Where were you when firefox turned into a literal botnet?

Where were you when firefox turned into a literal botnet?
Mozilla will include the "Cliqz" extension in firefox, which basically tracks every website the user visits. It was created by an ad company, the same one which created the ghostery botnet extension.
Source: translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Firefox-Testlauf-fuer-neue-Empfehlungsfunktion-3852129.html&sandbox=1

(Yes, it's in German. Deal with it)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.mozilla.org/press-de/2017/10/06/ein-neues-cliqz-experiment-in-firefox/
reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/74n0b2/mozilla_ships_cliqz_experiment_in_germany_for_1/
wiki.mozilla.org/Telemetry/Experiments
blog.mozilla.org/places/2013/03/27/mozilla-paris-finally-united/
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1392855#c5
github.com/cliqz-oss/browser-core/blob/master/modules/human-web/sources/human-web.es
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox/Tweaks
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox/Privacy
ghacks.net/2017/08/30/firefox-webextensions-may-identify-you-on-the-internet/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Germany
>1% of Germans
I got bigger things to worry about than 1% of Germans signing up for a botnet

It's on every FF version on 57.

Just double click and delete this values

>1 % of Germans
>can be disabled by disabling Telemetry and Crash Reports
It's nothing.

The news article is in German, the extension will be added world wide

>they will know you visit Sup Forums
Wow, its fucking nothing

57 and Nightly are beta versions. They use aggressive telemetry, just like any other modern beta software.
By turning off Telemetry in Settings you're not sending any data to Mozilla or Shitz, but why would you use beta software anyway? Just stick with Release or ESR.

>I know how to disable it so it's OK if they fuck the normal users
Retard. Bet you also use win10 with some "botnet removal tool"

This is an external ad company which sells usage statistics. It has nothing to do with mozilla

i don't think normal people use firefox lol

because it is good, fast and stable and I have checked off all telemetry stuff from it.
But the subject on hand is not about beta or nightly. Shitz will be embedded on all versions of ff after 57 worldwide.
see

Pale Meme or Waterfox don't have this problem.

Have you tried Nightly? It not only looks better than stable but it's also a lot faster. Though admittable I haven't tried stable for some time.

Go back to your safe space

They won't. Mozilla only collects anonymous telemetry.
What this means is that they will bundle all data and then analyze it; instead of doing it in a user case. They don't log IPs, and IIRC data is sent to a server which bundles it, and then sent to analyze to another one in regular intervals.
Mozilla isn't an ad company like Google nor do they sell information to other companies like Microsoft; all they care about is what % of users got a crash or slowdown in YouTube and shit.
>inb4 >>>>muh jew illuminati botnet
You can audit the source code (that is implying you can even read code.)

Literally says Under one percent of German users who download Firefox from Mozilla will get a version which has recommendation by Cliqz automatically activated.
blog.mozilla.org/press-de/2017/10/06/ein-neues-cliqz-experiment-in-firefox/

Brainlets, when will they learn?

type about:config on your ff shitzilla and type cliqz
thank me later cuck!

not allowed to discuss this in the safe space :(

>This post is locked. You won't be able to comment.

reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/74n0b2/mozilla_ships_cliqz_experiment_in_germany_for_1/

>believing that they won't ship it to all users after the test run

I'm not kidding you, I've been getting input lag on Firefox 56 when typing up posts on Sup Forums. I'll type a word, it'll just freeze and then two seconds later it'll spit out all the letters that I typed at once. That's not all, there's a noticeable lag when I load pages, image hover, and even click on another tab.

I've retreated to Chromium right now for the time being, where it's snappy and everything works. What the fuck is wrong with Firefox? Firefox has never been this bad before.

>it's not mozilla is shit, i-i-it's just you are dumb!
This is not pathetic, this is just disgusting.

> includes: URLs of websites you visit, and for how long, queries sent to search engines, and text typed in the URL bar

Basically everything you need. Someone should start mass spamming them with retarded search queries

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
STOP USING FIRECUX RIGHT NOW

Unlike Windows, Firefox does ask users on the first run if they want to share data or not. By turning it off, it's actually turned off.
For what I can gather, Shitz is a search engine and the owner of Ghostery, doesn't seem like an ad company, but why the fuck do they need to collect that much data?

This crap will be opt-out, not opt-in

>mozilla actually invested into a tracking company
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

They won't. Telemetry experiments only last for a period of time.
wiki.mozilla.org/Telemetry/Experiments

The cliqz experiment happened in january this year. They are now integrating it into stable

It's not a tracking company, it's a search engine. They receive the text you input in the URL bar because that's what search engines do (unless you turn off Search Suggestions.)
Basically, 1 % of users will receive Search Suggestions from Shitz instead of Google.
The real problem here is that they record what pages are visited and for how long, which is unnecessary and ridiculous.

>it's not a tracking company but they track their users
ok

Have you heard of Privacy Badger and uBlock?
and if anything, Chrome is 200% worse.
Firefox and Opera is the best choice for common Linux goys.

wow it's fucking nothing

user...

Source? I can't find any information on that. If they wanted to ship it in every Release, why are they including it with only 1 % of German users? This sounds more like a Test Pilot thing, and those are rarely bundled with Release.

