/hpg/ Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

my.mixtape.moe/gliwnk.mp3
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6lnyd8/ama_request_nick_t_from_schiit_tech_support
youtube.com/watch?v=cXviVVXJFRo
youtube.com/watch?v=XZVj1_xBxdU
youtube.com/watch?v=LpIa5HGSKwI&list=PLzPDhruj2hCoUqgaA9NUIp6ryCo8ZAonO
youtube.com/watch?v=soKjmYvmSe0
aes.org/e-lib/collections/?ID=5
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

what is the second best headphone behind the ma900?

HD25

It's nice seeing MA900 get love here lately. Very underappreciated gem.

My ATH M40x's broke a few months ago and I've been using the IEMs I keep for my phone (1more quaddrivers) in the time between. They've been alright, but the build quality and durability isn't great and I've had some issues with them recently, so I want to push them to secondary again as soon as possible.

I have ~$150 to part with and I'd like to get some really comfortable over ears headphones, preferably something that's really good for video media stuff (I watch a lot of movies and shows, more than music or gaming or anything else). I don't want to buy an amp or anything to get the most out of them, either.

Beyerdynamic DX160 IE to replace Xiaomi Hybrid earphones, do they have a considerably stronger isolation so sound won't leak outside? Don't want all this J-core being heard anywhere near my earphones.

How did they break?

Custom Studio

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

What's /hpg/ listen to?
my.mixtape.moe/gliwnk.mp3

The plastic housing just above the turning axis (the thing that connects the band to the actual cans) broke on one side and eventually the other. Lasted for about a year before this happened, and then an extra year with those breaks with some duct tape, but eventually they gave out from it.

The 4 profile sound slider system seems like a gimmick to me, does it actually do anything?

It changes the amount of bass, and yes it works.

Change Log:
- Added data for HD 650, ATH-R70x, and PM-3
- Reclassify PM-3 as Amp No

Additional comments:
I'll add the K702. The K714 is also a candidate. The initial guide is nearly complete and will enter a second pass refinement stage. Recommend headphones to be added/removed, upgrade/downgrade suggestions, and correction of data.

>K714
Wat? If you meant K712, I wasn't aware you'd be advertising your website on Worldstarhiphop.

Yeah the K712, my bad.

Why is it that every one of these threads has a sexy anime foot in the OP?

what dac should i get, my budget is 3k

SCHIIT YGGDRASIL, $2.3K

Just got a schitt fulla 2, my first amp/dac.

If I rotate the jack while its plugged into the device, the audio kinda cuts off randomly. Sometimes I won't get anything out of the left ear, sometimes right. The headphones have to be plugged in a certain way, rotate it in any way and the sound goes weird.

Did I get a dud?

No, their website is unprofessional and full of smugness. Also I heard they cancelled a dudes order in the middle of shipping and threatened to call the police on the guy after they automatically refunded him his money, then they gloated about it. What a shitty way to treat your customers.

Not surprised given their support is shit, their products are shit.

>k712

>a candidate

so you add the k702 but not the 712, ,even though they are not that super different in sound? Makes no sense. It's a good headphone. No candidate stage required

Is surround virtualisation for games a meme? I think I tried the Razer shit virtualisation thing once and don't remember it being any good, is there any virtualisation software worth using? CSGO uses something called HRTF and it actually works breddy gudd, but I think thats different since it's done by the game engine itself.

My headphone is HD800 if it matters.

Should I pull the trigger on the HD600?

budget?
>Is surround virtualisation for games a meme?
no, it's technological progress

>Budget
Eh, Location
Australia.
>Source
Ipod classic or mobile phone (ipod preferred but it doesn't have bluetooth so that may cause a problem).
>Type of headphone
Full sized over-ear cordless (bluetooth? or are there other options).
>Open or closed
Closed.
>Comfort level
Maximum comfy.
>Sound signature
Whatever, warm or something. I listen to mostly electronic and hip-hop.
>Past headphones
AKG K240 Mk ll. Koss Portapros. Assortment of chink iems.

The idea is to use these for flights or other situations in which cordless and closed would be nice. They are not to replace my AKGs/home use.

