/pcbg/ PC Building General

General:
>If your build isn't completely Poverty-tier, consider an SSD. Consider buying a large SSD for the price of an HDD + SSD, and saving 50$ to buy an HDD
>If your build needs Wifi, you will need a Wireless Network Adapter. General rule of thumb is more than 2 antennas. 2.4ghz or 5.
>Windows 7 with RYZEN setup tips
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>Remember, we're not here to build a PC for you, we're here to help you
>View this handy guide on picking parts (MSRP)
logicalincrements.com/
>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>If your part list needs a monitor, include information like response time, refresh rate, and resolution
>State the budget & currency for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaymen, Video Editing, etc
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on other channels)
youtube.com/watch?v=VhdV2wv3jQs

CPUs:
No i5's unless discounted
>A8-9600 (APU) - Poverty-tier builds (At this point, if it's for gaymen, you should just buy an Optiplex and put a GPU in)
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (~500)
>R3 1300x - Gap between 1200 & Ryzen 5, consider a 1400 if you need multithreading
>R5 1600 - Best bang for your buck with gaymen & mixed uses, 1600x if you don't like overclocking
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy multi-tasking & mixed uses, not just for gaymen

GPUs:
Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up, using an old GPU or waiting to build may be a good idea right now.
>1050 TI - 1080p 60hz at low/medium settings
>RX 580 - 1080p 60hz at high/ultra settings, supports Freesync
>1060 6GB - 1080p 60hz at high/ultra settings, supports G-Sync
>1070/Vega 56 - 1080p 144hz at high/ultra settings, or 1440p 60hz at high/ultra settings
>1080 TI - 1440p 144hz at high/ultra settings, or 4k 60hz at high/ultra settings

RAM:
RAM costs so much because newer phones use DDR4 memory.
>Check your Mobo's QVL
>Ryzen CPUs benefit a lot from high speed RAM, 3200MHz is ideal

Other urls found in this thread:

ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/ayoyom/saved/8JPXHx
pcpartpicker.com/list/2kKqCy
pcpartpicker.com/list/gydbm8
microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade
techpowerup.com/reviews/
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/VbMbm8
youtube.com/watch?v=yyw7coOhN78&t=506s
youtu.be/X4FdhgSUKuA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

1070 is still good. The 1070 Ti is NVIDIA's attempt to invalidate the Vega 56 for good.

The 1080 is what, ~15%-20% better than the 1070? This new 1070 Ti will be a cut down 1080 basically so I'm expecting ~10% better performance gains compared to the 1070. Vega 56 is slightly better than the 1070 by I think ~5%-10% but at the cost higher much higher power usage, usually when overclocking.

Therefore, I think it's safe to assume that the 1070 Ti will match or outperform the Vega 56. They'll also release right around when Vega AIB cards are supposed to drop, in late October/early November. NVIDIA likely won't have stock issues though.

tl;dr
1070>Vega 56=/=1070 Ti

I'll mostly likely be buying a 1070 Ti because I'm using an R9 280 atm.

Forgot pic

What is the X470 boards that are supposed to ship with the ryzen refresh going to have over the current X370 boards?

ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/ayoyom/saved/8JPXHx

I'm doing my first SFF build, how's this look? Is 100W of power headroom enough? Coffee lake is nonexistent in Canada, and in any event I don't want to pay for a Z series mobo

>rx 570
yes I'm aware it was a dumb purchase for what I paid for it

New vs Old pc, New PC I just built this past week, old one was a prebuilt that I got when I was young and dumb and didn't know all that much, about 6 years ago, so this is the first PC I've bought and built myself.

What sorts of component temps should I start getting concerned about? I fell into a lot of bad habits with the old machine, often leaving it on 24/7 for several months.

What should I DO with the old shitbox? It still works relatively fine, but its pretty old, some of the jacks and ports are sorta fucked (front especially but thats a given), the internals look like a nightmare to even think about pulling apart, and I'm not sure if I have anything to do with a tiny microATX computer off the top of my head. Sell it to some idiot? For how much?

can i put a pot of stew on my cpu instead of a heat sink?

Overclock a 1600 instead of getting a 1600x, and does that motherboard provide anything that cheaper ones don't?
Anyway, get a 650w PSU.

