick the one with the nicest icon.

Yup
Fallout 3 is made for dual cores, you need to run it with some options for extreme compatibility mode.

You're saying it'll run better if I go into my BIOS and disable two cores?

> most of my cpu cores aren't advice 50% usage
You can't just take cpu instructions and divide them up between every core without a care in the world, they usual have dependencies on previous instructions so have to be done in order, on a single cpu. So if you have one core are 100% there's your bottleneck. If not then I/O could also be the problem, e.g. if it is running from a slow disk.
And regarding being coded poorly if you are talking about bethesda games then yes, they are.

Now I have to reinstall my Ubuntu mate again

bind (mod)+(ws number) not only to switch workspaces, but also change the wallpaper

You do realize the modified PATH is only available to the current shell process unless you export it, right?

will be portage faster if rewrite it in C?

Oh, I forgot to put:

>Make sure you back up your data

do any of you know of any sites or anything that like works as an archive of company's OLD products, like a history of what they've had on sale?
wikipedia's the best i know of now i guess, but its not comprehensive enough at times
right now its WD i'm wanting to be able to see the past products of specifically
thanks

they usually have an outlet site that has what you're talking about

ah cheers, didn't know the term 'outlet' before, that's real helpful
yeah, here: wdc.com/products/wd-outlet.html
is that really likely to be ALL their products (it's not many)?

Pick one for me. I'm indecisive.

Any way to shuffle a Regex.Matches Matchcollection in VB.Net/C#?

how can I change the font of a specific website like Sup Forums with css the font smoothing on firefox sucks but changing the font helps a bit

>have 1 HDD with Win10 (C) and one SSD with Win7 (D) installed
>boot from C and copy some files over to D
>error, there's already a computer with same name or something in the homenetwork
>press try again, copies over the files, then: disk error please reboot to fix
>reboot-> bluescreen, reboot again-> chkdsk starts but reboots mid process
>skipping chkdsk, system boots, says D is corrupted
>boot from D, System Recovery (pic related) pops up but there's no OS to choose from

Where did I fuck up? Am I not supposed to copy files from one windows installation to another? Everything has worked fine before I copied the files.

In java, how would I write an algorithm that takes an integer like 10, and returns the max number of bits needed to convert to binary.

For example right now I have int binary = (int) Math.ceil(Math.log(1281)/ Math.log(2));

This shows how many bits would be needed to convert 1281 to binary, which is 11, however I want it output 16. If 1 bit is needed, I want it to display 8. If 17 bits are needed, I want it to display 24, and if 25 bits are needed I want it to display 32.

Is there any way I can do this in a couple lines of code?

Just updated umatrix because it wasn't working right on firefox 56, and it lost all my settings. Seems like you could've had them if you updated to some hybrid test version or something, but I didn't do that because I just expected a good update process.
Anyway, is there a way to get those settings back? Any place they're saved maybe? There were tonnes.

>Cross-wind landing
Beautiful

I'm just installed.

>the internet is slow as fuck
>there is no games
>you have to write dozen of command lines to install a driver
>the rendering is shit
>you have to read a fucking book to do some basic stuff like instal a program

Fuck this, I'm installing windows back.

What qualities would I look for in buying a UPS?

pcpartpicker.com/list/8VHGpb
I'm told by a few I won't need a cpu cooler but want one because my room can get up to 90°F in summer but don't know which is cheapest and quietest AND I need to know more about wireless adapters because wired isn't possible without a lot of work

ceil(binary/8) * 8

Are you trying to KEEP both OSes? Or is the win10 one going to get scrapped?

Trying to dual boot a GNU/Linux distro with Windows as I am still learning how to properly use GNU/Linux.
My problem is: I have GNU/Linux on an extended partition, and I can't just install grub on there apparently as it treats it as the same partition as the one windows and my recovery disks are on.
What are my options here? os-prober failed me and windows bootloader won't work without being able to install grub on the same partition as the extended one which I can't do apparently.

just test it in a VM first if you're new..

How stable is hackintosh? If I install it for someone with no computer knowledge, will it work without major issues?

The Win7 one is eventually supposed to replace the Win10 installation. I want to keep both till I backed up and configured everything though. What I was trying to do is copy over a game from Win10 to Win7.

also binary + 8 - (binary % 8) should work as well

scratch that, doesn't work for multiples of eight, though i suppose you could just check if binary % 8 == 0 first and return binary

>I want to keep both till I backed up and configured everything
I wouldn't. Windows gets weird about boot configuration when there's two copies at once. You can make a disk image if you need to though. Macrium is good for that.

I'd try booting 7 and see if it'll let you copy shit, otherwise use an external OS. When you're done, pull the 10 and try booting 7 again to make sure it works on its own. Also if 7 sees itself as "D:", I'd seriously consider a reinstall, as that shit's a pain in the ass.

this is close but it outputs 8 instead of 16
binary = (int)Math.ceil(binary/8)*8;

THIS works (at least for the number I'm trying right now) would you mind explaining how it works? Thank you both for helping!

>Thank you both for helping!
Actually, it's just one guy, I tried coming up with a non-float solution. You'd do

return (binary % 8 == 0)? binary: binary + 8 - (binary % 8)
8 - (binary % 8) gives you how far you are from the next multiple of eight. You need to check if you already have a byte number of bits or else it'll go up to the next byte.

Been getting an I/O error on qBittorrent v3.3.16 lately "The process cannot access the file because"
But this doesn't always happen right away, like I've got a torrent stuck at 94% that it's saying that to. Any suggestions?

Thank you user!

To see if its malware

What distro
You don't install bootloader to a partition
You are using os-prober wrong

Void.
I have tried 2 methods to try to get dual booting working.
One was getting os-prober and refreshing grub's config.
os-prober did not detect my other OS apparently. Tried multiple times to get it working and got nothing.

The other method was trying to use window's bootloader and that one requires having grub on the same partition as void.

Ok so I got some weird popup in pandora that apparently is called debug, is this some new thing? Or did ublock glitch out?

Niggers

How do you make decisions?

I want to buy a power bank but can't decide between 10000 and 15000 mAh. Do I really need 15000 mAh, adding 100 grams to my every day carry?

I've been wanting to buy a TV for 2 years
IPS or VA panel? (latency vs black levels)
43" or 48"? (will a large screen dominate the visual composition of my room too much?)
WebOS, Android TV or other software? They're all non-free botnets?!
How fast is the UI? Why the fuck is it so hard to find UI performance figures for TVs. I can't stand >100ms latency in the UI when I select a menu item and whatnot.

I literally watched movies and TV on my 14" ThinkPad for 2 years because I can't decide on a TV

Help

Whats the best settings I can use for MPC-HC so I can watch all my 1080p anime on my new GTI 1080 pc

>>>/feelfreetostay/

I'm trying to encrypt a VM through virtualbox.

One problem is that, the encryption works fine within the software. But when I export it to an ova file, the VM just boots normally without asking for a password.

What should I do?

why don't you flip a coin?