>Budget
$150 USD Max.
>Source
Prefer Bluetooth otherwise they'll be plugged into my phone (S7 Edge)
>Type
Over-ear only
>Closed
Because I like to mute out my surroundings
>As comfy as possible while not looking ridiculous
>Past
Beats Studio 2.0 Wireless
Various earbuds...

AT M40x

What's a good, relatively cheap USB interface for an XLR microphone?
/prod/ over at Sup Forums suggested one of either the Focusrite Scarletts or the Steinberg UR series. But they also said that this might be a good place to ask.

>Focusrite Scarletts or the Steinberg UR series
Sup Forums was right for once.

There's a lot of different options around that price point, are those really the best ones in terms of audio quality?
Which one specifically would you recommend out of the two?

Talk me out of it, I want a good "portable" set up to use when i go out to sea and this is literally the best money can buy right now.

I thought you were wrong, but is true. The K712 has both warm bass and spiky high-mid and treble. Doesn't look balanced at all.

Oh, the K702 is the same but more unbalanced. At least the K702 is cheap.

Extra comparison for science. K702 vs DT 880

I'm guessing you have a lot of expendable money so go ahead with it anyways.

i've never put it more than $200 into IEMs because I imagine there's only so much you can do with tiny drivers. They've always been a compromise to me in favour for sound isolation and portability, so to spend more than $1000 just to end up with compromised sound anyways? If you end up hearing heaven with this setup, do tell us.

>Nickelback

Do you hate yourself?

Looking at the campfire Lyra 2 used. Are they a meme, if so what are the best universal in ear monitors for $500-700? Below that price point is also fine.

weekends are the best.

The Vega is the sort of set you would look for if you wanted something bass heavy.
The Hugo isn't well suited for most IEMs.

fiio d3 dac + the rest on hookers

I don't need anything 'portable' I have (meme) speakers and have no plans to downgrade to headphones.

>Tidal meme

Can someone please explain to me why people purport tidal is better than spotify in any way? Higher resolution and more detailed shit is still going to sound shit. Unless you have cans/speakers that hide and colour any defencies in the recording, the masters Spotify and tidal offer are going to sound crap compared to the original pressings. Case in point the version of brother in arms on tidal/spotify. Both are the dogshit 1996/1997 remaster. I've asked a friend who has a tidal subscription to check multiple albums for me and it appears that all of them are either remasters or not specified (usually even worse in that case) oh and yeah goes without saying, you should focus on curating highest quality source files, as in finding out the fucking provenance and making sure you arent listening to shit.

still waiting for more dac suggestions, so far the only things people have reccomened to me are schiit gungnir multibit / yggdrisal (not going with schiit for above stated reasons), chord hugo 2 (seems like a better choice, tho i dont like the idea of receiving a defective unit and having to ship it back to the uk), and other chinkshit like audio gd and the like.

Do you care for tons of bass? That's what most of the Campfire line tends to, particularly the dynamic ones.

3k is way more than you could really use as a consumer. You may as well get something else in the process.
There were the pro audio suggestions from the last thread. Stuff from Oppo, Benchmark, and so on.

I don't think the ATH-M40x is "Neutral w/ gentle bass boost". The bass boost isn't that gentle, and I consider you should warn about the over 10 kHz boost, which can be piercing at loud volume.

Anyways it's a good sounding and enjoyable headphone.

>defective schitt fulla 2

They won't do Shit about it

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6lnyd8/ama_request_nick_t_from_schiit_tech_support

>chartfag
are you really going to claim you can hear a 5dB difference spread accross thousands of Hz

I had these headphones for two weeks, I returned them because the isolation was not enough for street usage. The bass and high treble boost of these headphones are easily perceptible. In fact, I searched for the measurements after hearing the headphones.

I was used to the DT 880 when I did that purchase, and if some people say the DT 880 are slightly v-shaped with some treble emphasis, the M40x feel a lot more v-shaped.

Are you plugging a 3.5 into a 6.5 jack? if so try a different jack. I have had that problem with multiple amps over the years. Some jacks make noise and some flat out don't work for some reason. Buy a really cheap one from somewhere and a decent one for a few pounds/dollars and if the problem persists then you probably have a defective unit. You will get a replacement hassle free. Ignore those shills.

