Worst Windows OS

Sup Forums, I need to know what version of Windows is the worst. My friend says Vista, I say Windows 8, do you know any worse?

Windows ME: Mistake Edition.

This. And it was supposed to be an upgrade to Windows 2000.

Vista was fine SP2 on decent hardware. 8.1 is also fine, and I'm running it as my daily.

Not a fan of 10, and not because of muh botnet meme. Agile is cancer, and Windows as a Service is a mistake.

You also need 10 Pro to disable auto updates.
I can't stand the "Modern" UI of 8/8.1. Absolute garbage.

Bob.

>hurr durr Vista was bad xd
I bet he's one of the fags that glorifies 7. Windows 7 was a re-brand of Vista.
Here are all the great improvements in NT 6.1 over 6.0:

- Less locking of data in memory by program threads
- "Optimized" OS start-up
- _Default_ UAC settings not as annoying
- Hardware vendors got their collective thumbs out of their asses and wrote drivers for the new kernel

That's it.

>You also need 10 Pro to disable auto updates.
I'd need pro no matter which version, as I bind everything to AD.

>I can't stand the "Modern" UI of 8/8.1.
Classic shell, and Metro doesn't bother me.

windows 10 is the worst at heart but I can't really say for what's worst functionally

or you can just use ultimate tweak tool

Winblows 10, definitely, but 8.x comes close too.

Windows 10. Easily.

Windows ME

Vista was basically W7 Alpha Edition, not that bad. W8 was probably the worst one but W10 isn't far, they already made too many bad decisions to make W10 redeem itself.

8 in itself was bad. Unusable.
8.1 isn't bad at all, though - I've been using it since 2015 and after installing few things like OldNewExplorer and Classic Menu Start it's just like windows 7 without that much update bloat.
And I can't even remember when was the last time I was forced to bother with ModernUI.

Win10, though... the way they redesigned parts of the OS without bothering to chance other stuff is annoying, also botnet. So I'd say win10 is the worst.

I've only used 7 and 10, as I moved to OpenBSD on my primary desktop.

10 gets my vote for being worst; it's shocking how terrible the UI/UX and frequent BSODs (on a freshly booted, totally idle machine!) are.

Windows vista was alright, just bloated, it used like 1.5-2gb ram just for the OS

>And it was supposed to be an upgrade to Windows 2000.
No, it wasn't, 2000 was for businesses and ME was for consumers.

Windows ME was such an abortion back in the day it caused me to install Linux and use it full time (this was back when you had to get Linux on a CD out of a magazine or something).

ME was an outgrowth of Windows 95/98, not 2000 (which was NT based).

The problem with 98 and SE is that so much shit got piled on top of DOS and then Windows 95 that it became a jenga-ish house of cards. Same thing happened with later versions of MacOS (classic).

>That's it.

That's all that was needed, user.

>No, it wasn't
Yes, it was. Microsoft was pushing it as to end users as an upgrade from Windows 2000.

I understand that. But as stated above, it was still pushed to consumers as an upgrade to Windows 2000.

I was a TAM in 2000/2001. Microsoft management was very clear - For the consumer, ME is the upgrade for Windows 2000. I actually got let go for not drinking the ME coolaid...

>all these kids saying 10
what I would give to live a life where the worst operating system I used was 10

Vista. 8 is better than 10 after upgrading to 8.1

In the last 10 years?

Windows 10

Of all time?
ME

There are innumerous micro changes that makes it light-years ahead Vista. But yes, it's just Vista 2.0

What is this? Are you and your friend twelve?

You are so cruel, user.

worst
windows 98
windows me
windows vista
windows 8
windows 10

best
windows 98se
windows 2000
windows xp
windows 7

>Windows 7 was a re-brand of Vista

windows 7 is a POLISHED version of Vista, it's what they should've released instead of rushing product. as other have said, SP2 was fine on Vista, but Microsoft had to wash it's hands of the name.

almost all of Windows operating systems, aside from ME, was shit out the gate and fixed greatly by SP1 and made stable with SP2. XP, at first launch, was pretty horrendous, so many driver issues and registry exploits.

Another point is Vista should be sold with 2GB of ram instead of 512MB.

>2000
>good

2000 was the best OS of M$.

windows 8 is a fake tablet OS. For that it gets worst.

