/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated - blame /csg/)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL hands-on
gsmarena.com/google_pixel_2_and_pixel_2_xl-review-1665.php

Pixel Buds confirmed use Bluetooth 4.2
androidpolice.com/2017/10/06/google-pixel-buds-can-use-assistant-real-time-translation-costs-159/

Xiaomi Mi A1 goes on sale in Europe
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_a1_goes_on_sale_in_europe-news-27595.php

Opinion: Pixel 2 and 2 XL’s numerous design discrepancies feel like a weird step back to the Nexus days
9to5google.com/2017/10/06/opinion-pixel-2-and-2-xls-numerous-design-discrepancies-feel-like-a-weird-step-back-to-the-nexus-days/

The Pixel 2 will automatically switch to Do Not Disturb mode when you're driving
androidpolice.com/2017/10/06/pixel-2-will-automatically-switch-not-disturb-mode-youre-driving/

Moto G5S Plus review
androidpolice.com/2017/10/06/moto-g5s-plus-review-steadily-advancing-flagship-territory-not-clear/

Google Pixel 2 XL vs LG V30 first look
youtube.com/watch?v=V2lqurWHcqw

MKBHD: Pixel 2 First Impressions
youtu.be/2iObySa91b0

old

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/S3RQTIydUis
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Smart phones for stupid people.

So whats the best I can get in the UK for £400? The pixel xl is going for that much but seems a bit dated given I can get a Oneplus 5 for £450.

Is the Mi Mix 2 worth the money? It costs basically as much as a S8.

reminder that anyone who buys the normal Pixel 2 is a fucking retard

He has been chosen

Its quite expensive rn wait for the price to stabilise
You'd be better off getting the pixle xl for that much if it's the 128gb version that is

Looks like its just the 32gb model

>62792899

G6 or OP5.

When I connect to my Wi-fi my Huawei P8 Lite keeps downlaoding shit, but it doesn't tell me what it's doing. I' ve already blocked the auto install of updates from the Play Store options and there's no download listed in the notification area. My telephone is totally new and Idk what the fuck he's trying to update/doing. I need this shit to stop asap, since it's eroding my bandwidth. Any idea anons?

Looking to replace my old Galaxy SIII. And its pain in the ass considering this:
- fast LTE
- dual sim
- removable battery
- sdcard slot
- high quality camera
- Lineage OS compatibility
Thinking about LG v20, but muh screen quality and bootloop shit...

Why do you need SD slot when there's phones with 64 and 128gb storage?

Yeah, I can pass that point.

Good luck finding a phone with removable battery. It's easy to replace the ones on oneplus phones though

So its nonremovable but removable?

Pretty much
youtu.be/S3RQTIydUis

what are good unlocked budget phones right now for gsm? I just want a phone with good specs and nothing else. So that means battery, cpu, ram, software, and thats it. Screen resolution, front camera, and other fancy features just dont matter to me. GIMMICKS.

I have a lumia 640 right now (1 gig ram Snapdragon 400 Quad 1.2 GHz) on black wireless gsm. Was only 35 bucks a year ago.

Getting sick of windows phone, want to switch back to android. Was looking at huwai ascent xt (2 gigs 1.4 quad) walmart exclusive for 80 bucks (bloatware?) and doogee mixx light for about 120 (stupid dual camera and fingerprint sensor).

Just bought a Mi A1 for myself and the Redmi 4X for my brother.
I bought the Rose gold one.. hopefully its not too feminine.

xz1 compact to replace ip6s?

These are all shit. get the Moto G5.

Das relevant to my interest. Thanks user.

I'm quite worried. Is the rose gold version of this too feminine?

Why should(n't) I get Lelnovo P2?
Also, can anybody confirm whether it works or not with portable DACs, such as FiiO K1? Talking custom roms here.

>rose gold

It's pink, user. The phone is fucking pink.

Enjoy getting invited to lgbt groups on the street famalam

it depends, how often do you wear girl's clothes?

>Moto G5

200 dollars may have been a budget phone 4 years ago but please, get with the times. Thats a flagship price, the new fancy 600 dollar flagships are for people who just love sucking carrier-cock for useless features like iris scanning. Fuck, I've barely done any research and for that price the mixx regular has a way better processor and twice the ram for way less money. Moto's dont even have replaceable batteries ffs, just more trash, no different from the rest.