Hello, Schiit PR

Shut up you autistic mong

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

Bonus vid: youtube.com/watch?v=cXviVVXJFRo

DT1990, K702 and ADI-2 pro
LCD-X are on their way

What headphones is this? If you're using a 3.5" to 6.5" adapter, ensure it's completelly connected and/or throw it to the garbage and get a new one. That's about the most common issue.

Some user a while ago was having issues with his HD600's original adapter. He hadn't pressed the 3.5" into the 6.5" completely (it clicks in place). He was happy plenty once he realized his mistake.

As for bad contact between 6.5" and fulla2, that's seriously unlikely. These jacks are huge for a reason; the contact is excellent.

>HD600
Yes.

>headphone virtualization
If you're on windows 10, right click on the audio icon @ system tray.

Yes, it has headphone virtualization support built in since one or two win10 release builds ago.

I use tidal because I have 3 years of hifi service for free. Thanks Sprint.

Painted my modi black and stuck it on top of my pc tower hidden away since the stack looks too big imo, especially when one half is a bit of a meme desu. I sold my magni 2 a few days ago and I have the magni 3 on the way because fuck it I can afford it and it looks sexy. The EU site are going to be sold out for a few weeks so I bought it from the US store. It's still worked out cheaper than the EU store (possible import tax will bring it to roughly the same price) but it's going to arrive on monday. 1-3 days delivery, US to UK. Crazy.

youtube.com/watch?v=XZVj1_xBxdU
>painted my modi black
wtf.
>sold magni2, ordered magni3
Christ. Report back whether you notice any sonic difference (psychological or not, probably the former).
Re: Magni2, I'd rather give it away to a friend/family than sell it. I'm very happy with it.

Clear the way.
Best price/performance headphones coming through

>DT770
You've mispelt TrustyFucks

I absolutely loved the magni 2 and I'm not expecting to hear a difference, I just like the finish on it, the same as your uber, and it has a bigger volume knob+ outputs for speakers should I ever care in the future.I hope to keep this setup for many years to come, I should never need anything else really. The modi..yeah I painted it black and temporarily stuck it to the top/back of my pc case so it's hidden away under my desk. I'm treating it as an external audio card that I'll sit on top of whichever pc I have in the future. I much prefer just one unit sitting on my desk and the magni 3 will look glorious.

Can dynamic or balanced armature IEMs get damaged if they're played at max volume? I plugged in my Chinese $300 hybrid IEM into a Chord Hugo2 and accidentally pressed play with the volume on max a few times like an idiot. I ask because I own two Apple Earpods and I always use one and it definitely sounds different than my minty mint other one.

>I just like the finish on it, the same as your uber
But better! And cheaper!
Sigh... I got my stack january or so.
Now watching pic related. S2 ep1.

>But better! And cheaper!

Exactly, I haven't had my magni2 long but I haven't had to pay much for the 3 after selling my old one so I don't mind. If I was you I'd be happy with your stack..or sell the magni for the 3 since they would match. I plan on having my modi 2 and magni 3 for a very fucking long time, if not forever, but it obviously never works out like that.

I have no idea what you're watching because I don't watch that type of anime, and rarely do in general. I have however enjoyed some of the music links provided by you over many weekends when I'm drunk. God, I'd hate it if you did that again.

>literally no mids: the headphone

Love Live Sunshine S2.

>God, I'd hate it if you did that again.

Nah, but I link some random playlist instead.

youtube.com/watch?v=LpIa5HGSKwI&list=PLzPDhruj2hCoUqgaA9NUIp6ryCo8ZAonO

>get damaged if they're played at max volume?
maybe, but only from a longer period of time, with a really powerful amp

the studio I work at had to repair the HD280/380 regularly because f.e. laying unattended on a drum throne playing full blast even though the musicians are in the control room listening to takes or editing at the moment but the auxes are still open, so after a week the thing is dead
happend way less often since we switched to a hearback pro which has a less powerful amps than the redboxes and lake peoples we had before

b-but I liked the 60fps videos/songs. They're great when you're drunk. I'll listen to that link a little later either way.

Look into r/starlightstage and r/theaterdays @ plebbit.

If you like the videos, you'd love playing the actual games.