>What should I DO with the old shitbox
Do a clean install and give it away.

install linux on it and use it for everything but gaming

I would not bother with the X ryzens, to get the most out of them, you would want better vrm's to hold higher clocks better which are only found on x370 mobo's and then on top of that you would want a better cooling setup and a higher quality psu. not worth it

x is 5 dollars cheaper than regular 1600 because they weren't selling at 300CAD

I was thinking of doing that for some of my nieces and nephews, but they're like, 8 years old at most and mostly interested in their godforsaken iPhones their dumb parents gave them.
I do intend to give away the 10+ year old fujitsu LCD monitor that I used with it for the entire time to someone young in my family, or just keep it for my grandkids as a relic of the past.

I may as well just install loonucks on this PC if that was what I was going to do.

Go for it, then.

Sup Forums tricked me and i bought a ryzen yesterday. Want to know if theres any way to upgrade to win10 for free still avaible.

>RAPTORTOOTH BALLISTIX VENGEANCE RAM
kek

going for a TR 1950x upgrade. keeping:
case - p400
ssd - intel 520
ram - 32gb ddr4-3000

getting the second fury for xfire
getting more ram just cause.
not sure on mobo yet, waiting till the x399 designare comes out.

pcpartpicker.com/list/2kKqCy

pic related is current specs

you can use windows 10 for free you just cant change the background

Just curious, why do you need such a powerful pc?

If the 8400 isn't at least put alongside the 1600 soon, then it's proof that this is just AMD shilling general and not serious buying advice.

If you have the money, wouldn't it be a better idea to get B-die?

pcpartpicker.com/list/gydbm8
R8 my poverty build

>no mention of coffee lake
>vega 56

fuck off AMD shill

Don't but thw extra fans if it's a poverty build. 2 fans is enough, and skilled placement of one fan (not thst this is a good idea) can balance CPU/GPU temps.

vns. vns are insane my friend.
is there a list of all the b die ram available?

We need to genocide these AMD shills.

I think there is a Reddit post, but anything 3200MHz and CL14 is B-die, including Flare X and Trident Z (which has 4x8 and 2x16 kits).

i was really hoping to not have to replace all my ram. oh well.
the flare x kits look ugly af though.

It hasn't been serious buying advice for quite a while. The OP was recommending the RX580 while it was almost 400USD. Some stupid NEET neckbeard writes the OP. You can spot him because he spouts the Intel housefire and delid memes while using all lowercase and almost no punctuation.

Fury CF is retarded. mGPU of any type is retarded.
I'm laughing at your monitors though.

You might check out the accessibility upgrade.
microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade
It's on the honor system as far as I know

Fileserver. Not to be mean but your new build sucks. New i7 8700K that got released yesterday has 6c/12t for $15 more than old i7.

You really need to pick up a 144Hz 1440p monitor, otherwise that GTX 1080 will just go to waste

You don't have to, but if you want to overclock your RAM to some pretty impressive (and downright insane if you are crazy enough) extents then it's a must.

So I hooked up a new 1080 ftw and the computer shut down once and won't turn back on. When I put back the 770 it works fine. Is it a power supply issue? I have a 650w platinum. Or is the card just defected out the box?

Does RAM matter to coffee lake more or less than ryzen?

>I'm laughing at your monitors though
1440/4k is a meme.

Could be DOA, or a driver issue.

Coffee Lake has been released! Benchmarks / Reviews
techpowerup.com/reviews/

>tfw talk myself into dropping my ssd so I can afford a r5 1600 over a r3 1200

did i do good /pcbg/?

If anybody is interested, I have a challenge:
Build the most aesthetic build that you possibly can on pcpartpicker (AIOs finally have a use!).

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/VbMbm8

For my render mini workstation. Thinking of getting a 1700 instead and also considered a 8700k, but its impossible to get right now

>Vega 56
But why? Unless your prices and availabilty are different in Australia. Better RAM, maybe?

I can't imagine using a PC without an SSD on a daily basis these days. I even bought one for my mother's laptop because I use it occasionally and it was insufferable with a hard drive. Which isn't to say you should buy a garbage CPU to accomodate one... but you should either save up more or make it the very next thing you buy at least.

asus, gigabyte, or msi mobo
3200 ram
hard drive
anything but vega
do you need tg?
evga or seasonic psu

you can always buy a ssd later, but how do you not already own one is questionable.

