/sqt/ - Silly Queries Thread

Post your questions here, dumbshits.

I'll start:
Okay... What the hell is going on?

My internet connection works fine (and apparently Steam's working alright), so I'm not sure why I'm geting speeds of singular bytes a second... Any ideas?

Other urls found in this thread:

romhacking.net/start/
openssh.com/txt/release-6.7
gist.github.com/joepie91/5a9909939e6ce7d09e29
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/TQRFRG
cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2929&cmp[]=2910&cmp[]=2920#Multi
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I want to start modding games...final fantasy 7 or maybe snes or nes to.start with...how doez one even start something like this??

Not sure how applicable this site may be for you, but here's a site that covers the basics:
romhacking.net/start/

its writing to disk and decompressing files

I'm trying to install a game and it says "This app can't run on your Pc, to find a version for your Pc, check with the software developer" what do

Stop torrenting games Jamal

from last thread
i now 4 dead android tablets
the chargers all work but none will turn on, how do i diagnose the problems or should i just toss them

i've got this old ass midi synthesizer that won't work on my computer anymore
it worked perfectly fine on every os up until 8.1, but on 10 i had to frankenstein some vista and 7 drivers in order for it to work.
since this is a shared computer, the other idiots who use it like to update it whenever possible, and some update a few months ago made this thing stop working altogether (computer detects it as a usb device but nothing beyond that)
i have a hunch that it was the creators update that killed it. is there a way to uninstall that or whatever?

for MacType am I supposed to have these options on or off? I can't remember

i have an honor 4x (che2-l11) android phone and it's storage is almost always full, i've uninstalled/disabled just about all bloatware and i only have about 10 of my own apps installed, how do i clear up more space?
>custom rom
if you can find one with a working download link, i'll try it.
again, model is che2-l11

which would be better for general media storage(movies, film, kino, flicks, music), a WD red or purple?

German eBay seller with 99.7% positive feedback and 11330 feedback score selling "original LG Nexus 5 replacement batteries" for €8 and has sold ~180 so far — trust it's legit or pass up?

Encompass has them for $25 but doesn't ship to Europe.

Is there a way to click every link in a file folder structure? I have a couple hundreds of links i need to be clicked on so they show the already been clicked link color, but im using downthemall to actually download them, so i can see if any new files have been uploaded to the folder

Two options:
a) find out about the game's file formats. Older games tended to use proprietary archive formats with all the data in one or few large files. Find an extractor for that. Newer games are more likely to store individual files for game assets, due to optimizations in modern file systems and caching. The UNIX tooi "file" might be useful for identifying files with unknown extensions.

b) Simply record the soundtrack as it's playing.

Aside from power saving mode + low brightness is there anything else that I can use to get maximum battery life on an android phone? Necessary to still have wifi though.

I'm downloading a bunch of folders from a ftp site with Filezilla. My connection is potato so it'll take a day or two to finish. How can I set Filezilla to remember which file/folder it ended at so I don't need to keep the PC runnind 24/7? I assume the feature is there but googling hasn't been fruitful so far.

Since yesterday my ssh config stopped working, especially the following line:

/etc/ssh/ssh_config line 41: Bad SSH2 cipher spec 'arcfour,blowfish-cbc,aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr,arcfour256,arcfour128,aes128-cbc,3des-cbc'.

But this config worked fine for quite a while, what's going wrong?

openssh.com/txt/release-6.7

The default set of ciphers and MACs has been altered to
remove unsafe algorithms. In particular, CBC ciphers and arcfour*
are disabled by default.

Where's a place to find GTK themes, and how to edit existing themes?

I only use facebook as a news aggregator.
How can I have a feed with all the news from my facebook subscriptions without logging in?

Or what's a good news feed that isn't facebook or google?

SMS uses a sequenced music format (like midi with a soundfont)
i have access to the sequence .arc and .aw soundbanks, but i'm not aware of any player for them

gnome-look

I've got a dual-boot Windows/Ubuntu on my laptop, but HP makes it a bad solution because of uefi stuff, so I was wondering if I could use a vm to host my actual Ubuntu and than delete the partition (leaving one big windows partition and a vm hosting ubuntu) ?
I was thinking of making a backup of my ubuntu partition, deleting it, creating a Ubuntu vm and restoring my backup in the vm, what do you think ?

