How to test whether a guy really knows about C++?

How to test whether a guy really knows about C++?
A guy I know states that he has learned it for three years and he showed me videos (seven years old) of his games, but they looked like GameMaker template games.

An Arkanoid, Tetris and Geometry Wars clone to be exact. The Geometry Wars clone looked very much like the original with many particle effects and moving vectors. He says he doesn't program anymore because he doesn't like debugging. Why come so far and make such awesome looking games and then drop out of it just because debugging is boring?

He also doesn't like natural sciences including math. So he's not the typical nerd. You won't learn to master a rather serious programming language like C++ for three years just to completely drop it afterwards. It doesn't make sense.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/UnaffiliatedWorks
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

fizzbuzz

lol why do you even care?

ppl get fed up of things all the time

He knew the basics nothing more

After 3 years he should probably have a lot more to show for it than that. Not suprised he quit, I could make those in like a week or something and I suck.

A DirectX game?
You probably know C++ already.

C++ isn't special. It's just another programming language where you can hack out shit code with no real understanding of what you're doing and then stop when you get yourself in a huge mess just like any other.

So are there templates for Geometry wars clones?

The thing is, the videos of the games were on YouTube and published in 2010.
I think it was a little different back then.

He was also only 19/20 at the time. And like I've said, not the smart kid from school.

I'm sure there was an sdl tutorial somewhere on the internet spelling out 90% of what you need for that.

I think you overestimate how complicated programming is. I've made arcade style games by slapping together sphagetti code from stack overflow. And there probably are tutorials for everything you need to make geometry wars.

>So are there templates for Geometry wars clones?
Yes.
It's not a remotely complex game to make.

Maybe learn to program before sucking this guys dick so much.

Then give me a question he can't google.
Something fundamental, but not too obvious. He seemed very confident about his C++ ability.

Here are the games in question:
youtube.com/user/UnaffiliatedWorks

I still don't believe he wrote the game engines himself, like he stated.

It already seems he doesn't know much programming + why bother if you don't either

Ask him something about Object-Oriented programming since most people prefer C++ over C because of that. Like what is Polymorphism or Encapsulation, how are classes defined ... something basic in OOP that strays away from basic level programming

>Ask him something about Object-Oriented programming since most people prefer C++ over C because of that. Like what is Polymorphism or Encapsulation, how are classes defined ... something basic in OOP that strays away from basic level programming

What if he tries to find words for it, but can't? Would you still say it's likely that he has created a game engine then?

You're completely overestimating how difficult programming is. Creating a basic engine isnt all that difficult, I made a basic 3D engine in my first week learning C++ although I did have a years experience with Java

So you can make 3D games without knowing C++ at all by using code snippets?

OP is a huge fucking autist.

i used to know C++
but then they changed what C++ was
and now what i code with isn't C++
and what C++ is seems weird and scary to me

>How to test whether a guy really knows about C++?
Make him solve questions from cppquiz.org in front of you, probably hand him a draft of standard too to make it fair.

>i could probably make a dx game in a week
Sup Forums - lying sacks of shits

>I know basic trigonometry and pretend I can make a 3d engine

>is it likely that he created a game engine

First of all, 99% of people who claim they made a game did it using a preexisting software like Unity + YouTube videos. I know because I too claimed I knew C++ because I made a shitty game in Unreal Engine and some light programming in my 8th grade. Than I came to collage and really learned C++

If he doesn't know what Classes are, the basic building block of OOP in C++ than he's just larping (like I once was). If he answers you something like "Yeah dude, but that's irrelevant and useless I use better functions and stuff" than you ask him "Why in the first place are you using C++ if not for OOP" and cocnlude that he is a retard

and it'll happen you to yoooooou

ask him if hes excited for concepts and coroutines

More stuff I can ask him?

Start by growing a brain. Ask him why his supposed C++ games have videos of them that are older than his C++ knowledge.
Or stop the interview. He's a liar. Why would you want to deal with a person like that?

He's almost 30 now and he did them when he was around 20.

I liked this game

C++ is not for OOP you Unity cuck
OOP is a legacy paradigm. If you want to play with ENTERPRISE OOP you can play with Java EE or be kawaii~ with Ruby :3

>You won't learn to master a rather serious programming language like C++ for three years just to completely drop it afterwards. It doesn't make sense.

I literally did this. And I also hate debugging.
I dropped out of computer science and changed to botany.
I mostly spent time outdoors now a days.
Except when its raining (like now)
I only program in python once in a while because its fast and easy write quick programs. ...Or shitpost on Sup Forums

I like Casio BASIC too when I am bored. That was my first programming language.

eh not really. You still need a firm grasp of programming concepts and there's lots more shit that goes into an engine than just a renderer.

He probably used a library to handle all the graphics, sounds, IO and stuff. which is standard practice, most developers use existing libraries as often as possible

>I like Casio BASIC too when I am bored.
mfw I wrote the monty hall problem ON THE CALCULATOR ITSELF(ti-84)

Fuck me what a dumbass teacher that required it

>I still don't believe he wrote the game engines himself, like he stated.
I think you overestimate how difficult it is to do this with any library. Vector games are easy as shit, don't even need to load any image files.

I have been learning c++ for a couple days and I know how to fizzbuzz

Literally just pirate an advanced c++ book and ask him things from the book if you want to be sure.

This!

I know Python, and thats all i need

this comment is total bullshit. programming a game like geometry wars is non trivial. Sure you could probably do it with a lot of time with 3 years of programming experience but the code is probably shit to read.

why do you want to know if this guy knows C++? do you want to hire him? programming games is a very different problem to building websites or enterprise apps.

what's a pointer
what's a template
what's a lambda
what's a higher order function
what's the difference between abstract and interface

You could do that in SDL in like a couple days, counting the time to do the game assets. You don't need to be good at math to program if you're just playing legos with libraries.

>cppquiz.org

pfpfbfbfbfpfb

//question #4
void f(float) { std::cout

ask him if he thinks he knows a lot of C++
>if he says yes, he is lying and does not know shit
>if he says no, then he probably knows about C++
C++ is gay btw

>Why in the first place are you using C++ if not for OOP
i can answer this as a retard who doesnt get classes but made games in school in cpp

because of the frameworks that exist, and at the time, EVERY SINGLE book on gamedev was ONLY cpp.

when i left uni i saw python, lua, xcode books start to popup, but that was long after i played around with the quake engine.

Difference between pointers and references.
Maybe something about templates.

that's a good way to humiliate someone, not really a measure of how good a programmer someone is.

>this comment is total bullshit. programming a game like geometry wars is non trivial.
lmao, are you a javascript programmer or something?
Literally the 2nd month project everyone in C++ does is asteroids. I'm sure people could clone geometry wars in far less time than 3 years.

Fuck I miss the old crazy days of Geometry Wars RE.

Hell, looking at that video OP posted it doesn't even look as advanced as Asteroids. The physics look basic as fuck.

>claims to be a programmer
>doesn't use OOP and uses C++ only for gamedev with preexisting frameworks

oh boi

>muh OOP
spotted the pajeet

>muh gamedev

You're all filthy casuals

Congrats, you are hired

He doesn't know shit.

t. gamedev that's made several games from scratch in C.

>natural sciences including math
triggered