Absolutely. You can always get an SSD down the road. Although the argument could be made that you could buy the SSD now along side the R3-1200, and buy a used 1600/1700 for dirt cheap when Ryzen+ launches.

What's a better rendering card for the price then?

Sort of seems like brand loyalty, why not Vega? No hard drive because we have a ftp server. Tg is purely for looks I agree.

Why not just an SSHD?

the brand loyality for mobos and psus are for good reason
power draw greater than a 1080 ti, performance of a 1060 6gb, price of a 1080

what is the best GPU that fits with the cost beneffit of an Intel pentium g4560?

1070, or 1070ti when that's out? I don't know your prices, like I said.
Those are only good for basic users.

Don't buy that if you want a GPU.

Probably not. What your graphics card?

No, 1440p isn't a meme. A great laugh is two old 4K cards paired up for 1080p 60Hz though.

Try a difference PCIe slot

R5 1600 + 1050Ti is retarded. Just get the R3 1200 because you're going to be bottlenecked by your graphics card in all scenarios. You'll also have a better upgrade path awaiting you when refined Zen CPUs come out

Probably not as much to Coffee Lake as compared to Ryzen, but Kaby Lake really liked fast RAM.

1050Ti

Anyone have experience setting up SSDs in a RAID configuration?

Any special considerations?

if you're on that much of a budget use the iGPU

you won't see any difference in FPS on anything more than a 1060

probably just get a 1050

Make sure to do backups, unless you're fine with losing data due to drive failure.

Bought a gtx970 phoenix today.
1060s are fucking overpriced in germany.
480s only used - starting 240€
580s 300€
970 brand new 199€

I only do normie stuff plus 1080p 60fps gaming with mostly non-AAA titles.
I am hyped for my new gpu since my last one was a hd radeon 6950.

Will surely last a few years for 1080p.

If you don't have money for an SSD, it's the best option period. Gamer or basic

Assuming RAID 0. Other forms it's different.

>he fell for the G4560 meme

Shut up, retards. The G4560 can run all games at playable framerates

The benchmark here shows it running a variety of titles at an average of 55FPS, and pairing it up with a 1050Ti would leave him GPU limited

If you're that poor just get an APU duder

Does my motherboard need to support different RAID configs, or can I buy a card for it?

Probably a 1060 at most.

>average
Doesn't factor stuttering, or the fact that you don't have an upgrade path.

I am not in a rush to build a PC

But if I had to anyway, should I just get intel's 8th gen desktop processor or wait for 9th gen on a 10nm dye?

>run your games at 1080p/60fps on ultra settings
>run your games at 720p/30fps on low settings

That's a tough choice.

Bristol Ridge is awful though, the iGPU is actually bottlenecked by the CPU.

Depends on what the hell you plan to do

what should I get then?

Only person who stutters here is you, and there are many CPUs above the G4560 that he could upgrade to. Wrong on both counts.

Ice Lake (10nm) or whatever AMD has at that time

Ryzen 3, probably.

Isn't that gaming performance though? Also I picked an Asus mobo..

1070 and 56 are the same price right now. More shader cores and bandwidth on the 56 and apparently the 64 has faster blendr rendering than a to so idk. Finding benchmarks on non games is an issue

The 4560 actually gets the highest fps in doom 2016, even beating the 8700k and 8400k

A raid card acts as the controller. Most boards support 1,0 and 10

>don't have an upgrade path
He can still upgrade to the 7700K.

What are the advantages of the other RAID modes?

They're just meming you. R3 1200 is a good option as well, but depending on your budget the G4560 is a great choice.

Check the benchmarks that other kind user posted.

>7700k
>Won't burn down your house
Not to mention only 4 cores

Be that as it may, it can still play games just fine for exactly the same price as said Pentium, and a better upgrade path to boot

Oh and also the RM series PSUs are seasonic PSUs you retard. Don't talk shit when you know nothing

Google it, also raid 0 isn't raid

>CORSAIR PSU is Seasonic PSU
>RAID 0 isn't RAID
hmmm

>it can still play games just fine
You. are. fucking. retarded.
youtube.com/watch?v=yyw7coOhN78&t=506s

You should ignore the AMD shills and look at objective benchmarks like and decide if that's acceptable performance for you.