What's the best torrent site besides thepiratebay

Maybe one of your charger is malfunctionning and fucked the batteries of your tablets.
In any case don't toss them, either go to a local phone repair to have them to look at it or sell it online for parts

Private trackers

what even are private trackers?
afaik you have to be part of a community or something to use them, which i'm too spergy for

Install a custom rom and use a kernel tool to slow down the cpu and other stuff as they consume a lot of battery
go to the xda forum of your phone if you don't know were to start

How do i make my android phone use more ram?
i have 2 gb and it never uses more than 1.2 gb and it keeps closing my fucking background apps and shit

That depends of your news feeds, but you should try Feedly, even though you have to log into it, you'll probably find everythig your looking for

You don't have to interact with anyone.
Just seed 24/7 and don't upload garbage

I need to get a spare 2TB HDD for my Linux software RAID 1 but the drives I'm using are end of life and no longer sold so it'll have to be a different model. I know you can add any drive to an existing RAID 1 as long it's the same size or bigger but I imagine not all 2TB models have the same capacity and will be off by a marginal amount. I don't suppose there's anywhere that has information on a drives actual capacity so I can find the best matching model that currently sold?

what happens if i don't seed for a short period of time, say if my internet connection dies for a while which happens quite often in the 3rd world shithole that is philippines

Not a problem.
Usually the requirements are like "seed for 48 hours within 1 week"
Some trackers don't have seed time requirements at all, just upload/download ratio

That said, just get a seedbox
Dedicated or virtual server hosted in a data center, to deal with torrents

Some steam games unpack differently, rather than just flat removing and replacing a file, some games will update by altering specifics within a file, Payday 2 is a prime example of this. So small updates can take a huge amount of time, sometimes slowing download progress significantly.

My SSH session timed out, can I bring this back some how?
----@cockbox:~# ps x | grep py
27626 pts/2 Sl+ 3:16 python3 scan.py

I go on unblocked.bid because my country is an Orwellian shithole, it links of to numerous torrent sites.

I want to leave Cuckfox for Icecat. I went to their website and downloaded the latest version from a mirror, now how do I use the .sig file to check the authenticity of what I just downloaded?

Thanks famalam

How do I get into internet abuse concepts like ddos, xss and such?
Book recommendations are welcome.

Since Firefox is compromised now, what browser is recommended to avoid data pirates?

Secondly are cloud services like Google Drive/Dropbox safe to use or are there other options?

What's a good tile window manager for *nix?

google drive, onedrive, dropbox and mega are all fine if you only upload passworded archives

Had this gem today.

Unrelated stupid question: Can I use an american friend as a Netflix VPN? How do I set it up to use his his connection? Also, will netflix detect and IP block him?

Why should I use vim over emacs? Emacs is fast enough so I don't feel the desire for anything more lightweight and I don't have a problem with the keybindings.

If you're happy with what you then just shut up and use it? Why do people who use Emacs and VIM have to constantly bring it up? You're like vegans.

>find steam ip
>mtr steam ip
>look for anomalies

I'm only bringing it up because I see people bringing it up everywhere, I figured there must be something that I'm missing.

Not missing anything, it's just spastics who think personal preference is some measure of objectivity. The only thing that matters is whether or not it serves you was as a tool. Plus this place is filled with contrarians.

In GodotScript, or Python or Java...
If I have a number x that falls between the range 0 and y (upper limit)
How do I map x to fall between a range of 0 and 255?

well if this is a real question, x %= 256

>x %= 256
doesnt work properly if y < 255
My y is 21 in this case
Altough it could be a different value in the future so it needs to be scalable.

It's the only special case, so write an if.

Try changing download server to LAN Event (your continent)

Why not just use any other RSS reader?

What database aside from SQLite and Access can I use if I want my VS application to work when I copy my application folder (that includes the database file) to another PC?

but then how do I map/calculate it for values lower then 255?

You mean like... a percentage?
255*x/y

Does ryzen 7 1700 support 3200mhz ram?

Stop playing shit games Jamal

Why do Facebook comments only load once you're logged in, even on public pages?

Is there a workaround?

Yes.

