/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Coffee Lake has been released! Benchmarks / Reviews
techpowerup.com/reviews/

====

>Handy overview of available parts (outdated prices / builds)
logicalincrements.com/
>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & currency for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, try to include information like response time, refresh rate, resolution, and size

CPUs:
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>i3 8100 - Better budget CPU; extra cost of the currently available Z mobos lessens the value of the CPU
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Check your Mobo's QVL before buying RAM or look for user reports
>Ryzen CPUs benefit a lot from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal

GPUs:
Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon), so using an old GPU or waiting to build may be a good idea right now.
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced gfx cards for 1080p; 6GB 1060 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 / 1080 - 1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 4K

General:
>Consider a 240GB or larger SSD.
>If your build uses Wifi, you will need a Wireless Network Adapter, either 2.4 or 5GHz

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/product/fMcMnQ/asus-monitor-mg278q
amazon.com/MG279Q-27-Inch-FreeSync-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B00ZOO348C
pcpartpicker.com/list/bxd37h
pcpartpicker.com/list/cgkDPs
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/CWJCXH
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm not sure if this fits here but it seems to be the best place to ask. I'm looking to buy two new monitors. My criteria is as follows:

3820x2160 resolution
IPS panel
minimal bezel

Tilt and other physical movement abilities would be nice to have but not totally necessary as I'm looking into a monitor arm which would negate this entirely. I think. Small response time would be nice as well but entirely unnecessary as I don't play really play games.

Forgot size. 27" to 34" is preferable. I watch a lot of movies/TV shows and I also program, so these are the use cases for the most part. The odd game will be played so I'm guessing I'll need a pretty hefty GPU regardless, so I'm taking suggestions on this as well.

Would it be weird to get one 1440p 144Hz monitor and one 1440p 60Hz monitor?

There's only 2 GPUs on the market properly capable of 4k.
The nvidia GTX 1080Ti, and the liquid cooled AMD Radeon RX Vega 64

Honestly I'd try to steer you away from "4K"
At 27" 1440p is enough, and 1440p won't require a 1080Ti to power it

Probably not that weird, but you'd notice

I'm looking more for screen real estate rather than gaming ability. Say I didn't play games at 4k and instead scaled it down to 1920x1080 or some such, would it still require such a strong GPU?

$400 Budget (Not including GPU)
1080p Gaming

Already purchased a Gigabyte R9 280x from friend ($110)

just don't play a game on both screens.

Is now a good time to build a highish end gaming pc? Ryzen 5 1600 / 1080 gpu.

>
>
>I'm looking more for screen real estate rather than gaming ability. Say I didn't play games at 4k and instead scaled it down to 1920x1080 or some such, would it still require such a strong GPU?
No, you can use a lower tier GPU then. With normal usage the GPU can support an insane resolution, but games is where it starts to lag. Youll probably have to play games at fullscreen mode though, otherwise they might end up as 1/4th of the screen

why is it so hard to find reference/founders 1080ti cards at a reasonable price?

Just what I needed to know. Any suggestions for monitors, then?

Im thinking of getting a 1050 TI but I got a budget of around 200-250 anything better?

Gtx 980
GTX 1060 6GB
R9 390/390X
RX 480

any of those if you can find them for around $200

You're looking at the G4600 or R3 1200.

Good time. Consider i5 8400 as an alternative to the R5 1600 and a 144Hz 1440p monitor to pair with the GTX 1080.

FE is more expensive than aftermarket.. some kind of Nvidia tax

3GB 1060

>144Hz 1440p monitor to pair with the GTX 1080
Can you give me some thoughts on this?
pcpartpicker.com/product/fMcMnQ/asus-monitor-mg278q

want to build a silent pc/homeserver, 2 disks in raid is enough, should I just go for mini-itx with passively cooled components? would like to double as a desktop, but no 3D is needed, and driving 1080p resolutions is sufficient

RX Vega can't compare to a 1080ti, even when liquid cooled. A 1080 would be a better comparison. The only 3 cards that can handle 4K/Ultra/60 on most modern titles are
>GTX Titan X (Pascal)
>GTX 1080 TI
>GTX Titan Xp
In that order, in terms of performance. The 1080ti can also be found with 12GB/s memory, which will be slightly better performance than a standard 1080ti - but still less than a Titan Xp.

it's been a bad time for about a year now and it has no end in sight. GPU's cost more than a kidney and RAM prices doubled and and they're increasing over time. Ryzen is the saviour of builds currently with its prices.