>took 3 years to rebrand and """Polish""" (realistically just wait for manufacturers to shit out better hardware and encourage people to upgrade)
classic microsoft

Windows 98

that memory/ram leakage thing was annoying, the system was useless if you opened too many windows/browser,etc, you were forced to restart just to clear that up.

Same to windows 8 to 10.

Windows 10. Seriously this fuckness is less stable than good old 7.
Also it sometimes wants to make decisions for user (it literally refused to install older corel becaus "it was too old" but it hasnt problem with installing office 2007 being even older than that corel).

What was wrong with 7 microsoft?
You jad literally a perfect windows and all you needed is to give small polish to code to reduce used space/ram/procesor power, add compatibility with even new stuff and you jad another perfect moneymaker OS.
But no, you decided to give shit metro, shit botnet, shit bloat and some sort of retarted AI what sometimes does what it wants.

Windows 7 is a fucking peak of windows evolution after that it started to mutate and develop cancer.

>tfw you'll never boot up Vista and see that aesthetic UI for the first time again

Doesn't apply because 10 actually ripped a fuck load out of 8 on top of visual changes whereas from Vista to 7 there wasn't much change, visual or not.
It was the first and only time taking 3 years to do nothing but rebranding actually worked.

Windows ME

God Tier:
Windows 2000/NT
Windows 7
Windows 3.1

Usable tier:
Windows XP
Windows 98
Windows 8.1
Windows 3.0

Should've been better:
Windows 95
Windows 10

why.jpg tier:
Windows ME
Windows Vista
Windows 8

>why.jpg tier:
>Windows ME
Make money with new millennium.
>Windows Vista
Beta of win 7 like Win 98 was to 98 SE
>Windows 8
Muh convergency.

Win95.

Fuck that fucking piece of fuck

10's UI is pretty inconsistent too.

FINALIZED EDITION THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

God Tier:
Windows 2000/NT
Windows 3.1

Recommended tier:
Windows 7
Windows XP
Windows 98

Usable tier:
Windows 8.1
Windows 3.0

Should've been better tier:
Windows 95
Windows 10

why.jpg tier:
Windows ME
Windows Vista
Windows 8

>And it was supposed to be an upgrade to Windows 2000.
No it wasn't. They were part of separate product lines, XP unified consumer and enterprise systems under NT.

Me and 2000 were released separately, for personal and business use respectively. Me was an upgrade for 9x, 2000 for NT. Me was originally going to be the synthesis of the two operating systems, but this was eventually pushed back to Whistler, aka XP.

The initial intention was for 98se to be the last of the legacy 9x systems and for Me to synthesise the home and pro markets with an NT-based system, as XP ended up doing. Microsoft realised this would create too many compatibility issues at the time and the channels remained separate.

2000 was never intended for home use, even though it's excellent.

fbpb

(Vista and Windows 8 were horrid launch, after sp1 or sp2 they were so much better)

Vista on release was total shit and gave it a bad name, after a few patches it was fine, hence the rebrand of 7 I guess.

Forget the 'Worst', come home to the Best. Why is Server 2008 R2 so comfy, Sup Forums?

I think i used windows 8's at my school, they had some beta version of it but i didn't like it. Always stuck to windows 7. Vista sucked, xp was gold but too old and no updates and compability issues

>Vista on release was total shit and gave it a bad name
The biggest problem was every OEM shitbox being labeled "Vista Ready", as well as hardware manufacturers being slow to release decent drivers, and software developers taking a long time to start writing proper Vista-aware code which caused a lot of problems with programs throwing up unnecessary UAC prompts or not throwing one up when needed.

Ms Bob is the best os, you must be mistaken.

Windows 10. I'm pretty sure this is already common knowledge.

you are gay

why is this a thing so pathetic gay neckbeard fags go back to your basement

95, 98(prior to se) and millenium edition are all fucking abominations.

Using a insecure os as a server os, why tho

very nice operaitng systme

>98
>good

No you're just confusing the fact that SE made it usable. It was dogshit and then it just became shit with se. The only reason you think it wasn't shit was because you had to deal with 95 and baseline 98.

Compared to 3.1 and dos it was garbage.

Anyone in this thread who named anything besides 95, 98 and me was probably born after the year 2000 and needs to /leave/.

Why was everything better before?

I am justing using this insecure server os, as a desktop os... Why not? it's basically Windows 7 x64, with more 'Enterprise' features and applications, with dare I say it, more stability? Thing hasn't crashed on me once...

You don't need to play though here, user. You're with friends.