Why does Portugal eat more rice than the rest of Europe?

Why does Portugal eat more rice than the rest of Europe?

rice niggers of europe

First to reach india

because we're fucking brown,we're so fucking brown, jesus christ everytime i touch white objects I stain them with my browness i can never fully clean myself for fuck sake we're so fucking brow

here's the reason,are you happy?can you fuck off now?

I... I'm sorry Alberto

It's called Poortugal for a reason.

>The Moors brought Asiatic rice to the Iberian Peninsula in the 10th century. Records indicate it was grown in Valencia and Majorca.

>ricetugal

so you be sayin... we wuz emperors n shiet?

>chinktugal

To give the stereotypically boring German answer: It's probably hot enough there to grow it

looks like cat food

>German "humor"

That's not true.

Also, sardines are always served with potatoes

Any other countries only make porridge out of rice and sprinkle sweat things like cinnamon or blueberry soup on it? Also it's seasonal and usually eaten only during christmas season.

>everything that isn't massively processed terrifies the american

Every other Nordic country

Well obviously, I'm asking countries that aren't identical copies of funland.

>blueberry soup

But... you have REAL porridge

actually it is
we're number two in rice consumption in europe

rice was eaten in the iberian peninsula before we reached china. the spanish have some traditional dishes with rice too.
but because the spanish got the americas and we got the rest of the world, we were more exposed continually to rice, while they started eating potato and other stuff from the americas
that's it basically

After some reading up it would seem that a lot of countries, in all parts of the world, have some dessert variant of rice pudding.

>blueberry soup
Is this similar to what we eat with our rice pudding? I can't find a good translation for it but it literally translates into fruit sauce (saftsås).

yes we have that here we call it arroz doce, literally sweet rice

Rice porridge is a seasonal delicacy silly.
I meant traditionally rice is only used for porridge.
Also karelian pastries.

>traditionally rice is only used for porridge
lol why don't you make more stuff out of it? it's a great base for any dish involving fish

That looks like a disgusting version of a rather nice dish.

We also eat tons of fish. I think we are the non-island country that eats more fish per capita, or were at some point.

>involving fish
Fish goes with potatoes mate. Fish + rice is weird unless the fish is fried.

>not eating sardines with tomato rice like in OP's pic
You're missing out buddy

Batatas cozidas>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>merda>>>>>>>>>arroz acido do tomate

Isn't saftsås just crushed berries? Those would obviously go well with it.

actually most of our old traditional dishes had some sort of combination of rice+fish or other meats+seasonal vegetables (beans, chessnuts, etc)
potatoes only got popular around the 18th century
the more you know

Jaquinzinhos are a lot better with tomato rice.

Also, boiled/grilled fish are always served with potatoes, mate, what are you talking about? Even bacalhau that has a million and a half recipes is never served with rice.

Há arroz de tomate e arroz de tomate. Também achava que odiava até ter comido do segundo.

Historically rice was a rare ingredient so it was used sparingly, like making a sweet christmas porridge.

uh that's interesting. maybe you traded it with us or the spanish

I've never actually eaten jaquinzinhos with anything else.
But yes boiled and grilled fish is usually served with potatoes. Although i've seen codfish rice somewhere.

It's sauce (sås) made out of squash/cordial (saft (mehu, I believe)) by heating it and adding potato flour.

I know memes and all, but her are some foods that wouldn't exist without us:
Curry
Crepes
Tempura

We literally brought the spicy chilli peppers to India, and tea to England.

Yes, but not the modern incarnation of it all. We also used to eat a lot of chestnuts.

Does it look like pic related?

Rice goes well with every dishes.

t. Asian rice eater

Things that don't grow here are sometimes associated with special times of the year, like here we traditionally have oranges during Christmas/winter time, dunno why or how that came about, anyone else having that too?

>we're number two in rice consumption in europe
It helps that we serve rice with other starches in the same dish, like fries (Bitoque), beans (Feijoada) or even boiled potatoes (Cozido à Portuguesa).

Also, Arroz de Pato (duck rice) is probably the most famous rice dish, and it is delicious.

Looks like dog's food

I eat rice every day, it's the staple food of most brazilians diet

this is absolutely true

Não deves julgar comida pelo aspecto

mata-te

Oranges are usually ripe in the fall if I'm not mistaken. We eat it a lot because it grows well here.

>t. atrasado mental que nunca comeu arroz de pato

Brazil really is the prodigal son, food-wise. Most of your traditional cuisine seems very "Portuguese on Vacation" type of deal to me. Your Feijoada is like a slightly more tropical version of ours, for example.

