it's happening

> it's happening

Other urls found in this thread:

puri.sm/shop/librem-5/
puri.sm/posts/librem5-gnome-and-kde-collaboration/
puri.sm/posts/librem5-roadmap-to-imx8/
puri.sm/posts/librem-5-touch-and-web-browsing/
gnome.org/news/2017/09/gnome-foundation-partners-with-purism-to-support-its-efforts-to-build-the-librem-5-smartphone/
youtube.com/watch?v=4SwE9W8JasA
samsung.com/us/mobile/mobile-accessories/phones/galaxy-s8-keyboard-cover--black-ej-cg950bbegww/
matrix.org/blog/2017/08/24/the-librem-5-from-purism-a-matrix-native-smartphone/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

*delays for two years anyway*

Six months from now and all you retard backers lose your money, and get nothing. Morons.

>It'll die just as the others

>2017
>still believing that it's possible to be secure and private in an online world
Just embrace the botnet already

classic arbitrary hate from Sup Forums on something that looks promising

the fact that people are willingly using services that suck away their privacy is a separate issue from your phone being a million times more locked down than a personal computer. There's absolutely no reason that users can't have a full computer experience on mobile.

the bar for "full computer experience" is so low too. It includes basic things such as:
- being able to access any files on your device out of the box (like you can on your computer)
- being able to browse the full web (like you can on your computer)
- being able to view multiple windows side-by-side when connected to a monitor (like you can on you computer (solved in like 1990s btw))
- being able to transfer files by connecting to network shares (like you can on your computer)

and more advanced things like:
- being able to install any operating system on your phone (like you can on your computer)
- being able to open a *real* terminal on your phone (like you can on your computer)
- being able to compile code by downloading the necessary packages from your package manager (like you can on your computer)
- being able to go to most project's github, look at and download the code for most project, and compile/run it (like you can on your computer)

Okay, services like Google, Netflix and Facebook still exist. Does that negate the importance of any of the above? What specifically makes all those things *COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE* on a 5-inch screen, but totally fine on a 24-inch one? Haven't you ever felt a tad limited in any way by your phone?

The campaign is here: puri.sm/shop/librem-5/ with a lot more info, obviously I backed it.

>classic arbitrary hate from Sup Forums on something that looks promising
It basically wants to rebuild from scratch what other projects like Leemo/Mer/Utouch/Kde/whatever have spent many, many millions of dollars on, on a way tighter budget.
On top of that, it wants to port a pain-in-the-ass to modify desktop environment to the mobile, instead of writing a simple interface in Qt, like other projects have done, or port an existing convergent one, and ON TOP OF THAT MAMMOTH EFFORT, also write the drivers for this shit, BESIDES the actual hardware.

Excuse Sup Forums for being skeptical.

hope they dont make the screen larger than 5" ill be backing this next week when i get my autism paycheck
nice blog retard

Dude, this phone will flop like their laptops.
Get over it and by an iPhone.

>hope they dont make the screen larger than 5"
Is this a generally agreed upon opinion?

puri.sm/posts/librem5-gnome-and-kde-collaboration/

All software changes to enhance the mobile interface are upstream ones that are more oriented around making Gnome/KDE more responsive to a smaller screen size, rather than trying to replace it with a botched mobile-only version. It's about the future of Gnu/Linux on a phone form factor.

Additionally, there are hardware killswitches that *by definition* assuage paranoia privacy woes. And even if the Gnu/Linux mobile app ecosystem continues to suck, free to dual boot Android, problem solved.

if you're hating on this phone, you probably haven't looked into it. if you're still hating on it after that, then you must just be a pessimist. It's a step towards a better future, not the usual "Let's reinvent the phone from scratch!" campaigns.

Jolla had way more than that and they weren't even able to port their os to an existing device.
What makes you believe they'll be able to create a whole device with this kind of money?

Personally I'm looking forward for this to be smach Z'ed

Why an iPhone out of all options?

From their campaign page:

> WHY DON’T YOU BUILD A FREE UI ONTOP OF MER (SAILFISH OS)? OR RESURRECT FIREFOX OS? OR INSERT-NAME-HERE?
> Because we want to promote a pure and unified stack, not have a separate mobile OS with proprietary bits or a completely different middleware stack. We want to support the community efforts of GNOME and KDE*, and allow for any GNU+Linux to work out-of-the-box providing mainline improvements that work not just on mobile but across the device spectrum. The Librem 5 is a new approach to use a regular Linux system and adopt it to mobile use-cases instead of creating a completely new system. We do not create a walled garden, instead we tear down these walls, creating an open utopia. A fully standards-based freedom-oriented system, based on Debian and many other upstream projects, has never been done before–we will be the first to seriously attempt this.

why would I want a phone with no apps?

and in what way will that reduce R&D, production line, components (which are all more expensive for such small runs) and all other kinds of cost for implementing their OS?
Oh right, it does not.
Thinking 1.5 million is even close to enough to make this possible just shows how extra Sup Forumsirgin this place has become over the years.