>mozilla invests in search results with an ad type agency for telemetry capability
>cripples add ons
>cancerous workplace nonsense
can mozilla just die already?

Mozilla going the SourceForge way.

The problem with OSS is that they're left behind, financially. No one wants to donate. They need a way to make cash, so eventually, they give in, and sneak some shit into their software.

I just booted up Ubuntu, and had fucking Amazon pinned to my taskbar. I didn't put that shit there, that's a fact.

Canonical also sells your data via search terms.

Free software is dying, it cannot survive.

install gentoo

Just unpin it you fucking whiner. A shortcut isn't a botnet.

>The problem with OSS is that they're left behind, financially.

Did you install a version from 5 years ago?

What's this? It looks like a millionaires house that I worked at.

I'm not saying what I said is true for all software, but a lot of it.

Reaaaalllllyy?

No, 16.04 LTS

I am surprised they can get away with this in Germany, especially with German privacy laws.

Mozilla paris
blog.mozilla.org/places/2013/03/27/mozilla-paris-finally-united/

Firefox Devs discussing how to secretly sneak the Cliqz Adware in in to the browser:

bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1392855#c5

Nice Privacy protecting browser you have there, assholes.

>>cancerous workplace nonsense
Elaborate?

Nice "brigading" anons

>SUMMARIZED CHANGES
>- No Cliqz logo
>- Change screenshot to remove privacy panel
>- Change/remove language around the privacy panel (data remains on your computer)

Someone replies
>Is this some kind of joke?
>Gets marked as spam

I love my privacy and people who *truly care* about it.

>anons
Go back and stay back

Calm yourself /u/Antabaka, no one's raping (aka "brigading") you here.

Ewwwwwwww, those fucking SJWs turned Firefox into complete CANCER.
One more piece of software to avoid in the future.

Just use Brave you firecucks.

Why?

Because it uses the best rendering engine aka Blink.

>ever updating to the new engine
disable updates and you don't have that problem

inb4
>muh security
Use something ultra-hardened for banking.
You should keep most of your money in a separate, physical access-only account anyway.

there's no such thing as security in a web browser

this

I was on waterfox when firefox turned into a literal botnet.

that's why i'm ridiculing by using 'muh'
anyway doing your banking in unupdated browser is just asking for trouble

Have you heard of web-extensions and how they can't block requests made by other addons or restricted pages?

The lack of morals on display here is incredible

Antabaka moderator on firefox and mozilla subredits that decided to delete posts locked the thread and shadow remove another one.

I've seen even a mozilla dev saying that he has revised some code and it was not leaking nothing to webs in reply to someone on reddit and he proved him wrong easily.

not sure if he just lied about checking the code or he just can't code at all.

Haven't checked this particular code myself but i'm not going to blindly thrust them cause they tend to lie or are just plainly incompetent.

Is there a build of firefox without the bloatware that isn't just some obsolete version of firefox like palemoon?

Sad to see this happening to firefox, but it's not even the first time they've discussed this kind of shady shit like it's totally normal.

Waerfox is probably as close as you'll get without building it yourself, I used it for a bit and I think at that time it came without pocket and as much telemetry.
In palemoon's defence though its more than just an old build of firefox, if you truly care about getting rid of bloat and misfeatures it might be worth another look.

I don't want obsolete builds of firefox, I like the general direction that firefox itself is headed I just don't want the malware bundled with it.

It's not a firefox build anymore, it's not even using gecko.

why not just use firefox to go to stormfront and Sup Forums if they are doing that

github.com/cliqz-oss/browser-core/blob/master/modules/human-web/sources/human-web.es

He need to read the source code again cause it seems to be worse that what he want us to believe.

WTF? When did people like this take over? Firefox is pretty much dead for privacy concerned people.

Waterfox plans to follow upstream Firefox I think, alternatively basically all the bloat/malware can be turned off in about:config. See these pages for a good start, although take the warning seriously or shit might break
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox/Tweaks
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox/Privacy

Waterfox seems like the best option right now. Thanks anons

>Where were you when firefox turned into a literal botnet?
someplace younger and fatter

it's becoming really hard to defend mozilla when they got niggers like that fat kike trying to fuck people over with absolutely no regards to morals

same thing here. most likely they have to slow down ff now in order to boost the performance in 57 for a noticable effect

If you use chromium you might as well use chrome.

pushing out the ceo for privately donating his own money to a traditional marriage political campaign

This. Half the comments are gone, especially the ones exposing cliqz shady behaviour.

This "Human Web" thing sounds kind of neat, if it does what I think it does (that is, it removes SEO and other crap from search results because it sees that users back out from those pages quickly). Sounds like a good way to build a better search engine and finally kill Google.

While the OP's shit may be nothing, this isn't:

ghacks.net/2017/08/30/firefox-webextensions-may-identify-you-on-the-internet/

Enjoy being fingerprinted with ease.

>only affects cucks living in germany
I wish more companies would implement third world country-exclusive botnets to get their profit and leave the American version botnet-free. I'm switching back to firefox because of this.

They're also in Firefox v55.0.3, wow.

I love the PR spin being put on it by a complete stranger who has no affiliation whatsoever with Cliqz or Mozilla. (And I know this for a fact because they said so.)
>we're not recording your mouse movements, we're just recording your mouse movements
lolwat?