Yes, depending on how powerful the amp is

>spend $1000+ to get a better headphones instead of compensating the shortcomings with a software equalizer

pic not related

Thanks but I can't be bothered with that. It's not the same but I used to play ddr revolution with my keyboard like 10 years ago because of a friend. It's just different and entertaining hearing a catchy tune whilst watching cartoon women move in 60fps when I'm half drunk. I couldn't care less when I'm sober. That goes for music in general these days tbf.

You don't need to spend $1000+ to hear the mids, user

>It's not the same but I used to play ddr revolution with my keyboard like 10 years ago because of a friend.
Me too, ~15 years ago. And now, I'm totally into these idol rhythm games...
>It's just different and entertaining hearing a catchy tune whilst watching cartoon women move in 60fps when I'm half drunk.
MV mode @ game, after you survive Master mode (not that hard) for any given song.
youtube.com/watch?v=soKjmYvmSe0
But yeah, youtube is full of the stuff if you're that lazy.

What'd you suggest under 200?

HD579 open, HD569 closed.

AKG K612, HD579, SHP9500, AKG K553, DT250, CD900st are all great

It's not that I'm lazy, I just don't want to play these games at this point. The main video or two in my mind didn't even have commands on the screen or look like an actual game. I didn't know what it was exactly at the time. Maybe the commands were removed for recording purposes, idk.

>The main video or two in my mind didn't even have commands on the screen or look like an actual game

Obviously they did look like a game but they were all on stage and had no on screen commands is what I meant. They could have just been some random made videos for all I know.

how can you spend so much money on headphones without hearing how they sound first?

That's why you come to Sup Forumshpg and shill the one you bought so you can justify your purchase, no matter how bad it was

InnerFidelity's K712 wasn't sealed well. It is MUCH bassier than K702.

MV mode is basically the dancing without the game interface. That's probably what you've seen. Youtube is full of these, and also full of actual gameplay of people showing off their crazy skills.

>Best price/performance headphones
That would clearly be KSC-75. What you have posted are ear-raping treble cannons with no mids.

Bifrost with USB3
SRM-Xh GRLV
STAX 007 Omega II Mk I

>Currently using it to listen to bad old tape rips of obscure folk
Fuck good audio gear. It's harder to find decently-mastered and transferred music.

They're generally known to be fairly neutral. Anyone else want to characterize the M40x as something other than neutral? Bassy / slight v-shape perhaps?

What's the most bass heavy closed back headphones for under $150?

>headphones to be added/removed
How about AD500X/900X/1000X/2000X? They are great for people wanting good stage without any amping required and are all upgrades from one another, people who don't like them usually complain about being bass-light but if you read on the website being "airy" is the actual proposal of the line, so i think they naild it. The last two sound more different than the fist three from what i read.

I don't think you should worry about removing headphone from your guide unless it's no longer in production and even than people might seek used ones for collection purposes or because it's good enough even with no assistance available. DT250 for example seems to be out of production but it still is one of the most neutral closed-backs in the price range + you will always be able to find new pads for it (same pads as V6).

>How about AD500X/900X/1000X/2000X?
Shitty ergonomics. Won't stay put on head for many people. Only AD500X have bass.

JVC SZ1000 or SZ2000

What's the source for these?
>62786188
>62786207
>62786254
>62786363

I want to read more on headphone leakage.

check out the sean olive collection at the aes library if you have access to it
aes.org/e-lib/collections/?ID=5

if not you can sure find the papers or at least some excerpts somewhere else on the web

And? Stays put in mine and my friends heads with the problem, also, there's a column for cons so it's not like only perfect headphone go in there.
>Only AD500X have bass.
A: I adressed that, it's supposed to sound like that, check their website
B: I'm a bass player and i can hear the bass on it just fine, it's recessed, but it's there, so either you never them or you are exagerating out of habit.

Why does everybody hate beats? ;_;

t.Jaquintis

Okay gotcha. I might check out the MV mode on youtube later.

The AD700x is already there. I found the main value proposition is the sound stage as you've said. It doesn't seem like a particularly strong choice unless you really want the sound stage (gamers for example).

Do you see other applications where these are superior value?

I've been trying to read up on these but it seems like they're not very popular for some reason