Do you have a computer with no apps? It will run Gnu/Linux programs out of the box, or you're free to dual boot your own Android OS if you want, like a computer.

The pitch is a 5-inch touchscreen, ARM computer, with a disconnectable cell radio and usbc

They've been very transparent about their roadmap, and they've successfully funded their purism laptops in the past: puri.sm/posts/librem5-roadmap-to-imx8/

From their campaign page also:
> The Librem 5 phone started a little over 1.5 years ago, selecting hardware that would work to create a PureOS based phone, that would not rely upon Android. We have added team members to do all the research and development, and after testing the hardware to confirm we can meet our goals, we are now at the point of seeking preorders to prove the demand and fund the manufacturing.

And there's a chart of their expected timelines underneath that blurb.

They've also made the following comments under the "Updates" tab:
> "if all the people who filled out our phone survey a few months ago backed the $599 Librem 5, we would cross the $1.5 million mark immediately."

And posted this blog post about working with the hardware so far: puri.sm/posts/librem-5-touch-and-web-browsing/

Like said earlier, people against this either haven't looked into it, or are being pessimistic. There doesn't appear to be any reason to assume Purism isn't acting in good faith on these updates, and after considering all the factors $600 seems like a reasonable risk for people that actually want this.

This. It is not solely about privacy, but the freedom of using a device you bought in the way you want. The processor in my phone is more powerful than that of my laptop, but I can't do shit with it. And even if you just want to do basic stuff, you still have to deal with stuff like bloatware you can't uninstall, not to mention that most people don't receive updates because of nonfree drivers. A phone could easily replace a laptop for most people

gnome.org/news/2017/09/gnome-foundation-partners-with-purism-to-support-its-efforts-to-build-the-librem-5-smartphone/
This is actually real

It'd ugly,

I just want the software

More privacy centric than Android phones (unless you flash something like LineageOS without gapps).

I am excited about this as well. I am not sure whether there would be open hardware in the phone or just the software part, but still, I will definitely buy it.

youtube.com/watch?v=4SwE9W8JasA

Where can I bet $1500 that this phone either won't ship, or will be massively compromised when it does?

My only legit fear with this is that a lot of other people is going to expect that this phone is going to run their hundred of shitty android apps

nimOS when?

Someone made a very simple kernel using Nim. It's in preconception stage right now.

$599 for a $150 phone.
Your propaganda won't work here, it's garbage and fill fail miserably.

>Purism isn't acting in good faith
I never said they did. Neither did Jolla. But 1.5 million won't be enough to fund that shit, just like 2.5 weren't enough to fund the jolla tablet. And Jolla had working devices before the tablet as well, they "only" faced the challenge to upgrade their OS from smartphone only to a viable tablet os.
Things'll be much harder for the Librem, but you'll find out about this within the next one and a half years.

The future is a little bit brighter

>no physical keyboard

Kde is ok, given they've already ported their stuff to mobile.
But it's primarily a Gnome phone.
And gnome hasn't done this, and is notoriously hard to work with.

>It's a step towards a better future, not the usual "Let's reinvent the phone from scratch!" campaigns.
No, it's "let's fucking make the entire mobile stack, build all the hardware, and write the driver, too", which might as well be "let's remake the phone from scratch"

Too expensive

oh ok no point in trying then. how do you think that anything gets made?

nothing is being reinvented, the pitch is already existing open source projects are only be made more user friendly on smaller form factors

this isn't Gnome Lite the Fork IV: Rebirth, it's normal Gnome on a smaller screen. And they're working KDE as well. And failing all that, you can install anything you want on it, which sadly is already a huge plus even for the Android world.

anbox

This is a really great scam, just like their laptops that are supposedly free/libre.

>will run an actual Linux terminal
>complain it has no software
Some of us grown-ups are okay with, and even enjoy, using software with an entirely text-based interface. I can't think of much I wouldn't be able to do from the command line. I've even seen CLI clients for Twitter and YouTube. If this phone had a keyboard and long battery life it would be my dream phone.
although I will admit I'd prefer to have a graphical music player on my phone even though I like cmus.

I'm not sure how many of them will work well in a 5-inch touchscreen. Still kind of a anyone accustomed to using the terminal. Gnome and KDE will probably have, or will have in time for lunch, the basic functionality like scheduling and email working in the same childish touch base controls normies are used to.

looks like shit, at least put some effort into the mockup. I bet the final product is going to be awful

DOA.

