What is the best free anti-virus program?

what is the best free anti-virus program?
its for my mom

google ultron

windows defender is good enough for all non-retarded people

Download some hosts files, merge them, remove duplicates and then set up a service to keep it updated. Install uBlock Origin in the browser and enable pretty much everything but you should probably leave everything under "Annoyances" unchecked since it might break Facebook and other social media, some can also be omitted because you already have their entries in the hosts file. Then let Windows Defender handle the rest, no need to install yet another botnet.

>Nonretarded people
We're talking about OPs mom here, pal

Yeah but it's OP's mom so she's probably tech illiterate and Windows Defender isn't really for the technological retards.

For OP: I would buy a subscription to Malwarebytes Premium since I doubt she'd care enough to do the manual scans, while the Premium version has auto updates and background scans. Then I would probably get something like ESET, but disable everything but the AV itself. Just get her Chrome or FF and get uBlock and set it up for her.

Linux with a user account that has no password.
No sudo rights.
Browser on startup

Done.

Chrme OS or a linux distro

>being this obvious shill
Take your Malware Premium subscription and shove it up your ass

My mom unironically launches Chrome by right-clicking it and then "Run as administrator". I told her it's a bad idea but she won't listen.

Wew, I recommend a paid anti malware program in an AV recommendation thread

Where do I pick up my check at nigger?

set up applocker and have her use a non-admin account

have ublock origin installed on browsers for privacy and to avoid scams

Set up her computer so she doesn't have the ability to be an administrator.

The problem is it's her computer

You shouldn't be using an administrator account either way. Make her a local user and set UAC to the max setting. If you have Windows Pro or higher set up a software restriction policy.

Ubuntu™

I usually just get malwarebytes premium and avast premier, that seems to keep my tech illiterate family (and in turn, me) happy

>avast
Dude...

I know it's shite but it shuts them up

Mars bars are fucking shit

op here and she is using norton 360 right now but i dont want her to spend 100 dollars on a new subscription so i wanna find her something good and free

Avast. Avira. AVG. Take your pick. I installed Avast on my mom's facebook machine a year ago and it's still running fine. And she's not the savviest.

Or go to AV Comparatives and do your own research.

Try malwarebytes free or just use windefender

Bitdefender

buy malwarebytes and glasswire premium
monitor their network for shady shit and disable it if need be
install adguard for windows on their computer, disable all notifications and shit so they don't even know ads are being blocked
have your own admin account on their computer you can remote into, ensure their accounts are basic users that can still install thing (but if they don't do anything outside of the browser, only allow downloads from windows store)

should be pretty consumer secure, only real problem is really fucked up site popups

Common Sense 2018 Developer Preview Edition

top kek

>buying all this shit
>going through all this trouble
Holy shit, onan.

you asked to child-proof the computer and i provided the solution
>buying all this shit
it's just 2 products and you can skip out on buying glasswire but it's just so comfy

>child-proof
I think you forget that it doesn't take much brain power to not fuck up a computer these days.

Decent browsers are doing half the shit for you already by blocking bad domains and files. You don't have to deal with PCs like you're a paid, paranoid system admin. You install a decent antivirus (and maybe mbam) and a software firewall like Comodo or ZA and move on with your life.

Her brain

>You install a decent antivirus (and maybe mbam) and a software firewall
uh which is exactly what I was recommending