That's a TN panel.. get a VA. Good response times and colors

Even though the 8400 seems to fuck everything (even the 8700k at times in gaymen).
I wonder if buying a locked CPU might be good for the long run, perhaps Ryzen for its value might be better?

the only advice to give some people is to jump on a decent pre-built and upgrade it's psu until ram and gpu prices stop

>RX Vega can't compare to a 1080ti,
>yet benchmarks on one of the direst DX12 only games, Forza Motorsport 7, show Vega 64 air cooled beating the 1080Ti

>MSI X370 Gaming pro carbon
Is this a decent choice for a Ryzen 5 1600x? is it gonna be future-proof when Zen 2 comes around?
Also what exactly is Krait gaming supposed to be and what is it supposed to do? it feels like it has something niche about it with how few people are building it

Any Ryzen chip would be the better choice.
AMD isn't going to force you to buy a whole new motherboard every time you want/need a better processor.

Anyone have any experience with this monitor?
amazon.com/MG279Q-27-Inch-FreeSync-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B00ZOO348C
Looking for a decent 1440p 144hz monitor.

Should I get 1700 or 8700k?
Budget isn't an issue (not getting memes like Threadripper or Xeon though)

The only CPU-intensive things I will be doing are compiling and gayming @120hz 1080p /w GTX 1080

The 8700k appeals more to me but I will have to wait for 3 weeks before it's in stock in my country - also only z370 boards available right now here are all Gigabyte which is absolute shit from personal experience. I already have a good case and cooling so thermals won't be a problem.

The 1700, while being cheaper, seems to perform a lot worse in certain applications and games. Also it may not hit competitive freq levels and needs better RAM.

1700 because 8700k (even the non-unlocked one) will be too overkill for 1080p
put that extra money on something nice for your pc, like gay rgb led or a fancy case or something.
also you can upgrade to zen+ within the next 5-6 months
>I will have good cooling
Unless it's a custom loop/nitrogen it won't do much. The pajeets didn't fix the paste problems. And they're shameless about it.

Is it true that Windows 7 / 8.1 wont work on Ryzen/Kabylake anymore? If so, whats the best way to install 10?

Yeah but good cheap CPUs are totally canceled out by the GPU prices atm.

Dose anyone remember the Nvidia 8800GT? It was like $150 and gave every gamer a top GPU speced machine.

Today's equivalent is $500.

Stupid question but related to builds
say I have a 1060 and a 980 SLI disabled
plus I have two monitors, each hooked up to one GPU each
can I choose which GPU I can play muh games on

All my parts except the Cryorig AM4 kit have arrived. In fact, I don't think I'll get it for at least another week (still waiting for shipping notification).
pcpartpicker.com/list/bxd37h

I'm eager to start building tomorrow, but all I have on my hands is a AM3 cooler (pic related) and it fits. Will this old thing tide me over (stock clocks, no OC) until I get the Cryorig kit?

You should be able to choose by putting the game on the monitor that the GPU is connected to.

Why do you have a 1080 for 120hz 1080p? Either CPU is overkill, too.
To be honest, you will be bottlenecked by your monitor no matter what you choose.

zen 2 is coming out with x470 y b450. Asrock itachi imo

not that user but what monitor would i have to buy for a r 1700 with a 1080?

Air or AIO for 8700k OCing?

I had 3 60Hz 1080p monitors a few months ago
I wanted some sort of upgrade didn't want to ruin the entire setup so I got another 1080p monitor with higher refresh rate and better panel

Also I don't think they will be overkill. Currently using a 4790 and I can feel it not keeping up a lot of the times.

Will current x370 motherboards be relevent until 2020?

I somehow highly doubt newer AM4 chips on different architecture can keep using the same chipset

most expensive corsair or nzxt AIO
air won't cut it
this is assuming you will be delidding the 8700k, otherwise no point getting a cooler because it will brew up regardless

Noctua has some strong air coolers but they are so heavy you can probably kill someone by hitting them with it

Also you need good internal airflow for air coolers to really work

My ryzen 5 1600 overclocks to 4.0GHz using the stock cooler on 1.35v, would it be worth it to buy an aftermarket cooler to push further? It's obviously a great chip, but I'm not sure how much further it could get if I pushed the voltage to 1.4(right now temps are too high when I do that)

so
does that mean I can't slap a zen2 on my x370? I thought they won't drop socket support for a while

no lmfao you dumb animeposter jewtel changes things on purpose to make you buy new stuff

OLED monitors when? At this point I don't even care about OLED's deterioration issues, I just want a monitor without total fucking worthless contrast ratio. LCD is a joke.

never

>uses a /pcbg/ OP to shill a shit intel product

>Itachi
N/a/ruto was a mistake.
Not him but doing the same. Literally everything is on the CPU so there shouldn't be too much missed out if going with the Taichi now? Maybe X470 will get Thunderbolt/some lanes, but Zen's Soc-iness minimizes regret?

you lucky bastard
4.0GHz is good enough, wait for Zen 2 to get close to 5GHz

what do i look for when buying an ssd? what are good read,write and transfer speed for ssd?
>Samsung 850 EVO, 2.5", 500GB, SATA III
>Form Factor 2.5"
>500 GB
>interface SATA 3
>transfer speed when reading (MB/s) 540
>transfer speed when writing (MB/s) 520
>transfer speed SATA (MB/s) 600
>186 eu
this shit worth it or i can get better for the money?

that's what i was thinking too, i really won the lottery with this one, cheers

can't go wrong with 850 evos. not sure about the price since i haven't look at them lately

>can't go wrong with 850 evos
is this the most quality brand/series ssd, what do people usually buy?
its my first ssd and i dont know what good or not.

