He hasn't optimised his wireless network yet

>he hasn't optimised his wireless network yet

I bet you're running it too hot, just like all the other plebs.

Protip: you want your received signal to be around -67dBm, and your signal to be about 20dBm greater than your noise (2:1 ratio).

Result? Faster speeds.

>he uses wireless
just like all the other plebs

>wireless

feels good, man

>wireless

>WIRELESS

not bad for being comfy on the bed with a laptop

>help my phone doesn't have an ethernet port

sometimes it jumps up to 702Mbps. I think that's the max my old router can push. I'll upgrade to a 4x4 MIMO when they come down in price to get gigabit. wifi

I can TX at 6 gorillion Gbps, doesn't mean my router can understand any of the shit I blast at it but hey fuck you the bytes are in the air

My router can't even keep up with modern so whatever

I've got a dual core mediatk cpu in there, and it's running at a beacon interval of one every 20ms. pretty sure I'm not dropping any frames, and I'm also pretty sure my AP's radio is more powerful than the one in any of my hosts, except for my external alfa one I use when I wanna get frisky

that's only probable if you have FIOS

the basic tweaks laid out in this thread will improve pretty much anyone's SOHO setup

This is a serious issue that needs to be addressed by the way.

20db on the snr is a 1000x ratio you retard. Never learned logarithms? And no, it doesn't matter unless you're dipping past the noise floor on a regular basis. The things that affect your speed most are burst noise/interference, other devices competing on your band, other devices timesharing on your AP, and competition with yourself due to reflection (echo, essentially).

I'm talking about routing speed

RF engineer here. In power terms, 20dB is only 100x, 30db is 1000x. Also, 3db is 2x, 10db is 10x.

Either way, OP is wrong.

yep, disregard the 20dBm, what I really meant was the 2:1 Snr is optimal, but you can get by with probably 1.3 to 1, it's just not going to be great

Thanks. I'm a stupid phoneposter and typing is hard. I didn't notice the extra zero even after posting.

?

20db snr is not great even for 802.11n.
>Faster speeds.
Adding more APs is the only way. Especially if your house is not made out of cardboard.

Ok OP, help me out

This is my setup

Modem/wifi router -*-> Switch -*-> Wifi Router

*House is wired with ethernet, so the devices are spread out throughout the house

I want both Wifis to have the same SSIDs and key, so that moving across the house will allow devices to seamlessly switch between the two signals. Basically to extend the wifi coverage.
Is this possible?

>Protip: you want your received signal to be around -67dBm, and your signal to be about 20dBm greater than your noise (2:1 ratio).
so tell me faggot, how did you measure the ambient noise in your mother's basement?

>wireless
It's like you want to hacked OP
Fixed wired connection hands down