I have 3 copies of my music library. My main hdd and one of 2 backups had exactly the same corrupted songs. Their file sizes and time of modification are the same on all 3 copies but only one hdd isn't corrupted(checked in freefilesync).
Is this normal way of file getting corrupted? Same file size and everything but it just wont play. I thought it would go missing or give some kind of glitches.

x % 256 // clamp to 0-255
x % (y + 1) // clamp to 0-y

Wait, if y is smaller than x, then the correct way would be to return a whole part and a remainder:
let x,y - natural, x>y
then x = w*y + r where w, r - whole numbers, |r|

You can use any RSS reader, go to every of your news source's website and suscribe to their rss feed, I think there's one implemented by default in firefox
What feedly has is that it has a lot of different sources which you can suscribe to directly without leaving the website/app and it's cross platform, so it's pretty convenient

Do thermal pastes noticably differ in quality or are they mostly the same?

Yes, they do considerably in quality, target application, and chemical compound.

This only works if y < 255
This only works if y > 255
x and y are always integers

Thanks lads thats all I needed. :)

I just use an if statement to switch between the 2 calculations if y is lower or higher than 255

> only works for y < 255
You sure about that?

Not sure but the mapping is different for each calculation. I dont know wich one of the two would be better or more accurate.
Its for normalizing the color of an image btw.

y = 650
for in range(0, 75)
x_funcOne = int(rand_range(0, y))
x_funcTwo = x_funcOne

print("oldX" + x_funcOne)

x_funcOne = x_funcOne % 256
x_funcTwo = 255*x_funcTwo/y

print("x_func1" + x_func1)
print("x_func2" + x_funcTwo)

>pic related is output

I've got two dht22s, and both show around 20-25 degrees Celsius over many days, and 30-40% humidity.

I really doubt these results, especially when I just now tried opening some windows and it's 9 degrees outside (although a lot of sun). Can I trust these cheap shit sensors?

Why must you find remainders at all and not mask the first 8 bits instead?

I dont even know.
I am just calculating the color palette for a mandelbrot and other fractal.
y is the number of iterations.
And the color of the pixel can be from 0 to y
but rgb only goes from 0 to 255
So I need map the correct color space.

In my mind, the question about remainders and whole parts is equivalent to the value in base 256... Math comes up in my quick calculations, too.

When from another computer on my network I am watching a film from a drive that is shared from another computer what is actually happening? Am I clogging up the network by streaming the folder and what sort of speed is this going at? I have 100/20 connection.

You stream the data from one system to another at the bitrate of the movie minus loss (compression or otherwise).

What does Sup Forums think of cyberghost?
are there any better free vpn's?

Obligatory: gist.github.com/joepie91/5a9909939e6ce7d09e29

I'm using my vpn to get past country blocks and bandwidth throttling, not for anonymity

VPNs are a tool to separate your privacy from your ISP. where it goes and how they deal with it is a separate issue.

Which is about what in KB/s for an average remux?

Fuck if I know, 4096kbps would be generous for 1080p. Look up these values on the web.

Looking for a new cooler. Please help.

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/TQRFRG

Delid

2scare

Anyone know why I can't use the M-Flash function on my MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic?

I select the option, system restarts, then instead of letting me select the USB + BIOS file, it just restarts again.
Im using USB 2.0 slot and have tried multiple USB sticks of different sizes.

My system works fine otherwise.

Coolers barely matter, just get one the volume of two or three fists + a big ole fan. If it's still too hot, get a better thermal paste. I use grizzly conductonaut, but that's liquid metal...

Doess it have a special designated usb port for this purpose? I know on asus boards there is a designated usb port that only works for its flashing uses

i5-7400
i5-7500
i5-7600

Building a PC for the first time with a mobo and some other parts I got earlier in the year. What's the real difference between these? I don't overclock, and will just be playing video games.

Do most private trackers allow you to use an unmanaged switch to connect 2 computers to that both will be seeding / leeching from the tracker?

whats a good email client?
i need to connect 3 emails and i dont really care about features, just plain sending and receiving emails

thunderbird?

What's the minimal price for (non-shit quality that don't break in a year ) 2.1 speakers for a pc,

The difference is they all suck compared to the Ryzen 1400/1500X/1600 which are cheaper. They only win in pure single threaded, but not enough to matter (or you'll be going with an i7).

Shame you're being locked down by reusing old hardware.

cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2929&cmp[]=2910&cmp[]=2920#Multi

base and boost clocks

Maybe 200 usd

Just go for the 7600, others aren't worth it.

That's not what he asked.

kmail

$30. I paid that for some no-name brand. Better quality than comparable namebrand and run for the 7th year now.