They actually updated the other mock-ups on the page, just not the video pictured in the OP.

It's now slimmer looking, see puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

>yet another android fork
o boy cant wait

Are you retarded?it has Debian in it+mods on it.

please read anything on this page or the campaign, it's 0% Android.

puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

>Some of us grown-ups are okay with, and even enjoy, using software with an entirely text-based interface

Fuck off, elitist faggot. I like the CLI too, but a text-based interface on a cell phone is retarded for obvious reasons.

>hardware kill switch
im sold :^D

it's astonishing how many people on Sup Forums are ignorant children who can't read.

Most of what I do on my smartphone involves text
>notes in markdown (I use Vim Touch to write them and Writeily Pro to read them.)
>scheduling (at minimum have to write a simple name of the event or appointment)
>email (if I were to use mutt I'd be able to compose emails with Vim)
>text messages with family (I've made it very clear that I hate emoji)
>shitposting while out of the home/on public transit
I don't see using terminal programs on a smartphone as that strange, especially if it has a keyboard. I really hope there's a way to add a foldable keyboard to this thing. I prefer a portrait keyboard like on recent Blackberries but I'd settle for a landscape keyboard like a Nokia N900.

The Gnome and KDE developers will probably let you do most of that without installing extra apps anyway. I just love the idea of using the same terminal programs I already use on my other computers. This phone will probably have a better text editor than anything on Android at launch. . .

>5 people have put 20k into it.
Wew lads. This project is going somewhere for sure.

Samsung has a mini pluggable keyboard for the s7 or s8 that is flush with the phone. Best compromise?

samsung.com/us/mobile/mobile-accessories/phones/galaxy-s8-keyboard-cover--black-ej-cg950bbegww/

kind of. After getting that keyboard, you're suggesting $800 for a phone that runs an operating system I don't like.

Can I ghetto hack it to run on a Moto G4? That's my current Crapp-Droid. I bought it because my One M8 broke and I couldn't stand using my older S3.
Attaching the keyboard on to the screen is an interesting idea though. Seems like a compromise between functionality and multimedia consumption.

>gnome
>kde
It's shit. Will I be able to run something like xfce on it? Or will that be highly awkward and unusable?

no, you'll get some chinkshit with ubuntu and some skin.

you can do whatever you want, and install whatever you want on it.

xfce might not look very nice on a screen that small, but you could switch between desktop environments while docked, or run a different OS while not docked.

Developers

KDE's been developing a touchscreen based interface for like 5+ years at this point. It still kinda sucks but having actual devices running it should improve it quickly. Gnome's just going to be gnome, XFCE has only one specific minimal desktop use case, would not recommend.

Holy shit the shilling is real

Kinda reminds me of the Ubuntu Edge phone on kickstarter.

Does this company have any other projects/product or are they completely new?

They're really young company, founded in 2014, but they have far more experience with hardware than Canonical. trhey currently cell privacy focus laptops similar to this phone ther their pitching along with a tablet that docks into a keyboard. They all run their debian-based distro that they plan to adapt to this phone. It certainly looks more promising than that Neo 900. I think this is their third time crowdfunding a project.

They also promised nvidia chips in their original proposal, they're learning fast but they are pretty retarded about free hardware AND free software. I think their proposed solution is to not include GSM radios at all at this point. Not really a phone in any sense then.

>no keyboard
it's shit

>I think their proposed solution is to not include GSM radios at all at this point. Not really a phone in any sense then.
MFW

I think my current phone can function as a mobile WiFi hotspot. Maybe I could keep it around for my Normie tasks and do everything serious on Libreum 5.

Now that I typed that out, it sounds really stupid. I hope they reconsider, especially since it's going to have a kill switch for baseband anyway. I'm on Verizon so if I were to buy this phone I'd have to switch carriers. . .

Where's it say no GSM? This is from their FAQ on the campaign page:
>The Librem 5 is an open network phone, not locked to any particular network. It will work in all countries that provide 2G/3G/4G, GSM, UMTS, or LTE-based network services.

The guy did an interview a bit ago, there was going to be a slot for you to replace the radio card controlled by the OS, I believe. It was on Leo's show.

security,privacy, ARM

topkek

I agree with everything you wrote, but there's no way anyone can read this post without thinking "shill." I wish there were more companies doing this/less failures in the past.

The phone at least is fucked. In theory you can get a phone running cms and separate the online parts but good luck.

Android can do almost all of those things and you can already run Linux on rooted phones to do the few things it can't.

id love an alternative to ios or android but that looks like a hybrid between ugly ass old IOS and ugly ass old android

You can't really linux on rooted phones, you can linux on top of android and that's shit.