Nordicks too. And more "exotic" spices like cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, saffron and so on are also associated with Christmas.

literally grow all of those in my mom's backyard

Sorry dawgs, your food looks delicious, you're good boys, pls don't bit me

that's an interesting take, I don't know much about portuguese foods though, just that you guys eat a lot of fish

Yoo that rice looks good OP. Love saucy things. It's a shame I'm not a seafood fan, though. Would love to eat whatever that dish is.

This county is practically dead for 4 months a year though. Not a whole lot of plants that can take that.

replace tapioca/mandioca with rice/wheat
amazonian fruits with european fruits and some arabic fruits
and you got portugal

Yeah, you guys sort of skipped the fish. But summer time would also include a lot of grilled stuff nowadays, so it sort of fits the bill.

Fish is usually an everyday thing. All middle/high schools alternate the menu between fish and meat every day, and Uni's always have a fish choice by law, I believe.

But on vacation we usually grill a lot like you guys do, and yours is a much lighter version of ours, so it's like your cuisine is permanently festive for us. For example, pic related is our feijoada, which looks a bit sadder but it's actually delicious. I like it better but yours is a great variation of it.

Yeah. Without meaning to joke or judge, you guys got the shortstick on food. I've seen you pour ketchup on a lot of stuff just to add flavour. Mediterranean people have it better in that regard if nothing else.

>which looks a bit sadder
Laughed at that , but it's kinda true.

Wew, the most "exotic" (for us) stuff that grows well here are figs (easily unprotected) and olives (need lots of protection, every few years even active heating).
The former are really nice, fruiting two times per season here (July and October) and are totally undemanding and disease-resisting plants, which already carry lots of fruit in the second year after planting. Most gardens in the village have some shrubs of them nowadays (pic related from a house yard a couple streets away), mine are still just a year old though but growing quickly, can't wait for first harvest probably next year

Looks like barf

Most our northern food isn't particularly good-looking, but it's very tasty.

Pic related is the Brazilian version, aka "Manel do Talho de Férias" with the farofa. It doesn't look as sad, and it's also delicious. They also serve orange slices with it, but I couldn't find it.

lots of nonhuman nonwhites in this thread

Looks like diarrhea

i love me some figs. we have quite a lot of them too. and citrines.

that looks very oily

It's fatty but not oily

goddamn it's been a while since I've eaten feijoada. it's too delicious.

nah it just has a lot of watery sauce

It's more watery, in that particular pic. I wouldn't call it oily like the Brits have it, but I can see where you're coming from. Our food isn't particularly oily or greasy.

Its mostly the bean and meat juice and some olive oil, probably. To eat it you separate bits of rice into the meat/beans/sauce and eat it soaked. Bretty good. There's some chouriço and a lot of discarded pig parts like ears and fattier parts (it was prepared during rough times to make use of all the meat from the pig).

Regardless, it's absolutely GOAT hangover food.

feijoada is literally prepared with the water the beans drop

>There's some chouriço and a lot of discarded pig parts like ears and fattier parts
*that add a lot of meaty/spicy flavour and make it less greasy.

do you want me to show you my cats food

Erry Christmas, never thought of where it might have come from

Vitamin C is always good for colds. Maybe from that?

Also, their season goes from November to March, usually.

i thought rice was european tho?

what

From what I know, citrus plants flower and fruit whole year round in their tropical native area

it's east asian

Someone has to do it, even if marginally. What's it to you?

Because I've seen Portuguese posters talking about how much rice they eat, how they eat rice with every meal. No other country every says things like that. It's not "marginally," you are a European country with a Rice Culture.

We eat rice with almost every meal here too

We also eat more fish than everyone else.

In fact, growing up we probably eat more fish than rice.

We usually rotate potatoes, pasta and rice so as not to repeat them on consecutive days.

Rice's a perfectly good starch.

I'm not going to dignify that with a response.

what?

I can't believe that an American of all people is mocking a country that uses a Mediterranean diet. And one that doesn't spam tomatoes willy-nilly at that.

It's not like Portuguese dishes all use rice, it's just something we eat that's easy to cook and to store for later meals. We don't see it as specifically Portuguese. We eat a shit ton of soups and bread and fish and potatoes that we consider so much more "Portuguese". Rice is basically our ramen noodles aside from a couple of dishes.

Even the dishes that use it usually mix it with beans or as a secondary starch.