I upgrade my phone yearly because I know that phones are disposable junk that crack and get outdated, and my salary or needs may change anyways.

Anyways, still looking for phones and advice.

>200 dollars
>Flagship
Maybe from 2012

Fuck. I already bought it. On GearBest the rose gold version was £20 cheaper then the black version.. I also didn't want to choose the gold versoin since my previous phone was the same colour

Do my sister's panties count?

Fucking Android sucks why do people use it over iphones

So what are the best options for around $500 USD?

Get a job you dumb poorfag. $200 is bottom of ther barrel you slimechink.

>the rose gold version was £20 cheaper then the black version
Retard. now you'll have to buy a black case for £20 anyway and the front will still be gay.

my point was that flagships have become increasingly silly and useless. They arent getting much faster, and even if they are, they arent doing the job of a phone better in any way (gooling shit and reading the news). Theyre just adding bloat and useless gimmicks. I cant think of a reason to spend more than 150 on a phone. My reasoning is that if I drop it, I shouldnt bat an eye and just go buy another one. Once we get into 200 dollars, I start thinking of using a cracked phone, which isnt how I want to live.

Still looking for advice one what phone companies are making solid budget phones.

Moto E plus?

OP5
Mi Mix 2
Galaxy S8

200 dollars would be a nicer phone than I need. Why would I pay for more than I need, what would I get for that extra money (please actually answer this, I'm curious, not a troll)?

Still looking for good advice.

Mi A1 or Mi Max 2? Both are about the same price

bump
I am also considering mi note 4 and mi max 2 (which are more chink, and mi max 2 has no decent custom roms (yet))

Phones around the price range and feature set of the One Plus 5?

Right now I would buy the One Plus 5, but I'm not that dug in into the market rn. Are there other good choices at this area?

Well, what is your budget?

Anyone know when the Moto X4 is coming out?

Then get a redmi note 4

I have the money to upgrade but I am perfectly fine with my current phone. p9 lite. The p9 lite does its job.

I looked into buying another huawei phone like honor 9 or the p10 (lite).

Some men wear pink accessories and shirts etc, I don't think its too bad

that looks great

budget is flexible. If something justifies a higher price, then it justifies a higher price. I just want more for my money and doing research on budget phone is much harder since the media focuses so much on comparing new flagships only.

would I have any issues using this in the US? looks great as far as I can tell.

Some men are faggots

Get an old flagship, how about the P9? Its about $250 - $300 or the S7 flat.

Was gonna get a g6 but you all scared me with this bootloop shit. What should I get instead?

so I decided to buy nokia 5
it appears to come with android 7.1
what are some features android now has I should be aware of, last time I had a smartphone was in android 4.0 times

Is the original Mix Mix still worth a buy these days?

G6 probably won't get it since different mobo. Otherwise op5

nexus 5x bootlooped finally after almost hitting 2 years.

Guess I get to shell out 600 bucks for another phone from jewgle.

I'm pretty sure any phone can be purchased unlocked.

I meant to write Mi Mix...

old aging batteries tack an extra 20 bucks on them and dropped software support make them shit. Like the s5 unlocked new is 190 dollars, but I can get a doogee or xiomi or some shit thats better and faster for less.

Maybe, if old flagships and used phone devalued faster, but they just dont, they seem to hold their value really well for one simple reason: the manufacturers make these things in bulk and then stop producing them for years. At worse they sell them at cost, but they are rarely in a rush to sell them, or to try and decrease the cost of production (since they arent producing them). Newer phones from offbrand companies are trying to do these things, whereas major companies are carefully calculating releases on their budget phones to make sure they dont encroach on their own sales. This drags the used market with it. God, why am I explaining shit to Sup Forums, I hardly even come here. Has this whole fucking place been taken over by retards?

So how does the updates for the Mi A1 work? is it going to be 2 years of software updates and 3 of security or is it going to be abandoned this time next year?

Wow so this is what it feels like to own a flagship phone. What is the best phone of 2017? and why is it the Note 8?

Pls don't cry about the price. I live in a 3rd world country whose minimum wage is 10$ a day and can afford this master phone.

Here's hoping it doesn't explode like the last Note phone.

Enjoy your phone and I hope it serves you well.