What's the best value for money single/dual core performance cpu? I3 8350K?

~$600 US

Best Gpu/cpu/mobo/ram for price/performance?

2560x1080p 60hz

already have psu,ssd,hdd,case

was thinking
pcpartpicker.com/list/cgkDPs

My 850 evo died on me after 3 years but friends have had it for longer and are still functional so it's a hit or miss, and that's for all SSDs, the brand doesn't matter too much. If you're a yuro that's a bit too expensive though, this is from italian amazon for example

>1060 3gb

X370 is AMD thou.
You're thinking of Z370.

i got ~$600 for the build nigga, should I just get the 1050ti and pocket the cash? the 6gb version is significantly more.

Unfortunately the 3gb is the only 1060 model thats anywhere near affordable.

>x370
>intel

Are you just pretending to be an AMD fanboy to shitpost?
You don't even know AMD's chipset

>include a 12 thread and a 6 thread cpu in multithreaded section
What? Why not an actual cpu with some threads? Like the 8700?

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/CWJCXH

Looking for a new cooler, as the Cryorig H7 I got just isn't cutting it. Is the one I chose a decent one for that case?

Get a NZXT Kraken X62 instead, pleb. Air cooling sucks.

My 850 still works after 5 years. Its only downside is capacity but back in 2012 this 120gb was about 200 euros.

>Air cooling sucks

0/10

How do I avoid just wasting money on a new computer? I'm happy with the performance of my current one but I feel so tempted to upgrade because its about 5 years old now. Maybe if I keep my CPU mobo and ram and just change the GPU cooler case and get a new ssd (current ones small as fuck).

post specs

Three shekels has been deposit to your account. Thank you for your hard work!

16gb ram
Mainly use blender so idk how much CPU it even uses. I was thinking of a 1070 since my render times are horrid right now

7970 is still relevant. Best upgrade you can do is to ryzen, but if you don't feel you need an upgrade, don't

>only ONE i7 8700 review.

Why there are no /tvg/? I need a tv as a second monitor to watch animu. I have 500 bucks.

>people actually believe their shitty $80 b350 mobo will be enough for zen2/3 5.0ghz (allegedly), when vrms on all b350 mobos already struggle with 4.0ghz ryzen cpus today.

7970 is only relevant because it was 3gb of gddr, but even the 1050ti has more than it now. I'm curious about blenders CPU usage though, is it actually that high?

Because there fuck all stock

Why not get a monitor instead?

>Why not get a monitor instead?
IDK maybe sometimes i need it to work as tv.

and tv's much bigger

Could always look into getting a TV tuner for your pc or looking in to digital TV. Here in Australia every channel is streamable

Running 3 1080p monitors and building a new machine. Often experiencing performance issues ingame when running bigger applications on the side.

What is more important for me? CPU or GPU?
Would an 8 core even help?

Yes that's a great cooler.

Yeah when you go past 43", a monitor will generally look better though

Probably CPU. If its Intel this is what's called being a corelet.

Some cheap lg, samsung, sony

I5-8400 or ryzen 1600?
I will use it for gayming and some light video, photo and music editing.
Or should i get the i5-8600k and spend less on the graphics card?
I won't OC now

The 8400 is just a 7400 with a celeron glued on

Any generally recommended cases that don't look like they're made for edgy 14 year olds?

keep telling yourself that

Prove me wrong. The 8700k is just a 6700k with a 6100 glued on as well.
There are no changes to the chips other than additional cores.

>There are no changes to the chips other than additional cores.
and? the reason why people stopped recommending kaby lake i5 is because they only had 4 cores. coffee lake fixes that; 8400 performs much better in gaming and about the same in other workloads, whilst still being cheaper. it's currently the best price/perf gayming cpu.

Fractal design

I recently copped a R9 Fury X off a friend for cheap (water cooled version). How shit is this thing exactly? Am I better off just selling it and getting a Nvidia card?

>nothing's changed except they glued blank to blank
>so? I'm team blue. and I need a heater for winter.
Intel shills are the worst.

The R9 Fury X is still a relevant card.

Kraken or H110i?

>hurr durr glued cores xd
do you have any other argument other than being a retarded fanboy?

The performance increase from the extra cores is fucking laughable. It's nowhere near worth it.

With Ryzen, there's a big difference in performance between different cored variants making the extra cores worth it.

I'd wager that if you're a team blue fan, it's better to buy kaby lake right now with all the discounts, get virtually identical performance, and spend less money.

>arguing with an AMD shill

If he had his own way he'd delete Intel suggestions and pretend they don't exist.