The one thing not a single android phone can do is separate the baseband from the CPU

That alone is enough to make me want to buy the phone

THIS

I don't even want a phone, but I do want tablet patches to make their way into gnome to better support my thinkpad convertible, or pure linux roms to come out for my old smartphones.

Sailfish was dope as fuck, but GTK+, git, ssh, bash, and python would make apps fun to write.

The Jolla Tablet flopped because one big investor pulled out at the end.

will I be able to install the kde phone ui thing on it

brought to you by your neighborhood NSA/FrontOrganization

Which still doesn't counter the fact that jolla had way more money for a much simpler project.

Indeed.

you can install whatever you want on it

in the case of KDE they're also working with them directly, but your question might as well read "will I be able to install the kde phone UI thing [on my computer]"

their argument is this is not a bigger project since all changes build off existing solutions rather than reinvent the wheel. They also said the campaign. is mostly to gauge interest, and that they're posted multiple roadmaps (linked above) on how they want to do this phone

>- being able to access any files on your device out of the box (like you can on your computer)
>- being able to browse the full web (like you can on your computer)
>- being able to view multiple windows side-by-side when connected to a monitor (like you can on you computer (solved in like 1990s btw))
>- being able to transfer files by connecting to network shares (like you can on your computer)
>- being able to open a *real* terminal on your phone (like you can on your computer)
>- being able to go to most project's github, look at and download the code for most project,
>- being able to install any operating system on your phone (like you can on your computer)

All possible on Android phones.

True except for the last one, in most cases its near-impossible to dual-boot or replace android (with another distro or windows or macOS - for that matter even sailfishOS or whatever it's called has extremely limited support).

without using a GNU/Linux chroot and a weird VNC solution? "All possible on Android phones." is a very misleading statement, considering most phones cannot be rooted or even have the bootloader unlocked

Why in the fuck would I want Windows or MacOS on my phone? What is honestly wrong with you people?

A phone is a fucking phone, not something to use as a full fledged OS.

>look at the spec
>says it will have either i.MX6 or i.MX8 SoC
>i.MX6 has Cortex-A9 while i.MX8 has Cortex-A72
>that's like saying it will have either 150cc scooter engine from 1995 or 2.7L V6 pick-up truck engine from 2016

It's clear the "engineers," if they actually have any, have no fucking idea what even goes into a smartphone.

>privacy and security focused phone
>'privacy and security'
now where did i hear that phrase that months later they got caught selling data

First of all, you completely ignored the "Linux distro" part of my argument. Yeah, I don't want windows or macos either, but I do want proper gnu+linux.

Second, if normal smartphones can't install those, don't claim that they can even if you think they don't need to be able to. I was just pointing out that your claim is demonstrably false.

I am having such a hard time deciding to back this. I love it but I wish it wasn't $600. But, it makes sense since this is very niche. I love how Gnome and KDE are going to help so it gives me a lot of hope :)

Lmao, OUYA wants his shitty marketing back

>not working prototype
>not a dump of the OS that will be used
>no proof of all the gimmicky shit like "worlds first ever IP-native mobile" and "fully standards based freedom"
>anthropomorphic design from 2009 era
>"a security and privacy phone"

Just get a black phone if you want to throw away your money with that shit

They've also been very vocal with their progress so far on both the hardware and software fronts:
- puri.sm/posts/librem5-roadmap-to-imx8/
- puri.sm/posts/librem-5-touch-and-web-browsing/

IP-native as in outgoing calls and messages default to Matrix when a wifi/data connection is available:
- matrix.org/blog/2017/08/24/the-librem-5-from-purism-a-matrix-native-smartphone/

>i.MX8M
>only Cortex-A53
>for phone to be released in 2018 or 2019

Lol no thx

Unix

that's like saying android is linux
it's not
you can't touch any of the linux parts

literally the thinkpad of phones
reminds me of the gobi modems

>>- being able to install any operating system on your phone (like you can on your computer)
let me know when I can install windows server 2008 or reactos

primary feature of this is the privacy/open aspect of it you dense nigger
if you want to be a consumer whore just buy a fucking iphone, this isn't for you

>not just finding a generic phone with a recent qcom soc and spending all your money writing fully open source drivers for everything on the phone (the gpu part is already done).

Better than a shitty overpriced phone that needs hardware switches that have to be turned off so that it can be fully open source.

I'm pretty sure I could just carry a Nokia 3310 instead, which will be just as secure as this phone with about the same web page rendering performance (think about it).

>
Yeah dude, pay $600 for a non-existent mid range that won't release in 2 years making it near $150 when it does

>intentionally missing the point
You still have to pick an OS whose instruction set is compatible with the processor, that's true for desktop computers as well.

Windows Server 2008 is for intel machines only, ReactOS can probably run since it's open source, but it wouldn't execute intel exes

>intel machines only
what