The 7700K is perfectly fine at stock and destroys any Ryzen processor in gaming terms.

God, this thread really is infested with you guys. Actually recommending Bristol Ridge over the G4560. A Bulldozer-based pile of absolute shit that nobody should touch with a barge pole and wouldn't have been "fine" for gaming five years ago, let alone today.

>b-b-but the upgrade path!!!
He wouldn't be considering this class of CPU if he was going to be upgrading to a hexa core in the near future. How long is he supposed to make do with Bulldozer trash tier performance before this magical upgrade happens? Why would he do that, rather than getting a perfectly fine experience for his money right now? Why waste money on literal shit like Bristol Ridge when he's on a budget?

To be fair to him
>Raid 0
>redundant array of independent disks
>redundant
>raid 0

>exactly the same price as said Pentium,
4560 prices are inflated due to high demand, the 4600 is cheaper at $87 hilariously. And it will still play games like trash, you shouldn't pay $110 for a CPU that doesn't play games well.

ok.
this is true.

Looks fine to me, champ

youtu.be/X4FdhgSUKuA

>get an R7
>3.0 Ghz
>can't play any games
I think I fucked up.

Learn to overclock, and yes you can you fucking retard

>skip ahead in the video slightly
>Doom at 768p, hovering around 45fps
>one of the most well-optimised games on the market
>fine

Fuck off.

>can't play games

Huh? I have a 1700X which is only 0.2ghz faster than the 1700 out of the box (boosts all threads to 3.4ghz) and I run games perfectly fine. Pushing 1440p 60fps easy. Unless you're playing on some high refresh rate monitor and were hoping for 144+ fps. Then yea. you done goofed.

>Tries to nitpick 1 game out of 30
>Knows pentium igpu could never touch that

Getting a little butt chapped over there?

Can I OC it to play 144+?

Will that save me?

I guess I need to buy a liquid cooler or something.

OC it you you moron.

>AIO

You really know nothing. They're only useful for aesthetics.

768p on medium is fine to you? The other user isn't going to be using the integrated graphics anyway. He wants to pair it with a dedicated graphics card, which means that the G4560 is FAR FAR better, and will allow him good framerates at 1080p High.

Quit posting.

No one's talking about the Pentium iGPU, retard.

>You really know nothing. They're only useful for aesthetics.
O-of course I know nothing, or else I wouldn't be asking here!

The Pentium+GTX 1030/RX 550 will annihilate the APU. 720p/768p medium settings on almost every game is pretty bad dude, it's looks like it performs worse than the Xbone.

I'm new to PC building, and I'm going for an intel build.

My question is: Is there a motherboard that would support an Intel Pentium G4600 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor, and would allow me to upgrade to a I7-7700K later on?

I'm doing an entry level Intel build on Pcpartpicker, and the MSI - B250M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard was suggested, but I heard you can't upgrade to a 7700K later on.

Thanks

A liquid cooler is lost on Ryzen in my opinion. Just get a decent single tower cooler. Even a CM Hyper 212 EVO is more than enough to get a high end OC on Ryzen. Especially considering Ryzen can do a 3.6ghz OC real easy on the stock cooler.

As far as trying to get really high FPS with Ryzen, you're kind of limited. That's the one category that Intel excels at is much higher FPS ceiling. The only thing you can do is get a decent OC on your 1700, and turn down the AA/shadows in your games to boost FPS. Either that or get a freesync/G-sync monitor at 75hz and you'll never see the difference.

NH-D15 outperforms AIOs consistently. If that doesn't fit in your setup look at the NH-D15S which is the same but shaped differently.
There are of course other options for Ryzen (which is cooler than a lot of Intel overclockables), and you can explore reviews.

If it's all you can afford? Yes...yes it is

>You really know nothing. They're only useful for aesthetics.
And clearance issue. Something like a NH-D15 or Le Grand Mucho will outperform most AIO's but they also take up a fuckload of space.