Are there long term issues with the mi max 2

Protip, you can send it to LG and they'll replace the motherboard for you for free.

i have a nexus 6p right now. it's good but i'm looking to upgrade sometime in the next 6 months. what can i get that'll have the following

>works on verizon
>AMOLED screen
>headphone jack + usb-c
>not absurdly expensive to buy unlocked
>looks good (subjective)

I was thinking about buying pic related, but apparently 4G doesn't work in burgerland (AT&T). Any recommendations, /spg/? I really like this phone cause of the massive battery. I might just go ahead and buy it anyway since 3G does work and that should be okay for internet. But if I could find a phone that matches the below criteria, I'd buy it:

>Big battery, >4k mAh
>Price $100-$200
>Can handle large amounts of storage (my current phone keeps crashing because I have too much music in there)

OnePlus 5

>>Big battery, >4k mAh
>>Price $100-$200
>>Can handle large amounts of storage (my current phone keeps crashing because I have too much music in there)

Take a look at the Xiaomi Mi Max 2. It's got a 5k maH battery, iirc.

Seeing a lot of issues regarding the V30 screen quality. Fuck, so much for a new phone with no compromises. Any S8 owners care to share their experience with the touchwiz lag?

So, I just received my Xperia XZ, and there is something definitely wrong with the saturation and contrast of the screen.
I already found the white balance options and it helped a little, but is there any way to change saturation and contrast? I couldn't find it.

Should I buy an s7? Looking for a phone under 300$. Pictures price is CAD.
Also, what are all these different versions?

Not him but the phone looks great. I wish it was smaller though.

Look them up in GSM Arena.

Considering the size of the battery I am not sure it would be possible to make it smaller.

There's no lag on the S8 and even then you should be using Nova Launcher

I bought a Note 8 to replace my Pixel. Despite the 835 cpu and 2 additional GB of RAM, it runs noticably slower. Battery life is also the same or worse despite having more capacity.

I've heard that custom ROMs can be installed to increase the phone's fluidity and battery life. Does anyone have experience doing this with Samsung phones?

I know that Touchwiz-bazed ROMs supply S-Pen support, but what about Dex station support? Will I need to wait a year for the ROM developers to integrate and test features like these?

Thanks.

It never was

>I've heard that custom ROMs can be installed to increase the phone's fluidity and battery life
Note8 just came out. The exynos version MIGHT get some support.

But since it trips KNOX and disables contactless payments and shit like that, most people don't bother.

Package disabler pro to disable apps you dont use (like bixby). Besides that I fail to see how you can say it's noticeably slower when all tests online show the pixel is usually neck and neck with the Note8 or just slightly faster.

The Note8 does have some micro-stutter like most samsung phones, but it's not actual lag, it doesn't cause the phone to take longer to do things, the animations just stutter occasionally.

Why does LG use such shit screens?

Because they don't have high quality fabs like Samsung

Because they haven't invested money into their smartphone panel production.

I don't want to lose Samsung Pay. :(
I'll look into app disablers.

The phone just isn't as smooth and sometimes there's increased response times which can be frustrating enough to make me close all apps. When running benchmarks or focused applications like rendering in Snapseed it's about the same.

Because Apple and Google paid them to make OLED displays to resist the Samsung OLED monopoly but they haven't gotten good at it yet.

Protip: Go into developer settings and change animation scale and duration to 0.5x speed

Any that work with 4G?

What band and carrier?

MI mix 2 has more bands than any phone so theoretically it should work, but do check 6iyr required bands

Wow. That's way more snappy. Good tip. I still notice a delayed response but the quick animation makes up for it. This should be the default.

How to adblock without root?

I am kind of illiterate in this area, but I'm using AT&T in the US. Quick google search says 2, 4, 5, 17, with 17 supposed to be rolling out in current year.

Check willmyphonework.net and frequency checker.

Dns66 for browser use Firefox with ublock-origin

How trustworthy are chink phones? I like the price and the specs, but I don't like the chinese goverment and I work in a field where we do get targetted. I'm realistic about all phones are able to be hacked, but I don't want it to be preinstalled by a different nationstate.
>nsa
I already have accepted I wont be able to beat them, but they are not a nationstate I am worried about.

Get ones with custom rom support and flash your own os